BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Why I will never buy another BMW... (Am I wrong to feel pissed at BMW ?)

05-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #441
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The only thing that's semi reasonable is s55 from the start with an even lower state of tune, then the competition edition can have a higher state of tune and other goodies standard. However they may have felt it would have hit f82 sales too much, or that the price point would have been too high on the initial offering, but they offered a lot standard in the m2 in many countries, they probably could have hit a similar price point.
I'd always thought they were initially aiming for the 2-series equivalent of the 2011 335is (https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...s-coupe-review). That's where a "TO" version of the outgoing motor was to be used for a short period, in a special model.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #442
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Some proper spoilt comments on here. acting like they didn't know a new M2 was coming, okay some of the changes weren't expected but the rumours were on here for ages and if people were so bothered they would have cancelled their orders. i'm not shocked at all, only thing that shocks me is the snobbery of some future M2C owners ( real m engine real m mirrors blah blah blah ) and the ungratefulness of some current M2 and M2 LCI owners ( oh no i won't have the newest thing anymore, that engine has an S instead of an N blah blah blah ).

like 5 year olds in school arguing '' yeah but my dad is better then your dad''. lol

Empthasis on the word '' SOME OWNERS'' just so you don't all take it personally those who are basically saying what i am saying.

Last edited by krizze; 05-15-2018 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 4
doug_9992541.50
qnet681.50
silverado287.50
randyt224.50
      05-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #443
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Wow, 442 responses to this silly post? Cars are improved, updated all the time, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. I don't see how anyone is injured by the M2C coming out. I am happy to have my 2017, the M2C hasn't changed anything for any existing cars. If you want to buy a car that will never change buy a Toyota Corolla.
Appreciate 2
Cavpilot2k1023.00
randyt224.50
      05-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #444
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Wow, 442 responses to this silly post? Cars are improved, updated all the time, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. I don't see how anyone is injured by the M2C coming out. I am happy to have my 2017, the M2C hasn't changed anything for any existing cars. If you want to buy a car that will never change buy a Toyota Corolla.
This.
I can't believe this post is still going.

And yes, OP, you are wrong to be pissed at BMW.

It's like saying it's January and I'm pissed that it's cold out.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #445
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Biscuits View Post
EDIT : So I've read most of the comments on here, and they are all good. I still feel a bit pissed off but i realise now I shouldn't be. Here is what I took from the responses...
1) I probably shouldn't have titled it "Why I will never buy…" and maybe gone with "Am I wrong to feel pissed at BMW..."
2) I'm being a "butthurt" (I've never heard that term until yesterday)
3) I have no reason to feel pissed at BMW, it's just business
4) My post went on a bit too long.

Would I but another BMW? Possibly. I will wait to see the 2nd generation M2

TLDR; BMW M2. Released May 2016, updated July 2017, replaced May 2018. I will never buy another BMW.

I posted this on an UK M2 facebook group but seeing as this is where BMW's marketing team like to spend some of their time...

I've been a BMW fan since I was a kid. I wanted an E30 M3 since they came out. I knew one day I would buy an M car but life and family got in the way. Then when the 1M came out I was in love but wasn't in a position to get one, having a small family and living in central London. So I waited. Then at the end of 2015 I saw some photos of M2 and I knew I would do what I could to one. I waited from 2016 to Feb 2017 as the waiting list was long and I didn't have the money. Then in Feb/Mar 2017 I put down a deposit. By then I knew that the 2 series was getting a mid-lifecycle refresh, so I decided to wait until the LCI came out as it didn't make sense to buy a car just before a refresh.

I picked it up mid September 2017 and honestly, it was a dream come true. Not only was I buying my first new car, it was also the car I had wanted since I was a kid. A small, angry looking 2 door M BMW. I loved it and I still do.

Now, at this point I realise I might have taken what BMW have done more personally than most and a lot of people will say "just enjoy the car and get on with your life" but I feel compelled to write this post.

I can't help but feel BMW and their shitty marketing dept did little to dispel the incorrect information going around on forums or in the car news and also in their dealerships. I can understand why they do it. Why would they tell me, when I'm about to buy one of their cars, that they will be replacing it in nine months with a much better version for similar money. It's in their interest to help spread the marketing line that will make them the most money. F**k what customers think. It's all about the money. I mean, it came out April 2016, had a life-cycle refresh in July 2017 and is now being replaced. Even by BMW standards, that's really bad.

I was as aware as everyone else that a new M2 was on the books but what BMW seems to have done is actively encourage the rumours that the new M2 was going to to be the CS and would be somewhere in the region of £60-70K+. That way potential buyers like myself, who are not in the market to spend that kind of money would go and purchase the current model. Normally when a car comes to the end of it's lifecycle, manufacturers load it with extras to get rid of stock but they buyers would also be aware of a new replacement model coming out. As a buyer you can then make an educated decision to buy the older model with all the bits or wait until the new one comes out. I mean, I feel the people who bought that Black Shadow model. Showcase it at Geneva, replace it at Beijing.

So by now you can tell I am pretty f***ed off that nine months after I got my new M2 LCI, BMW replace it with a new, better M2 that comes a great options list, better engine and face-lifted front. And in the colour I would have preferred. I intentionally waited until the LCI came out, thinking I would get what I thought would be the last version before the 2nd generation. I'm sure to make me and other owners feel better, their marketing department is trying to pass it off as a special edition call the "Competition", when really it's just BMW replacing the M2 with a better version for similar money.

I knew the car would devalue. Possibly not quite as much as it has but that's not an issue. This new M2 will certainly help drive current prices off a cliff but that doesn't bother me either. What bothers me is that I wanted the M2 they are bringing out now and if BMW were honest and upfront when I was buying mine, I would have waited another nine months and bought the latest model...in Sunset Orange. Now I'm 99% sure I will never buy another BMW.

Anyway, that's it. I still love my car. I still feel lucky to own it. I've just had it with BMW.
I feel exactly the opposite way buddy! My M2 LCI arrived beginning of March ! Now after 1 month i saw that the Competition version released , but its not exactly the same thing . Its something bettwen old generation F87 and the next generation . I was waiting for the moment that the M2 LCI , the original M2 bro , will stop its production ! And yes finally i know that no one could now buy a new M2 like mine from now on ! I prefer the look of my M2 especially the old school kidney grills , than the new one piece "kidney" grill ! This is my opinion , marketing wont stop , never . You have the original , the very first M2 ever released with the same body , an engine that is only used in the M2 , and not like the new which is like M3/M4 !! Our engine it was tuned by BMW M especially for the M2 !! Our sound has the character of the original M2 , and yes the price of our car will appreciate in the long term , cause yes , its the first M2 Ever made , even if its the facelift ! Its the VERY FIRST EVER ! Its like you bought an E30 M3 ! Dont be mad , just be happy cause your car is not in production and this make it more special ! I hope you agree ! Just watch the attached photo comparing the two ! Since you have the original M2 , and you have mentioned the E30 M3 , which one of them do you prefer? Which one reminds you the old school?
Attached Images

Al1969530.50
      05-17-2018, 02:51 AM   #446
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
This.

Yeah man, everyone knew BMW was going to put a new engine in the f90 M5 Competition shortly after they release the base version.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:17 AM   #447
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Quote:
This.

Yeah man, everyone knew BMW was going to put a new engine in the f90 M5 Competition shortly after they release the base version.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 06:41 AM   #448
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Quote:
This.

And when they did, did that suddenly make the base model a piece of crap?
(Hint: the answer is no)

And more to the point, in this thread, the OP is still driving an awesome car. It's not crap just because a new model will come out a year later (because the Comp won't hit the street until the end of this year).

It only matters if you're one of those kids who has to have the newest toy on the block and throws his toys away when the neighbor kids aren't all gawking at it being the newest and latest.

Op has a great car. Enjoy it and drive it and enjoy the fact that he probably got discounts and paid $10k less that he would for a Comp.

If you have to have the newest and latest, hold off on buying and wait - it's just around the corner...

My point is this: If you are a car enthusiast who appreciates a given car for the awesome machine it is enough to buy it, that appreciation should not go away when the INEVITABLE next "better" model comes along. It's still the same amazing machine.
It only really matters if your motivations are more about bragging rights and impressing people, and if that's your main motivation, well, then you're never going to be happy with anything because your happiness is only based on the reactions of others.
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      05-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #449
helidoc44
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

Well said.

My new M2 has left the factory and will be collected in 2 weeks, can't wait, and I'm going to enjoy every minute driving it....even at the old age of 53

If you "have" to have the latest M2 Comp, then you'll probably also "have" to spend a fortune on all the carbon panels, brakes, wheels, seats etc....after which you will probably think you should have spent the money buying a different car altogether!

Drive what you have and enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #450
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
$3k for a downpipe?
3k Australian = $2250 USD

Same part in the USA costs $1800 so it's not as bad as it seems initially, but yeah, still ridiculous.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 05-17-2018 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0