BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs RS3 review by Henry Catchpole (Caradvice)

02-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #111
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Direct competitor to the RS3 is an M3....oh wait.
So as a current owner, how do you like it? I know people here are biased towards the RWD setup, but how would you compare the feel of the RS3 to your E92?

I am honestly interested in your thoughts - I can't wait to see the car this weekend at the Chicago auto show. How are you liking the looks? I don't think it looks as understated as some do, but I wonder if the lack of fender flares would bother me or not.

It's a really pretty car to me, especially from the front and sides. The 3/4 view is where you lose some of that bulldog stance that you get with the M2/3...
      02-13-2018, 02:24 AM   #112
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Forget NAV, just a screen to connect to phone!
At the time, it seemed like a good idea, till you have ugly cables running across the dash, phone vibrating and shaking on the mount, constantly losing GPS signals here and there.

Id stick with a factory NAV and keep everything else manual and simple.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 07:15 AM   #113
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
At the time, it seemed like a good idea, till you have ugly cables running across the dash, phone vibrating and shaking on the mount, constantly losing GPS signals here and there.

Id stick with a factory NAV and keep everything else manual and simple.
The thing in both cars (and all across the audi BMW, MB lineup really) right now is a completely wasted and tacky looking visual setup. I preferred my e90 3 series "hump screen" to the repurposed iPod - honestly everything you can do in the car can be done through the controls and the actual gauge display at this point. Why glue on a crappy old iPad?

Personally I'd much rather have my jb4 magnet phone mount it's way less invasive and at least there is a reason it looks "aftermarket" and stuck on.

There is no design element to the screens at all. MB is the worst culprit all around. But seriously you just dont need those middle screens at all if you have digital gauge cluster, and touch screen controls for heating/cooling don't even get me started in how frustrating and distracting that is while you're trying to look at the friggin road.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #114
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLiTzKrG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
"The Audi doesn't like to be pushed at its limit."....and this is on a public road. I can't imagine how uninspiring it would be at the track.
Owned many BMW and (awd) Audi. If you want a fun factory setup - BMW hands down. You can tune an Audi to be more driver oriented (read: fun - less under steer) but it's not that way even in the RS from the factory in my opinion. Not saying they both are not fast from the factory though. You also have to adapt to the AWD in your driving style (slower in - faster off) which many people don't like / aren't used to - which again = less fun for most. Finally if you are only capable of driving at 90% - which most are or should be on public roads - both are great. I prefer the more aggressive styling and more engaging driving experience of the BMW's - but both have their merits.
@dmboone25 are you listening ?
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      02-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #115
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Interesting, as I was playing with the idea to buy an RS3.
I am looking for an AWD sports car and since the M3 and M2 are not I was looking at the RS3.
I don't like their air vents, yet I can learn to live with that if the car is worth the money.
I was considering the M2 but it will be a waste to keep it in the garage since I have at least 6 months of winter in here...
Sand bags in the trunk and winter tires!
kitty litter is a better option than straight sand . Also can be transferred to the cat box later.

Rock salt also has dual uses but can be corrosive if left inside your trunk and a bag breaks open.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      02-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #116
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
Wait a minute; you are in Naperville and so you must have a garage, which means you must have the space! Put those babies up on the wall somewhere! I've got plenty of room in my dinky urban garage for three sets of winters.
This could be an option if my better half didn't also park in the garage AND have a ton of shit that we store out there. I will never understand how ladies accumulate so much stuff.

The other issue is that we are renting, so I try not to put too many things into the walls for ease of moving on @ the end of lease time.
Problem found !!

Assuming you aren't going to ship the girl out .... you need to Stop looking at cars and start looking at homes.

Your rental lifestyle is cramping your car guy style. You need to have about 4 stacks of tires in the garage plus the M3.

A set of all seasons , summer only , and some track tires. Additional wheel and tire sets are CHEAP compared to selling off your depreciating, overly discounted lease M3.

I'm curious for you to get done with your window shopping... all you really need to do is head to your local audi dealer today and test drive an A3. The difference between an M240 and an M2 is large but it's an improvement of say 20-30 percent at best. It won't take long in any A3 in your normal environment, driving it like you would your M3 to determine if this is a driving style you will favor.

At any rate .. on to the auto show .. where you can sit in it and do everything BUT drive it.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      02-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #117
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Of course! We are all biased though.
      02-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #118
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Of course! We are all biased though.
Yes. And I would bet you would hear the same things from a prior merc owner driving a bmw if you were considering a CLA45.. it's a nice looking car ..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #119
///M2Seoul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi RS 3

Quote:
So as a current owner, how do you like it? I know people here are biased towards the RWD setup, but how would you compare the feel of the RS3 to your E92?

I am honestly interested in your thoughts - I can't wait to see the car this weekend at the Chicago auto show. How are you liking the looks? I don't think it looks as understated as some do, but I wonder if the lack of fender flares would bother me or not.

It's a really pretty car to me, especially from the front and sides. The 3/4 view is where you lose some of that bulldog stance that you get with the M2/3...
For what it's worth, I went back and forth and back and forth for months before finally deciding to buy the RS3. For me and my personal needs it was more practical, but in all honesty, I kinda regret it.

Don't get me wrong, the RS3 is nice, but it is rather boring. The car feels rather numb and unexciting. As a daily driver I love it though. It's comfy and really nice to be in especially with the weather we've had in the past week here in Chicago. My in-laws and friends all appreciate the fact it has four doors. And of course when you need the extra oomph, the car definitely has it.

As far as looks is concerned, hands down it is the M2. The RS3 is rather plain Jane. Unless you're an enthusiast it is really hard to distinguish from the A3 and S3.

In the end, I think if I had bought the M2 instead of the RS3, I wouldn't have this lingering feeling of regret. The M2 will pull at the heartstrings and will not disappoint, and this is coming from a current RS3 owner.
Appreciate 5
No Boost4021.00
dmboone254972.00
      02-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #120
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M2Seoul View Post
For what it's worth, I went back and forth and back and forth for months before finally deciding to buy the RS3. For me and my personal needs it was more practical, but in all honesty, I kinda regret it.

Don't get me wrong, the RS3 is nice, but it is rather boring. The car feels rather numb and unexciting. As a daily driver I love it though. It's comfy and really nice to be in especially with the weather we've had in the past week here in Chicago. My in-laws and friends all appreciate the fact it has four doors. And of course when you need the extra oomph, the car definitely has it.

As far as looks is concerned, hands down it is the M2. The RS3 is rather plain Jane. Unless you're an enthusiast it is really hard to distinguish from the A3 and S3.

In the end, I think if I had bought the M2 instead of the RS3, I wouldn't have this lingering feeling of regret. The M2 will pull at the heartstrings and will not disappoint, and this is coming from a current RS3 owner.
This kind of candor is pretty refreshing - it's not easy for people to get past the cognitive dissonance and tell it like it is, better or worse. I did see a Youtube video, I forget where it was done, maybe South Africa, really well done with high production quality, you may have seen it too. They compared the two cars, and while they were hot for the M2, they did concede that if they had to deal with traffic, and stop and go, and weather, etc. etc. they'd be happier living with the RS3. So while you may have regrets, at the end of the day you're driving a sweet machine that most people will never get to experience. And you've got build quality, interior materials and fit and finish that few other automakers can match. Have you ever looked closely at the shut lines and panel gaps on these new Audis? Good luck finding even the slightest variation. I think that's pretty cool...every time you walk up to it, you know that you're about to drive something that was put together right.
Appreciate 2
dmboone254972.00
      02-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #121
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
The thing in both cars (and all across the audi BMW, MB lineup really) right now is a completely wasted and tacky looking visual setup. I preferred my e90 3 series "hump screen" to the repurposed iPod - honestly everything you can do in the car can be done through the controls and the actual gauge display at this point. Why glue on a crappy old iPad?

Personally I'd much rather have my jb4 magnet phone mount it's way less invasive and at least there is a reason it looks "aftermarket" and stuck on.

There is no design element to the screens at all. MB is the worst culprit all around. But seriously you just dont need those middle screens at all if you have digital gauge cluster, and touch screen controls for heating/cooling don't even get me started in how frustrating and distracting that is while you're trying to look at the friggin road.

Hmm yea, if the digital gauge cluster duplicates pretty much all the functionality of the "nav" screen it's pretty redundant and it's in the wrong place. They all look tacked on, but I rather have them than nothing at all and no digital gauge cluster.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #122
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes. And I would bet you would hear the same things from a prior merc owner driving a bmw if you were considering a CLA45.. it's a nice looking car ..
The CLA45 is not a nice looking car.
Appreciate 2
bobert858.50
      02-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #123
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The CLA45 is not a nice looking car.
I agree.. but that's about the best thing that can be said about it.. and actually.. specifically the issue that dmboone25 has is with regards to vehicle INTERIORS.

He feels the M2 is low rent..
The M3/M4 are acceptable.. but just barely..
He hopes to find Porsche interior at Audi pricing. but just hasn't realized that the Audi driving experience is low rent compared to BMW and Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #124
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:

2014 Mercedes AMG CLA 45
2012 Golf R
2003 BMW ///M3
I just wanted to repost your comments and include your sig line..

you currently own an E46 M3.
you currently own an AMG CLA45
you previously owned an Audi RS3
and you currently wish you had purchased a BMW M2

I mean... wow.. throw a Cayman in there and you will have owned practically all of the perceived competitors to the M2.

Have you considered the F80 M3 ?

@dmboone25 appears to be going through the same list of cars..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #125
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Winter tires are better solution than AWD; of course, if really have to be serious, both would be even more effective.
Sorry to disagree with you, The X1 xDrive with Continental DWS tires is better than my M3 with winter tires.
as a side note, I am aware of the 50;50 distribution, yet, in the snow pulling is better than pushing.
But, I also strongly believe that the M2 will handle snow better than M3 and never had the chance to drive one in the winter with winter tires.
Still, I will keep an X1 kind of vehicle with AWD for winter hands down.

Last edited by Teutonic; 02-13-2018 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #126
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:

The RS3 seems really good for your use case though. It's good at what it's for. Practical, fast, AWD, sounds good, doesn't visually get you attention, and not a huge boat.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #127
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post

I owned a brand new 2018 Golf R for 6 months, it was all digital and it was nice, but after 2 weeks i missed the simple analog dials and a simple dash, and i returned the car and picking up an E82 instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #128
///M2Seoul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi RS 3

Quote:

I mean... wow.. throw a Cayman in there and you will have owned practically all of the perceived competitors to the M2.

LOL...nono, the E46 is the garage queen. The CLA45 is the wife's car and the Golf R was the previous car which the RS3 replaced.

If I had gone the M2 route, that would've meant selling the E46 M3 and keeping the Golf R. I just couldn't get rid of the M3 though.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #129
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
LOL...nono, the E46 is the garage queen. The CLA45 is the wife's car and the Golf R was the previous car which the RS3 replaced.

If I had gone the M2 route, that would've meant selling the E46 M3 and keeping the Golf R. I just couldn't get rid of the M3 though.
So what I hear you saying to my friend dmboone25 is that the CLA45 isn't special... and neither is the RS3... and those are both AWD vehicles.. and instead you sold the FRONT wheel drive Golf R and kept the RWD M3 for fun days... because the AWD machines are boring.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #130
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
I agree.. but that's about the best thing that can be said about it.. and actually.. specifically the issue that dmboone25 has is with regards to vehicle INTERIORS.

He feels the M2 is low rent..
The M3/M4 are acceptable.. but just barely..
He hopes to find Porsche interior at Audi pricing. but just hasn't realized that the Audi driving experience is low rent compared to BMW and Porsche.
It's no fun to be in your crosshairs.

I am going to drive an M2 this weekend....will report back.
      02-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #131
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:

That would be a great list of cars to go through.
      02-14-2018, 12:00 AM   #132
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I had a large number of cars in my life and worked in the field for a while as well. Except town little driving or (some) cleared highway driving, there is no way that the M2 will be similar with an AWD vehicle regadless how much you and others are screaming “marketing”. How people will make ”extra bucks”, when the M2 is more money than a properly equiped AWD vehicle?
What are you talking about?

Where I am going with the AWD properly equiped, I wasn’t able to go with the M3 and M5 with winter tires. Please keep in mind I am running DWS all seasons, on my xDrive, I dont need two sets of rims and tires, and I dont take my vehicle to the dealership to switch tires; the less my car sees the dealership and the mechanic, the better. No dirty wheels in the trunk and back seats, no teared leather or sagging seats from waiting in the lot loaded with wheels, no bill, no smudges on my seats. Thank you. Plus, front wheels pulling have their benefits in poor traction environment.
Yes, the M’s are very nice vehicles but have their limits.

An AWD is an AWD. To say that 2 wheels equals 4 is not just mathematical wrong but logic too.
Stop fooling yourself, a tire and an LSD is not everything. If three wheels have no traction but the fourth one has, that alone might save the day.
I have all traction systems in my garage and none can handle my hill and snow like the xDrive. Not even a week ago, my neighbour could not PARK in the garage his M3 equiped with snow tires due to the sudden snowfall. He got his lesson I think.
Really, a manufacturer makes the SUV’s AWD beacuse of marketing? If RWD will be better, they wouldn’t bother with a four wheel traction system. C”mon guys, some technical common sense please.

I cant believe I am reading this in here. Is like me saying, Hey my X1 can tow that three ton fifth wheel too, I just need good tires...
I've been driving to ski resorts through mountain passes covered in snow for many years. I've never had an issue with a RWD car with winter tires other than ground clearance.

I'm not saying that x-drive wouldn't have added grip in those situation, but on public roads with good winter tires and a competent driver, its not necessary.

In some extremely steep/icy conditions then yeah I suppose you can make a case for it. But if your use case is that you're too lazy to switch to proper tires for the conditions than you're endangering yourself and everyone on the road because your stopping power is no better with x-drive than it is with RWD. Your tires are far more important.

And yes, most manufacturers make SUVs with AWD for marketing because fairies like you think AWD is necessary when its foggy or drizzly out. 95% of SUVs aren't going off the road. They're for soccer moms who think they're too trendy to drive a minivan. Nobody in the US is buying them for utility. Maybe elsewhere they are, but in the US, no way, people just think they look cool.
Appreciate 1