BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Quieter Tire Option - Don't Hate

09-07-2022, 01:26 PM   #1
Insane_Dawe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 White ZCP M3

Quieter Tire Option - Don't Hate

I am thinking about swapping my winter tires for a quieter and more comfortable set. Primarily because when cruising up to Wisconsin (3-4 hrs) or Southern Indiana, my loudest factor is the tire noise.

I have a set of PS4S on 513M so they are already on the quiet side. Debating if a switch to DWS06 PLUS or Michelin AS4s would make a notable difference. Anyone make the All Season switch?

Ideally a Grand Touring tire sound the best but sizes are limited reducing my contact patch if I try to stay within 1.5% diameter.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
agent_orange
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 X3 30d, 2021 F87 M2C

Instead of changing tires, I'd look into fitting some of the OEM sound insulating pieces that the F22 had as stock but the F87 didn't.
Meant to make a noticeable difference with tire/road noise.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1452552
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 02:56 AM   #3
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Dawe View Post
I am thinking about swapping my winter tires for a quieter and more comfortable set. Primarily because when cruising up to Wisconsin (3-4 hrs) or Southern Indiana, my loudest factor is the tire noise.

I have a set of PS4S on 513M so they are already on the quiet side. Debating if a switch to DWS06 PLUS or Michelin AS4s would make a notable difference. Anyone make the All Season switch?

Ideally a Grand Touring tire sound the best but sizes are limited reducing my contact patch if I try to stay within 1.5% diameter.
I doubt the AS4 or DWS06 are going to be much quieter than PS4S in the same size. Maybe, but usually more tread blocks and patterns give more noise, unless the tire is specifically designed to be quiet focused. Could be wrong, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 07:41 AM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Dawe View Post

I have a set of PS4S on 513M so they are already on the quiet side. Debating if a switch to DWS06 PLUS or Michelin AS4s would make a notable difference.

Call Tirerack, they will help you with this. I know the Conti DWS06 on my IS350 FSport was noticeably quieter than the Conti ExtremeContactSport I installed just after (both new, one Winter set, one Summer set).

https://worldtirereview.com/best-quietest-tires/

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I doubt the AS4 or DWS06 are going to be much quieter than PS4S in the same size. Maybe, but usually more tread blocks and patterns give more noise, unless the tire is specifically designed to be quiet focused. Could be wrong, though.
Categorically AS tires are *usually* much quieter than Summer tires. I didn't know they were scaled differently until a few years ago, I thought they were all using the same system, but apparently there are changes being made there (probably because of EV's).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #5
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Call Tirerack, they will help you with this. I know the Conti DWS06 on my IS350 FSport was noticeably quieter than the Conti ExtremeContactSport I installed just after (both new, one Winter set, one Summer set).

https://worldtirereview.com/best-quietest-tires/

Categorically AS tires are *usually* much quieter than Summer tires. I didn't know they were scaled differently until a few years ago, I thought they were all using the same system, but apparently there are changes being made there (probably because of EV's).
I think the touring as AS tires are usually quieter, but I am not sure it's always true for the UHP AS tires. PS4S is also an unusually quiet summer tire. You're probably right, though.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      09-13-2022, 08:33 PM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I think the touring as AS tires are usually quieter, but I am not sure it's always true for the UHP AS tires. PS4S is also an unusually quiet summer tire. You're probably right, though.
I agree, the PS4S is unusually quiet when new, but from what I've experienced the GT and AS tires maintain that quietness for much longer. The PSS was such an awesome tire, until you got 10K on it and it started to howl. I think the PS4S is supposed to extend that until 15-20K. But the GT and AS tires are in a different league once the miles get hight. My last Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready tires were quiet at 60K miles when I replaced them.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      09-20-2022, 07:37 PM   #7
superuser
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2c

Do you have ASD turned off? That can help too.
Appreciate 0