BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dinan Stage 1, Fabspeed 200 cel, Eventuri Dyno Results

02-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Dinan Stage 1, Fabspeed 200 cel, Eventuri Dyno Results

Dropped my lil' Beast off for DINAN Stage 4 upgrade and asked them to perform a pre-installation dyno run for comparison purposes. EDIT: Dinan dealer suspects the Stage 1 doesn't produce as much power as the Sport tune because of the additional parameters the advanced Dinantronics module adjusts for safety. You get Dinantronics for the ability to properly manage Stage 4. Apparently you can switch between Stage 1 and 4 easily with the app for a "valet" mode? What say you Dinan?!
Attached Images

Last edited by DrKevM5; 02-08-2017 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Dropped my lil' Beast off for DINAN Stage 4 upgrade and asked them to perform a pre-installation dyno run for comparison purposes. EDIT: Dinan dealer suspects the Stage 1 doesn't produce as much power as the Sport tune because of the additional parameters the advanced Dinantronics module adjusts for safety. You get Dinantronics for the ability to properly manage Stage 4. Apparently you can switch between Stage 1 and 4 easily with the app for a "valet" mode? What say you Dinan?!
With factory CAT's at least the SPORT and the Stage 1 DPT should produce nearly identical numbers. The Stage 1 is adjusting more parameters so the curve and drivability may be a bit more refined but given the limited gains its questionable if that would be noticable or not. With a DP on the car it is entirely possible that the SPORT unit may make a bit more power then the Stage 1 as the SPORT gives you the option to change boost whereas the Stage 1 is "set in its ways" so to speak and optimized for a stock catalytic convertor and what that really allows. With stock CATs the car is really peaking at ~2.5 #'s of boost over stock regardless. When set to race (+4 PSI) the lower end and mid range may get a bit more power but the peak is not gaining anything but some heat as the turbo itself is already capped out. With the CAT's removed/altered it may open up a bit more power that otherwise would not have been possible with the stock turbo. Given we don't do any modified CAT testing so this is just speculation on my part.

Stage 4 allows for power potential beyond what SPORT is capable of though.

Regardless OP looks like you are well on your way to some enjoyable driving ahead of you.

Almost forgot--- Once Stage 4 is installed you can switch back and forth between stage 4, stage 1, and bypass via a BT smartphone app if you like.
Appreciate 3
DrKevM52269.00
SeanWRT3179.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      02-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

93 octane?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Awesome feedback Dinan_Engineering
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Thank you OP. Been waiting to see this for long time. Your number looks super legit, or even a little bit lower if 400lb*ft in torque is any indication, which is pretty much stock number on a dynojet we've been seeing. If there is a benchmark number to compare yours to, probably you will do it justice better.

From earlier conversation, I know you have a bigger IC installed as well. Please confirm.

My setup would be close to yours. Differences are my cat is a slightly more restrictive 300 cell but I have a new turbo inlet pipe which corrects BMW's mistake mating PWG inlet pipe to the EWG turbo compressor wheel inlet which is 20% larger in dia or 44% in cross area (see below pics borrowed). This is not going to make higher boost but more flow at any rpm instead, in other words, turbo will rev less hard at any given boost target and thus pick up a few efficiency it is lacking. Whatever difference that'll make to the peak power though.

My build would be much more powerful with a custom Jb4 setting, but I have no interest in maxing out anything. I want power as much out of efficiency as possible, hence all the supporting FBO stuff on the mild Dinan Stage One.

I will do a comparison dyno on dynojet involving:
1) Stock m2, though not my car unfortunately
2) FBO m2 on stock tune (Dinantronics bypass)
3) FBO m2 on Dinantronics Stage One
4) Stock m4
No PI, No meth, No E blend, 93AKI(98RON) only.

I'll see how I like my car with those stuff and decide when/if to jump into bigger turbo.
Attached Images

Last edited by SeanWRT; 02-09-2017 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I do have a larger IC. However, stock torque numbers are not even close to 400.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #8
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Dinan, thanks for the info and insight. Can you comment:
1) There is no dip at peak from OP's graph like other m2 piggyback dynos. Reason?
2) By peak at 2.5 psi of boost, is it at 5500rpm? I thought it won't make that much boost at the real top end (6000-7000). Correct?
3) By peak at 2.5 psi of boost, are you referring to sport tuner or Dinantronics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
With factory CAT's at least the SPORT and the Stage 1 DPT should produce nearly identical numbers. The Stage 1 is adjusting more parameters so the curve and drivability may be a bit more refined but given the limited gains its questionable if that would be noticable or not. With a DP on the car it is entirely possible that the SPORT unit may make a bit more power then the Stage 1 as the SPORT gives you the option to change boost whereas the Stage 1 is "set in its ways" so to speak and optimized for a stock catalytic convertor and what that really allows. With stock CATs the car is really peaking at ~2.5 #'s of boost over stock regardless. When set to race (+4 PSI) the lower end and mid range may get a bit more power but the peak is not gaining anything but some heat as the turbo itself is already capped out. With the CAT's removed/altered it may open up a bit more power that otherwise would not have been possible with the stock turbo. Given we don't do any modified CAT testing so this is just speculation on my part.

Stage 4 allows for power potential beyond what SPORT is capable of though.

Regardless OP looks like you are well on your way to some enjoyable driving ahead of you.

Almost forgot--- Once Stage 4 is installed you can switch back and forth between stage 4, stage 1, and bypass via a BT smartphone app if you like.
      02-09-2017, 03:03 AM   #9
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
DrKevM5 have dyno shop email you the DRF Files, i can load it up nicely and graphed for forum viewing pleasure.

SeanWRT so BMW put a more restrictive Inlet in the M2? will you be able to dyno before / after to see if this is true ? if it allows more flow then there should be a few more ponies or better curve?

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00
      02-09-2017, 04:41 AM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
SeanWRT so BMW put a more restrictive Inlet in the M2? will you be able to dyno before / after to see if this is true ? if it allows more flow then there should be a few more ponies or better curve?
It seems BMW didn't want to invest new plastic injection molds to make bigger and diameter matching inlet pipe for EWG turbo compressor end.

The way I look at it - as long as EWG cars are making correct amount of power with smaller PWG pipe, why bother?

Obviously, the further you go into mods, more EWG cars will benefit from this correct part, as seen with STG one and two turbo cars. It helps in a similar way as a DP. Do it right away, you're welcome.
      02-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Thank you OP. Been waiting to see this for long time. Your number looks super legit, or even a little bit lower if 400lb*ft in torque is any indication, which is pretty much stock number on a dynojet we've been seeing. If there is a benchmark number to compare yours to, probably you will do it justice better.

From earlier conversation, I know you have a bigger IC installed as well. Please confirm.

My setup would be close to yours. Differences are my cat is a slightly more restrictive 300 cell but I have a new turbo inlet pipe which corrects BMW's mistake mating PWG inlet pipe to the EWG turbo compressor wheel inlet which is 20% larger in dia or 44% in cross area (see below pics borrowed). This is not going to make higher boost but more flow at any rpm instead, in other words, turbo will rev less hard at any given boost target and thus pick up a few efficiency it is lacking. Whatever difference that'll make to the peak power though.

My build would be much more powerful with a custom Jb4 setting, but I have no interest in maxing out anything. I want power as much out of efficiency as possible, hence all the supporting FBO stuff on the mild Dinan Stage One.

4) Stock m4

I'll see how I like my car with those stuff and decide when/if to jump into bigger turbo.
Where did you get that inlet pipe??
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #12
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Where did you get that inlet pipe??
It's a Pure N55 turbo inlet pipe. Most dont do it because of the questionable gain in power until when installing bigger turbo and of course the labor cost. Though I am the kind of person wanting to spend more to have reliable and consistent and even NOT more power.

Quote:
I do have a larger IC. However, stock torque numbers are not even close to 400.
You're right. Your number is legit. Considering a M2 MT puts down normally 330WHP on dynojet, seeing a close to 30WHP gain is actually not bad. Looking forward to you sharing the experience comparison between stg 1 and 4.

Last edited by SeanWRT; 02-11-2017 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
BruceM
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=SeanWRT;21258000]It's a Pure N55 turbo inlet pipe. Most dont do it because of the questionable gain in power until when installing bigger turbo and of course the labor cost. Though I am the kind of person wanting to spend more to have reliable and consistent and even NOT more power.

Have you seen this thread? Looks like that inlet pipe could make a power difference, along with less stress on the turbo, with a Dinan Stage 4 on an N55 engine.... which makes me wonder why it is not part of Dinan's kit....

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42512
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

[QUOTE=BruceM;21258833]
Quote:
It's a Pure N55 turbo inlet pipe. Most dont do it because of the questionable gain in power until when installing bigger turbo and of course the labor cost. Though I am the kind of person wanting to spend more to have reliable and consistent and even NOT more power.

Have you seen this thread? Looks like that inlet pipe could make a power difference, along with less stress on the turbo, with a Dinan Stage 4 on an N55 engine.... which makes me wonder why it is not part of Dinan's kit....

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42512
Il tell you in around 3 weeks time as I have mine coming in form the US,providing Trump doesn't ban exports!, so will get the logs on stock setup before / after
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      02-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #15
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
It seems BMW didn't want to invest new plastic injection molds to make bigger and diameter matching inlet pipe for EWG turbo compressor end.

The way I look at it - as long as EWG cars are making correct amount of power with smaller PWG pipe, why bother?

Obviously, the further you go into mods, more EWG cars will benefit from this correct part, as seen with STG one and two turbo cars. It helps in a similar way as a DP. Do it right away, you're welcome.
You make a good point
Bee Pee did show some gains under the curve on his M135

[QUOTE=kiysersosae;21260402]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post

Il tell you in around 3 weeks time as I have mine coming in form the US,providing Trump doesn't ban exports!, so will get the logs on stock setup before / after
Looking forward to your results!

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #16
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=FSociety;21261118]You make a good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
Looking forward to your results!
Unfortunately, after a long 2 week wait I went to DHL to collect my parcel and after paying the import tax I opened the box up to find a replacement turbine wheel.... I mean I ish it was a full turbo upgrade - I had received someone else's parcel and they obviously must have mine... I've contacted pure to sort it out. Gutted though!
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      02-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #17
BruceM
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=kiysersosae;21274139]
Quote:
You make a good point

Unfortunately, after a long 2 week wait I went to DHL to collect my parcel and after paying the import tax I opened the box up to find a replacement turbine wheel.... I mean I ish it was a full turbo upgrade - I had received someone else's parcel and they obviously must have mine... I've contacted pure to sort it out. Gutted though!
Bummer Hope that doesn't happen regularly to Pure shipments. I just ordered an inlet pipe myself. I will hold my breath when I open the box now....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #18
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

[QUOTE=kiysersosae;21274139]
Quote:
You make a good point

Mine took awhile to come thru to UK too. When it did finally arrive, the O ring gaskets were missing. Quick call to Pure and then DHL'd O-rings asap.

I'm happy with hi flo inlet even on stock EWG turbo. IAT's lower and throttle response is better.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      02-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #19
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=Bee Pee;21279900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post

Mine took awhile to come thru to UK too. When it did finally arrive, the O ring gaskets were missing. Quick call to Pure and then DHL'd O-rings asap.

I'm happy with hi flo inlet even on stock EWG turbo. IAT's lower and throttle response is better.
Glad for you mate.

Il just leave it for now, was going to do it sane time I had cat and intercooler out.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #20
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

[QUOTE=kiysersosae;21280006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post

Glad for you mate.

Il just leave it for now, was going to do it sane time I had cat and intercooler out.
Yes install at same time as FMIC makes it much easier. I upgraded FMIC and connector pipes on both sides of FMIC at the same time as installing hi flow inlet pipe.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #21
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:

4) Stock m4

Hi Sean,

It seems like your build is similar to what I am working towards. Have you dynoed your car with the bolt ons and the Dinan Stage 1 tuner? If you have a JB4 for data logging, has the tune adapted to your down pipe and inlet and changed the fueling to meet the demands of your increased boost/flow?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #22
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hey Doc--

For some reason I just flashed on the fact that you dropped off the car for a Stage 4 upgrade three weeks ago?

WELL? What do you think????? Is there a post somewhere that I missed???
Appreciate 0