BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Okay all this tune talk best daily tune

02-22-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi, F87 M2 AW EXEC

Okay all this tune talk best daily tune

What is everyone's opinion on the best tune to eliminate the CEL for catless and I do a lot of spirited driving with friends could use more power
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:40 AM   #2
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
best tune is always the custom one for your unique build, available gas, altitude, etc.

you can also get generic OTS tunes that are good for about 90% of the custom tunes. you'll be able to get rid of CEL either way.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 12:43 AM   #3
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Just picked VF Engineering HEX Tuning for BMW F87 M2 Stg One and love it.

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #4
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange fever View Post
Just picked VF Engineering HEX Tuning for BMW F87 M2 Stg One and love it.
Ah snap was just reading about this tune a little it's great with simple bolt ons? I'm from Pittsburgh PA wish I had cool local tuners does it delete the CEL
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

I'd recommend bootmod3 no doubt
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      02-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
I'd recommend bootmod3 no doubt
+1

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      02-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep

Yes! No CEl here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlee23 View Post
Ah snap was just reading about this tune a little it's great with simple bolt ons? I'm from Pittsburgh PA wish I had cool local tuners does it delete the CEL

F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:45 PM   #8
wakeofdeath
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: X6M

Any Dyno on Hex M2 Orange fever

Considering BM3 first due their features; but curious to see what numbers/powercurve Hex is producing

Last edited by wakeofdeath; 02-26-2017 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1350684
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeofdeath View Post
Any Dyno on Hex M2 Orange fever
I will eventually go with either Bootmod3 or Hex in a month or 2 when i'm ready

Last edited by Orange fever; 02-26-2017 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:48 PM   #10
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Biggest difference between Bootmod3 and any other flash tune out there is superior logging capability, flashing with your phone/tablet, ability to customize your own tune by yourself or with the help of another tuner, option to go back to stock without going to the dealer to get the DME reset, NO DME TAMPERED CODE unlike other flash tunes.. oh and the biggest reason for those with leases..

RE$ALE VALUE. You can't recoup any money invested buying any other flash. That $1000-$2000 you spent on that X BS copy/pasted tune.. yeah you're not getting anything back.

Oh and you're getting one of the most talented tuners for the N54/N55/and now Fxx N55, S55, S63Tu, N63tu for support.

Dzenno & Halim FTW proTUNING Freaks

Quoted from PTF ->
Bootmod3 goal is to provide customers with a complete tuning platform. If they wanted to provide just canned tunes they would've released years ago. Ability for them or any tuner using bootmod3 to provide assistance to local and remote customers is critical and should be very important to every customer looking for such product. Cars can/have issues and when they do, bootmod3's there to provide immense insight and help in resolving them.

PS... I' ran jb4 for 7 months with more inconsistency than consistent days; spent plenty of dyno time & drag-strip testing; logs after logs after logs; went thru 4 different firmwares and still car was not happy. Long story short, running Bootmod3 OTS Beta since Black Friday and my current OTS revision since Christmas & 3500 miles later.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      02-28-2017, 01:44 AM   #11
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Biggest difference between Bootmod3 and any other flash tune out there is superior logging capability, flashing with your phone/tablet, ability to customize your own tune by yourself or with the help of another tuner, option to go back to stock without going to the dealer to get the DME reset, NO DME TAMPERED CODE unlike other flash tunes.. oh and the biggest reason for those with leases..

RE$ALE VALUE. You can't recoup any money invested buying any other flash. That $1000-$2000 you spent on that X BS copy/pasted tune.. yeah you're not getting anything back.

Oh and you're getting one of the most talented tuners for the N54/N55/and now Fxx N55, S55, S63Tu, N63tu for support.

Quoted from PTF ->
Bootmod3 goal is to provide customers with a complete tuning platform. If they wanted to provide just canned tunes they would've released years ago. Ability for them or any tuner using bootmod3 to provide assistance to local and remote customers is critical and should be very important to every customer looking for such product. Cars can/have issues and when they do, bootmod3's there to provide immense insight and help in resolving them.

PS... I' ran jb4 for 7 months with more inconsistency than consistent days; spent plenty of dyno time & drag-strip testing; logs after logs after logs; went thru 4 different firmwares and still car was not happy. Long story short, running Bootmod3 OTS Beta since Black Friday and my current OTS revision since Christmas & 3500 miles later.
Correct me if I am wrong but what I've been seeing is the stress of flash tune is pushing at the edge of high pressure fuel pump, so car misfires easily at higher rpm without assistance of port injection. Holding back a little bit in flash tune, you won't see meaningful power gains over piggyback solutions, though smoothness is still there.

In the meanwhile, the furthest a "daily tune" should go that I can think of, is a FBO on pump gas, no meth, no PI, no E blend.
      02-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #12
wakeofdeath
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but what I've been seeing is the stress of flash tune is pushing at the edge of high pressure fuel pump, so car misfires easily at higher rpm without assistance of port injection. Holding back a little bit in flash tune, you won't see meaningful power gains over piggyback solutions, though smoothness is still there.

In the meanwhile, the furthest a "daily tune" should go that I can think of, is a FBO on pump gas, no meth, no PI, no E blend.
I have yet to see any power gains on piggyback solutions on M2, their common misconception is "its maxed out from factory", "there are little to no gains to be had".

I can't speak for every tune, but only what I've seen from FSociety sharing info of Bootmod3 (logs). FBO M2 on PS2 no Meth no E running daily BM3 Flash. No meaningful power? He did 436whp 565wtq on a mild map.
Another car is 420whp/460wtq with stock turbos & E50 blend via Custom AIC Map Port Injection on Bootmod3 only to handle the extra E85. I'm pretty sure SSR Performance proTUNING Freaks will share some info on that.

I am waiting for some results baseline + post BM3 on FBO - daily tune cars from Fsociety local friends before I jump on board since my M2 only had 400 miles, already have my intercooler & intake that i will be installing step by step on dyno to see if there are any gains.

Last edited by wakeofdeath; 02-28-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I am waiting for some results baseline + post BM3 on FBO - daily tune cars from Fsociety local friends before I jump on board since my M2 only had 400 miles, already have my intercooler & intake that i will be installing step by step on dyno to see if there are any gains.
i'm working on that right now. i should be FBO by end of spring, and getting dyno baselines for each group of mods that i do. so far, my akra exhaust alone makes 357whp without tune on crappy CA 91 octane. i have an intake now, just waiting for some aero stuff to come in so i can have eas dyno it w/ new intake when they install the rest of the aero parts. next up for me will be fmic and charge pipes, then dp and bm3.

i'd like to see your baselines w/ just the fmic and intake too. i think having all these different numbers would be interesting for people planning their builds in the future.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #14
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:

Quoted from PTF ->

Can't wait to hop on the BM3 wagon as a base back end flash. I'll keep my JB4 for on the fly boost map options and meth/Pi integration.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #15
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
I have yet to see any power gains on piggyback solutions on M2, their common misconception is "its maxed out from factory", "there are little to no gains to be had".

I can't speak for every tune, but only what I've seen from FSociety sharing info of Bootmod3 (logs). FBO M2 on PS2 no Meth no E running daily BM3 Flash. No meaningful power? He did 436whp 565wtq on a mild map.
Another car is 420whp/460wtq with stock turbos & E50 blend via Custom AIC Map Port Injection on Bootmod3 only to handle the extra E85. I'm pretty sure SSR Performance proTUNING Freaks will share some info on that.

Easy man, I was not trying to say piggyback is a superior solution, but simply was concerned of HPFP failure under stress of flash tune. In the past few months, 3 of my m2 buddies (on downpipe only), using 2 different flashes, saw misfire at higher RPMs so they had to go back to piggyback. It appeared the tunes tricked less in boost but played too much with fuelling/timing.

I am sure there is a good balance to be found between boost/fuelling/timing with restriction from stock system, something only flash tunes can do best. But who am I kidding? They don't like restriction and instead will tell you go PI (fuelling), Meth (IAT) and bigger turbo (Boost), that not every daily car can swallow and I am sure not what OP see as a daily tune.
      03-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlee23 View Post
What is everyone's opinion on the best tune to eliminate the CEL for catless and I do a lot of spirited driving with friends could use more power
best 2 options are JB4 or Boot mod.

Bootmod will require removing the ECU for unlock which is why the JB4 is still the most popular tune

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      03-03-2017, 06:13 AM   #17
MTWO
Captain
Rep

Time to install the JB and remove the DME are maybe 10mins apart on these cars. If you ship it to them or a dealer they do it next day. Can't compare apples and oranges really. One is a flash, a true tune that controls everything while the other is a piggyback and sits extrrnally and tries its best to get the show going. My friends have all sorts of sporadic issues on the JB drivertrain malfunctions, boost always up or down and wavy and we just noticed comparing to bm3 logs its so slow to log in comparison to bm3 to the point its just lacking so much data. Car just drives so much better with a flash and makes more power everywhere especially on pump gas.
Appreciate 4
      03-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:

Just for clarification, you can't group "all other flash tunes out there" in the same
category when comparing them to BM3.

(we've had mutiple PM's now from customers who have had questions about
our software based on this specific posting
)

Yes, BM3 is currently the only flash tune option that incorporates data-logging and
customization into the same delivery system. BUT they are not the only flash tune
option that offers MAP switching via OBDII, with the ability to freely switch between
stock and tuned MAPS, and who also addresses the DME Tamper Code in their
"performance tuned" and "stock" software files.

We've been offering these features for F-Series cars for well over a year, and to the
best of my knowledge were the first to do so. MAP switching takes (literally) less
than 2-minutes, and we offer multiple performance Stage Levels for nearly every
common hardware combination and various fuel qualities. (Sorry, no ethanol
specific files yet, but we are working on it
) ... And while our product may not offer
resale value when it's time to sell the car or return the car to stock, we do offer a
customer loyalty discount for repeat customers.

--------------------------------

There's definitely a discussion to be had about the benefits of "custom" tuning
versus pre-engineered and validated Stage Level MAPS, but this is more of a
differentiator based on the needs and wants of the consumer, than it is a true
"advantage" over other options. Not everyone (and I would argue that it's less
rather than more
) will want to do trial and error tuning by data-logging on the
street. We feel that most will want a turn key solution that has been thoroughly
tested and validated that allows them to just "flash it" and enjoy.

Here's a sneak peak at what we've been working on for the M2 which will be
officially released very soon:

Appreciate 2
      03-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #19
MTWO
Captain
Rep

Bootmod3 has turn key maps. They call them OTS. They have set records already with custom tuning too on N55s.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #20
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

I would have to Agree with VF on this one, Generalizing all other tunes to BM3 sounds a little biased without having experience with other tune's out there. Sure BM3's customizing and logging aspects are great, much along the lines of the old cobb acessport. The customers we have done BM3 to are very happy and i have no ill will about it.

BUT.... There are also people out there that have zero desire to log, switch maps, or incorporate their phone/handheld into their tune. Some people simply want a flash tune/jb4 etc, and turn their car on and go without worrying.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #21
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep

That's basically all I want haah I don't want to unlock dme right now while still under warranty I just want the cel gone and a decent horsepower jump to utilize my bolt ons
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #22
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Easy man, I was not trying to say piggyback is a superior solution, but simply was concerned of HPFP failure under stress of flash tune. In the past few months, 3 of my m2 buddies (on downpipe only), using 2 different flashes, saw misfire at higher RPMs so they had to go back to piggyback. It appeared the tunes tricked less in boost but played too much with fuelling/timing.

I am sure there is a good balance to be found between boost/fuelling/timing with restriction from stock system, something only flash tunes can do best. But who am I kidding? They don't like restriction and instead will tell you go PI (fuelling), Meth (IAT) and bigger turbo (Boost), that not every daily car can swallow and I am sure not what OP see as a daily tune.
Nothing wrong with utilizing a jb4 stack, and you are not speaking false, its very true and known that you will have miss fire and the HPFP will start to choke and drop off in pressure and the boost will drop drastically without PI or meth as well because fueling is being cut. I have seen it in 2 of my revisions and we had to scale the boost back and adjust the a/f. This is something that just needs to be monitored and custom set up with your tuner if you just desire to run 93 or E30 blend. There is a very thin line there, I have met it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
I would have to Agree with VF on this one, Generalizing all other tunes to BM3 sounds a little biased without having experience with other tune's out there. Sure BM3's customizing and logging aspects are great, much along the lines of the old cobb acessport. The customers we have done BM3 to are very happy and i have no ill will about it.

BUT.... There are also people out there that have zero desire to log, switch maps, or incorporate their phone/handheld into their tune. Some people simply want a flash tune/jb4 etc, and turn their car on and go without worrying.
I will chime in on this without bias I think I am qualified.
Money spent aside, I have a JB4, 1st flash in late 2015 with enzo, spent all last year on a custom ACF bench flash/jb4 stack, then unlocked dme for bm3 and future tuning, used a bm3 map (still in development-I have boost leak issues) and I am still juggling a new ACF flash only for a ps1 map.

I can say that bm3 has a serious product. The level of customer service and outright speed of revisions and custom map development. PTF/bm3 supersede anything I have tried listed above at the moment. I cannot say My car is faster or slower then tuner x I.E. that I have not tried its all really a talk game and show me time slips at that point.
I really believe that most of the ECU flashed cars no matter what tuner you use they have all gotten very very close and understand how to manipulate tables. I just think the difference is in the attention to all the little details, custom user end, logging, resale, customer support. Whatever one chooses and thinks its best for them there are some good products out now with some valid data backing claims, rather be it a vF turn key and forget it n go or something like BM3, choose wisely and do your research and on what you want.

I choose BM3 and Dzenan every time with what he is capable of, because that is what I want and I know what I get.

Happy flashing... whoever you guys choose.