BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Nitron elec-TRON

09-29-2023, 08:20 AM   #1
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Nitron elec-TRON

Been in development for a while now and getting close to being a reality! Once we have our test kits in hand we will dial them in to perfection just like we did with the R1 and R3 kits. So now all you who prefer to retain EDC will have an excellent option available!

Some other exciting options with their electronic kits are also in the works with more info to come soon! Will do a big reveal as the kits start to roll out but just wanted to throw this teaser out there.

Last edited by OG Shark; 11-13-2023 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
Aeko41.00
      09-29-2023, 09:30 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Been in development for a while now and getting close to being a reality! Once we have our test kits in hand we will dial them in to perfection just like we did with the R1 and R3 kits. So now all you who prefer to retain EDC will have an excellent option available!

Some other exciting options with their electronic kits are also in the works with more info to come soon! Will do a big reveal as the kits start to roll out but just wanted to throw this teaser out there.

*EDIT - crap trying to figure out how to post the link it's not playing nice - bear with me*

You know I want to be on a list for these . Add those sweet Nitron camber plates to them too.
      09-29-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
You know I want to be on a list for these . Add those sweet Nitron camber plates to them too.
Already had you down as No. 1 on the list

Will be turn key setups just like the R1 & R3!
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 01:02 PM   #4
OG Shark
Rep

F8x elec-TRON Road Kit is almost here!

Appreciate 3
gnx759.50
M3R12168.50
n8dgr84173.50
      11-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update. The more I think about the more I see why it can be better to do away with the EDC and just get a good matched spring and damper. As you mentioned they are using a non linear setup. As we discussed another time the non linear nature of the spring can add it's own problems on track. It will be interesting for sure to see if there is a non linear spring that's soft enough for a short duration to give the valve room to work, but then stiff enough in the main section to quickly catch transitions in suspension. I'm guessing all of that equates to a fixed amount of suspension travel and how each mm gets used.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      11-06-2023, 01:28 PM   #6
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

So goes the challenge of compromising wisely when building a dual purpose car. I think about this concept a lot with mine.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      11-06-2023, 02:17 PM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Funny. I thought I sent that post via private message. Yes, I've been giving lots of thought. Trying to wrap my head around exactly how you optimize an EDC to truly excel vs just be another mediocre jack of all. I think nonlinear and helper springs are the only way to take advantage but the non linear rates will be weird. Like soft for only a few mm and then firm up very quickly. Most DD on decent roads just needs to take the slide edge off small road imperfections (soft spring), while not allowing it to crash over larger imperfections (stiff spring with well controlled valve.

I wonder if you could have very little compression damping with a non linear spring that goes from soft to decently stiff rather quickly as long as the rebound is well controlled?

Unfortunately on track where transitions are much more rapid the softer portion of the non linear spring seems like it would be a problem. I'm guessing this is where the ratios of compression and rebound in the EDC would do their thing.

I find all of this shock tuning fascinating. I feel like I kinda understand, but know nothing at the same time.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      11-06-2023, 03:08 PM   #8
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
So goes the challenge of compromising wisely when building a dual purpose car. I think about this concept a lot with mine.
Exactly. A dual purpose car is full of compromises and how best you handle them is what makes the difference.

Quote:
Funny. I thought I sent that post via private message. Yes, I've been giving lots of thought. Trying to wrap my head around exactly how you optimize an EDC to truly excel vs just be another mediocre jack of all. I think nonlinear and helper springs are the only way to take advantage but the non linear rates will be weird. Like soft for only a few mm and then firm up very quickly. Most DD on decent roads just needs to take the slide edge off small road imperfections (soft spring), while not allowing it to crash over larger imperfections (stiff spring with well controlled valve.

I wonder if you could have very little compression damping with a non linear spring that goes from soft to decently stiff rather quickly as long as the rebound is well controlled?

Unfortunately on track where transitions are much more rapid the softer portion of the non linear spring seems like it would be a problem. I'm guessing this is where the ratios of compression and rebound in the EDC would do their thing.

I find all of this shock tuning fascinating. I feel like I kinda understand, but know nothing at the same time.
Ha thought that might have been the case thinking you had messaged that . Progressive rates definitely add some complexity to the equation. Keep in mind this is their road kit though - meant to provide noticeable improvement in ride over stock along with performance improvements. I do not anticipate them to provide the performance of the traditional R1 or R3 - but do expect them to be a big jump over oem and still be able to handle a track day admirably. Really looking forward to seeing how far we can push them in both directions though.

Now what they had their with their 991.x Porsche kit is going to be more like what our R1 & R3's can do. This is their elec-TRON R3 kit:

Again until I get my hands on the kit I will not know the range but I expect these to be the pretty spectacular. You have high and low speed adjustment knobs on the remote reservoirs and also connected to the (s)pasm (being Porsche in this case). We will be able to dial these in more closely to our traditional kits and expect to the perfomance to be at or approaching that level. The added cockpit control will be very nice to have too. These are coming down in the pipeline in Porsche first but BMW is closely following.

They also showed this at SEMA:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KnHsl...?feature=share

Their front axle lift system that works with the R1 & R3 kits and is also can be retrofit on existing kits!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 03:42 PM   #9
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I feel like there is going to be a feeling of significant lightness in my pocket at some point. Axle lift too (for BMW) or uses factory P car Axle lift? I feel like the Etron R3 is the type of overkill that speaks to me.

Watched the video. Stop it, let me know when I can buy.
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4692.50
M3R12168.50
      11-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #10
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
I feel like there is going to be a feeling of significant lightness in my pocket at some point. Axle lift too (for BMW) or uses factory P car Axle lift? I feel like the Etron R3 is the type of overkill that speaks to me.

No that is straight off the damper - independent of manufacturer or anything like that. Will absolutely work on the M2!

I'm not even going to get into when Nitron has their own controller available in place of the factory option...
Appreciate 2
thrilla123.50
      11-06-2023, 03:57 PM   #11
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This is truly the platform that speaks to me.
      11-07-2023, 08:54 AM   #12
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

Hmmm that lift kit… wonder if it will allow my safejacks to fit without first jacking onto some ramps for quick wheel swaps on track… I mean help my car clear my steep driveway.

Between their trick camber/caster plates… I don’t need my gt3/spyder anytime soon?
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      11-08-2023, 10:49 AM   #13
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbones View Post
Hmmm that lift kit… wonder if it will allow my safejacks to fit without first jacking onto some ramps for quick wheel swaps on track… I mean help my car clear my steep driveway.

Between their trick camber/caster plates… I don’t need my gt3/spyder anytime soon?
Yeah, I'm saving my pennies for this. Not saying I need a 3 way adjustable system, but if it allows for further ability to bias street or track setups then I'd probably opt for it. Combine that with camber/caster plates, and front lift so I don't have to back into my driveway every day and have the lowered stance I want. Lots of win here.
      11-09-2023, 10:43 AM   #14
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Exactly. A dual purpose car is full of compromises and how best you handle them is what makes the difference.

Ha thought that might have been the case thinking you had messaged that . Progressive rates definitely add some complexity to the equation. Keep in mind this is their road kit though - meant to provide noticeable improvement in ride over stock along with performance improvements. I do not anticipate them to provide the performance of the traditional R1 or R3 - but do expect them to be a big jump over oem and still be able to handle a track day admirably. Really looking forward to seeing how far we can push them in both directions though.

Now what they had their with their 991.x Porsche kit is going to be more like what our R1 & R3's can do. This is their elec-TRON R3 kit:

Again until I get my hands on the kit I will not know the range but I expect these to be the pretty spectacular. You have high and low speed adjustment knobs on the remote reservoirs and also connected to the (s)pasm (being Porsche in this case). We will be able to dial these in more closely to our traditional kits and expect to the perfomance to be at or approaching that level. The added cockpit control will be very nice to have too. These are coming down in the pipeline in Porsche first but BMW is closely following.

They also showed this at SEMA:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KnHsl...?feature=share

Their front axle lift system that works with the R1 & R3 kits and is also can be retrofit on existing kits!
Quote:

Quote:

Where do i sign!!! I want these!!!

Sorry for the bold and over-sized font...
      11-09-2023, 04:18 PM   #15
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

Quote:

I spoke to Nitron at SEMA quite a bit about their options for the F87 CS. Of course, the EDC direct plug n play was a nice touch. This company has really impressed me with their offerings and the rep I spoke with (can't remember his name) was very knowledgeable about our platform.

The lift kit, they told me, would be around an extra ~$1600ish, require installation of an external ~6 lbs-ish reservoir, comes with a hardwire button and remote to raise/lower, and would be about a 1" lift. Funny, they told me that no one's really asked them about the lift kit on a BMW before, but here in this thread, I see many thinking about it.

But, yea, that camber/caster adjustable plate was also quite impressive looking.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      11-09-2023, 04:19 PM   #16
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Please don't be $15k. Please don't be $15k. PLEASE don't be $15k...

I just know I'm going to buy these. I'm already mentally preparing my justification to the wife.

"Remember that time I didn't buy that 911, last year? K. Good deal."
OG Shark4692.50
      11-09-2023, 08:39 PM   #17
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:

Going to be about 1" of lift fyi not sure how much you need to clear. Everything they have is top notch - been more than pleased with all of our custom R1 & R3 kits on ours & our customers' cars. Very excited to get the electron R3 on the GT3 RS soon - expect it to be pretty epic.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm saving my pennies for this. Not saying I need a 3 way adjustable system, but if it allows for further ability to bias street or track setups then I'd probably opt for it. Combine that with camber/caster plates, and front lift so I don't have to back into my driveway every day and have the lowered stance I want. Lots of win here.
Yeah they have so much good going on right now. The 3 ways do inherently offer a better ride on the street and the ability to dial right into full track mode vs the one way - the extra adjustability does make a difference there. The R1 can run the lift too though and has the same plates so both of those positives are still there. Still need to get my eyes on the elec-TRON R1 though and see what we are going to be working with there. The road kit will be interesting to see how it slots into the lineup too.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 08:48 PM   #18
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Where do i sign!!! I want these!!!

Sorry for the bold and over-sized font...
Feel free to go bold and over-sized here whenever you want I'm going to keep updating this thread as we get more information and/or the test kits. We are going to dial these in to our specs like we did with the traditional kits too - so will offer our custom line in these as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
I spoke to Nitron at SEMA quite a bit about their options for the F87 CS. Of course, the EDC direct plug n play was a nice touch. This company has really impressed me with their offerings and the rep I spoke with (can't remember his name) was very knowledgeable about our platform.

The lift kit, they told me, would be around an extra ~$1600ish, require installation of an external ~6 lbs-ish reservoir, comes with a hardwire button and remote to raise/lower, and would be about a 1" lift. Funny, they told me that no one's really asked them about the lift kit on a BMW before, but here in this thread, I see many thinking about it.

But, yea, that camber/caster adjustable plate was also quite impressive looking.
They are a definitely a great group. Was out there with them Friday going over all this fun stuff. We do have our traditional kits that compliment the F87 extremely well too - looks like you are in Austin more than welcome to take a ride in our shop M2 with our R1 kit on it if ever in the SA area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVibes View Post
Please don't be $15k. Please don't be $15k. PLEASE don't be $15k...

I just know I'm going to buy these. I'm already mentally preparing my justification to the wife.

"Remember when I didn't buy that 991.2 Carerra T? K. Good deal."
I don't have hard pricing on the the FAL kit yet but in the range they were talking about and combined with what I know the elec-TRON R3 will be priced at you should still come in well below 15k
Appreciate 3
gmhl10384.50
M3R12168.50
      11-13-2023, 05:29 PM   #19
OG Shark
Rep

OP updated...
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 07:52 AM   #20
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OP updated...
The OP shows a pic of a G87. Will there be different kits for F87 and G87?
      11-14-2023, 09:09 AM   #21
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
The OP shows a pic of a G87. Will there be different kits for F87 and G87?
Absolutely - that is just their generic info on the kits as a whole. There will be separate kits that are specific to their platforms just like with the traditional kits
Appreciate 2
M3R12168.50
      11-14-2023, 10:47 AM   #22
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely - that is just their generic info on the kits as a whole. There will be separate kits that are specific to their platforms just like with the traditional kits
Great! It's nice to see actual development on the older F8x chassis!