BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Allocations for October / November/ December (U.S.)

09-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #221
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I'm in!

Got a call from my CA last night. "We have an allocation for you. Going to get you the paperwork for your order. Need it filled out and back today!"

So I went down to the dealer to make the final decision between Alpine White and Mineral Grey (went with the grey), filled out the order paperwork, and got my production number. Here's the interesting thing, on my Vehicle Inquiry Report where my 7-digit production number is listed, it shows status 112 "Scheduled for Daily". Anyone know why/how I could have skipped status 111? I've spoke with others who were in this last batch of allocations who go their orders in 2 weeks ago and are still at status 111. The only think I can think of is that my dealer had a customer who put their order in, was well down the road of having that car scheduled, then pulled out at the last minute. That order then flipped to me which is why the dealer had such a tone of haste and needing to get my order in right away.

In my excitement I forgot to ask for my build week. Hopefully that will shed some light on what occurred.
Appreciate 2
BruceM984.50
      09-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #222
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I'm in!

Got a call from my CA last night. "We have an allocation for you. Going to get you the paperwork for your order. Need it filled out and back today!"

So I went down to the dealer to make the final decision between Alpine White and Mineral Grey (went with the grey), filled out the order paperwork, and got my production number. Here's the interesting thing, on my Vehicle Inquiry Report where my 7-digit production number is listed, it shows status 112 "Scheduled for Daily". Anyone know why/how I could have skipped status 111? I've spoke with others who were in this last batch of allocations who go their orders in 2 weeks ago and are still at status 111. The only think I can think of is that my dealer had a customer who put their order in, was well down the road of having that car scheduled, then pulled out at the last minute. That order then flipped to me which is why the dealer had such a tone of haste and needing to get my order in right away.

In my excitement I forgot to ask for my build week. Hopefully that will shed some light on what occurred.
Quick update - Called BMW Genius. Looks like my production number has a build start date of this week with a completion estimate of week 43. Holy cow! I definitely snagged someone's slot who dropped out last minute.

Went from no allocation to my car starts construction this week in 12 hours. WTH!?
Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00
      09-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #223
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster
Quote:
I'm in!

Quick update - Called BMW Genius. Looks like my production number has a build start date of this week with a completion estimate of week 43. Holy cow! I definitely snagged someone's slot who dropped out last minute.

Went from no allocation to my car starts construction this week in 12 hours. WTH!?
Congrats!!! I'm a week 42 but I was told production won't start until 10/9 at the earliest. Hope I get bumped up sooner!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #224
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Quote:
Anyone know why/how I could have skipped status 111? I've spoke with others who were in this last batch of allocations who go their orders in 2 weeks ago and are still at status 111. The only think I can think of is that my dealer had a customer who put their order in, was well down the road of having that car scheduled, then pulled out at the last minute. That order then flipped to me which is why the dealer had such a tone of haste and needing to get my order in right away.

Order may have already started by the dealer? 111 is just order accepted at AG. 112 is scheduled for production.(http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1181156)

My order went from 111 to 112 pretty quickly.

I guess I should add my name to the Allocations - got a call 2 weeks ago for mine. I've debated between AW and LBB the past few weeks. Went from AW to LBB back to AW (pretty sure my CA has had enough of my indecisiveness).

Anyway, my order:
AW, 6MT, base w/ Black kidneys and fender grills and the pedal kit. Week 42 as well. I'm pumped.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #225
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc
Quote:
Anyone know why/how I could have skipped status 111? I've spoke with others who were in this last batch of allocations who go their orders in 2 weeks ago and are still at status 111. The only think I can think of is that my dealer had a customer who put their order in, was well down the road of having that car scheduled, then pulled out at the last minute. That order then flipped to me which is why the dealer had such a tone of haste and needing to get my order in right away.

Order may have already started by the dealer? 111 is just order accepted at AG. 112 is scheduled for production.(http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1181156)

My order went from 111 to 112 pretty quickly.

I guess I should add my name to the Allocations - got a call 2 weeks ago for mine. I've debated between AW and LBB the past few weeks. Went from AW to LBB back to AW (pretty sure my CA has had enough of my indecisiveness).

Anyway, my order:
AW, 6MT, base w/ Black kidneys and fender grills and the pedal kit. Week 42 as well. I'm pumped.
Congrats! I've been back and forth on the little extras but was pretty set on the color early on. MG for me. I'm doing the black kidney grills and SS pedals. Maybe we'll be boat mates on the trip over. Haha
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #226
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybmmr View Post
Congrats!!! I'm a week 42 but I was told production won't start until 10/9 at the earliest. Hope I get bumped up sooner!
See now that makes a little more sense. I dont want to question the "Genius" but production starting this week and ending a month later in week 43 is not exactly in line with what everyone else is experiencing. My guess is the start date is wrong but the week 43 production is solid. Whatever, I'm just thrilled to have a production number at all.
Appreciate 1
luvmybmmr305.00
      09-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #227
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

you're both a bit off. the week they give is actually the week that the car is due to be completed. so if you account the 14 day production time it makes sense that your car would start soon and finish on the date given

Not trying to one-up you guys. im just repeating the order guide sticky lol
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #228
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M
you're both a bit off. the week they give is actually the week that the car is due to be completed. so if you account the 14 day production time it makes sense that your car would start soon and finish on the date given

Week 42 is 10/17 through 10/23, so it's not too far off from what they told me. In the end, doesn't matter, it's very soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #229
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post

No worries man, any feedback is very much appreciated!

Like luvmybmmr said, it's very soon regardless.

This part of the waiting is waaaaaay worse than waiting for an allocation. It's been like 18 hours and I'm about to come unglued with anticipation. Ha ha ha!

Thanks for the help/clarification guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #230
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post

No worries man, any feedback is very much appreciated!

Like luvmybmmr said, it's very soon regardless.

This part of the waiting is waaaaaay worse than waiting for an allocation. It's been like 18 hours and I'm about to come unglued with anticipation. Ha ha ha!

Thanks for the help/clarification guys.
OMG the number of times I have dialed the genius line and customer service line, plus the number of times I have refreshed the mybmw website is embarrassing at this point!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #231
txx3ddq442
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe, 2015 X5

So, how does the dealer 'get' an allocation?

Not sure this has been discussed, so here goes.

I'm #1 on the list at a very low volume dealer. They know I'm serious and I'm a repeat customer there. I've offered a deposit but they've declined on more than one occasion.

Is there anything they need to do to raise the flag with BMW that they'd like an allocation? Or does the allocation lottery just land on them whether they've got a customer interested or not?

I've asked on a couple of occasions to make sure they've done everything necessary to make sure when the allocations get released that we don't get overlooked. For instance, do they report to BMW that they've got a customer deposit down? Or do they need an order in the system?

Not sure this dealer has dealt with a supply-limited vehicle so I'd hate to think I'm extending my wait simply because BMW didn't know the dealer would like an allocation.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #232
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by txx3ddq442 View Post
Not sure this has been discussed, so here goes.

I'm #1 on the list at a very low volume dealer. They know I'm serious and I'm a repeat customer there. I've offered a deposit but they've declined on more than one occasion.

Is there anything they need to do to raise the flag with BMW that they'd like an allocation? Or does the allocation lottery just land on them whether they've got a customer interested or not?

I've asked on a couple of occasions to make sure they've done everything necessary to make sure when the allocations get released that we don't get overlooked. For instance, do they report to BMW that they've got a customer deposit down? Or do they need an order in the system?

Not sure this dealer has dealt with a supply-limited vehicle so I'd hate to think I'm extending my wait simply because BMW didn't know the dealer would like an allocation.

Thoughts?
I'm 6 and 8 respectively on waiting lists with low volume dealers. Joined the list in August and I'm being told 12 months which puts me in a 2018 if I am lucky. They may only get one or two allocations at a time. I'm talking dealers that have delivered only two M2's each since launch. I have deposits with both of them which I don't really think it matters much except to let the dealer know that you are serious. If not for the deposit, everyone would have their name on 10 lists with 10 different dealers. I don't know how the whole allocation thing works. Maybe there is a thread that covers it but I have not found it yet. Most threads talk about making sure the dealer has an allocation to give. I think there is major wiggle room for the dealer to favor loyal customers, etc. I have never done this with any car I ever wanted to buy. Some dealers, to be honest, seem disinterested in the whole process.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00
      09-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #233
jpics80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 - Alpine White

Why not go out of the area and look for high volume dealers?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #234
jpics80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pedasho View Post
I'm 6 and 8 respectively on waiting lists with low volume dealers. Joined the list in August and I'm being told 12 months which puts me in a 2018 if I am lucky. They may only get one or two allocations at a time. I'm talking dealers that have delivered only two M2's each since launch. I have deposits with both of them which I don't really think it matters much except to let the dealer know that you are serious. If not for the deposit, everyone would have their name on 10 lists with 10 different dealers. I don't know how the whole allocation thing works. Maybe there is a thread that covers it but I have not found it yet. Most threads talk about making sure the dealer has an allocation to give. I think there is major wiggle room for the dealer to favor loyal customers, etc. I have never done this with any car I ever wanted to buy. Some dealers, to be honest, seem disinterested in the whole process.

BMW decides who gets the cars based on the dealer's volume of M cars and 2 series sales.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #235
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Just look elsewhere. They might not want your deposit because they might have been told they would not get an M2 for the first calendar year. US dealers were told about how many to expect a long time ago and many dealers wont even get those.
      09-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #236
AYurch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Got an update from my SM that my car went into 112 status yesterday. After calling customer relations and asking for their update the guy I spoke with couldn't give me an exact build week....meanwhile when I called in last week a woman gave me the week 43/October 17th date. Could just be the guy I spoke with was incompetent. Anybody have that issue?
2007 Honda Civic Si (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 02:53 AM   #237
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

While you were on the phone with the SM, you could have asked.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #238
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Regarding deposits, yes the dealers feel that if you have some skin in the game, you're serious. However when you think about it, if it's refundable, is that really serious?

My name is on 3 lists and 2 of the dealers didn't require a deposit. One of them told me, "taking the deposit was more trouble than it's worth. When the allocations come up, approximately 1/2 will not go through with the purchase, so it's just a waste of their time and energy."

I believe what he said, as I've seen my name move exponentially up the list after the last quarter allocations have come out.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #239
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

So, to continue the theme of anality here , can you tell from the phrases used on Track My BMW what number your status is? I ask because for a couple weeks until very recently, my car has been in the first slot, named "order accepted" below, with words that appear when I passed my cursor over the little car in the slot that said something like "your order has been accepted by BMW AG". I checked again just now, and my car is still in the first slot, but the words below now say "order documented", and the cursor now reveals the message "your order is in the system and on its way to production."

Are these changes meaningful? Is this a status change? When I last spoke to someone on the Genius line, he said they were no longer supposed to discuss status numbers with anybody, for reasons he would not share.

Last edited by BruceM; 09-28-2016 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #240
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
So, to continue the theme of anality here , can you tell from the phrases used on Track My BMW what number your status is? I ask because for a couple weeks until very recently, my car has been in the first slot, named "order accepted" below, with words that appear when I passed my cursor over the little car in the slot that said something like "your order has been accepted by BMW AG". I checked again just now, and my car is still in the first slot, but the words below now say "order documented", and the cursor now reveals the message "your order is in the system and on its way to production."

Are these changes meaningful? Is this a status change? When I last spoke to someone on the Genius line, he said they were no longer supposed to discuss status numbers with anybody, for reasons he would not share.
Hey Bruce, i think you may have just moved from 111 to 112. My Vehicle Inquiry Report from 2 days ago shows I'm at 112 and when I hover over the box on MyBMW, I get the same "your order is in the system and on its way to production" message that you now get.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #241
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
keep the faith... keep watching these pages.... and also contact other dealers than the ones you are in line at. if you want an M2... you will get one if you are resourceful
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #242
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Hey Bruce, i think you may have just moved from 111 to 112. My Vehicle Inquiry Report from 2 days ago shows I'm at 112 and when I hover over the box on MyBMW, I get the same "your order is in the system and on its way to production" message that you now get.
Ok, now this is going to sound totally unconnected, but what is a Vehicle Inquiry Report and how do I get one?

Looks like you and I, in any event, are probably in the same boat, so to speak, on timing of production, at least.
Appreciate 0