BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Focus RS vs. M2, Focus wins???

05-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #45
Namloc
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1zbo View Post
Funny turn of events for me as I now have both an M2 on order(without any PW despite ordering in Dec 2015) and a Focus RS that will be delivered beginning of June.

I have not driven the RS yet but plan to the coming weekend. The M2 I have driven already so it will be interesting to compare.

The plan is to sell the RS before I take delivery of the M2.
Ditto, I have ended up in exactly the same situation here downunder, ordered both in October last year. The RS is arriving in July, the M2 is being built in July arriving in September. I then have one month (the limit imposed by my financial controller) to decide between them. The way demand is on both here I don't expect to loose much on selling which ever comes second. Should be a fun comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 06:01 AM   #46
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namloc View Post
Ditto, I have ended up in exactly the same situation here downunder, ordered both in October last year. The RS is arriving in July, the M2 is being built in July arriving in September. I then have one month (the limit imposed by my financial controller) to decide between them. The way demand is on both here I don't expect to loose much on selling which ever comes second. Should be a fun comparison.
Ah, I remembered reading about someone else on here in the same situation. I suppose it was you

For me it was not really a planned purchase. More of an interim solution as my delivery date for my M2 seems to be pushed to Q4 or Q1 2017... :/

I am sure the RS will be a great car and I will enjoy it immensely but I suspect the M2 will still be more describable for me in the end.
I like RWD better than AWD but will definitely give the RS a fair chance.

Have you been able to test drive the RS yet?

I actually managed to get a discount on the RS so I am hoping the residuals when selling after about 3 months will be quite OK

Br
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #47
Namloc
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I remembered reading about someone else on here in the same situation. I suppose it was you

For me it was not really a planned purchase. More of an interim solution as my delivery date for my M2 seems to be pushed to Q4 or Q1 2017... :/

I am sure the RS will be a great car and I will enjoy it immensely but I suspect the M2 will still be more describable for me in the end.
I like RWD better than AWD but will definitely give the RS a fair chance.

Have you been able to test drive the RS yet?

I actually managed to get a discount on the RS so I am hoping the residuals when selling after about 3 months will be quite OK

Br
I haven't driven either car yet and am oscillating between the two as I read different reviews. I am trying to stay neutral about my decision until I can drive both in anger.

My heart is probably with the M2, once I have driven and experienced the RWD and 6 cylinder, it might be impossible to sell it but then my head is amazed by the how fantastic the RS appears to be as an all rounder. I have owned almost every hot hatch worth having, starting with a Peugeot 205 GTI, Golf GTI, Clio 182 Cup, ST Focus, Megane RS and AMG A45, so the Focus RS is so appealing to continue those hot hatch experiences.

Having 2 or 3 months with the RS and then a month with both should give me a great opportunity to decide. Both are manual and in their respective hero blue colours.

Bring it on is all I can say!! Best of luck choosing
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:14 PM   #48
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

M2 beats Focus RS by almost 2 secs at Rockingham Super Sportscar Circuit, (1.94 miles long). Test done by EVO UK, a very reputable magazine...

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1263410

I think that lays to rest which is a better track car under "normal" conditions...
      05-20-2016, 06:56 AM   #49
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I haven't driven either car yet and am oscillating between the two as I read different reviews. I am trying to stay neutral about my decision until I can drive both in anger.

My heart is probably with the M2, once I have driven and experienced the RWD and 6 cylinder, it might be impossible to sell it but then my head is amazed by the how fantastic the RS appears to be as an all rounder. I have owned almost every hot hatch worth having, starting with a Peugeot 205 GTI, Golf GTI, Clio 182 Cup, ST Focus, Megane RS and AMG A45, so the Focus RS is so appealing to continue those hot hatch experiences.

Having 2 or 3 months with the RS and then a month with both should give me a great opportunity to decide. Both are manual and in their respective hero blue colours.

Bring it on is all I can say!! Best of luck choosing
Wow, thats an impressive list of hot hatches you have owned.

The seating position is pretty poor in the RS compared to M2.
The shell seats are to high and the steering weel does not come close enough to the driver.

Also straight line performance seems a bit unimpressive for the ford and I honestly thought the M2 could have easily had 50hp more. Could be because I am cooming from a C63 AMG
My gut freling is I will like the M2 better but I am sure both are great cars but with different qualities.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #50
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
M2 beats Focus RS by almost 2 secs at Rockingham Super Sportscar Circuit, (1.94 miles long). Test done by EVO UK, a very reputable magazine...

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1263410

I think that lays to rest which is a better track car under "normal" conditions...
Those results are exactly in line with my expectations.

The Ford is still a great car for it's price and an impressive achievment by Ford IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #51
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Test drove the RS this weekend and here are my impressions after a 30 min test drive. Will try and describe how I think it compares to the M2 as best I can.

Engine - Very linear and great response for a turbocharged 4-pot.
Enginesound - not that nice and far from the M2s i6.
Power delivery was decent but lacked a bit top end. Felt a bit flat the last 500 rpms felt a bit unnecessary.
Feels a bit underwhelming in terms of straight line pace compared to the M2. However that was expected looking at different magazines acceleration numbers.

Chassie and drive train - Very impressed of how the torque vectoring made the car feel very rear biased. Will be interesting to explore the limits of grip on a wet road when I take delivery of mine.
Seems like a far more entertaining 4wd system than the haldex-based cars.

Very nice and direct steering with both good weight and feel. Felt similar to the M2s but a but more direct and a bit nervous.

Suspension was quite firm in the softest setting but the car felt very controlled over bumpy roads and in corners.
It did however not feel as wide and glued to the road as the M2. It can be due to the high seating position in the car as the actual grip seems immense.
It just feels like a "taller" and narrower car when you chuck it in to corners. Hard to explain.

Suspension is probably a little bit softer than the M2. However in the firmer damper setting the RS ride was much firmer than the M2s. Pretty much useless on normal roads.

Interior is not as nice as the M2 and the optional Recaro shell seats do not offer any height adjustment so you tend to end up sitting to high up in the car.
M2 has a much better driving position as you can sit low in the car and also as the steering wheels reach can be adjusted much closer to the driver. And as I am pretty tall and is seated far back that is quite important.

All in all I suppose the RS lived up to all my expectations. That being said they were lower than for the M2.
I still personally much prefer the M2 over the RS for these main reasons:
-Looks, both interior and exterior
-Seating position
-Engine character
-RWD layout

Price difference in my case is negligable, about 5K dollars/euros

Br
Appreciate 5
      05-30-2016, 06:54 AM   #52
Namloc
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Test drove the RS this weekend and here are my impressions after a 30 min test drive. Will try and describe how I think it compares to the M2 as best I can.

Engine - Very linear and great response for a turbocharged 4-pot.
Enginesound - not that nice and far from the M2s i6.
Power delivery was decent but lacked a bit top end. Felt a bit flat the last 500 rpms felt a bit unnecessary.
Feels a bit underwhelming in terms of straight line pace compared to the M2. However that was expected looking at different magazines acceleration numbers.

Chassie and drive train - Very impressed of how the torque vectoring made the car feel very rear biased. Will be interesting to explore the limits of grip on a wet road when I take delivery of mine.
Seems like a far more entertaining 4wd system than the haldex-based cars.

Very nice and direct steering with both good weight and feel. Felt similar to the M2s but a but more direct and a bit nervous.

Suspension was quite firm in the softest setting but the car felt very controlled over bumpy roads and in corners.
It did however not feel as wide and glued to the road as the M2. It can be due to the high seating position in the car as the actual grip seems immense.
It just feels like a "taller" and narrower car when you chuck it in to corners. Hard to explain.

Suspension is probably a little bit softer than the M2. However in the firmer damper setting the RS ride was much firmer than the M2s. Pretty much useless on normal roads.

Interior is not as nice as the M2 and the optional Recaro shell seats do not offer any height adjustment so you tend to end up sitting to high up in the car.
M2 has a much better driving position as you can sit low in the car and also as the steering wheels reach can be adjusted much closer to the driver. And as I am pretty tall and is seated far back that is quite important.

All in all I suppose the RS lived up to all my expectations. That being said they were lower than for the M2.
I still personally much prefer the M2 over the RS for these main reasons:
-Looks, both interior and exterior
-Seating position
-Engine character
-RWD layout

Price difference in my case is negligable, about 5K dollars/euros

Br
Thanks F1zbo - an excellent well balanced review.

I suspect this is where I'll also end up when I get a chance to compare both cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 03:30 AM   #53
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks F1zbo - an excellent well balanced review.

I suspect this is where I'll also end up when I get a chance to compare both cars.

Thank's.
Of course very subjective but as someone also cross shopping between the two cafs I hope it has some relevance

I am taking delivery of the RS next week so soon, when the car has been run in properly, I can give some more thoughts on the car.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised by was the fact that the damper setting ican be used independently fromthe driving modes.
As many car journalists has complained about the stiff ride in track mode I assumed it had the damper setting fixed to the drive mode.
Turns out it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #54
Namloc
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thank's.
Of course very subjective but as someone also cross shopping between the two cafs I hope it has some relevance

I am taking delivery of the RS next week so soon, when the car has been run in properly, I can give some more thoughts on the car.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised by was the fact that the damper setting ican be used independently fromthe driving modes.
As many car journalists has complained about the stiff ride in track mode I assumed it had the damper setting fixed to the drive mode.
Turns out it isn't.
Have you got your car yet? What are your first impressions?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #55
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have you got your car yet? What are your first impressions?
Hey!
Yes, picked it up today at the dealer some 400kms from home so I got a lot of time in the car today on my back home. Of course, as it is not run in yet I have not been close to exploiting any of the potential.

Having had about 4hrs seat time in one go I must say it is a really fun car and most of my initial impressions are still valid.
Engine, steering and suspension is great. However it does tramline a bit on uneaven surfaces.
Shell seats seating position still too high.
Road noise quite acceptable. Similar to m2.
Fuel consumption very reasonable despite some fairly quick motorway driving and very tight engine.

Upgraded stereo is only OK.

Would gladly answer any specific questions in the coming week as I get better aquainted with the car.

Br
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 01:49 AM   #56
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update:
I have now almost completed the break in period and have been able to push it a bit on twisty back roads and I must say the car is so much fun!

The turn in and front axle grips is amazing. Combined with a very quick steering ratio the car just turns in so eagerly.
The trick with this car is just to flick it in to the corners and wait for the suspension to settle and then be quite brutal on the throttle to get AWD system to help rotate the car in the corner.
The rear axle really is pushing the car in a way I´ve never experienced in Haldex based cars.
The car is also very communicative and confidence inspiring and it feels like you can really tell when and where you start to break traction, making you drive much faster than you would probably ever do in many other cars.

It is really quite mind bending the way this car can carry speed through corners.

Will go out for a drive in a couple of hours on a really fun stretch of roads to get some more experience with the car.

All in all, when it comes to pure driving fun, this car really delivers.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:29 AM   #57
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This video really shows just how much the rear axle actually is involved.

Also, the driver has huge balls.

[u2b]https://youtu.be/asUlGmiYxbM[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #58
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i black/black

I own a 2015 M235 8 spd and added a 2016 RS to the garage last week. I find the RS to be a more "hardcore" enthusiast car with tons of grip, great power delivery and a nice/adaquate interior. It certainly has a less supple ride and and lacks the luxury features...but for a weekend backroad and mountain car it is probably the best grin for the $ out there today. At $36k (base model) and the dealer throwing in "life time /unlimited miles" power train warranty it is likely to be a fairly modest operating costs (excluding tires and pads of course) which is always a niggling concern for the M235.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #59
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I had a focus rs next to my 1m coupe and m2.

I sold the rs.

To much electronic interference.

It brakes front wheels when going into a corner.
It brakes front wheels mid corner
It brakes front wheels accelerate out of corners

No mechanical lsd!

You can not left foot brake it disconnects the rear drive unit. You have fwd then.

This is no drivers car. Far to much electronics going on with it. I was fed up with this car after a few weeks!

Tried all modes with tc completely off.

I want to drive my car not some computer braking my car into corners.

It looked good on paper. But on track I got bored pretty fast!
Appreciate 4
      07-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #60
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

No matter how many people hate on the RS, it is a great car and people should give it the credit it deserves.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #61
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo
I had a focus rs next to my 1m coupe and m2.

I sold the rs.

To much electronic interference.

It brakes front wheels when going into a corner.
It brakes front wheels mid corner
It brakes front wheels accelerate out of corners

No mechanical lsd!

You can not left foot brake it disconnects the rear drive unit. You have fwd then.

This is no drivers car. Far to much electronics going on with it. I was fed up with this car after a few weeks!

Tried all modes with tc completely off.

I want to drive my car not some computer braking my car into corners.

It looked good on paper. But on track I got bored pretty fast!
Thanks for the insight.

How intrusive was the breaking? Could you feel it interfering?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 01:34 AM   #62
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

Well watch out if you bought an RS in Australia. The drift mode feature is being investigated further and may get disabled by Ford.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...f62585892ce769
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:01 AM   #63
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

On the latest Top Gear episode, the last of the new season, I was quite surprised how the RS started to "jump" constantly on the TG track. Chris Harris made a comment it was due to the computers trying to beat understeer and looking for traction, it was quite evident and not particularly gracious looking.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #64
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - LBB, DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitoda
On the latest Top Gear episode, the last of the new season, I was quite surprised how the RS started to "jump" constantly on the TG track. Chris Harris made a comment it was due to the computers trying to beat understeer and looking for traction, it was quite evident and not particularly gracious looking.
Was wondering if anyone would comment on this. Stig drove it on "Extra Gear" and popped in a 1:26.44 in "ideal" conditions. The M135i did a 1:25.1 previously. The 1M did a 1:25.0 in "moist" conditions. Wish they would've timed the M2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ower_Lap_Times
Appreciate 1
nd2002178.50
      07-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #65
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConR View Post
Well watch out if you bought an RS in Australia. The drift mode feature is being investigated further and may get disabled by Ford.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...f62585892ce769
"a car with a Fast and Furious style drift mode"

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #66
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

Oh, by the way, Matt Le Blanc just got an RS apparently.

Makes me wonder if this is the car to get, review after review, RS wins... I get reminded the RS is still a Ford and then I feel better on getting the M2 (1k deposit, no mark up, production for September, fingers crossed. BMW St Louis)

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/7/1...us-RS-7734554/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0