BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance Coilvers, worth it???

02-15-2021, 04:32 AM   #419
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Tried to change the settings from:

Front: rebound - 9 clicks, pressure - 6 clicks
Rear: rebound - 12 clicks, pressure - 6 clicks

to:

Front: rebound - 9 clicks, pressure - 9 clicks
Rear: rebound - 12 clicks, pressure - 9 clicks

For poor roads changing the pressure from 6 to 9 is what I would highly recommend.

P.S. My M2C has Millway camber plates street version.
With your words ringing in my ears and a 2500km trip over some fairly poor Australian roads approaching I thought I would finally experiment with softer compression than rebound. So I softened 2 clicks all ‘round and drove a familiar and gnarly 15km stretch which is demanding on handling and ride. It was less abrupt but still controlled although I was aware of some slight bounce from the rear over some very challenging rut/crest combos. Backing off compression another 2 clicks (so total 4) and INCREASING rear rebound 2 clicks has allowed a more supple, less harsh and less floaty/bouncy ride. And that’s in comparison to the factory settings which were immediately so much better than stock. Certainly there is a loss of sharpness, connection and steering response/feel but it will do broken tarmac and long hours on dodgy b-roads nicely. So that’s 10 clicks off max compression all round, and 9 clicks off rebound front, 10 rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 05:05 AM   #420
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
What a difference these coilovers make, currently set to BMWs recommended settings

595 front
600 rear (Maxxed out rear)

It does seem a tad lower than I'd like, I may raise it to 600 front 605 rear once they settle in.

Definitely no regret in getting these however, instantly feel the difference when I drove it post install
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
flybigjet6903.00
ASAP10232.50
      02-19-2021, 06:23 AM   #421
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
What a difference these coilovers make, currently set to BMWs recommended settings

595 front
600 rear (Maxxed out rear)

It does seem a tad lower than I'd like, I may raise it to 600 front 605 rear once they settle in.

Definitely no regret in getting these however, instantly feel the difference when I drove it post install
Can you tell us more about your driving impressions?? How does it feel on bumps and roads that aren't perfect? It it as bouncy as the stock suspension? That to me is key.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #422
ASAP
Major General
Rep

VisualEcho any other long term impressions?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #423
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
VisualEcho any other long term impressions?
I can't say enough about how good they are. Yes, the spring rate causes more movement than the stock suspension, and I wish that wasn't there, but the ride is so much more compliant (no more crash!) that it's easily worth it.

One of the best mods I've done to the car for sure.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10232.50
      02-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #424
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I can't say enough about how good they are. Yes, the spring rate causes more movement than the stock suspension, and I wish that wasn't there, but the ride is so much more compliant (no more crash!) that it's easily worth it.

One of the best mods I've done to the car for sure.
I know I've asked this like 15 times but can you clarify?

Is the car generally stiffer hence naturally it will move more over a bump...?

Or

Is it more bouncy like a pogo stick due to not good rebound? Will it jump over bump? If you drive over a bump does the rear end feel like it will take off?

I know it's hard to qualify in words but the 2nd option above would sound terrible to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:07 AM   #425
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:

Or

Is it more bouncy like a pogo stick due to not good rebound? Will it jump over bump? If you drive over a bump does the rear end feel like it will take off?

I know it's hard to qualify in words but the 2nd option above would sound terrible to me.
The car is just 20-30% more bouncy. No other way to describe it. The tires don't leave the road more, it's not a loss of control, there is just more movement in the car. As I said before, when my wife drives the car she notes that her boobs move more. It's not a function of rebound, it's a function of increased spring rate, so you can't "dial" it out. It literally can only be fixed by changing the springs.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10232.50
      02-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #426
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

Or

I've heard people complain about bounce, so I started looking for it. I guess you could say there is some bounce but it's related to the road. Then the other day while driving the X4M40i I noticed it "bounced" in the same exact spot on the road but it was just less noticeable, i.e. I had to pay attention to notice it.

So I guess my point is if you want to keep everything you like about the M2 suspension but get rid of the crashing the MPS will help but you may "notice" more of a bounce over some roads.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10232.50
      02-19-2021, 02:22 PM   #427
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:

Or

I've heard people complain about bounce, so I started looking for it. I guess you could say there is some bounce but it's related to the road. Then the other day while driving the X4M40i I noticed it "bounced" in the same exact spot on the road but it was just less noticeable, i.e. I had to pay attention to notice it.

So I guess my point is if you want to keep everything you like about the M2 suspension but get rid of the crashing the MPS will help but you may "notice" more of a bounce over some roads.
that doesn't sound confident to me
      02-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #428
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I really don't get what coilovers are meant to do lol, need to be a passenger in a car with them to understand I think or better yet the driver!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 06:30 PM   #429
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
I really don't get what coilovers are meant to do lol, need to be a passenger in a car with them to understand I think or better yet the driver!
They give you control over your ride height, and usually how the car reacts (bump/rebound).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #430
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
They give you control over your ride height, and usually how the car reacts (bump/rebound).
Yeh Ive read that umpteen times, thing is people say as above it's great compliance is better , handling, comfort, traction all better.

Oh but it's stiffer too and you feel bumps more?!

Seems mutually exclusive. I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #431
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

Did u guys had to install adjustable end link ?
Or using oem
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #432
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeh Ive read that umpteen times, thing is people say as above it's great compliance is better , handling, comfort, traction all better.

Oh but it's stiffer too and you feel bumps more?!

Seems mutually exclusive. I don't get it.
Yes, stiffer, and yes, weird.

Let me explain it using the stock M2 suspension as an example.

The stock suspension felt very tight, but soaked up a lot of road cracks and bumps without any movement. However, when there was a larger crack or bump, the movement of the car was jarring, what I call "crashy." And in mid corner, encountering a larger crack or bump made the car feel unsettled.

Upon swapping to the MPS I found that I could feel more of the cracks and bumps in the road, like the car was moving me up and down more than it was with the stock suspension, but the top and bottom of those movements felt like they were more in control, and ultimately softer. And the same larger crack or bump in mid corner didn't make the car feel unsettled at all.

So it looks like this.

Stock suspension: less up and down movement, but when the movement exists, it's harsh.

MPS: more up and down movement, but softer, and overall more controlled.

Yes, weird, but yes.

The reason for this change is that the spring rates got stiffer, but the damping got better.

What would be perfect for me? Stock spring rate with MPS damping.

Can that be had? Not that I've found.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #433
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Yes, stiffer, and yes, weird.

Let me explain it using the stock M2 suspension as an example.

The stock suspension felt very tight, but soaked up a lot of road cracks and bumps without any movement. However, when there was a larger crack or bump, the movement of the car was jarring, what I call "crashy." And in mid corner, encountering a larger crack or bump made the car feel unsettled.

Upon swapping to the MPS I found that I could feel more of the cracks and bumps in the road, like the car was moving me up and down more than it was with the stock suspension, but the top and bottom of those movements felt like they were more in control, and ultimately softer. And the same larger crack or bump in mid corner didn't make the car feel unsettled at all.

So it looks like this.

Stock suspension: less up and down movement, but when the movement exists, it's harsh.

MPS: more up and down movement, but softer, and overall more controlled.

Yes, weird, but yes.

The reason for this change is that the spring rates got stiffer, but the damping got better.

What would be perfect for me? Stock spring rate with MPS damping.

Can that be had? Not that I've found.

Cheers thanks that helps.

I think the Litchfield will be like this as they use their own Spring which is custom made and the mission statement from them is slightly softer than stock.

The dampers from Bilstein or Nitron are then custom valved.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #434
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by twboy1999 View Post
Did u guys had to install adjustable end link ?
Or using oem
Yes.

I took the car to get the mperf coilovers set up fettled and set up properly.

I bought adjustable end links.

Once the cars ride height was set and corner balanced, the oem end links were refitted without any issue.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #435
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Cheers thanks that helps.

I think the Litchfield will be like this as they use their own Spring which is custom made and the mission statement from them is slightly softer than stock.

The dampers from Bilstein or Nitron are then custom valved.
Interesting. Should be possible to fit those to other C/O...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:52 PM   #436
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I did quite a bit of research before buying the MPS, and checking the spring rates was a nightmare. Some were progressive, some linear, but all were more aggressive than stock. If the Litchfield's are going with a softer spring rate, I would have considered them more. Overall I'm very happy with my MPS, but will be very interested in hearing how the Litchfield's play out.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:30 AM   #437
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Can you tell us more about your driving impressions?? How does it feel on bumps and roads that aren't perfect? It it as bouncy as the stock suspension? That to me is key.
Sorry for the late response, I'm probably going to have to echo what the others have told you.

You do feel the imperfections and bumps slightly more however it is not intolerable. Although you feel the bumps more, I personally feel like it absorbs them better.

When you really start getting on it, that's when the difference becomes more obvious, much more composed in the corners and confidence inspiring.

Definitely more positives to getting these coilovers than negatives.

Here are some pictures after the springs settled after 500kms of driving, I wouldn't wanna go any lower than this so I think BMWs recommended setting is perfect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
VisualEcho6642.50
ASAP10232.50
      02-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #438
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Thank you... the only real answer is to drive a car with them... and see if I see a noticeable improvement.

What I am really looking for is less pogoing over bumps and much more settled rear over bumps...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #439
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

After hmming and hawing and reading, I set up an appointment to have this installed by a dealer on Monday. I think this will be a great performance upgrade for what I like to do, twisties in the mountains. I don't need more HP for that.

Can't wait!
      03-01-2021, 02:32 PM   #440
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
After hmming and hawing and reading, I set up an appointment to have this installed by a dealer on Monday. I think this will be a great performance upgrade for what I like to do, twisties in the mountains. I don't need more HP for that.

Can't wait!
Congrats let us know how to get on.
Appreciate 0