BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Speed Dependent Ticking Noise

11-06-2023, 01:47 PM   #1
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Speed Dependent Ticking Noise

Hello all,

I have been experiencing a speed dependent tapping/ticking noise from my right rear for the last two months or so and I have had no luck diagnosing it. Has anyone else dealt with this before?

It is a fairly light noise, and only noticeable between about 5 and 30 MPH. It sounds almost like a zip tie is around the axle and is smacking a suspension arm, but I have looked and found nothing, and a shop putting it on the rack was able to recreate the noise but has not been able to diagnose it.

SSR had the car up on a lift and removed/checked the wheels, ended up replacing the rear left axle seal which was leaking, but nothing has fixed the issue. I am wondering now if there is something in the brake dust shield, but I have no clear answers.

I'll try to take a video later and post it, but wondering if someone else has dealt with it before.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Possibly a rear parking brake not fully disengaging which wouldn’t be visible with a wheel off.

I had this issue. To much bs to type my whole story but it’s worth considering in your case.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #3
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Possibly a rear parking brake not fully disengaging which wouldn’t be visible with a wheel off.

I had this issue. To much bs to type my whole story but it’s worth considering in your case.
What was the solution in your case to that issue? Just adjusting via the hole in the hub?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 05:44 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

https://youtu.be/sIJsnr7VH0k?si=IITZKX7a6uaWeZH3
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 06:39 PM   #5
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Tommy is great but unfortunately OP has traced it to the rear.

My issue was/is the rear parking brake not fully disengaging when the handle is fully depressed. BMW dealership to thank for it. When I got mine and it was under warranty I took it to the dealer to have them install the updated brake dust shields. The rears required removal/replacement of the parking brake assembly and it took the tech an extra day to do it because he was struggling.

When I get the car back, the parking brake neeeever felt quite the same. The pull was off. Didn’t want to be the guy whining to a service manager that “the FEEL of my parking brake pull isn’t right” so I let it be. Cut to 3yrs later, precisely one week before a track weekend and I’ve got a rotational noise I can’t pin down coming from the rear. I presumed just like you that something was caught in the dust shield.

After thoroughly visually inspecting and removing pads I realized that wasn’t it and it hit me… F parking brake. So I pulled the brake juuuust a hair and spun the wheel and MF if that wasn’t the same sound. Fortunately a hard yank of the e-brake and a hard release was enough to disengage everything and my noise is gone but, it definitely isn’t completely addressed.

YMMV. God speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:38 PM   #6
gsm2x3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw x3 35i, 2018 bmw m2

I had a similar problem like a ticking sound from the rear. Sometimes squeaking and clicking. And it ended up being a loose/ broken break pad ear. Replaced the pads and it went away 🤷‍♂️
Appreciate 1