BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 Vs M2 Competition

04-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #45
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
I've said this or something similar in other threads but here i go again...
Sure a new engine is better than an old engine but the main reason people are holding out for the s55 is because it is a true m engine instead of the tuned and modified regular car engine that the n55 is.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a lineup to get the m2 comp where i live.
"M-badged cars traditionally include modified engines, transmissions, suspensions, interior trims, aerodynamics, and exterior modifications to set them apart from their counterparts." I dunno, sounds like the N55 in the M2 qualifies as an M engine even though it's not designated "S"
      04-20-2018, 05:23 AM   #46
chrisw27
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw27 View Post
An m2 with fbo mods + pure stg 2 turbos would be significantly faster than the m2 comp, and arguably sound better too...
10K (at least) for the above seems more than sufficient.
Either way, im only rocking an '11 135i, so i would envy making such a decision
So you put downpipes and a good tune on the S55 for under 1k and say bye bye to the N55 again.
true, but youre still thousands ahead with the base m2 plus mods
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #47
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw27 View Post
true, but youre still thousands ahead with the base m2 plus mods
Labours are not cheap. Especially when something goes wrong. Tuning is not so cheap.

What about brakes? More rigid front end on the Comp? Ball joint suspension on the rear? Better cooling system?

When you factor everything in (not just the turbos) it's not so cheap at the end and you never get those money back when you sell the car.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      04-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #48
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Definitely holding onto my 17 M2.. What attracted me to this car in the first place was the absolutely incredible deal of price with what I received. The comp is going to cost MUCH more, and basically be a new m3/4 along with more weight added. That does not sound like the big brother to the baby 1M that made me love the car in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #49
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaing51 View Post
Definitely holding onto my 17 M2.. What attracted me to this car in the first place was the absolutely incredible deal of price with what I received. The comp is going to cost MUCH more, and basically be a new m3/4 along with more weight added. That does not sound like the big brother to the baby 1M that made me love the car in the first place.
The base M2 Competition is going to cost only a little more and the amount of weight is negligible. The base price of an M2 was never an incredible deal because almost everyone until very recently had to pay MSRP. In many cases you could have gotten an M3/M4 for similar money due to the discounts available.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #50
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapparition90 View Post
any m3/4 owner will know that the m2 is going to be absolutely ballistic ingear with the s55s potential. Theres no reason it cant at least have M3 CS level power with a simple software flash if not much has changed internally. Anyway i liked the m2 for what it was not sure it needed bad sounding engine and more power and more weight but lets see, easy to speculate using a keyboard lol.
Agree it doesn't need more power and it certainly doesn't need more weight
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #51
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The base M2 Competition is going to cost only a little more and the amount of weight is negligible. The base price of an M2 was never an incredible deal because almost everyone until very recently had to pay MSRP. In many cases you could have gotten an M3/M4 for similar money due to the discounts available.
Hopefully you're right on both counts, but we haven't seen the US price nor the 'official' weight of the US model. I sure hope the figure that's been tossed around here - +121 lbs - isn't accurate cz, if so, I sure wouldn't consider that to be a negligible amount.
      04-23-2018, 02:35 AM   #52
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
120 lbs is negligible? Right

And let's just wait for that price to be announced
Let's not forget this car is absolutely going to be marked up like crazy. I am already the first person on 2 lists for 2 different dealerships just for the hell of it, and they BOTH told me there is going to be a very generous markup for the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #53
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I've had the pleasure of driving an M4 DCT for about a month, stock. Then full bolt on for about a week before it was handed back to the owner. And what I remember from that experience, is how much the car over-steered and burned rubber, even at stock power levels. Was a total blast to drive around the mountains and around town, with the low end tq, and split second shifts. But I can't fathom that spiky RPM band, in a smaller car, like the M2. I think it's going to be more of a handful, and will likely decrease in performance/mechanical grip, with any added power. I understand they've chastised the power output, and I think it was necessary.

For anyone thinking about heads up racing, in a straight line, there's no doubt the S55 is a monster. But on the track, I think you'd find yourself wanting a nice linear powerband, like what you get from the N55 platform. I've never driven a turbo car that felt like a natural NA powerband, but they accomplished this with the N55, in my opinion.

Either way, both cars are magical in their own ways, and anyone fortunate enough to get in the front line for the M2C shouldn't be worried about anything else buy "their" personal experience with the car. Who gives a F if an N55 could be as fast, it's not the point... If I was in the position to purchase a car like the M2C, I wouldn't think about modifying a damn thing, except tires and brake pads, you shouldn't have to, that's the whole point lol...
      05-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #54
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaing51 View Post
120 lbs is negligible? Right

And let's just wait for that price to be announced
Let's not forget this car is absolutely going to be marked up like crazy. I am already the first person on 2 lists for 2 different dealerships just for the hell of it, and they BOTH told me there is going to be a very generous markup for the car.
Yes approximately 2.8% heavier. Massive difference for a 4 seat street car.

We'll see how long the markup lasts anyway. Most people who wanted an M2 probably already bought one.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #55
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 AW

Yeah it aint too much of a deal this thing.

HEX Stage 2, Fabspeed DP, and Wagner Intercooler, M3 size tires PS4S. 4k for the mods, transforms the car, everything works and it grips like an animal everywhere. 40K miles already.

If youve driven a N55 and a S55 youll know that the N55 really could trick you into thinking its NA. S55 is a monster turbo engine. A stock one is no faster and the SWB of the M2 helps it hook up much better on acceleration.

Before I changed rubber to M3 size, traction control came on at full throttle in corners allllll the time. No longer. I hooks up and keeps accelerating. The diff works so well too.

121 pounds mostly in the front is no bueno. no wonder they needed ball joints (WEIGHT) in the rear.......

Im going to drive this car to 150-200k and then get another N55 and do the same mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #56
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:

We'll see how long the markup lasts anyway. Most people who wanted an M2 probably already bought one.
When the 1M was conceived, the idea was to make a smallish M-car that would bring in a newer, younger, less affluent audience than the rest of the line attracts. With the success of the 1M, it was then decided to extend the effort to more of a production car, which became the M2.

As we can see, BMW can't keep from tripping over its own two feet. The current M2 is already, in my view, too big and too heavy. It's nowhere near as "tossable" as the 1M, nor even a 135i. The M2 is just becoming a slightly smaller version of the M3/4 line.

Following the trend that BMW has been following for decades, everything keeps getting bigger and heavier, they are "SUV'ing" their line, progressively.

Wouldn't it be cool if BMW would go in the opposite direction? How about making a smaller hatchback, limited to maybe 300 HP, that would be small and light enough to do 0-60 MPH in say, 4.5 seconds? RWD is obligatory.

Throw in hydraulic steering, or at least significantly improve the EPS, and offer it with a manual transmission for $45-$50K, enough over the cheaper "Hot Hatches" that they can make a profit, but low priced enough to actually attract a younger and sportier audience? As this cohort of buyers ages, and responsibilities change, many of these people will choose to "graduate" to the rest of the BMW line.

It's not going to happen and that is why my M2 is probably the last BMW I will ever buy.

Last edited by champignon; 05-20-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #57
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
too bad they got rid of mineral gray
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #58
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:

When the 1M was conceived, the idea was to make a smallish M-car that would bring in a newer, younger, less affluent audience than the rest of the line attracts. With the success of the 1M, it was then decided to extend the effort to more of a production car, which became the M2.

As we can see, BMW can't keep from tripping over its own two feet. The current M2 is already, in my view, too big and too heavy. It's nowhere near as "tossable" as the 1M, nor even a 135i. The M2 is just becoming a slightly smaller version of the M3/4 line.

Following the trend that BMW has been following for decades, everything keeps getting bigger and heavier, they are "SUV'ing" their line, progressively.

Wouldn't it be cool if BMW would go in the opposite direction? How about making a smaller hatchback, limited to maybe 300 HP, that would be small and light enough to do 0-60 MPH in say, 4.5 seconds? RWD is obligatory.

Throw in hydraulic steering, or at least significantly improve the EPS, and offer it with a manual transmission for $45-$50K, enough over the cheaper "Hot Hatches" that they can make a profit, but low priced enough to actually attract a younger and sportier audience? As this cohort of buyers ages, and responsibilities change, many of these people will choose to "graduate" to the rest of the BMW line.

It's not going to happen and that is why my M2 is probably the last BMW I will ever buy.
It sounds like you should check out a focus RS. It's a 350hp hatch that's small, tossable, sport focused, relatively economical, and to the point. Golf R and civic type R fit your description as well, except that the Honda is fwd. Of course you'd lose the bmw refinement and badge (if that matters), but these cars meet the description of what you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #59
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
It sounds like you should check out a focus RS. It's a 350hp hatch that's small, tossable, sport focused, relatively economical, and to the point. Golf R and civic type R fit your description as well, except that the Honda is fwd. Of course you'd lose the bmw refinement and badge (if that matters), but these cars meet the description of what you want.
Thanks for your comments.

I own a Mark VII Golf R, and just before that, an STi. The Golf R is less enjoyable to drive than the M2, and the EPS truly sucks. Basically everything else in the Hot Hatch +/- WRX/STi class of car is a boy racer car.

My point is that what BMW sought to build, with the 1M, has now largely been lost, and they are probably in the process of making the M3/M4 even bigger and heavier (with the next iteration) and the M2 is becoming like the current M3, which is in turn like the old M5.

Bottom line is that BMW does not want to build a truly small M-Car, and they especially don't want to export it to the US and Canada.