BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > BMW M2 vs Golf R

03-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #1
carloshombre
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - 6MT

BMW M2 vs Golf R

So I've owned my 2016 Manual M2 for about 3 weeks now and finally feel that I am able to somewhat properly compare it to the 2017 Manual Golf R I previously owned for only 9 months.

SENSATION OF DRIVING
Even though the Golf R was probably faster off the line (definitely faster if it was an auto), the M2 feels like no other car I've ever driven at higher speeds. Acceleration between 2nd and 3rd especially is unbelievable. The sound of the M2 is also incomparable to the R. The Golf did not sound sporty, did not burble, did not pop and did nothing for me. In the Bimmer on the other hand..... . I find myself driving it in 1st or 2nd half the time just to hear the exhaust notes.

HANDLING
The M2 is the best handling cars I've ever driven. The Golf R felt great at times but comparing an AWD car to RWD car should be illegal! What's more fun than going sideways?

THE RIDE
DCC on Golf R was fantastic which is why it takes the edge here. I live in the suburbs and work in the city and driving the M2 in the city can be brutal at times. I'm young (22) and once daily drove an E30 with coilovers for 2 years so the bumpiness doesn't bother me too much, HOWEVER, it would nice to have an option to put the suspension in comfort in bumpy areas around town.

MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS
I never really understood why people were complaining about the sloppiness of the Golf R until I drove the M2. The M2 feels tight and precise and the Golf R...not so much. The clutch is also much easier in the Bimmer in comparison to the VW.

The one complaint I have for the BMW is the auto blip. Why BMW did you have to deprive me of using the heel and toe technique I longed to master! I know auto blip can be turned of by switching traction control off but... really? Why can't there just be a setting or a button that turns auto blip on and off.

EXTERIOR STYLING
Hands down the M2 takes this category. Though the Golf R is styled nicely for what it is, it was way to subtle in my opinion and would have needed heavy exterior modification to make it look as aggressive as I wanted. However, I do agree that there are a lot of people out there wanting it for the subtleness. The "sleeper" look seems to be heavily sought after by R enthusiasts.

The M2 on the other hand looks aggressive right out of the gate, especially when adding a carbon fibre front lip and black kidney grills.

INTERIOR STYLING & HEAD UNIT

If I'm honest, I'm slightly disappointed with the interior of the M2. It feels like any other BMW to me. The Golf R felt refined, luxurious and modern. The BMW again, with the exception of the blue stitching and carbon fibre/alcantara bits, feels like any other BMW. What I liked about the R was that everything was simple. The display was massive, touchscreen and came with Apple Car play right out of the gate. And the BMW.....is a BMW.

Sound systems I would say is a dead tie. The Golf R seemed to have a larger subwoofer but I could care less.

TECH

Surprisingly the Golf R takes this category also. Lane departure (which was almost like Tesla's autonomous driving), front collisions warning, parking sensors and back up camera are all better in the Golf. An issue I had recently with the M2 was that I couldn't figure out a way to permanently turn off the front end collision warning. It once activated the brakes when I was driving on a road with parked cards on the side. Luckily for me there was no one behind me or else I would have had to say bye bye to the ass of my car.

In the end, the BMW M2 takes the win. The feeling the I have when driving the car is comparable to the feeling I have when I go snowboarding or downhill mountain biking. The exhilaration is immense and the only other car that gave me this feeling was my friend's R32 Skyline Gtst......only because he insisted that he stayed sideways the whole time.

Last edited by carloshombre; 11-29-2018 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Not having driven an M2, I am certain you're on the mark. The big deal with the Golf R is is price/performance value, much like a Mustang or Camaro would be compared to a Corvette or something more expensive. The Golf R provides a nice package at $40K. Since the M2 costs at least 25-50% more, I would expect it to performance commensurately better.

A lot of people end up comparing the Golf R to the S3 since they share the same platform and drivetrain. So comparing the S3 against the M2 (since they are priced similarly) makes things much more apparent that the S3 isn't really worth as much as an M2 when solely evaluating performance metrics.
Appreciate 3
///cbrash226.50
norMcal284.50
      03-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I owned a 2016 Golf R for a little over a year before getting my 2017 M2. Totally agree with OP on most points. Golf R was easier to be faster off the line (I had DCT). My FBO M2 feels way faster than my Stage 2 Golf R, especially at higher speeds. GoRf handling was decent but tons of understeer, but made much better with addition of larger rear sway bar. Could be a handful if driving aggressively, braking hard and then trying to corner. The rear end would get very unsettled and things got squirrely.

I actually like the M2 interior unlike a lot of people it seems. The GoRf interior looks nice on the surface but build quality is not there. The leather is like tissue paper, my steering wheel would get nicks if you looked at it funny. I don't have any marks on my M2 steering wheel. Other than the lack of Android Auto, I prefer BMW's iDrive over VW's MIBII.

I had a base GoRf with the non-DCC suspension so I can't comment on that. With the standard suspension the ride in the GoRf was a lot more jarring on the rough roads by my office. The M2 stock suspension is somewhat harsh but it at least dampens things pretty well. My biggest knock against it is that little bumps tend to upset the car so you have to constantly make steering corrections.

DCT in the GoRf is mostly good. Best thing it taught me is that I much prefer a manual in a performance car even if it is slower.

The GoRf is a very capable car and is a great value for the money. I previously owned a GR STi and the GoRf was definitely a much nicer car. I liked the GoRf but I did not love it, I do love my M2 however. Whereas I was itching to sell the GoRf after 9 months I still look out my window and smile at my M2, impatiently awaiting the next time I can jump in the driver's seat.
      03-16-2018, 12:06 AM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Funny thread. I own a 2016 (owned since new, but low mileage) 6MT Golf R DCC, which is my "utility" and more often winter, car, plus just obtained my new 2018 6MT stripped M2 on Tuesday.

I drove my Golf R, with its (square) Michelin Alpin snow tires 155 miles through the mountains on Monday, and just today (Thursday) returned on the same journey in reverse with my new M2 on its staggered set of Conti summer tires. Since it was cold, between about 33 and 43F on the drive back today, the summer tires on the M2 were at a bit of a disadvantage. I also drove both cars a little bit in the "big city" on this trip.

In all honesty, neither of these cars are my all-time favorite vehicle, which would be my 1M, which I don't drive in the winter, at all.

Functionally, the Mark VII Golf R and the M2 are identical in street driving; both are small and very maneuverable, and either can pass most any other car quickly on twisty, 2-lane mountain roads. The M2 is way more visceral and there is a lot more car to driver feedback. The M2 is a bit faster with its added HP, however you don't need it in any practical driving circumstance.

The electric power steering in the M2, while way short of hydraulic steering, is way better in the feedback and resistance departments than the EPS in the Golf R. The shifter and MT in the M2 is leagues better than the sloppy indistinct MT in the Golf R. I am still getting used to the suspension in the M2 and although I believe it is much better, I'm not yet really convinced of that.

As to the interior, neither is stellar however the M2 is more "luxurious," if you care about that. VW has gotten away somewhat from their usual, plasticky, feel, but it still makes you feel like you in a VW product. I like the VW navigation system and audio system better than the M2, at least at this point. I haven't had the time to adjust the audio sound yet so the M2 may be better than it seems at first blush.

RWD is just so much better than AWD, except in foul weather and slippery road surfaces. The RWD in the M2 is engaging, while the AWD (really most of the time FWD) in the Golf is numbing. On the other hand, in a blizzard, I'd way rather be driving the Golf R with any sort of snow tires than the M2, regardless of tires. In challenging driving where traction is not an issue, the M2 feels to be a way more substantial and solid vehicle.

Moving on to the car body itself, the hatchback design of the Golf is WAY more useful than the Coupe design of the M2. The back seat in the golf is usable for more than just children or your pet chimpanzee. Being able to fold the back seat down PLUS having a hatchback allows you to get some serious cargo into the Golf. Even though you can finagle it with the M2 some of the time, it is work, and a dysphoric experience.

Appearance is subjective; the Golf is a bit ugly in a Golf sort of a way, and the M2, to my taste, is a bit overdone in its styling. But then, I'd prefer to fly a little bit more under the radar in the M2, just my taste.

Finally, the Golf R is very subtly badged, plus hardly anyone even knows that they exist. This means you can park it anywhere and most low-lifes will assume that you are poor college student or maybe in nursing school, so they will leave your car alone since there can't possibly be anything of value inside it. Not so much for the M2.
      03-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Funny thread. I own a 2016 (owned since new, but low mileage) 6MT Golf R DCC, which is my "utility" and more often winter, car, plus just obtained my new 2018 6MT stripped M2 on Tuesday.

I drove my Golf R, with its (square) Michelin Alpin snow tires 155 miles through the mountains on Monday, and just today (Thursday) returned on the same journey in reverse with my new M2 on its staggered set of Conti summer tires. Since it was cold, between about 33 and 43F on the drive back today, the summer tires on the M2 were at a bit of a disadvantage. I also drove both cars a little bit in the "big city" on this trip.

In all honesty, neither of these cars are my all-time favorite vehicle, which would be my 1M, which I don't drive in the winter, at all.

Functionally, the Mark VII Golf R and the M2 are identical in street driving; both are small and very maneuverable, and either can pass most any other car quickly on twisty, 2-lane mountain roads. The M2 is way more visceral and there is a lot more car to driver feedback. The M2 is a bit faster with its added HP, however you don't need it in any practical driving circumstance.

The electric power steering in the M2, while way short of hydraulic steering, is way better in the feedback and resistance departments than the EPS in the Golf R. The shifter and MT in the M2 is leagues better than the sloppy indistinct MT in the Golf R. I am still getting used to the suspension in the M2 and although I believe it is much better, I'm not yet really convinced of that.

As to the interior, neither is stellar however the M2 is more "luxurious," if you care about that. VW has gotten away somewhat from their usual, plasticky, feel, but it still makes you feel like you in a VW product. I like the VW navigation system and audio system better than the M2, at least at this point. I haven't had the time to adjust the audio sound yet so the M2 may be better than it seems at first blush.

RWD is just so much better than AWD, except in foul weather and slippery road surfaces. The RWD in the M2 is engaging, while the AWD (really most of the time FWD) in the Golf is numbing. On the other hand, in a blizzard, I'd way rather be driving the Golf R with any sort of snow tires than the M2, regardless of tires. In challenging driving where traction is not an issue, the M2 feels to be a way more substantial and solid vehicle.

Moving on to the car body itself, the hatchback design of the Golf is WAY more useful than the Coupe design of the M2. The back seat in the golf is usable for more than just children or your pet chimpanzee. Being able to fold the back seat down PLUS having a hatchback allows you to get some serious cargo into the Golf. Even though you can finagle it with the M2 some of the time, it is work, and a dysphoric experience.

Appearance is subjective; the Golf is a bit ugly in a Golf sort of a way, and the M2, to my taste, is a bit overdone in its styling. But then, I'd prefer to fly a little bit more under the radar in the M2, just my taste.

Finally, the Golf R is very subtly badged, plus hardly anyone even knows that they exist. This means you can park it anywhere and most low-lifes will assume that you are poor college student or maybe in nursing school, so they will leave your car alone since there can't possibly be anything of value inside it. Not so much for the M2.
How would you compare it to your 1M? I'm curious as to why you would deem it your favorite vehicle, having never driven one or a 1-series.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh_kross View Post
How would you compare it to your 1M? I'm curious as to why you would deem it your favorite vehicle, having never driven one or a 1-series.
I need to drive the M2 more, and get back into my 1M after 4 months on a lift in my garage, to better answer your questions. My gut reaction would be to give you a few reasons why I prefer the 1M to the M2:

(1) M2 is a modern vehicle and has electronics and stuff I'd prefer to have in analog form;

(2) 1M is just a "raw" old school vehicle, and the M2 is polished, maybe too polished for what it is;

(3) M2 is larger and I prefer the footprint of the 1M;

(4) Hydraulic power steering is way more enjoyable to drive with than EPS, even though the EPS on the M2 is acceptable.
      03-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I need to drive the M2 more, and get back into my 1M after 4 months on a lift in my garage, to better answer your questions. My gut reaction would be to give you a few reasons why I prefer the 1M to the M2:

(1) M2 is a modern vehicle and has electronics and stuff I'd prefer to have in analog form;

(2) 1M is just a "raw" old school vehicle, and the M2 is polished, maybe too polished for what it is;

(3) M2 is larger and I prefer the footprint of the 1M;

(4) Hydraulic power steering is way more enjoyable to drive with than EPS, even though the EPS on the M2 is acceptable.
Hmm, I can see where you come from. I didn't really have a 1M as option when I was shopping for a car. I consider the M2 one of the least "electronically challenged", in so far that you can turn off most of the aids I care about. I thought I would miss out on the hydraulic steering, but once I drove the car I didn't really care about that too much (though I would pick no power steering if it was up to me). Overall though, I love the styling and the engine of the M2, nothing else out the comes close to that for me. I would love to drive a 1M one day, just to know what the fuss is all about.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #8
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Don't write off the M2 in inclement weather / snow. I have Xice3 on mine for winter and it was getting through really deep stuff that was causing people with FWD cars (on all-seasons, presumably) to get stuck.

Remember that the GoRf (sorry, former R32 owner lingo for Golf R) has open diffs at both ends. In truly slick / icy conditions, the car is 2WD - one front wheel and one rear wheel. It will apply brakes to try to simulate a proper LSD, but it's still at a disadvantage. The M-diff in the M2 is a clutch-based electronically controlled deal, so you really do have 2 wheels working all the time.

Sure, the ass can slide around a bit if you're not careful, but the traction control is surprisingly good, especially if you actually have control over your right foot / don't drive like J. Clarkson.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:39 PM   #9
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Don't write off the M2 in inclement weather / snow. I have Xice3 on mine for winter and it was getting through really deep stuff that was causing people with FWD cars (on all-seasons, presumably) to get stuck.

Remember that the GoRf (sorry, former R32 owner lingo for Golf R) has open diffs at both ends. In truly slick / icy conditions, the car is 2WD - one front wheel and one rear wheel. It will apply brakes to try to simulate a proper LSD, but it's still at a disadvantage. The M-diff in the M2 is a clutch-based electronically controlled deal, so you really do have 2 wheels working all the time.

Sure, the ass can slide around a bit if you're not careful, but the traction control is surprisingly good, especially if you actually have control over your right foot / don't drive like J. Clarkson.
I've never driven my 3 day old M2 in the snow, but I do plan to get snow tires for it, for next winter, and to drive it in the snow. I drove my (former) 135i coupe in the snow, on Blizzaks, and had no problems with it. The 135i doesn't come with a proper LSD. I do think that AWD is better, in a pinch, than RWD, even with snow tires, obviously depending on how much snow, how cold it is, how much more snow is coming, etc. Plus, driving in snowy weather does expose your car to corrosive road salts.

All of these things added together, I'd rather be in a Golf R with proper snow tires during a big snow event, than in an M2, also with snow tires. Some of it is due to the AWD, and some of it is due to the fact that I don't really care what happens to my Golf R, it's a car I'm going to trade in and replace on a schedule, and not going to be any sort of a longish term keeper. If someone plows into it in a snowstorm, I'll be sad for a few minutes, but I'll get over it pretty quickly.
      03-17-2018, 01:22 AM   #10
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Oh I fully understand where you're coming from. If I had the luxury of owning two cars, a Mk7 (7.5?) GoRf with the new digital dash would be on the top of my list for daily-duty. As good as RWD + snow tires is, AWD + snow tires is still even better... it's just harder to slide the ass out on demand.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 & 19 Sentra

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloshombre View Post
So I've owned my 2016 Manual M2 for about 3 weeks now and finally feel that I am able to somewhat properly compare it to the 2017 Manual Golf R I previously owned for only 9 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
I owned a 2016 Golf R for a little over a year before getting my 2017 M2.
Quote:
Add me to the list of folks who came from the R (owned 14 months) to the M2. Champignon, you are still lucky enough to still own one of the greatest daily drivers IMO. OP, you are pretty spot on all points, congrats on the purchase / move.

Here was my post from another R thread -

I just came from a 2016 Golf R into an 2018 M2, maybe not a fair comparison, since up here in Canada, the R is $42K and the M2 is $65K. But let me give you an idea of my view of the +/- of the R (maybe it'll help you in your decision). My thoughts below are from 18months and 26,000kms of ownership:

(+) practicality - 4 door hatch with seats that fold flat + spacious (VW has been doing this for nearly 40 years) interior, seats 4 super comfortably, and 5 semi-comfortably, I took 3 trips from Toronto to Detroit with my wife and 2 kids (in baby seats), no complaints from anyone
(+) seating position / ergonomics - no crooked seat and all controls are well within reach, and the HMI is super easy to use (also includes carplay and android auto as a no cost option)
(+) awd / stability - albiet a FWD based Haldex AWD, the R has tenacious grip in the dry, and was very solid in the winter months with Dunlop Winter Maxx tires
(+) performance - as I mentioned, the grip, and that EA888 motor, strengthened further than the unit in the GTI (which is already very stout), is an iron lump, gains with just a stage 1 tune are laughable (with APR's aggressive stage 1 = +80wtq / +70whp), DCC (adjustable suspension dampening) with individual controls for steering stiffness, suspension dampening, throttle response, etc.,
(+) build quality - mine was built in Germany, and not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I had no rattles after 18months and 26,000kms of ownership
(+) those little things that were nice surprises - the AC vent in the glove box (made it easy to keep my infant's milk bottle cool), the hatch cover that fits fully under the trunk cover, the rear vented discs, the highly organzied and tight-knit local VW community (reminded me of the Subaru community of the early 2000's era)
(+) audio - Fender audio system, need I say more, one of the best I've heard / owned
(+) value - up in Canada, the R is $42K, mine was even cheaper, since it didn't have the tech package, and was a 6MT, it is an outstanding value for the price IMO; plus, it does not depreciate as fast as a GTI, think almost WRX STI level depreciation (or lack thereof)

(-) clutch - it is weak, and slips in some cases at even stock levels of power
(-) sound - it has a sound emulator under the windshield wipers that produces the RS3/I-5 sound, I fully deactivated mine via coding, and did a resonator delete, which moved the sound to back of the car where it belongs, but the motor itself doesn't have any particularly "engaging" sound to it
(-) powertrain - as mentioned, she had tons of grip, but in the end, it's still very much a FWD car, and difficult to rotate, since only upto 50% of the power can be sent to the rear by the Haldex system
(-) shifter - rubbery, no feel, tons of room for improvement - luckily there is a good set of aftermarket solutions to solve this particular issue
(-) wheels / tires - mine had the Pretoria wheels, but riding midwest roads on 235/35/19s would give me nightmares about bending my wheels, I have see it happen on friend's R's, and with no spare, you are SOL if you pop a tire beyond FixAFlat repair

Looks - well, I wont touch this one, some like the understated looks, some don't. This is highly subjective.

S
Appreciate 1
Perp73.50
      03-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It looks like the 2018s are finally showing up on dealer lots in the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #13
carloshombre
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
It looks like the 2018s are finally showing up on dealer lots in the US.
Wow thats crazy. The mk7.5 Golf Rs have been in the Canadian lots since December I believe.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 06:51 AM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So and as they are showing up some dealers are marking up up to $10k....why wouldn’t you just get an S3 at that price then?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 06:24 PM   #15
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

I'm starting to give serious consideration to unloading my low mileage '16 Golf R, either at the end of the summer, after hiking season, or possibly early next spring after the next winter, if I still have it then.

It's a huge bang for the buck, compromise car, but the whole seems less than the sum of the parts. I'm not a fan of EPS, but at least the EPS in the M2 is decent, and in the Golf R it is pathetic. The Golf R is fast, but it gives no sense of excitement or fun of driving, rather it has this strongly "clinical" feel to it. The M2 has pretty good cargo hauling capacity for its size, and I'm not sure that the Golf adds that much, although the hatchback feature is definitely a plus. It is so infrequent that I have more than one other person in the car, that having the rear doors seems like it would be more useful than it ends up being.

On balance though, my sense is that that since I do plan to drive the M2 in all conditions, that the Golf R is just going to sit there, mostly unused. And in that case it is way cheaper and way less hassle to just get rid of it, and if I need the utility it has from time to time, just rent something.
      04-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #16
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
I'm starting to give serious consideration to unloading my low mileage '16 Golf R, either at the end of the summer, after hiking season, or possibly early next spring after the next winter, if I still have it then.

It's a huge bang for the buck, compromise car, but the whole seems less than the sum of the parts. I'm not a fan of EPS, but at least the EPS in the M2 is decent, and in the Golf R it is pathetic. The Golf R is fast, but it gives no sense of excitement or fun of driving, rather it has this strongly "clinical" feel to it. The M2 has pretty good cargo hauling capacity for its size, and I'm not sure that the Golf adds that much, although the hatchback feature is definitely a plus. It is so infrequent that I have more than one other person in the car, that having the rear doors seems like it would be more useful than it ends up being.

On balance though, my sense is that that since I do plan to drive the M2 in all conditions, that the Golf R is just going to sit there, mostly unused. And in that case it is way cheaper and way less hassle to just get rid of it, and if I need the utility it has from time to time, just rent something.
+1 on the numbness of Golfs steering. When I got from My GTI (which I thought was decent) to an M2 to test drive it, I was like: "Wow I can feel where the wheels are and what's the grip level in the front, amazing!".
I also agree that it's a compromise car, yet with very well honed compromises I have to say. I'm using it's world renowned usability, leaving it as down-payment for the M2 I'm getting in June
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #17
ah3nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340 M-sport xdrive

Actually this will be my decision next April when my lease on 340 is up. Either a 2018-19 golf r or m2. Living in nyc, m2 might kill me with these roads.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #18
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 | LBB | MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah3nyc View Post
Actually this will be my decision next April when my lease on 340 is up. Either a 2018-19 golf r or m2. Living in nyc, m2 might kill me with these roads.
Can't be worse than the roads in Chicagoland
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #19
ah3nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340 M-sport xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder99 View Post
Quote:
Can't be worse than the roads in Chicagoland
https://nypost.com/2018/02/02/pranks...-nyc-potholes/
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #20
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 | LBB | MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
http://www.thorntonpowell.com/blog/c...e_damages.aspx

Stay safe, seems you face the same challenges!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #21
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
+1 on the numbness of Golfs steering. When I got from My GTI (which I thought was decent) to an M2 to test drive it, I was like: "Wow I can feel where the wheels are and what's the grip level in the front, amazing!".
I also agree that it's a compromise car, yet with very well honed compromises I have to say. I'm using it's world renowned usability, leaving it as down-payment for the M2 I'm getting in June
I too had a Mk7 golf GTI for about 2 years. I had the DSG first for about 3 months and absolutely hated its behaviour. Traded that in for same car but with 6MT. You simply cannot compare the DCT in the M2 to the DSG box in the Golf. Night and day difference. I liked the DCT so much, that's the one I bought.
      05-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #22
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Have you guys seen the colour gamut on offer? It's pretty incredible.
Attached Images