BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Does ED negatively affect dealer allocations

02-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Does ED negatively affect dealer allocations

Someone mentioned to me during the week that they thought that when a dealer does ED on an M car, that it has a negative affect on future M allocations.
Does anyone know if that is true, and/or have any more details?
      02-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Someone mentioned to me during the week that they thought that when a dealer does ED on an M car, that it has a negative affect on future M allocations.
Does anyone know if that is true, and/or have any more details?
It negatively affects their profit!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

It only negatively affects their review that customers fill out at the end. I believe I read that since you take delivery at the Welt the dealer does not get additional bonus money from BMW NA for an excellent costumer review which in the end affects their profile a bit.
Appreciate 1
jofus1.50
      02-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
It does affect their allocations that's why they don't like it.

Last edited by P4rD0nM3; 02-19-2017 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Added more info.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Model 3 Performance

ED sales come out of their regular allocations.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3 View Post
In what way?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3 View Post
No, it does not. An allocation is an allocation, the dealer can choose to allow the customer to do ED with it or not. It will in no way affect their allocation or their quota. Heck, my dealer even encourages it, because they have a wall of happy travelers with shit eating grins on their faces that definitely helps sell cars.

It does however affect their bottom line. They do lose out on that sweet dealership mark up and other BS.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
Hold on, isn't that what I said? You also said it yourself it affects their bottom line. I may have worded mine differently.
      02-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Everyone slow down The OP's title does not match his question

ED comes out of the dealers allocation

ED does NOT affect the dealer's future allocation

When I first asked my dealer, I also shortened the question to "does ED affect your allocation?" he said "all cars, US or ED come out of our allocation". When I clarified the question to "does it affect your FUTURE allocations" he said
"Unless BMW secretly created a formula and has not told dealers, he is misinformed. If it was true, there would be no Euro Delivery program in the U.S."

edit: as noted, it does affect their bottom line and they receive no holdback from BMW. So on a hot car, they are less prone to offer it.

Last edited by doug_999; 02-20-2017 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

@Paddy

the moral of the story is... the answer to your question doesn't really matter.

A dealer will either allow you to purchase via ED or not.

When they don't want you to use the ED program... then they will make up mumbo jumbo about allocations ..

Excuse A- we can't get an allocation (at all)
Excuse B- we can't get an ED allocation ..but we can get a US allocation.
Excuse C - we can get an allocation.. but we can't get an ED allocation because of allocations coming out of dealer inventory.. or... whatever statement sounds good that we think you will believe..
Excuse D- the general manager won't let us sell it at ED price.. but we can do US MSRP for ED Delivery..

Excuse E- changing from one Excuse to another Excuse on the list of of A -D above

Good luck trying to FORCE such a dealer to actually order a car for you.... All you will do is waste your time chasing your tail. you don't know how many allocations they get and it doesn't matter.. even if you prove how many allocations they get and how the ED delivery doesn't affect things.. they will just come up with another of the Excuses above..

The simple fact is a dealer that makes ANY excuse not to sell a vehicle via ED doesn't have the BALLS to come out and tell you.. WE REFUSE TO SELL THE VEHICLE TO YOU AT THAT PRICE BECAUSE WE WANT TO MAKE MORE MONEY. WE HATE THE FACT THAT BMW OFFERS THIS PROGRAM. WE HATE THAT YOU FOUND OUT ABOUT IT. WE WISH YOU WOULDN'T ASK ABOUT IT. PLEASE JUST PAY US FULL MSRP (OR OVER) LIKE SO MANY OTHER DUMB BUYERS.

Understand that the local Stealer that doesn't want to do ED for you will still be happy to perform service work under warranty ...

so... Take the hint and just go and find a dealer that WILL sell you a vehicle via ED.

https://www.bmwusa.com/european-delivery.html

Q: ARE THERE ANY VEHICLES EXCLUDED FROM THE EUROPEAN DELIVERY PROGRAM?

A: Yes, the following vehicles are not available: i3, i8, X3, X4, X5 and X6.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-20-2017 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
@Paddy

the moral of the story is... the answer to your question doesn't really matter.

A dealer will either allow you to purchase via ED or not.

When they don't want you to use the ED program... then they will make up mumbo jumbo about allocations ..

Excuse A- we can't get an allocation (at all)
Excuse B- we can't get an ED allocation ..but we can get a US allocation.
Excuse C - we can get an allocation.. but we can't get an ED allocation because of allocations coming out of dealer inventory.. or... whatever statement sounds good that we think you will believe..
Excuse D- the general manager won't let us sell it at ED price.. but we can do US MSRP for ED Delivery..

Excuse E- changing from one Excuse to another Excuse on the list of of A -D above

Good luck trying to FORCE such a dealer to actually order a car for you.... All you will do is waste your time chasing your tail. you don't know how many allocations they get and it doesn't matter.. even if you prove how many allocations they get and how the ED delivery doesn't affect things.. they will just come up with another of the Excuses above..

The simple fact is a dealer that makes ANY excuse not to sell a vehicle via ED doesn't have the BALLS to come out and tell you.. WE REFUSE TO SELL THE VEHICLE TO YOU AT THAT PRICE BECAUSE WE WANT TO MAKE MORE MONEY. WE HATE THE FACT THAT BMW OFFERS THIS PROGRAM. WE HATE THAT YOU FOUND OUT ABOUT IT. WE WISH YOU WOULDN'T ASK ABOUT IT. PLEASE JUST PAY US FULL MSRP (OR OVER) LIKE SO MANY OTHER DUMB BUYERS.

Understand that the local Stealer that doesn't want to do ED for you will still be happy to perform service work under warranty ...

so... Take the hint and just go and find a dealer that WILL sell you a vehicle via ED.

https://www.bmwusa.com/european-delivery.html

Q: ARE THERE ANY VEHICLES EXCLUDED FROM THE EUROPEAN DELIVERY PROGRAM?

A: Yes, the following vehicles are not available: i3, i8, X3, X4, X5 and X6.
That's exactly what I thought. My "source" knows the BMW sales guy that told him that really well, so I thought for a minute there "might" be something in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #12
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

When I first looked at buying my M235i it was under strict allocation which meant a much slimmer chance of ED...why should they? However, by the spring of 2015 I was able to order one of the first 2016 models off the assembly line with ED and a great price because the strict allocation was dropped and there were plenty of slots.
I thought that the M2 would eventually go off of strict allocation, now I'm not so sure. Maybe at the end of it's production cycle...who knows.
Appreciate 0