BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > A few early '18 LCIs delivered with Adaptive LED Headlights at no cost

08-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #111
MPOWERE9
POWERFUL1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 AW 6M MR MStripe

Garage List
1973 Bmw/3.0CSi  [0.00]
Adaptive exec 2018

Here is a shot of my headlights. Adaptive, Exec, 2018
Attached Images

Last edited by MPOWERE9; 08-13-2017 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: cant attach file
Appreciate 3
///Cardia299.50
termigni1080.00
F1346.50
      08-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #112
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Very nice. What tires came with your M@.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #113
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18MY M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
On the other hand, if you don't care about anything in that option package, then it wouldn't really matter if the base price of the car was twice as much. In fact, I don't see how the base price of the car has anything to do with it.
Should have been more specific. Seems like some people are hoping they get the adaptives without the exec package. If they really wanted them then they should have spent the relatively small increase in the overall price of roughly 3%. If you're buying a $53k car that should be pocket change. If it's not then you can't afford the car, IMO.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
On the other hand, if you don't care about anything in that option package, then it wouldn't really matter if the base price of the car was twice as much. In fact, I don't see how the base price of the car has anything to do with it.
Should have been more specific. Seems like some people are hoping they get the adaptives without the exec package. If they really wanted them then they should have spent the relatively small increase in the overall price of roughly 3%. If you're buying a $53k car that should be pocket change. If it's not then you can't afford the car, IMO.
I disagree. people who did not order exec package was because:

1. Did not want lane change assist or parking assist
2. Did not need heated steering wheel
3. Rear view camera became std (only reason I would have gone with the exec.)
4. Did not want radar sensors on the bumper

At least to me. There's is absolutely no reason to go with the exec package and yet it costs extra. Was a no brainer,

Until I learned that there's is a possibility that I might not have the hexagon shaped headlight. Which is NOT what all the pictures of the LCI have suggested. AFTER the car already enters into production.
Appreciate 3
Spa2k1193.00
bobert858.50
F1346.50
      08-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #114
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKepan View Post

At least to me. There's is absolutely no reason to go with the exec package and yet it costs extra. Was a no brainer,

Until I learned that there's is a possibility that I might not have the hexagon shaped headlight. Which is NOT what all the pictures of the LCI have suggested. AFTER the car already enters into production.

EVERYTHING on your list can be turned off or not used. So if you didn't want anything else in the package BUT wanted adaptives it was $1500 option for you. So yes those people that fall into that category, which seems to be quite a few, should have got the exec package because of my 3% statement above. That is literally nothing on a $53k car and that should be your mentality if you're spending that much on a car/toy. If it's not maybe you should rethink the purchase.

I also guess there were a few people like you that assumed they would get the hex lights on the LCI even though there was zero proof of that happening, just speculation. That's one of the reasons I added the package, I did not want to make that gamble for a measly $1500, so I added it and got other things I probably won't need or use but are nice to have.

Last edited by importriders; 08-13-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      08-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #115
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Or maybe there's nothing of interest to me in the Executive Package, so I didn't waste my money on it (or add more complexity to the car.) I don't understand why it's anyone's business but mine how my car is equipped.
Appreciate 2
F1346.50
      08-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #116
CLH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT

When I still thought that I would end up with a MY17 I was planning to add the Exec Package because I wanted the backup camera. Now that the backup camera is standard, there is noting in the EP that I need or want, so I left it off of my MY18 build.

My car's equipment list on bimmer.work (by VIN) shows 552 present. We'll see what it has when it actually shows up at the dealership for delivery. If it doesn't have adaptives, oh well. If it does, bonus! Doesn't change my world either way.
Spa2k1193.00
bollinm25.00
      08-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #117
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

EVERYTHING on your list can be turned off or not used. So if you didn't want anything else in the package BUT wanted adaptives it was $1500 option for you. So yes those people that fall into that category, which seems to be quite a few, should have got the exec package because of my 3% statement above. That is literally nothing on a $53k car and that should be your mentality if you're spending that much on a car/toy. If it's not maybe you should rethink the purchase.

I also guess there were a few people like you that assumed they would get the hex lights on the LCI even though there was zero proof of that happening, just speculation. That's one of the reasons I added the package, I did not want to make that gamble for a measly $1500, so I added it and got other things I probably won't need or use but are nice to have.
Quote:
Quote:

Oh. So, you already knew there would be both hex and round halo headlight offered for MY18 and it will potentially be based on lottery without exec package, 2 MONTHS AGO?

good for you! You worked for BMW engineering?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #118
soco352
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (On Order)

Quote:
Oh. So, you already knew there would be both hex and round halo headlight offered for MY18 and it will potentially be based on lottery without exec package, 2 MONTHS AGO?

This was pretty common knowledge on these forums for the MY18s. Two different sets of lights, circular halos for non exec and hex halos for exec. I mentioned this in an earlier post that I still think this is simply no more than a 'glitch' in the ordering system. Spa2k is correct, it would have been too late in the production process to have simply made an error at the factory this way. It was more than likely built that way from the beginning but probably due to some kind of error in the ordering system. The same thing happened to a few early LCI M3s that got LED adaptive without the lighting package.

My GUESS is that BMW will correct the ordering system and you'll see the round halos come with the non exec equipped cars in the future. Simply if you WANT the hex halos I wouldn't risk not checking the box especially since the cost isn't relatively high compared to the total cost of the car.
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #119
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soco352 View Post
Quote:

This was pretty common knowledge on these forums for the MY18s. Two different sets of lights, circular halos for non exec and hex halos for exec. I mentioned this in an earlier post that I still think this is simply no more than a 'glitch' in the ordering system. Spa2k is correct, it would have been too late in the production process to have simply made an error at the factory this way. It was more than likely built that way from the beginning but probably due to some kind of error in the ordering system. The same thing happened to a few early LCI M3s that got LED adaptive without the lighting package.

My GUESS is that BMW will correct the ordering system and you'll see the round halos come with the non exec equipped cars in the future. Simply if you WANT the hex halos I wouldn't risk not checking the box especially since the cost isn't relatively high compared to the total cost of the car.
Quote:
Quote:

Okay. We should put the argument to bed now. No, I was not aware that I would potentially get the round halo when I configured my car at the dealership a month and half ago. And yes, my build sheet DOES have "552 led adaptive headlight" on the top level BOM and the "N/C" at the end of the line.

And I am guessing the adaptive LED is still different than what you would get with the exec package. Which will include "high beam assist". And that is a much more complicated system involving a camera and compatible pcb and computer software and liability that come with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #120
soco352
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (On Order)

Quote:
Okay. We should put the argument to bed now. No, I was not aware that I would potentially get the round halo when I configured my car at the dealership a month and half ago. And yes, my build sheet DOES have "552 led adaptive headlight" on the top level BOM and the "N/C" at the end of the line.
Sweet!! Sounds like you'll get the hex halos then without the exec package.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #121
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
If anyone want to solve the mystery. Then, I would say that the build sheet on that "non-exec pkg my18 recent delivery with round halos" should give some clue. If 552 is not listed as a line item. Then, more than likely an ordering system glitch. The factory followed the build sheet religiously. Which I think is what a modern automotive factory would have done.

Otherwise, if it was on the build sheet but not included in the delivery, then the factory screw up which I think is very unlikely from a manufacturing engineer point of view (which I am one btw). And the aftermarket warranty would be a nightmare. Think about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #122
MPOWERE9
POWERFUL1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 AW 6M MR MStripe

Garage List
1973 Bmw/3.0CSi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Very nice. What tires came with your M@.
The tires are the Michelin Pilot Sport...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #123
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

BMWs official marketing materials showed round headlights with the non-exec package LCI. That was the expectation on bimmerpost and across the internet. If you went into the dealership without doing your research that’s on you.

Any expectation to get hex standard with LCI should have been considered a crapshoot.

Those who lucked out should feel lucky and go play the lottery. Those who didn’t luck out should have gotten the exec package and have no reason to complain.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #124
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
BMWs official marketing materials showed round headlights with the non-exec package LCI. That was the expectation on bimmerpost and across the internet. If you went into the dealership without doing your research that’s on you.

Any expectation to get hex standard with LCI should have been considered a crapshoot.

Those who lucked out should feel lucky and go play the lottery. Those who didn’t luck out should have gotten the exec package and have no reason to complain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post

Not true. Quite the opposite of what you said. Please search thread posted by "Jason". Sorry I am an engineer and I like to argue with people.

I hope you ordered the exec package for other reasons.

I would suggest if anyone that has not place the order do it with the dealer with out the exec package and if "552" is not listed as an option then go with exec package. Speaking of those who would order the exec package for the hex light only.

Unless you have loads of cash to burn obviously.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #125
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Considering that the parts cost to retrofit to the hexagonal adaptive lights alone will probably be close to if not more than $1500... if you must have those lights, the safe way to insure that was to just add the Exec package.

Some people are apparently getting them without the package, but none of the marketing materials have ever shown this would be the case. The hex lights have always been listed as part of the Exec package in the US (and I believe in Canada too).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #126
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not true. Quite the opposite of what you said. Please search thread posted by "Jason". Sorry I am an engineer and I like to argue with people.

I would suggest if anyone that has not place the order do it with the dealer with out the exec package and if "552" is not listed as an option then go with exec package. Speaking of those who would order the exec package for the hex light only.

Most people spend more on tires than they do the cost of the exec package.

I wouldn’t call that “boatloads of cash.”

Also...I have a quick joke for you.

how do you know when someone’s an ‘engineer’?

They tell you.
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      08-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #127
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Gotcha - agreed. This is exactly what I've done - rather get them for free of course, esp since some others have, but $1550 isn't exactly going to 'sink the ship'. The mystery is nonetheless intriguing tho.
      08-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #128
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Considering that the parts cost to retrofit to the hexagonal adaptive lights alone will probably be close to if not more than $1500... if you must have those lights, the safe way to insure that was to just add the Exec package.

Some people are apparently getting them without the package, but none of the marketing materials have ever shown this would be the case. The hex lights have always been listed as part of the Exec package in the US (and I believe in Canada too).
According to the guy above your post MrKepan this has never been the case and some guy named “Jason” can prove it.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #129
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

For some reason, all of your replies are quoting twice.
      08-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #130
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Can the radar (rear parking) sensors be "turned off or not used"? Even if so, you'll still see those little buggers on the rear bumper. I just decided I liked the look of the Adaptive LEDs enough to tolerate those slightly annoying-looking sensors on the rear bumper, but that's another minor reason I'd prefer to have my Adaptive LEDS standard, so I could skip the Exec Pkg and not have those visible sensors.
      08-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #131
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Yup everyone knew...well not everyone.

The only reason why people even got the inkling that the hexes might be standard on the LCI is because they started showing up on a few order sheets, mine included.

But yes it was always and apparently still is regular halos for non-execs and adaptives for execs. You got bad info I guess.

Last edited by importriders; 08-13-2017 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #132
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Or maybe there's nothing of interest to me in the Executive Package, so I didn't waste my money on it (or add more complexity to the car.) I don't understand why it's anyone's business but mine how my car is equipped.
Not sure why what I am saying is getting so much confusion. If you don't want ANYTHING in the package then don't get the package. If you wanted the adaptive LEDs you should get the package because it's a VERY tiny amount to pay for them. I'm sure most logical people would agree with this statement. I am sure retrofitting just the headlights will cost more than the exec package.

Last edited by importriders; 08-13-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0