BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan S1 F87 M2 -- Exhaust, Intake and Tune

12-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #287
imyourmaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Dinan M2 Big Turbo Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourmaster View Post
Spoke to a Dinan rep yesterday inquiring about the Stage 4 release... I was told probably early next year. It seems the waiting game continues.

Question for Dinan...will the Dinan warranty still hold on the Stage 4 if I use an intake from another manufacturer?

Thanks!
Warranty will still hold but you would introduce a gray area on warranty coverage as we will not warrant another brands goods. If you start having codes related to the MAF as an example it would not be supported under the Dinan warranty as that would be related to the intake install. Basically, if a problem can be traced back to a non-Dinan/Non-OE part the claim will be rejected and you would be on your own.
Could you please explain where the cores come from which will be shipped once the turbo upgrade is available for the M2? Are they brand new or used OEM? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #288
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Could you please explain where the cores come from which will be shipped once the turbo upgrade is available for the M2? Are they brand new or used OEM? Thanks
Used OEM. The turbo castings are re-used but the internals are all new.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #289
imyourmaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Used OEM. The turbo castings are re-used but the internals are all new.
Hmmmmm.... Maybe you guys an chime in but does anyone think using a new core is preferred over a used one? Would you rather know your casing has 2k miles on it vs 30k?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #290
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmmmm.... Maybe you guys an chime in but does anyone think using a new core is preferred over a used one? Would you rather know your casing has 2k miles on it vs 30k?
Could use your own if you liked or send us a new turbo (they run $2600 MSRP or $2100 through getbmwparts.com) and avoid the $1500 core we have in place.

Ultimately using new cores just means you have a supply problem as there are only so many out there at any given time and its more expensive to do so.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #291
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

You can use a core thats 20 years old and it will be fine.
      12-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #292
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Casings that are within spec are just fine, functionally speaking. And I'd bet the vast majority of them out here are within spec.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #293
imyourmaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
You can use a core thats 20 years old and it will be fine.
You are correct but I would much rather use my turbo with 400 miles use than one I have no history of. Peace of mind?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #294
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Warranty will still hold but you would introduce a gray area on warranty coverage as we will not warrant another brands goods. If you start having codes related to the MAF as an example it would not be supported under the Dinan warranty as that would be related to the intake install. Basically, if a problem can be traced back to a non-Dinan/Non-OE part the claim will be rejected and you would be on your own.
I see that the intake and exhaust are recommended but not required. If i were to keep the OEM intake/exhaust and only install the Dinan FMIC, Turbo, and stage 4 Tune, would i still be 100% covered under Dinan's warranty? I REALLY don't like the idea of having to trim a brace just to fit the dinan airbox in. Would much rather throw in a thinner filter in the stock box instead.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #295
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comacow02 View Post
I see that the intake and exhaust are recommended but not required. If i were to keep the OEM intake/exhaust and only install the Dinan FMIC, Turbo, and stage 4 Tune, would i still be 100% covered under Dinan's warranty? I REALLY don't like the idea of having to trim a brace just to fit the dinan airbox in. Would much rather throw in a thinner filter in the stock box instead.
Yes, you would be covered as you would have all the required pieces. Without the intake/exhaust you wouldn't be realizing the entirety of the gains but the difference is minimal.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #296
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Does anyone on here have the Dinan exhaust?

Looking to pick one up but wanted to hear some real life feedback with installation, whether or not you had your dealership install this, if so, how many labor hours they charged. If self installed, was fitment spot on?

Also, if anyone wants the CAI, I may end up picking up the P1 package and selling mine. PM for price.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #297
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post

Looking to pick one up but wanted to hear some real life feedback with installation, whether or not you had your dealership install this, if so, how many labor hours they charged. If self installed, was fitment spot on?

Also, if anyone wants the CAI, I may end up picking up the P1 package and selling mine. PM for price.
Why would you sell the intake?

I have the exhaust with resonator delete. I like everything about it, 10/10. Fitment is perfect. There's no wobble like the MPE on my F32. Sound is intense. Oversized matte black tips look great protruding from the diffuser.

My dealer installed but I can't tell you how long it took as I had other components installed as well. It probably takes a few hours because they had to cut and remove the stock resonator, then replace with the straight pipe. And of course, cut the stock exhaust and replace that.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #298
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post

Why would you sell the intake?

I have the exhaust with resonator delete. I like everything about it, 10/10. Fitment is perfect. There's no wobble like the MPE on my F32. Sound is intense. Oversized matte black tips look great protruding from the diffuser.

My dealer installed but I can't tell you how long it took as I had other components installed as well. It probably takes a few hours because they had to cut and remove the stock resonator, then replace with the straight pipe. And of course, cut the stock exhaust and replace that.
Not interested in cutting to make the intake fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #299
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
don't want to get off topic but will you explain the difference between the sport tuner and the stage 1 tune?

Do either of them have to be disconnected/removed for dealer visits? or can you just set it to stock ala JB4 map 0?

my concern is voiding warranty/interference with dealership diagnostic equipment

and lastly does the stock dme log data and see boost increases from piggy backs? i don't want something breaking and then having my warranty claim denied because these things are leaving shadow codes.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 01-16-2017 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #300
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
don't want to get off topic but will you explain the difference between the sport tuner and the stage 1 tune?

Do either of them have to be disconnected/removed for dealer visits? or can you just set it to stock ala JB4 map 0?

my concern is voiding warranty/interference with dealership diagnostic equipment

and lastly does the stock dme log data and see boost increases from piggy backs? i don't want something breaking and then having my warranty claim denied because these things are leaving shadow codes.
Most of your questions (specifically differences) can be answered at http://www.dinancars.com/the-evolution-of-power/.

Both can be set to stock (off) via their bluetooth apps if desired.

The DME logs everything, however at the dealership level they can only access so much. Your worry would come into play if there is a major catastrophic failure. If you are concerned about warranty you want to go with the full stage 1 as that carries the factory matching warranty. The SPORT does not.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #301
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I recently installed a Dinan resonator delete to go with my fabspeed sport cat and i love it. Was considering adding the Dinan axle back unit as well. I read the install instructions on your webite and see that it's pretty labor intensive. Do you know what the install time is? It wasn't written there. Also since i already have the res delete installed how much time would that shave off? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #302
eleniki
Alderran`s lost princess
Rep
Drives: A bit old BMW

it should not take more than 45 min for installation
      02-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #303
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I recently installed a Dinan resonator delete to go with my fabspeed sport cat and i love it. Was considering adding the Dinan axle back unit as well. I read the install instructions on your webite and see that it's pretty labor intensive. Do you know what the install time is? It wasn't written there. Also since i already have the res delete installed how much time would that shave off? Thanks!
Labor Hours/Installation Hours

listed in the "specs" tab, click on it
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      02-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #304
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With the resonator on you are saving yourself a cut on the install but thats about it.

Listed time is 1.2 hours as noted so if your dealer is feeling generous they may shave off 10-15 minutes... maybe. Labor is purely a function of the installing dealer though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #305
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Dinan intake picture sent to us by a customer

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #306
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for being truthful on the DME logging Dinan.

*Note*

Piggybacks will throw visual flags at dealer visits if they do anything more than an oil change. If they pull the plastic covers your flagged, or per BMW you should be. It is a risk.

If they scope your car and your flashed tuned I am told they will see it....not sure how true that is since i have only ran JB4's.

The DME logs everything and if you have a issue (failure or not) that they need to pull data and send in for review we are busted either way. They can see hi trims for us E85 users and hi boost for everybody.

And the only tuner that will pay for repairs if it can be proven it was their equipment is Dinan.

I don't use Dinan stuff but just listing the facts
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #307
cantcatchtomm
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:

Dinan F87 M2 Free Flow Exhaust

Part Number: D660-0056-BLK
Applications: 2016+ F87 M2 Coupe
  • Maximum gain of +6 HP and +5 ft-lb of torque
  • Sportier sound
  • 100% 304 Stainless Steel Construction
  • Quad 3.5" laser engraved black ceramic tips with Dinan logo
  • Computer controlled valve limits noise during low speed driving; valve opens fully during high-load conditions to allow free flow
  • Stock exhaust valve actuators are reused
  • When valve is open, exhaust flows straight through 3.25" tubing
  • Includes mounting hardware
Hey Dinan, I'm curious if you're willing to help us out in the SCCA B Street crowd where we can remove mufflers downstream of the final catalytic converter and reduce multiple-exits to a single exit location. I love the sound/quality of the system, but I'm looking for any weight savings I can get. Would you be willing to sell just the straight flow through 3.25" piping with a single 3.5" Black tip (no valve or muffler needed) and the hanger? Would rather not have a shop hack up a beautiful system if you already have one laying around somewhere in the assembly line.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #308
cantcatchtomm
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Already got a quick/friendly response from Dinan's customer service. Won't be feasible until they move the manufacturing in-house. Will be easy to have a shop fabricate something similar, just won't look as nice as this.
Appreciate 0