BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Mercedes-Benz X-Class Pickup

View Poll Results: Should Mercedes bring the X Class to the US?
Yes 12 54.55%
No 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

02-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Mercedes-Benz X-Class Pickup

Quote:
Back in November last year, Mercedes-Benz USA CEO, Dietmar Exler, said the company had no plans to offer the upcoming X-Class pickup truck in the US, but a new report says otherwise.

Citing Volker Mornhinweg, the head of the Mercedes-Benz Vans division, Reuters writes that Mercedes is now having second thoughts, and is studying the North American market to make a case for bringing the X-Class.

"In the past year, the midsized truck market has come back a bit. General Motors is launching a midsized truck, we are watching developments very closely, and we will take a decision at the appropriate time", explained Mornhinweg, while speaking at a press conference in Stuttgart.

When asked where Mercedes could produce the X-Class in the US, Mornhinweg said the current facility in Argentina doesn’t have what it needs in order to satisfy demand, so a new assembly site in the United States could be considered.

Building upon the latest Nissan Navara, which also forms the base for the Renault Alaskan, the Mercedes-Benz X-Class was presented in concept form last year. In the meantime, the Germans have started testing prototypes out in the open, which are believed to use some of Daimler's engines, and the 4Matic all-wheel drive.

An exact reveal date is unknown at this time, but the pickup truck that will compete against the Volkswagen Amarok, among other trucks, should debut later in 2017.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/mer...s-x-class.html
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

That's disgusting.
      02-25-2017, 01:16 AM   #3
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Really I think it looks great!

If I can hold a ton pallet in the back its classed as a commercial vehicle over here so can claim 100% vat back
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Mercedes-Benz has been producing vehicles for commercial use in this sense I don't think that's a bad step but design wise I didn't like it at all
      03-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Mercedes pickup truck?

No thanks. I'll keep my Tundra.
Appreciate 1
CeeTH10.00
      03-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think it will sell well in the states.
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #7
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Mercedes pickup truck?

No thanks. I'll keep my Tundra.
And for that, we thank you I think it looks pretty good, but other than a real work truck I'd rather walk than drive a pickup, especially an expensive one.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapacer View Post
Would it be a luxury pickup truck? Lol. I still prefer good, old american pickup trucks.
70K Ford F150s ARE luxury pickups. Americans have hard-ons for luxury pickups, although it remains to be seen if they'll extend that love to imports of the same nature.
      03-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Mercedes-Benz X-Class Concepts Stopping By Geneva En Route To Production

Quote:
Visitors at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show will catch a glimpse of the upcoming Mercedes-Benz X-Class, as the company will bring the two concepts at the event.

Marking the truck's first public outing since it was shown to journalists last October, the two studies are known as Stylish Explorer and Powerful Adventurer.

Finished in white, the former offers a more premium experience, with a plush interior, sporty-looking exterior and 22-inch alloy wheels, while the latter is accentuated by the extra body cladding, increased ground clearance, and off-road tires.

Based on the same underpinnings as the Nissan Navara, which are also shared with the new Renault Alaskan, the new Mercedes-Benz X-Class will go on sale in Europe close to the end of the year.

It will be produced at the same plant as its Renault cousin, in Barcelona, Spain, for the European, Australian and South African markets, while the version aimed at Latin America will be put together in Cordoba, Argentina, starting with 2018.

A possible US launch is currently being evaluated, and if approved, then the Mercedes pickup could be produced in a local facility, as the one in Argentina cannot satisfy demand, according to Daimler officials.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/mer...-stopping.html

The Mercedes X-Class Looks Almost Ready To Take On The VW Amarok

Quote:
We've seen the concepts. We know what it will be based on. All that's left now is for Mercedes to actually reveal the production version. And that will likely happen sometime before the year is out. But in the meantime, we have the next best thing.

The latest vehicle spotted by our automotive paparazzi on the ground in Northern Sweden is a pre-production prototype for the forthcoming X-Class – the first conventional pickup truck to come from Mercedes-Benz.

Stemming from its partnership with the Renault Nissan Alliance, the X-Class will share its underpinnings with the latest Nissan Navara – which also forms the base for the new Renault Alaskan. So the building blocks are all there, but adamant as it's been that the X-Class will be more than a rebadged Nissan truck, Mercedes still has its work cut out for it to make the pickup look and feel like a Mercedes should.

Expect Daimler's own engines and 4Matic all-wheel drive system to feature underneath its own unique sheetmetal when the X-Class debuts later this year to give the Volkswagen Amarok a run for its money.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/the...ost-ready.html
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'd never consider an American pickup cause they aren't very luxurious even in higher trims. You have the same plastics and switchgear you would in a low-end model.

Now this is something I'd consider. It's very good looking too. Sophisticated, not brash and hillbilly-esque. I could see it doing well.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

I'd like to see one of the newer uni mogs in the US
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #12
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'd never consider an American pickup cause they aren't very luxurious even in higher trims.
Where have you been for the last 10 years?
      03-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Where have you been for the last 10 years?
I know what I'm talking about. Their interiors do not have the material and build quality of proper luxury vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I know what I'm talking about. Their interiors do not have the material and build quality of proper luxury vehicles.
Thats because their primary function is to be a "Truck"

That frequently involves inclement weather and <gasp> dirt and mud.

With that said RAM and others have done a very very nice job of maintaining function with an interior that will actually clean up/tolerate the element......hell....my 1 ton pickup has heated/cooled seats, a heated steering wheel and a better sound system than the H&K in the 2 series......but I guess you dont have to try THAT hard to beat that stereo

I do see your point about a "Luxury" niche but I think its a lot smaller than you might think
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #15
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Mercedes X-Class Teased, Debuts On July 18th

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #16
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Kind of looks like a Chevy Colorado with Mercedes grille.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16941.50
      07-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #17
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Have you seen a 2017 king ranch interior?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16941.50
      07-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #18
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

This vehicle has little chance of doing well in the U.S. unless:

- It can actually haul several tons of trailer cargo
- It can handle light-to-moderate off-road duty
- It can 'clean up' well (as previous posters have said ... and Germanauto ; a big reason those cheap-to-you plastics are shared is because of this. Ever try cleaning mud/coffee/salt water off of the dash of an Escalade? Or a Range Rover, for that matter? Yeah.)
- It can outperform competitors in metrics that matter to pickup owners.

This model already has two strikes against it:
- It's based on a Japanese platform
- It's got absolutely no established pedigree that potential U.S. consumers are aware of

Thing is, M-B could very easily develop and produce a decent luxury pickup because of its pedigree with commercial trucks and the vaunted Gelandewagen. But virtually no one in the U.S. knows about any of that, and it will take years to establish it here. M-B recently started selling its commerical vehicles in the U.S., so its plainly aware of the issue at hand. However, pickups sell by the hundreds of thousands here because of two things: brand loyalty and utility. This has neither.

Ain't gonna happen with this.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #19
supra93
Colonel
Rep

New Mercedes-Benz X-Class Wants A Piece Of The VW Amarok's Pie

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/05/new...nts-piece.html

2018 Mercedes-Benz X-Class Pickup Drops More Camo As Reveal Approaches

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/201...kup-truck.html

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #20
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Mercedes-Benz X-Class Teases Us One Last Time Before Today's Debut

Quote:
Mercedes-Benz have taken their partnership with the Renault-Nissan Alliance to new heights by developing the X-Class.

Based on the same underpinnings as the Navara and Alaskan, the pickup truck is coming to challenge the likes of the Volkswagen Amarok and lure some customers that are looking for a premium pickup truck.

Mercedes has previewed the final production model with a pair of concepts wearing the same name, but it's still unknown exactly which engines will power the new Mercedes-Benz X-Class. However it's safe to expect a range of diesel and gasoline units, with four and six cylinders, to find their way under its hood.

Despite using the same platform as the two aforementioned vehicles, the company's workhorse will get a different exterior design, as pointed out by the latest teasers, ahead of its official debut, which is scheduled for later today.

At this point, one the biggest questions that has yet to be answered is whether Mercedes will offer it in North America too, as the brand's officials have went back and forth several times already. Stay tuned for the reveal.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #21
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Mercedes X-Class Unveiled

Quote:
Mercedes has officially unveiled the new X-Class pickup truck.

Billed as the first pickup from a premium manufacturer, the X-Class features a prominent grille which is flanked by LED-infused headlights. The truck has also been equipped with plastic body cladding, muscular wheel arches, and vertical taillights.

Three different configurations will be offered including a work-focused X-Class Pure, a consumer-grade X-Class Progressive, and a lifestyle variant dubbed the X-Class Power.

Regardless of which model is selected, all will feature a practical bed that comes standard with cargo area lighting and a 12-volt socket which can be used to power equipment such as air compressors and saws. The truck also has a rear bumper with an integrated step but that can be removed to allow the tailgate to open a full 180 degrees.

The interior doesn't live up to the luxurious X-Class concepts but it comes equipped a three-spoke multifunction steering wheel and circular air vents. Entry-level models have black fabric seats but higher-end variants can be ordered with leather upholstery.

A variety of different options will be available including a leather-wrapped dashboard, woodgrain trim, and a freestanding infotainment system with an 8.4-inch display.

At launch, the X-Class will be offered with two different four-cylinder engines. The X 220 d will have a 2.3-liter turbo-diesel that produces 163 PS (120 kW), while the X 250 d will have a biturbo-diesel developing 190 PS (140 kW).

The company also has plans to offer an X 200 with 165 PS (122 kW) and an X 350 d with a V6 engine producing 258 PS (190 kW) and 550 Nm (405 lb-ft) of torque.

Depending on which engine is selected, it can be paired to either a six-speed manual or a seven-speed automatic transmission. Rear-wheel drive will come standard on most models but all-wheel drive will also be available.

Despite wearing a tri-star logo, Mercedes says the truck is fully-capable of handling work duty as it features a ladder-type frame and a solid rear axle. The company also notes the truck has a payload capacity of 1.1 tonnes (1.2 tons) which is enough to carry 17 barrels of beer. Customers will also be happy to know the model can tow up to 3.5 tonnes (3.8 tons) which is enough to haul a trailer carrying three horses.

Speaking of capability, the X-Class comes standard with 202mm (7.9 inches) of ground clearance but that can be increased to 222mm (8.7 inches) with an optional off-road suspension. The model also has a breakover angle of 20.4°, a fording depth of 600mm (23.6 inches), and approach/departure angles of up to 30.1° and 25.9°.

The X-Class will go on sale in Europe this November and German pricing starts at €37,294. It will eventually be offered in a number of other countries including Australia, Argentina, Brazil, and South Africa.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
So is it a more rugged less optioned interior? I can't really tell
Appreciate 0