BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Another MPE thread - don't hate me

04-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Another MPE thread - don't hate me

I've read a ton already, and continue to research, the MPE for my 2018. I've priced this out through Brian at Sun Motors and with the carbon tips and shipping I can get it for $2,565. My local dealer will install it for me for $375 for a total of $2,940. This is $1,000 less than another dealer wants for parts and labor.

I feel like this is a good deal, but was interested in what others think.

I'm still watching videos to do sound comparisons since I don't know of any other M2s locally, but from what I've heard online it really sounds awesome. I realize this is subjective, but also interested in people's thoughts.

Thanks

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBuff View Post
I'm still watching videos to do sound comparisons since I don't know of any other M2s locally, but from what I've heard online it really sounds awesome. I realize this is subjective, but also interested in people's thoughts.
...on the outside. Here is a clip i took at only half revs -still in break in period.

Not too bad, right?

BUT...it Drones like a Bitch on the inside, especially if you go with aftermarket DP. Ask me how I know. I am likely going to cut it off...beat it to a pulp with a pipe wrench and throw it off a cliff...but I'm not angry about it or anything.

I've heard that Remus sounds good and doesn't have such bad drone issues...but still trying to find someone around here that has one so I can hear it for myself...then make the switch.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
...on the outside. Here is a clip i took at only half revs -still in break in period.

Not too bad, right?

BUT...it Drones like a Bitch on the inside, especially if you go with aftermarket DP. Ask me how I know. I am likely going to cut it off...beat it to a pulp with a pipe wrench and throw it off a cliff...but I'm not angry about it or anything.

I've heard that Remus sounds good and doesn't have such bad drone issues...but still trying to find someone around here that has one so I can hear it for myself...then make the switch.
Thanks. I actually watched your video last night and your car does sound great. I've read about the drone, but haven't had any luck in finding a video that illustrates the drone. I'm also embarrassed to say that I'm not sure that I'd know it if I heard it.

What I don't want to do is invest a bunch of money just to turn around and hate it.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBuff View Post
I'm also embarrassed to say that I'm not sure that I'd know it if I heard it.

What I don't want to do is invest a bunch of money just to turn around and hate it.
Let me illustrate...

...that but your driving a better car (i.e. not the Dog mobile).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Let me illustrate...

...that but your driving a better car (i.e. not the Dog mobile).
WTH...

Do you really hate it that much? I can't tell?

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:

Not too bad, right?

The drone is actually ASD. I have the ASD delete cable and have zero drone in sport.
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      04-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #7
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:

Not too bad, right?

The drone is actually ASD. I have the ASD delete cable and have zero drone in sport.
I have ASD coded off. It is not ASD.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #8
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:
I have ASD coded off. It is not ASD.
Must be your down pipe then. I have no drone.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:20 PM   #9
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Must be your down pipe then. I have no drone.
Beg to differ. Drone at 3K RPM under load is inevitable with the MPE. It's just baked into the design. I've coded out ASD and while it's certainly better, that drone is always going to be there under the right conditions (i.e. freeway driving, going up hills, etc).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #10
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Beg to differ. Drone at 3K RPM under load is inevitable with the MPE. It's just baked into the design. I've coded out ASD and while it's certainly better, that drone is always going to be there under the right conditions (i.e. freeway driving, going up hills, etc).
All I can say is my M Performance exhaust doesn’t drone. Maybe I am lucky.

By the way I have the ASD delete harness.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #11
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
All I can say is my M Performance exhaust doesn’t drone. Maybe I am lucky.

By the way I have the ASD delete harness.
Cool. With 2017 and 2018 model year cars you can code off ASD (using BimmerCode or Carly) and don't need the physical harness, just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Cool. With 2017 and 2018 model year cars you can code off ASD (using BimmerCode or Carly) and don't need the physical harness, just FYI.
I know but the harness lets you be immune to BMW software updates. I have also heard (rumor only) that you can still get some drone with ASD coded out.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #13
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I have my ASD coded off and yes it still drones like a bitch. I have an ER catless downpipe. Just installed so im giving it some time to break in before I see what I do but its definitely very droney, valves open and closed.

A wider mid pipe was suggested to me to mitigate this some. Any thoughts on that?

Any other ways to at least kill the drone a bit?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #14
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:

Not too bad, right?

Whats the break in period on these? Just out of curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #15
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 410 View Post
I've read a ton already, and continue to research, the MPE for my 2018. I've priced this out through Brian at Sun Motors and with the carbon tips and shipping I can get it for $2,565. My local dealer will install it for me for $375 for a total of $2,940. This is $1,000 less than another dealer wants for parts and labor.

I feel like this is a good deal, but was interested in what others think.

Thanks
That's not a bad deal. I paid $2700 shipped for mine combined with some slightly used carbon tips. I did the install myself. The exhaust sounds nice, but it's different than the videos, which always sound better because your hearing it from the outside.

It does drone some but I mainly notice it in sport-mode, which is the way I drive it 90% of the time. In comfort-mode at highway speeds, it's about as quiet as the stock exhaust IMO. This is all from my experience driving it with the flaps closed. I've only driven it extensively with the flaps open, this past weekend when I went to the mountains. It droned a little more then, but not enough to bother me. My Focus RS with a borla catback, was a lot louder and probably obnoxious to some, than this exhaust.
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      04-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #16
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
That's not a bad deal. I paid $2700 shipped for mine combined with some slightly used carbon tips. I did the install myself. The exhaust sounds nice, but it's different than the videos, which always sound better because your hearing it from the outside.

It does drone some but I mainly notice it in sport-mode, which is the way I drive it 90% of the time. In comfort-mode at highway speeds, it's about as quiet as the stock exhaust IMO. This is all from my experience driving it with the flaps closed. I've only driven it extensively with the flaps open, this past weekend when I went to the mountains. It droned a little more then, but not enough to bother me. My Focus RS with a borla catback, was a lot louder and probably obnoxious to some, than this exhaust.
Your drone in sports mode is ASD. The exhaust itself has the same noise in all modes. That is why I installled an ASD delete harness.
Appreciate 2
RussM4263.50
qnet684.50
      04-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #17
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Quote:

Not too bad, right?

Whats the break in period on these? Just out of curiosity.
2000 kms.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #18
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Your drone in sports mode is ASD. The exhaust itself has the same noise in all modes. That is why I installled an ASD delete harness.
Yes, the MPE operates independent of the modes, something I hadn't thought about. The weather has been cooler than normal in Georgia this time of year. I've been driving with my windows closed and this is were you hear it more (the drone from ASD).

With the windows down, and moonroof open the ASD has less effect, as far has being able to hear it. The wind & MPE drowns it out, and I like that more. I still may try the harness out, it just doesn't bother me as bad as some.

My main thing is, wanting to have the radio play better, it doesn't sound bad but if I can make it better, why not. I think you or someone else mentioned that the audio system sounds better with ASD off. I like listening to my music, so this is something I may look into soon.
Appreciate 1
DanG10793.50