Appreciate it, enjoy your M2
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:39 AM   #26
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Drive it - when you are in the business for an M2 because of driving dynamics, I promise you will be disappointed by every RS car. I had a long and extensive talk about the RS3 last year in Geneva and a long talk aobut the TTRS this year in Geneva as well. The chief-engineers always promise that the cars will not understeer like their predecessors and so on. But when you get in it and give it the full bananas, you will see that the car is still horrible on cornering and exit. There is no feeling in braking and steering at all. So, I don't really consider an Audi RS at all. I have given them numerous chances and they always tended to disappoint. Other than that, straight line performance is great. But I don't really care about winning Autobahn races or signal light starts in the city. So thanks, I will stick with RWD.
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #27
hsb
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 718 Spyder

In what situation do you give full bananas during cornering?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #28
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb View Post
In what situation do you give full bananas during cornering?
That "full bananas" term is more meant about the overall track/fast driving usage of the car. Not especially for that one situation of driving through a corner.
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #29
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
The chief-engineers always promise that the cars will not understeer like their predecessors and so on. But when you get in it and give it the full bananas, you will see that the car is still horrible on cornering and exit.
That's what I'm worried about as well...false promises.

Audi has kept saying that this particular TTRS will be more of a driver's car, but I still don't believe it and will have to wait for reviews.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 01:58 AM   #30
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

well, you should go drive it and see for yourself, rather than listening to reviews from others.
As an example, my former E92 M3 was understeering more than my RS5, and I really give it 'full bananas' especially on corners. The trick quattro system makes wonders in cancelling the understeeer, by shifting torque left/right and front/rear.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #31
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
well, you should go drive it and see for yourself, rather than listening to reviews from others.
As an example, my former E92 M3 was understeering more than my RS5, and I really give it 'full bananas' especially on corners. The trick quattro system makes wonders in cancelling the understeeer, by shifting torque left/right and front/rear.
I would definitely test drive the TTRS once it is out, but I'm not sure if dealers will allow it.

Since the TTRS will be mostly custom orders I assume, and not many at that, I am guessing dealers won't allow test drives. Correct me if I am wrong...

Anyway, I am very interested in the car for sure, so will cross my fingers for good early reviews.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #32
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
I would definitely test drive the TTRS once it is out, but I'm not sure if dealers will allow it.

Since the TTRS will be mostly custom orders I assume, and not many at that, I am guessing dealers won't allow test drives. Correct me if I am wrong...

Anyway, I am very interested in the car for sure, so will cross my fingers for good early reviews.
Best you can do in my estimation is drive an s3 then an rs3 which should be easier to accomplish than a TTRS given that it will be less money and more common. Then drive the TTS and try your best to gauge the delta based on the delta between the S3 and RS3.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #33
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooooook View Post
The new Audi TTRS looks like a direct rival for the M2.
Don't flatter m2 that much.

TT is engineered as a sports car from ground up and M2 is built from a 4 seater family coupe. Regardless of performance, that is whole world of difference. BTW, BMW is never confident making and selling sport cars.

TTRS definitely will destroy M2 in a straight line and most likely in a circuit. All things about TTRS is "lighting quick and incredibly agile". Many can ague that M2 is more fun to drive but that's about it, period.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 03:36 AM   #34
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

TT is engineered as a sports car from ground up and M2 is built from a 4 seater family coupe. Regardless of performance, that is whole world of difference. BTW, BMW is never confident making and selling sport cars.

TTRS definitely will destroy M2 in a straight line and most likely in a circuit. All things about TTRS is "lighting quick and incredibly agile". Many can ague that M2 is more fun to drive but that's about it, period.
The TT is a stylish coupe based around VW's MQB platform which is shared amongst other VAG cars notably the Golf and Leon,hardly a sports car built from the ground up.I think you may confusing it with the R8

To state that the RS will destroy the M2 when it hasn't even been launched yet is pure speculation and based on no fact.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #35
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
The TT is a stylish coupe based around VW's MQB platform which is shared amongst other VAG cars notably the Golf and Leon,hardly a sports car built from the ground up.I think you may confusing it with the R8

To state that the RS will destroy the M2 when it hasn't even been launched yet is pure speculation and based on no fact.
Agree.

Also, I have never gotten the aesthetic of the TT series. It's like Gumby decided to design a sports car! I find the S5 a better looking car than the TT - and assume the RS will be just more of the same.

I was thinking of the TTRS a while ago as a potential alternative if BMW dropped the ball on the M2 delivery... but I just can't see myself in one.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #36
alpho
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post

The writing is on the wall.

The previous gen TTRS was already fast.. It was faster than the 1M around the nurburgring and hockenheim..

From Audi, next gen TTRS is going to have +50 hp, +10 tq, -57 lbs..0-60 mph in 3.7 sec.

Would be surprised if the next gen TTRS is not faster than the M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 01:08 AM   #37
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Drive it - when you are in the business for an M2 because of driving dynamics, I promise you will be disappointed by every RS car. I had a long and extensive talk about the RS3 last year in Geneva and a long talk aobut the TTRS this year in Geneva as well. The chief-engineers always promise that the cars will not understeer like their predecessors and so on. But when you get in it and give it the full bananas, you will see that the car is still horrible on cornering and exit. There is no feeling in braking and steering at all. So, I don't really consider an Audi RS at all. I have given them numerous chances and they always tended to disappoint. Other than that, straight line performance is great. But I don't really care about winning Autobahn races or signal light starts in the city. So thanks, I will stick with RWD.
This is hilarious because the TT RS will be faster than any BMW....

0-62 has been done in 3.2

Point
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 01:12 AM   #38
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

The 2 series was never meant to be a family car.... the M2 is thoroughly a sports car, a very good one at that, except for bad interior (same as 2 series yet expensive and dated/no match for Audi), boring rear taillights, and costing $3,000 for the auto option.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 01:40 AM   #39
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
This is hilarious because the TT RS will be faster than any BMW....

0-62 has been done in 3.2

Point
There is nothing "hilarious" about what he said. He conceded that the Audi will be faster in a straight line, so you can say "3 Point 2" to your heart's content, and it won't amount to a hill of beans.

When it comes to tracking, that is, actual real driving, an M4 can get around certain kinds of tracks faster than an M2. Does that mean it's better to own one? Depends. Same for the Audi. Personally, I think one of the least interesting things you can do in a car is point it in a straight line, pin the throttle for 10 seconds, then lift and stop. Fun a few times, but after that, big whoop--there's no skill in it. Hammering a throttle for 10 seconds, then setting up for an off-camber, dipping corkscrew and getting through that unscathed...now that's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #40
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
There is nothing "hilarious" about what he said. He conceded that the Audi will be faster in a straight line, so you can say "3 Point 2" to your heart's content, and it won't amount to a hill of beans.

When it comes to tracking, that is, actual real driving, an M4 can get around certain kinds of tracks faster than an M2. Does that mean it's better to own one? Depends. Same for the Audi. Personally, I think one of the least interesting things you can do in a car is point it in a straight line, pin the throttle for 10 seconds, then lift and stop. Fun a few times, but after that, big whoop--there's no skill in it. Hammering a throttle for 10 seconds, then setting up for an off-camber, dipping corkscrew and getting through that unscathed...now that's a different story.
Actual "real" driving? You mean that 1%? LOL, I would vote for the audi because id share it with the wife...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #41
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:

I have 2 RWD race cars, and have had 4 Audis. I'd say "tracking" a car is like Jerking off. Its better than nothing, but no where near the experience of actual racing, so hardly "real" driving. I never understood the fuss about hating on Audi handling. They are simple and cheap to modify, and doing tail sliding 4WD burnouts in a properly set up Audi is pretty dang cool. Is it about saying you have the "best" (not that "Best" exists for all conditions) car to satisfy ego? Do you live on the track? I live in the real world where stoplight drags are a lot of fun, and there are corners too. This is just a street car, and a dedicated race car in real competition is way more fun than any street car on track. All that said, I'm still hoping to get an M2 this year if I can! Manual trans is the big draw for me...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #42
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

We live in different real worlds. Stoplight drags, however tempting at times, are not my thing, and certainly not why I would buy a car. Tracking takes a lot more skill than cowboy-ing on the street anyway. The fact that wheel-to-wheel takes even more skill does not diminish the point I was making at all. When I'm considering buying a sports car, my analysis neither begins nor ends with 0-60 times. So statements like "Three Point Two" aren't at all compelling to me. They are a positive, of course, but there is a lot more to a car than that.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      01-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #43
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I personally like the TTrs, performance is there, interior is there, looks are there etc. But in Canada it will be starting at 10k + more then an M2, that and just can't get off my mind that it's the urban dictionary's defintition of a hair dressers car
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #44
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We live in different real worlds. Stoplight drags, however tempting at times, are not my thing, and certainly not why I would buy a car. Tracking takes a lot more skill than cowboy-ing on the street anyway. The fact that wheel-to-wheel takes even more skill does not diminish the point I was making at all. When I'm considering buying a sports car, my analysis neither begins nor ends with 0-60 times. So statements like "Three Point Two" aren't at all compelling to me. They are a positive, of course, but there is a lot more to a car than that.

"Statements like 3.2 mean nothing to me."

Case in point.

You are very different from most enthusiasts.

I agree with the poster above. If you are in a real road 97% of the time, and when you are indeed at a stop light and can't catch up, or highway etc, well, most people don't like losing on these scenarios..most*.
Appreciate 0