BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Allocations for July / August /September (U.S.)

06-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Allocations for July / August /September (U.S.)

In various postings recently there have been mentions of allocations for July / August / September that will be given to (US) dealers either today or, more likely, next Friday the 10th. As soon as anyone knows something definite about those allocations, please post that information here for those of us starving to learn if there is any possibility we will get our cars by early fall.

I would contact my dealer about it, but he is no longer responding to my emails and phone calls. I don't really blame him because like many of you I have probably been a bit of a pain asking for information every week. As I keep telling my dealer, waiting is hard enough but not knowing anything is really frustrating.

Until the last few months on this forum, I had never participated in any social media – no facebook, no twitter, nothing. But your postings have kept me sane. The information is useful and the stories entertaining. It has all kept me (and I’m sure others) engaged in a process I might otherwise have given up by now.

That said, I’ve all but decided that if these allocations for July / August / September are announced to dealers and mine still doesn’t have an allocation for my order, I’m going to buy something else. I ordered my M2 with deposit in January; in February I sold my 135is, a car I loved, and I’m not waiting until December for a replacement.
      06-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Wow every week? I've been contacting my dealer once a month and I thought that was too much!

I'm going to wait next Friday to check in.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
That said, I’ve all but decided that if these allocations for July / August / September are announced to dealers and mine still doesn’t have an allocation for my order, I’m going to buy something else.
Just curious what would you go for? M3, M240i, 2017 S3? IMHO, you should just wait a month to see BMW releases their allocation. They are probably playing a game to get more hype.

For me as an alternative I was thinking Corvette Grand Sport, GT350 or Focus RS.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Just curious what would you go for? M3, M240i, 2017 S3? IMHO, you should just wait a month to see BMW releases their allocation. They are probably playing a game to get more hype.

For me as an alternative I was thinking Corvette Grand Sport, GT350 or Focus RS.
Unfortunately they're not playing a game.

They're making as many M2's as the can, the problem is that they can't make very many so supply is going to remain constrained for at least another 10-12 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If there is no allocation for my M2 in this next three-month round of allocations, I will find and buy an e92 M3. There are lots for sale and I figure I can find a nice one for about the same or less than the M2.

If I understand correctly, these allocations that dealers are supposed to be getting in the next week are for the next three months. If that is the case and my dealer still has no allocation for my order, then the earliest they could get one would be October which likely means my car wouldn't get here until December at the earliest. That would be almost a year since I ordered and as much as I really want an M2, I can buy a 2013 M3 tomorrow. My wife keeps telling me I'll regret it. Likely so, but I'm getting really bored driving her 3 series wagon. I'm 61. At my age, another six months waiting for a car is too much.
      06-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If I understand correctly, these allocations that dealers are supposed to be getting in the next week are for the next three months. If that is the case and my dealer still has no allocation for my order, then the earliest they could get one would be October which likely means my car wouldn't get here until December at the earliest.
That is correct. Probably on or around June 10th dealers will get allocations for cars to be built in July/August/September, which would be delivered mid-August through to mid-November.

If you don't get one then, then the next batch would be for October builds, with mid-November as the earliest deliveries.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
That is correct. Probably on or around June 10th dealers will get allocations for cars to be built in July/August/September, which would be delivered mid-August through to mid-November.

If you don't get one then, then the next batch would be for October builds, with mid-November as the earliest deliveries.
I would believe July allocations would be delivered September-october since I have a May allocation and my delivery date is scheduled late july, early august.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #8
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasblack View Post
I would believe July allocations would be delivered September-october since I have a May allocation and my delivery date is scheduled late july, early august.
What is your production week? Your car is already done production correct? All May allocations have as of today.

That ends up being 8-10 weeks for delivery after EOP, which is just nuts! Typically 6-8 unless something funky is going on with delivery to Florida...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Likely so, but I'm getting really bored driving her 3 series wagon. I'm 61. At my age, another six months waiting for a car is too much.
Worst comes to worst, you can always pay markup for one now. If you already have transportation I'd just wait.

I gave away my 1M December allocation and took a spring build TTRS and regretted that since at that time. Get what you want and stick with it.

If you have the funds you can't go wrong with a left over 2016 boxster spyder.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
Typeslice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
If there is no allocation for my M2 in this next three-month round of allocations, I will find and buy an e92 M3. There are lots for sale and I figure I can find a nice one for about the same or less than the M2.

If I understand correctly, these allocations that dealers are supposed to be getting in the next week are for the next three months. If that is the case and my dealer still has no allocation for my order, then the earliest they could get one would be October which likely means my car wouldn't get here until December at the earliest. That would be almost a year since I ordered and as much as I really want an M2, I can buy a 2013 M3 tomorrow. My wife keeps telling me I'll regret it. Likely so, but I'm getting really bored driving her 3 series wagon. I'm 61. At my age, another six months waiting for a car is too much.
Which dealership if you dont mind me asking? I'm #5 at Bridgeport, which is supposedly a fairly high volume dealership; however, the only allocation they've gotten thus far is their HEA, and my understanding is that it did not go to someone in the spots above me (I passed as well).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Which dealership did I order from? New London. I'm really surprised that the only car Bridgeport has received so far was their HEA because, as you wrote, they are a relatively high volume dealership. New London is not. So that is actually even more discouraging for me. I was the second buyer to order (with deposit) at New London and the first one took their HEA. So supposedly their first configurable allocation would go to me. From time to time I've wondered if I would have my car by now had I only ordered from a larger dealer in CT. You just answered that question for me.

I do have other transportation, but again, if three months of allocations are made available next week and my dealer still does't get one? Six more months is a long time to wait. And there's no guarantee that if I wait until October my dealer will get an allocation then. I just want to scream.
      06-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #12
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just want to scream
This my friend, is by far the most accurate description of the M2 buying process
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This my friend, is by far the most accurate description of the M2 buying process
We're closer friends than you think. I lived in PEI for 15 years before moving down here 13 years ago. Assume from your listed location that you are in New Brunswick. Geez, I think it's bad getting M2 allocation down here. Must be hell up there with the smaller market.
      06-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #14
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We're closer friends than you think. I lived in PEI for 15 years before moving down here 13 years ago. Assume from your listed location that you are in New Brunswick. Geez, I think it's bad getting M2 allocation down here. Must be hell up there with the smaller market.
Hey a fellow islander! I lived PEI for 6 years (moved there from Rio, Brazil haha) before moving to NB in 2008.

And yeah it's not great. For calendar year 2016, NB got 2 allocations originally (I'm #1) and now they're up to 4. Halifax had 3 now up to 5 I think.

Funny enough though, the lines aren't that long, as most buyers here favor xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #15
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

They're making as many M2's as the can, the problem is that they can't make very many so supply is going to remain constrained for at least another 10-12 months.
LOL. So do you think all of the factory workers retooling the line are reading the forums and laughing at us...silly impatient M2 owners...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #16
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou
Quote:

LOL. So do you think all of the factory workers retooling the line are reading the forums and laughing at us...silly impatient M2 owners...
No retool stoppage in June actually - it's a little unusual.

And they probably are TBH
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #17
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW M3 | NB Miata

I have pestered my CA about once a month and this forum has been therapeutic for me. Deposit was placed November last year but if I dont get an allocation soon i'll just order a new M3. Payments would be cheaper anyway, I can take ED AND I can invest my cash elsewhere instead of putting towards a down for financing.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #18
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwhocr View Post
I have pestered my CA about once a month and this forum has been therapeutic for me. Deposit was placed November last year but if I dont get an allocation soon i'll just order a new M3. Payments would be cheaper anyway, I can take ED AND I can invest my cash elsewhere instead of putting towards a down for financing.
Exactly what BMW wants. Tell them your getting the new S5 or c63 then they start worrying.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #19
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Exactly what BMW wants. Tell them your getting the new S5 or c63 then they start worrying.
This^. No M2 means a used Cayman S for me.

I am also #1, at a small-ish dealer in Washington state. They've gotten one HEA car, no configurable allocations. On the other hand, the biggest BMW dealer in the state, in Seattle, has gotten a grand total of one such allocation. So at this point at least, the big or small dealer question hasn't mattered much.

I figure that will change over time, but all we #1's need is One... Freaking... Allocation!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #20
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

My dealer is finally getting its HEA vehicle next week. I'm in for a long wait. If I don't get a car by October I would just as soon wait until spring.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #21
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
My dealer is finally getting its HEA vehicle next week. I'm in for a long wait. If I don't get a car by October I would just as soon wait until spring.
Not all dealers received their hea yet? i don't feel BMW has really released many allocations yet. Hopefully soon we will have some news soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #22
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
This^. No M2 means a used Cayman S for me.

I am also #1, at a small-ish dealer in Washington state. They've gotten one HEA car, no configurable allocations. On the other hand, the biggest BMW dealer in the state, in Seattle, has gotten a grand total of one such allocation. So at this point at least, the big or small dealer question hasn't mattered much.

I figure that will change over time, but all we #1's need is One... Freaking... Allocation!!!
Cayman S happened to me.... No regrets...

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0