BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Scratched my M2 today

06-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Scratched my M2 today

Was taking something out of the trunk made of wood. Lost balance on it and it hit the top part of the rear bumper under the license place. Put a nice gash about 2 1/2 inches, all the way down to the bumper material.
Sucks, but here is the thing I want to ask. Honestly the hit was minor, think it just happened to catch an edge on the wood and caused the gash. I noticed the paint seemed to roll, almost like it was a wrap. And it was very hot today in Phoenix, about 105 degrees F. I know that the bumper is made of a flexible material, which I would expect to maybe not be as hard as metal. But very disappointed that it could not take a minor hit like that. When I rubbed my finger over it, the paint seemed to roll off. like it was not adhering to the body material. Stretching here, but wonder if I have a warranty case with BMW. Thinking if the heat caused the paint to soften and allow this minor hit to cause the damage.
In any case, I'd be careful. Especially if it is really warm outside
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
It should be fairly cheap to get it fix. I did a simllar thing to my M235i and it cost me $150 to get it fixed. They did a great job and you could never tell that it was scratched.

I don’t think BMW will help you.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post

Was taking something out of the trunk made of wood. Lost balance on it and it hit the top part of the rear bumper under the license place. Put a nice gash about 2 1/2 inches, all the way down to the bumper material.
Sucks, but here is the thing I want to ask. Honestly the hit was minor, think it just happened to catch an edge on the wood and caused the gash. I noticed the paint seemed to roll, almost like it was a wrap. And it was very hot today in Phoenix, about 105 degrees F. I know that the bumper is made of a flexible material, which I would expect to maybe not be as hard as metal. But very disappointed that it could not take a minor hit like that. When I rubbed my finger over it, the paint seemed to roll off. like it was not adhering to the body material. Stretching here, but wonder if I have a warranty case with BMW. Thinking if the heat caused the paint to soften and allow this minor hit to cause the damage.
In any case, I'd be careful. Especially if it is really warm outside
The paint seems to be really soft. I don't think BMW will help you though. Hopefully you can use touch up (dr color chip) or get someone to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:20 AM   #4
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

That's a sign. Sell it and get an M2 Competition.
Appreciate 1
kfscoll208.50
      06-04-2018, 05:34 AM   #5
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
That's a sign. Sell it and get an M2 Competition.
But the seats would still be crooked.

OP can u post a pic?
Appreciate 0