BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > A few early '18 LCIs delivered with Adaptive LED Headlights at no cost

09-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #221
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimma View Post
I have the 5AP and 563 also, but with 552 also on my week 33 non-exec. Will be picking up Monday so we'll see if it has adaptives. Pretty strange indeed.
As much as I like the new Hexagon shape, I could do without the moving adaptive headlights -- just a more expensive part I'll have to replace in the future, compared to a non-moving lamp. Torn and semi-agonizing over this, but I shouldn't be. Just gotta get financing, ED date and PCD confirmed instead of worrying about my lights! Lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #222
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercase View Post
As much as I like the new Hexagon shape, I could do without the moving adaptive headlights -- just a more expensive part I'll have to replace in the future, compared to a non-moving lamp. Torn and semi-agonizing over this, but I shouldn't be. Just gotta get financing, ED date and PCD confirmed instead of worrying about my lights! Lol.
It sounds like the people getting it are just getting the hexagonal shape and not the adaptive highbeams? So maybe best of both worlds... (EDIT: I think its just the highbeam part missing, so no camera and highbeam on/off, but I guess the bulbs would still move)

I woulnd't sweat it. I could care less if my car has it or not (although its always cool getting something extra for free). I remember when the LCI was first announced it was pretty split on if people liked the hexagons or the old shape.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #223
CLH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT

Ship that has my car on it will be in port in CA tomorrow. Will let you know in a week or so if I got the adaptive son my week 32 non-exec
      09-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #224
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like the people getting it are just getting the hexagonal shape and not the adaptive highbeams? So maybe best of both worlds... (EDIT: I think its just the highbeam part missing, so no camera and highbeam on/off, but I guess the bulbs would still move)

I woulnd't sweat it. I could care less if my car has it or not (although its always cool getting something extra for free). I remember when the LCI was first announced it was pretty split on if people liked the hexagons or the old shape.
Wow, hexagons without any moving parts would be pretty cool. I'll try not to hold my breath with my order, but good luck to yours!!!

[Misread -- I see, it's the high beam that's adaptive, but it still moves.]

Last edited by cornercase; 09-14-2017 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #225
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Don't hold your breath. No one has reported 552 Adaptive LED Headlights that don't move. Mine do.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #226
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
I have updated the original message to reflect the latest information received from BMW. I don't think we'll ever know for sure how this happened, but we've certainly made a couple of pretty good guesses.

My car has the 552 Adaptive LED Headlights, but it does not have 5AC Automatic High Beams. According to all the paperwork on the car, it also has two mystery features: 5AP Decoding for No-Dazzle High Beam Assistant and 8S4 Decoding Variable Light Distribution. The confusion between 5AC and 5AP is why BMW Genius originally thought the car also had Automatic High Beams. Interestingly, the Genius today said he has no record of what either 5AP or 8S4 are, in reference to U.S. M2s. They're on my car's Build Sheet and show up in all the VIN Decoders, but they may be ROW only.

So, does anyone in the world know what these two "features" are? And, now that more M2s are being delivered in the U.S., did anyone else get Adaptive LED Headlights as a no-cost option?

BTW, there are no records accessible to the BMW Geniuses as to why this snafu happened, but there's a similar thing going on with the new 5 Series: Parts for the trunk closer were not available, so a bunch of 5s were built without them because demand for the cars is so high. The people receiving those cars are not happy.
I think the anti dazzle feature refers to the control of glare from the headlights often seen in fog or snow, for instance. I suspect both these features have to do with that.
      09-14-2017, 10:43 PM   #227
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
I think the anti dazzle feature refers to the control of glare from the headlights often seen in fog or snow, for instance. I suspect both these features have to do with that.
Anti Dazzle is not coded into cars in North America by BMW that have the adaptive LED headlights.It can be coded to work.A bunch of people have done it in the F80 forum.

The feature allows the driver to keep the high beams on all the time.When a car approaches,the feature splits the projected light beam,so that the car approaching doesn't get hit by the bright high beams.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:06 PM   #228
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
According to all the paperwork on the car, it also has two mystery features: 5AP Decoding for No-Dazzle High Beam Assistant and 8S4 Decoding Variable Light Distribution.

So, does anyone in the world know what these two "features" are? And, now that more M2s are being delivered in the U.S., did anyone else get Adaptive LED Headlights as a no-cost option?
Edit: Nevermind - deleted my reply. Nantucket's answer above is much more accurate than was mine.

I'm curious though Nantucket - I thought there was physical hardware missing from US spec headlights that was required (in addition to coding)? That was my understanding 4 or 5 years ago - perhaps the hardware is now standardized? (I know - RTF<F80 forum>).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #229
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

How can that work in the M2 if you don't also have the 5AC High Beams that have to be turned on by the second switch on the end of the turn signal stalk? In the U.S., you'd need the Executive Package to get those features.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #230
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How can that work in the M2 if you don't also have the 5AC High Beams that have to be turned on by the second switch on the end of the turn signal stalk? In the U.S., you'd need the Executive Package to get those features.
Yep,if you don't have option 5AC,which is automatic high beams,then the anti dazzle won't work with coding.You need that option for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #231
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Yep,if you don't have option 5AC,which is automatic high beams,then the anti dazzle won't work with coding.You need that option for it to work.
Nantucket, do you know if anyone with an M2 has been able to get this to work? I too had heard that there were some hardware things missing in the Xenons pre-LCI.

I'm also curious if anyone with an LCI with Executive Package has got this to work. Mine is expected in just over a month, and I'd love to get this feature working.

Maybe I should start a thread in the relevant sub-forum...

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #232
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Picking up right now confirmed adaptives and Michelin on my non exec
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #233
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Congratulations, and welcome to the League of Liberated LEDs for LCIs!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #234
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Nantucket, do you know if anyone with an M2 has been able to get this to work? I too had heard that there were some hardware things missing in the Xenons pre-LCI.

I'm also curious if anyone with an LCI with Executive Package has got this to work. Mine is expected in just over a month, and I'd love to get this feature working.

Maybe I should start a thread in the relevant sub-forum...
When I got my 228i I looked into this. Some of the variable light distribution could be accomplished with coding because it's based on vehicle speed. So, in town, your lights are lower and give more of a floodlight effect. At speeds, on the highway, the lights lift up and separate a bit.

The anti-dazzle feature, I understood at the time, required the camera in the mirror which is part of the exec pack on M2s. So for people who have that camera, I think anti-dazzle can be enabled by coding. FWIW, this seems to be a similar concept to automatic high beams, which relies on that camera to know when to dip the beams.
      09-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #235
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
When I got my 228i I looked into this. Some of the variable light distribution could be accomplished with coding because it's based on vehicle speed. So, in town, your lights are lower and give more of a floodlight effect. At speeds, on the highway, the lights lift up and separate a bit.

The anti-dazzle feature, I understood at the time, required the camera in the mirror which is part of the exec pack on M2s. So for people who have that camera, I think anti-dazzle can be enabled by coding. FWIW, this seems to be a similar concept to automatic high beams, which relies on that camera to know when to dip the beams.
What I'd read about the issue related to US Xenon headlights, and this was specific to 3er models I think, is that if you had the camera for auto high beam, you could set the coding the way the European models were, and the headlights would move around cars coming the other way and as you approached. What wouldn't happen however, is the tunnel section that surrounded vehicles, because this required a hardware component that blocked light in a region.

LED units might be more clever, in that it's not a single LED that creates the light shape, rather an array, and some of the LEDs could be switched off or turned down to achieve the same result. This however is a bit of guesswork, and it might not be possible for other reasons.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
hoyasaxa691.00
      09-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #236
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
What I'd read about the issue related to US Xenon headlights, and this was specific to 3er models I think, is that if you had the camera for auto high beam, you could set the coding the way the European models were, and the headlights would move around cars coming the other way and as you approached. What wouldn't happen however, is the tunnel section that surrounded vehicles, because this required a hardware component that blocked light in a region.

LED units might be more clever, in that it's not a single LED that creates the light shape, rather an array, and some of the LEDs could be switched off or turned down to achieve the same result. This however is a bit of guesswork, and it might not be possible for other reasons.
From what I have read on the F80 forum,it isn't worth coding anti dazzle if you have Xenon headlights.It doesn't work the same way as it does with LED headlights.The LED's have the proper light distribution to make the most of this technology.That is why I never looked into coding it for my M2.I would definitely do it if I had the LED headlights.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #237
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Picking up right now confirmed adaptives and Michelin on my non exec
Congrats! How was yours coded and what build Week did you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #238
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Don't hold your breath. No one has reported 552 Adaptive LED Headlights that don't move. Mine do.
Curious, do they physically move inside the housing?

Asking because some "adaptive" LED headlights actually don't, they just light up additional chips on an array and that plus the shape of the reflector causes the beam to "move." Trying to figure out if these new LEDs still physically swivel like the old Xenons do (they had to, since there's only a single point source of light focused with a lens there), or if they are using the multiple-chip setup (which would be more logical since less moving parts = less complex to build).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #239
LeeInCT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 m2, iX D50

hi all, lurker on this thread, now a post
got my order sheet from my CA and it has 552, 5AP, and 8S4 as "N/C" options.
still a status 111
thinking that likely I will get them goodies...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #240
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Curious, do they physically move inside the housing?

Asking because some "adaptive" LED headlights actually don't, they just light up additional chips on an array and that plus the shape of the reflector causes the beam to "move." Trying to figure out if these new LEDs still physically swivel like the old Xenons do (they had to, since there's only a single point source of light focused with a lens there), or if they are using the multiple-chip setup (which would be more logical since less moving parts = less complex to build).
I'll have to look. From the motion of the lights on my garage door, I'd say they're mechanical.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #241
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

New build just put in Adaptive LED headlights N/C. Their must be something that we are missing for them to be listed alone on non exec cars but being listed as part of the exec pkg on the other builds

Think us that paid for the exec pkg for the lights can get a partial refund?
Attached Images

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 09-20-2017 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #242
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Hey - Maybe the 552s are already built into the price increase for '18, and the other guys should be paying even more for the Executive Package.

Come to think of it, we've only had one non-Executive Package car reported (LBB delivered to Chicago) that supposedly didn't have the 552s - but we really don't know for sure because no one saw the window sticker on that car.

Maybe all '18 M2s get the 552s and we just don't know it because so few have been delivered until now. Today two new orders for non-EP cars were reported, and the paperwork showed 552s on both.
Appreciate 0