BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilover recommendations for M2 Competition

04-13-2022, 07:21 PM   #45
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...etition-m2-cs/
      04-13-2022, 09:09 PM   #46
bogdiniciu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS

Garage List
2020 M2 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I'm in similar spot as the OP but leaning towards the MPC. Since they are basically the same as V3s except from different spring rate. Also I was able to find them cheaper. Are there any other differences that I'm missing?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 03:42 AM   #47
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I also ended up buying the MPC kit. Carbahn, AC Schnitzer and BMW M Performance are all using the KW V3 with different springs. I like the warranty aspect of the BMW MPC, and could buy them with a discount.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 04:01 AM   #48
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

For daily drive V3 > MPS. MP is much stiffer.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 10:28 AM   #49
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadadameans View Post
If you want track orientated coilovers then go for MCS, AST/Moton, Nitron, Penske.
Add JRZ's as well
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 03:54 PM   #50
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4

I went with the KW V3 and after a few hours of twisty roads on a road trip (currently on) I can say with certainty this is a must-do mod for the M2C. Car has completely transformed.
'20 BMW M2 Competition (6spd, Euro-delivered July '19)
Appreciate 3
      04-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #51
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

KW clubsport 3 ways …

My car is a train now .
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 03:24 PM   #52
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadadameans View Post
If you want track orientated coilovers then go for MCS, AST/Moton, Nitron, Penske.
I went with MCS 1WNR, and have been very happy.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 04:18 PM   #53
Rub1con76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F87 M2

I have my M2c for 6 weeks now and the first mod i did was install a set of ohlins .
By far the best thing i ever did to a car.

Mostly daily drive for me
      04-28-2022, 02:26 PM   #54
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Just ordered the Bilsteins B16/PSS 10. Coming at end of May though.

Driving this for ~ 2yrs, I am tired of the jittery, clacky, lack of compression control OEM suspension has. At moderate hwy speeds, any road undulation crashes into the bump stops like a mofo
      04-28-2022, 04:02 PM   #55
BespokeM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post

Driving this for ~ 2yrs, I am tired of the jittery, clacky, lack of compression control OEM suspension has. At moderate hwy speeds, any road Ondulation crashes into the bump sops like a mofo
Looking at these as well. Let's us know your impressions once installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 04:01 AM   #56
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokeM View Post
Quote:

Driving this for ~ 2yrs, I am tired of the jittery, clacky, lack of compression control OEM suspension has. At moderate hwy speeds, any road Ondulation crashes into the bump sops like a mofo
Looking at these as well. Let's us know your impressions once installed.
You bet 'aima gonna' post my impressions. Will be sometime in June though…

Bilsteins reputation + Engineering aus Deutschland - Yep, check
Lifetime warranty- check (not fully sure what that entails…that one will never need to rebuild them, no annual check ups?)
Improved handling, especially spirited driving - check
Lower height (but not bat-crazy, I will use the min drop) - check
Reasonable pricing- check
Improved daily driving comfort ( over bumps, RR tracks) - don't know…yet, but I highly suspect it's going to be significantly smoother/more composed
      05-02-2022, 06:11 AM   #57
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:

Lifetime warranty- check (not fully sure what that entails…that one will never need to rebuild them, no annual check ups?)

Improved daily driving comfort ( over bumps, RR tracks) - don't know…yet, but I highly suspect it's going to be significantly smoother/more composed
Good luck if you ever have a problem with Bilstein.

I had set of their coil overs on my 992 Turbo S. From the get go, they made horrible clunking sounds. I went through extensive testing to isolate the cause, including a removal and reinstallation after inspection of the units. Finally reverting to stock solved the problem. Even then, Bilstein customer service was unprofessional and severely lacking in a knowledge base about their own product. They refused to consider warranty replacement and effectively told me I was wasting my time. At that point, they ghosted me. Last conversation, they blamed the fact that the car was a 2022 and not a 2021. The '22 and '21s are mechanically identical. Ultimately, the vendor who sold them to me (who was equally frustrated) finally just refunded me the money out of his end.

Bilstein customer service is all work from home and they are poorly trained at this point. Their lifetime warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on, IME.

Most people don't have trouble and most people are very happy with their Bilsteins. But COVID etc. has ravaged their supply chain (not a unique problem) and this has destroyed their flexibility in warranty repair and replacement. So they pretty much deny everything, in my experience.

The PSS10, I will say, is a mature product with all the kinks worked out. The EVO coilovers I installed on the TTS were new and clearly need more/better development on that car. PSS10 are very popular in the 993 community (I personally have KWv3s on mine) and there are very few complaints there about them. I'm fairly certain you'll have no issues and will be happy with the results. But if there is a problem - get ready for war.
Appreciate 3
      05-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #58
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Nitron has two setups available in a single adjustment damper. The first is the one that we have custom spec'd - the R1. This is the one that we spent a lot of time testing to get dialed in deliver excellent track performance while still maintaining very friendly street manners. We ran this on our 223 car to the fastest F8x lap time here on the boards at COTA while still being an excellent daily driver. This kit includes everything needed for install - camber plates, endlinks, springs, etc. Excellent track performance & street manners - very hard to beat.

Their other kit is a more street oriented kit. This one is going to be more plush on the street than the oem setup. Still going to perform well but not quite like our R1 will on the track. Height adjustment & better than oem ride quality are the two major benefits here. This kit utilizes the stock top mounts as well.

We are also dialing an R3 setup for those that want to go further down the rabbit hole. Still going to be a street car but now more track oriented.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2431.50
      05-02-2022, 03:27 PM   #59
BespokeM
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
You really cannot go wrong with any of the coils you mentioned. I currently have PSS10s on my M2 and ran KW V3s on my 1M. You might as well throw the BMW Performance coils in the mix too as they are essentially KW V2s.
Any regrets with your PSS10s? Anything I should know before purchasing/installing?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #60
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk-d View Post
Quote:

Good luck if you ever have a problem with Bilstein.

I had set of their coil overs on my 992 Turbo S. From the get go, they made horrible clunking sounds. I went through extensive testing to isolate the cause, including a removal and reinstallation after inspection of the units. Finally reverting to stock solved the problem. Even then, Bilstein customer service was unprofessional and severely lacking in a knowledge base about their own product. They refused to consider warranty replacement and effectively told me I was wasting my time. At that point, they ghosted me. Last conversation, they blamed the fact that the car was a 2022 and not a 2021. The '22 and '21s are mechanically identical. Ultimately, the vendor who sold them to me (who was equally frustrated) finally just refunded me the money out of his end.

Bilstein customer service is all work from home and they are poorly trained at this point. Their lifetime warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on, IME.

Most people don't have trouble and most people are very happy with their Bilsteins. But COVID etc. has ravaged their supply chain (not a unique problem) and this has destroyed their flexibility in warranty repair and replacement. So they pretty much deny everything, in my experience.

The PSS10, I will say, is a mature product with all the kinks worked out. The EVO coilovers I installed on the TTS were new and clearly need more/better development on that car. PSS10 are very popular in the 993 community (I personally have KWv3s on mine) and there are very few complaints there about them. I'm fairly certain you'll have no issues and will be happy with the results. But if there is a problem - get ready for war.
Cheers mate - solid input! There is no perfect product, but as you said, the PSS10 is a proven Coilover set, with some robust history. But I am sorry to hear about your Bilsteins experience w/ the other model…sometimes fighting the system ain't worth the squeeze and stress.

With that said. I am feeling confident that the PSS10 should exceed my expectations. Will definitely provide impressions sometime next month once I get them installed and corner balanced.

PS almost pulled the trigger on the Litchfield Motors BMW M2 BILSTEIN KIT, just didn't want to pay quite a bit more for shipping from UK and potentially import taxes and fees.
      05-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #61
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Quote:
You really cannot go wrong with any of the coils you mentioned. I currently have PSS10s on my M2 and ran KW V3s on my 1M. You might as well throw the BMW Performance coils in the mix too as they are essentially KW V2s.
Any regrets with your PSS10s? Anything I should know before purchasing/installing?
No regrets here, couple thousand miles on them. Car is much more compliant, planted and predictable. I have only changed settings once but may do it some more. For a mainly street car these were perfect for me.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2022, 04:41 PM   #62
BespokeM
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No regrets here, couple thousand miles on them. Car is much more compliant, planted and predictable. I have only changed settings once but may do it some more. For a mainly street car these were perfect for me.
Thanks for the response. How much did you lower? Can it go an inch lower than stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 05:17 AM   #63
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Thanks for the response. How much did you lower? Can it go an inch lower than stock?
Still more to go but I'm happy with this height.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #64
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

My car was delivered today and I had the dealer install the M competition coilovers.

Very impressed so far - the ride is super compliant and very composed. It's a pretty sophisticated setup and I'm happy so far. Haven't had a chance to really push the car yet, but driving around town...thumbs up.

Bonus points - zero clunks.
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
      06-17-2022, 07:36 PM   #65
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Just had the Bilstein B16 installed today. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29023330

Asked for a minimum drop, and the height ended up being F = 595 mm and R = 610 mm (measurements taken from lower part of the rim to the edge of the fender/wheel well). Ride improvement is definitely there, like everyone else who got MPS, KW3 or B16: more planted, stiffer, yet more compliant (dare I say, more comfortable too). So yeah, VERY happy that I did it. But, there is a but…

As posted in the other thread, I ain't happy how low the front ended up being despite asking for a most minimum drop. Ended up w/ the 'tyre-tuck'…which isn't my cuppa.

I retained the stock suspension just in case…
Attached Images

06-17-2022, 08:13 PM   #66
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

No_curebimmer - is that them saying 'ya ya we're the experts' or that really is it, in regards to keeping the front end up?

Like you I'd be annoyed how the front is doing the lowrider thing and it'd be a real pain for some of the city roads/parking lot entrances.

Good to hear the overall compliance is improved though!