BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Is the M2 going to work if I have a baby?!

04-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #45
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
Honestly, I'd go F80 M3 if I had kids.
Truth! Have a 1yo and currently using a Chicco convertible seat in the rear facing position. I pick her up from daycare every day and I can't imagine what a pain it would be to try and get her in and out of a rear facing seat in a coupe day after day.
      04-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #46
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehnam
I'm on the wait list at the moment for an M2 and have been for months, but my wife and I are now trying to have our first baby. As a result, my wife has now repeatedly told me that I have no idea how annoying its going to be to try to get a baby seat into my M2. She drives a Subaru Foerster, so it wouldn't be our primary family transport, but I'd imagine there will definitely be times where I'll need to be taking our baby in the M2.

My general question is does anyone have a clue as to how big of a PITA this would be, and secondly, any reason to suspect that the M2 would be any less safe than the standard 2 series?

On the safety point, I figure the M2 will have better braking and control, but I'm wondering if any of the weight savings would significantly affect safety for a child in the back seat.

As far as getting an M2 when having an infant, if you guys think it won't work, can you suggest some alternatives? The two obvious choices of M3 and RS3 are a bit too pricey as I'd like to spend mid to high 50s max. I also have a knee injury, so I'd need a car with a dual clutch transmission (or, if that is impossible, an excellent automatic, like the M235s ZF8).

I appreciate any help I can get... this is all so new to me.
It'll be a pain in the ass, like sleep training your kid.

You've been warned!!

Reality is, your wife's Subaru will get used more, and I'd recommend a car with a soft suspension over a stiff one until your kid has neck control.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #47
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

My first born came into this world, the very same day my 1M rolled out of the factory. So tike-transport was part of my considerations: my first mod was the 'passenger airbag deactivation switch', option 470 retrofit. Outside NA sold as a ready made cable retrofit kit; this cable runs between passenger dashboard side panel and the ABG module between the front seats. I always drove with kiddy on the front passenger seat. Great access, no strains and perfect piece of mind for the both of us.

It involves the easiest level of coding. Your friendly neighbourhood coder will know or in countries where the retrofit kit is available, the dealer can do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 06:49 AM   #48
jc9elfer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BSM M2, 08 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehnam View Post
I'm on the wait list at the moment for an M2 and have been for months, but my wife and I are now trying to have our first baby. As a result, my wife has now repeatedly told me that I have no idea how annoying its going to be to try to get a baby seat into my M2. She drives a Subaru Foerster, so it wouldn't be our primary family transport, but I'd imagine there will definitely be times where I'll need to be taking our baby in the M2.

My general question is does anyone have a clue as to how big of a PITA this would be, and secondly, any reason to suspect that the M2 would be any less safe than the standard 2 series?

On the safety point, I figure the M2 will have better braking and control, but I'm wondering if any of the weight savings would significantly affect safety for a child in the back seat.

As far as getting an M2 when having an infant, if you guys think it won't work, can you suggest some alternatives? The two obvious choices of M3 and RS3 are a bit too pricey as I'd like to spend mid to high 50s max. I also have a knee injury, so I'd need a car with a dual clutch transmission (or, if that is impossible, an excellent automatic, like the M235s ZF8).

I appreciate any help I can get... this is all so new to me.
....where there's a will there's a way! I put a full-size car seat in the back of my 911...had to lean one seat all the way up and the other all the way back to slide it over the console into the back seat behind the passenger and my wife had to sit with her nose on the dashboard! My daughter is now 12...different 911, but she still loves sliding in the back seat. Go for it, it will be worth the while.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #49
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9elfer View Post
....where there's a will there's a way! I put a full-size car seat in the back of my 911...had to lean one seat all the way up and the other all the way back to slide it over the console into the back seat behind the passenger and my wife had to sit with her nose on the dashboard! My daughter is now 12...different 911, but she still loves sliding in the back seat. Go for it, it will be worth the while.
Agree. I recommend not trying to MAKE a baby in the M2, but transporting should be ok.
      04-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #50
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

I have two younger kids. 4 and 10 month and I have an M2, although they haven't been in it yet. BUT, they were always in my 1M. Point? None.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #51
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Nope, M2s are known to stop working once you have a baby.

On a serious note, you live and learn. Try it, it's doable but not ideal to have a small 2 door and backward facing car seat. Your lady will be the first to point this out.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 04:59 AM   #52
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
I'm on the wait list at the moment for an M2 and have been for months, but my wife and I are now trying to have our first baby. As a result, my wife has now repeatedly told me that I have no idea how annoying its going to be to try to get a baby seat into my M2.
Sit down and hear some truth. When we had our first baby, I did everything to be a model husband. I kept our 4 door GTI, got the best pram, baby seat etc. I missed out so wifey would be happy, and she was. We had our second kid and instead of the RWD coupe I always wanted, I got a wagon (which is great, but I had to compromise, again). The only person who didn't have to compromise was the person who was getting to do what they always wanted to, be a mum.

Now, with all that under my belt, I'm trading the wagon for a smaller, less practical coupe. Because I know now that if I wait for a time when everything is perfect and I can do what I want, that time will never come. Will there be problems? Sure. Is she gonna deal? Goddamn right she will. She has her B-Class for when I'm at work, rest of the time, I will go to damn pilates if I have to to learn how to get a baby in and out of the back seat of an M2.

Getting the car you want doesn't make you a bad husband, it makes you an equal partner in a relationship that works for both of you. If you decide, decide on your terms, because it's your decision. Otherwise you'll end up with a car you bought to cover 1% of your driving.
Appreciate 3
      04-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #53
monaa11
Banned
Rep
Drives: it easy @ beautful

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #54
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post
Sit down and hear some truth. When we had our first baby, I did everything to be a model husband. I kept our 4 door GTI, got the best pram, baby seat etc. I missed out so wifey would be happy, and she was. We had our second kid and instead of the RWD coupe I always wanted, I got a wagon (which is great, but I had to compromise, again). The only person who didn't have to compromise was the person who was getting to do what they always wanted to, be a mum.

Now, with all that under my belt, I'm trading the wagon for a smaller, less practical coupe. Because I know now that if I wait for a time when everything is perfect and I can do what I want, that time will never come. Will there be problems? Sure. Is she gonna deal? Goddamn right she will. She has her B-Class for when I'm at work, rest of the time, I will go to damn pilates if I have to to learn how to get a baby in and out of the back seat of an M2.

Getting the car you want doesn't make you a bad husband, it makes you an equal partner in a relationship that works for both of you. If you decide, decide on your terms, because it's your decision. Otherwise you'll end up with a car you bought to cover 1% of your driving.
*High Five*

Cheers
Robin(2 kids, 22 and 16 y/o)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #55
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

A lot of advice on here, some good some maybe not so good. I will stay away from giving you marriage advice You are the only one that knows the dynamic of your relationship.

But since you asked for life advice... If you think you can push the M2 in your situation - as some have said, it will physically work (with some effort). Though if you have knee problems the extra effort might be really painful. If not, and M3 is outside your range, look into a hot hatch like the Golf R or Focus RS and bide your time. Once the kid is ready to clamber into a M2 back seat him or herself, they will likely enjoy the ride too.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #56
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

I think it really depends on how often you will be riding in your M as a family; A rear facing infant seat will significantly impact how far you can move one of your front seats back. So, perhaps put the rear facing seat behind the front passenger seat...

Front facing seats are a different story. I have a booster behind the passenger seat- there's actually plenty of room. I have a front facing child seat behind me. It takes up a bit more space, but I'm not tall (5'6"), so I have plenty of room...

-c
Attached Images

2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #57
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
My experience has been that it was easier in my 1 series (slighlty smaller than a 2 series) than it was in a 4 door TSX, civic, corolla, and an ATS. It was of course easier in mid size SUVs due to their size. So if you are sticking to a small car, a coupe doesnt always mean worse.

Will you be riding with a child and adult passenger frequently? If so, it will be a bit uncomfortable for your passenger while the car seat is rear facing. Once the kid is big enough to ride facing forward it is perfectly fine until they get over 5ft tall and need more legroom.

The rear facing seats are very easy as the base stays in the car. You open the door, fold the seat forward and drop the carrier on the base with 1 arm. No twisting and turning the carrier to get it in easily due to c pillar, roof line, and front seat like in a small sedan (if only the sedan seats folded forward so easily).

When they get into a full size rear facing without the base and carrier you just fold the drivers seat up (or put them behind you depending on how you like to be seated while driving). You can then easily sit down in the other rear seat and get them settled.

Once they are forward facing it is easier again. Just fold the front seat forward and lift them into their seat. I then put 1 foot in the car and squat to strap them in. I found this easier on my back than staying bent over while standing like I had to do in small sedans. From there it wont take long for them to be able to climb into their seat on their own and do most of the work for you. My son now gets in by himself and buckles up. i just unfold the front seat, close the passenger door, and then check he buckled well and tighten him down in about 5 seconds once in the drivers seat.

Please note that I had my 135i before my son was born, and he is now 4 and I still have it.

With that said, everyone is different. I suggest you guy buy or borrow some child seats and go to a dealer and try putting them in the back of a 2 series a few times to see what your view is. then try the same with a 4 door car you like. then you can make an informed decision from your experience and preferences.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #58
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9elfer View Post
Agree. I recommend not trying to MAKE a baby in the M2, but transporting should be ok.
I tried making a baby in my 1M once . I'm happy to report The attempt was successful but the final result was no child
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #59
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons
Quote:
I'm on the wait list at the moment for an M2 and have been for months, but my wife and I are now trying to have our first baby. As a result, my wife has now repeatedly told me that I have no idea how annoying its going to be to try to get a baby seat into my M2.

Total truth !

Love this!

Fortunately , I had this attitude and didn't need the pep talk! My wife wanted me to sell my E30 M3 and get a Honda Minivan. She drove a Honda Accord 2 DR coupe at the time with 5MT.

I told Her .. *you* trade your car in on the van and I'll keep the two door. My back will be just fine putting our daughter in the back of my M3. It's my dream car. As it turns out, she never sold her 2 door coupe and neither did I, and we both reached into the back seat. It was a lot easier in the accord of course but it was no problem at all in the E30.

Being a parent and having memories of driving with your child is awesome ! My daughter absolutely loved it and giggled when I drove with her in my M3.

She currently drives a BMW now ..
Appreciate 1
omasou2089.00
      11-22-2016, 03:05 AM   #60
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Anyone recommend a group 1 rear with iso fix baby car seat?

Thanks
      11-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #61
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Babies are over rated. M2s are not.

Seriously though I wouldn't do it. Yeah the small coupe aspect is a PITA but don't forget about that semi-stiff suspension that the little jelly roll might not appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #62
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Babies are over rated. M2s are not.

Seriously though I wouldn't do it. Yeah the small coupe aspect is a PITA but don't forget about that semi-stiff suspension that the little jelly roll might not appreciate.
Yea we have a second family car which the missus uses and as the main baby carrier.

Just like the idea of getting a toddler seat and fitted in the rear for that occasion.

Any suggestions pls?
      11-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #63
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I would imagine a rear facing child seat on the P/S will render the P/S front seat unusable.

Oh, don't forget about trying to put a stroller/carriage and the ton of stuff the wife deems necessary in the trunk!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #64
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I would imagine a rear facing child seat on the P/S will render the P/S front seat unusable.
That's fine. The missus uses the rear seat when the baby is on board anyway.

Anyway the query is more towards those with a baby seat...
      11-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #65
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2wolf View Post
That's fine. The missus uses the rear seat when the baby is on board anyway.

That's fine but how comfortable will she be with you in the D/S?

Anyway the query is more towards those with a baby seat...
Baby seat == rear facing child seat.

I would forget the sport cars until the children can sit in a forward facing seat and buckle themselves in or do it with help. For reference I have a 6 year old and 9 year old.

Oh, and they don't have any common sense before that age or maybe still so don't expect them to step into the car and care about what they step on, kick, etc.

I personally, would not put a child in the front seat even w/the airbags disabled.

Trust me don't do it. She'll hold it over your head for the rest of life.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #66
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Toddler is 20 months. And will be seated facing forward in the rear.