BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilover recommendations for M2 Competition

02-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #23
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
That's a hard thing to do, and I'll tell you why.

The stock spring rate is softer than all of those I listed, by quite a bit in fact, but the damping is so terrible that it feels "crashy."

With ANY aftermarket suspension you're going to have more bounce, ie more movement, and that's because all of them have higher spring rates. BUT, they can all feel SOFTER than the OEM suspension because of much better damping.

OEM - less movement (softer spring rate), but much harsher on every road imperfection
AFTERMARKET - more movement (higher spring rate), but much softer on every road imperfection

If you're mostly going to be on the road with the car, MPS no question IMO. If you're going to be road/track 50/50, then KWV3. If you're going to use the car just for the track, Ohlins.

And by movement I mean up and down (bounce), not leaving the road. All the aftermarket suspensions are vastly better at keeping the car on the road.
Thanks, this is extremely helpful!

One last thing, is that I'll definitely be winter driving my car...is there any different in all-weather durability between these (rust etc.)? Sounds like MPS and KWV3 are quite similar, so I'm guessing they'd be the same?

I'm a bit tempted to go with the KW even though I'll be like 80% just driving on the road, but only because it might be worth it for that occasional twisty?
'20 BMW M2 Competition (6spd, Euro-delivered July '19)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #24
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2abbit View Post

One last thing, is that I'll definitely be winter driving my car...is there any different in all-weather durability between these (rust etc.)? Sounds like MPS and KWV3 are quite similar, so I'm guessing they'd be the same?

I'm a bit tempted to go with the KW even though I'll be like 80% just driving on the road, but only because it might be worth it for that occasional twisty?
No difference between the two, and if I'm honest, MPS is the way to go for your needs, unless you just have money burning a hole in your pocket.

I've given you my take, having owned the stock suspension, MPS, and driven the KWV3 and researched the Ohlins, but M Fifty is more of an authority on suspensions, so you might ask him as well.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2022, 12:14 PM   #25
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:

They're both made out of stainless steel, so the occasional use of a brush or pressure washer (depending on how dry they are) will keep the spring platforms moving smoothy.

The only thing to watch is that the lower damping adjuster on the front struts is alloy, so with a little road salt thrown in to the mix will seize due to electrolytic corrosion of the alloy. Plan to either pack the space between the adjuster and the strut body with the kind of white grease used on mountain bikes, or adjust and reset the damping regularly and use plenty of WD40.

HTH
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2022, 12:23 PM   #26
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

KW V3 “For the occasional twisty” is overkill. Second the MPS recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 03:07 PM   #27
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

I would highly recommend the Öhlins given my personal experience of having them on both my original M2 and my M2 competition. Spring rates are just rates and there's more to the package than that.

Why I'd recommend the Öhlins R&T
  • They're single adjustable which makes adjusting them simpler—going from daily to spirited to track takes a towel on the ground and 2 minutes and 0 thought about bump vs rebound damping.
  • I daily drove them in downtown Austin (not the worst streets, but far from the best) and found them compliant when adjusted to the softer side.
  • The spring rates are much higher than stock, but the damping is pretty good and rides better than stock over a variety of road surfaces.
  • The DFV setup helps in ride comfort.
  • Build quality is high.

Why I wouldn't recommend them
  • The name says it all Road and Track. They're great at the occasional track day, but not stiff enough for heavy track use.
  • If you really want to tinker, the single adjustability might not be for you.

The difficulty in these threads is experiences are subjective. Very few people have probably driven/ridden in more than 1 or 2 of these setups. I myself have never ridden in an M2 that's not stock or on the Öhlins R&T setup. I assume if you have a GT4 (which I have been in on track) and you find the M2 suspension lacking, a stiffer spring rate is not something you'll be uncomfortable with. I'm not sure how a US purchase goes, but I'd highly recommend 3DM for an R&T kit.
Appreciate 1
Fabb228.50
      02-14-2022, 03:16 PM   #28
CannibalOx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:

Looks like you're running the same winter setup as me. I have a little bit of rubbing on the stock suspension. I can imagine it would get worse when you change out your suspension. Based on what I could find the MPS seems to be able to stay closer to the stock ride height than KW V3's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
That's a hard thing to do, and I'll tell you why.

The stock spring rate is softer than all of those I listed, by quite a bit in fact, but the damping is so terrible that it feels "crashy."

With ANY aftermarket suspension you're going to have more bounce, ie more movement, and that's because all of them have higher spring rates. BUT, they can all feel SOFTER than the OEM suspension because of much better damping.

OEM - less movement (softer spring rate), but much harsher on every road imperfection
AFTERMARKET - more movement (higher spring rate), but much softer on every road imperfection

If you're mostly going to be on the road with the car, MPS no question IMO. If you're going to be road/track 50/50, then KWV3. If you're going to use the car just for the track, Ohlins.

And by movement I mean up and down (bounce), not leaving the road. All the aftermarket suspensions are vastly better at keeping the car on the road.
If I am understanding you correctly, the MPS would feel smoother/ less jarring on rougher roads? MPS, with more movement, would be more settled and less likely to loose control over undulations? I ask because most of the roads near me, including the fun backroads, are not in the best shape. It would be awesome if the MPS simultaneously made things smoother, more in control, and the have the benefits of a stiffer setup. That almost seems too good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 02:27 AM   #29
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
I would highly recommend the Öhlins given my personal experience of having them on both my original M2 and my M2 competition. Spring rates are just rates and there's more to the package than that.

Why I'd recommend the Öhlins R&T
  • They're single adjustable which makes adjusting them simpler—going from daily to spirited to track takes a towel on the ground and 2 minutes and 0 thought about bump vs rebound damping.
  • I daily drove them in downtown Austin (not the worst streets, but far from the best) and found them compliant when adjusted to the softer side.
  • The spring rates are much higher than stock, but the damping is pretty good and rides better than stock over a variety of road surfaces.
  • The DFV setup helps in ride comfort.
  • Build quality is high.

Why I wouldn't recommend them
  • The name says it all Road and Track. They're great at the occasional track day, but not stiff enough for heavy track use.
  • If you really want to tinker, the single adjustability might not be for you.

The difficulty in these threads is experiences are subjective. Very few people have probably driven/ridden in more than 1 or 2 of these setups. I myself have never ridden in an M2 that's not stock or on the Öhlins R&T setup. I assume if you have a GT4 (which I have been in on track) and you find the M2 suspension lacking, a stiffer spring rate is not something you'll be uncomfortable with. I'm not sure how a US purchase goes, but I'd highly recommend 3DM for an R&T kit.
This. Ohlins are also inverted monotube design, takes heat better and more durable in general. I've heard KW failures but never ohlins.

Also KW is quite soft for track. Ohlins doesn't provide as much height drop but I'm not looking for the perfect stance.

Also you will never figure out how to adjust the 3 way suspension as a normal dude. 1 way adjustability is way enough
      02-15-2022, 03:12 AM   #30
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

If money isn't a big deal, Ohlins or KW V3.

I can't recommend the MPS. I had it and sold it after many problems with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 03:13 AM   #31
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Also you will never figure out how to adjust the 3 way suspension as a normal dude. 1 way adjustability is way enough
It is actually quite easy. Rebound, compression high and low speed. I literally wanted to fix some stuff on mine, changed a couple of things, it's as I want it. Quite simple really, if you know what you want (that is the issue more often than not )
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 06:35 AM   #32
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Quote:
Thanks, that's very helpful! How would you factor in the OEM suspension in the above ranking?
I have the MPS on mine, honestly, they are not too soft on the track for my liking, and not so bad for the streets.

I tried a friend's M2C with B16s (Bilstein) on his car and they were lovely on the road. If your car is mainly driven on the road this is the one I'd recommend.

If mainly track use, I think the others are right with Ohlins. I will definiltey be upgrading my MPS in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 06:46 AM   #33
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcher View Post
If money isn't a big deal, Ohlins or KW V3.

I can't recommend the MPS. I had it and sold it after many problems with it.
What kind of problems did you have with MPS?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 06:51 AM   #34
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
What kind of problems did you have with MPS?
Squealing from the back dampers. Took many visits to BMW and lots of headaches to get it fixed through warranty. At the end I had to change my read dampers 3 times and at the front one valve screw got loose, meaning I also had to replace my both 2 suspensions arms at the front.

After getting it fixed I sold it immediately. The suspension itself isn't bad, but it is harder than stock, meaning for a daily I would not choose it. I've driven a KW V3 - very similiar to MPS - and it was much more comfortable.

Just my 2 cents. And I bought it at 1600 EUR new (!!), I would never ever pay 2.500 EUR+ for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:39 AM   #35
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

For a car that is going to be street focused I really think the Bilstein PSS10/B16 is being overlooked here. Comparable to MPS with rebounding/dampening adjustment and less expensive with lifetime warranty.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      02-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #36
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
For a car that is going to be street focused I really think the Bilstein PSS10/B16 is being overlooked here. Comparable to MPS with rebounding/dampening adjustment and less expensive with lifetime warranty.
Agreed B16 are lovely on the streets. Actually my favourite for road use of the ones I tried.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 09:16 AM   #37
chefczyk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa 4C, Z3MC, S3 Fulvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelczyk7 View Post
Been very happy with the M performance and like the fact they are genuine a Bmw part. Which I like to do where possible
I'm with this guy. BMW "OEM" all the way!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 09:45 AM   #38
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

We have spent a lot of time with the M2C dialing in our Nitron single adjustable kit with the help of Inertia Laboratory. We have come up with a combination of valving and springs that I am very happy with - excellent on the track and still has very good street manners. Have done very well in time trial competition with only the Nitron suspension and Essex/AP brakes against fully prepped track cars - not just in our class but also above it.

Going to be running in the Street class at Super Lap Battle at COTA this weekend. Not going to be competitive against the top "Street" cars (some approaching 1,000hp, lots of weight loss, full aero, etc) - but we should still hold our own pretty well though & have a lot of fun doing it. Adding in a bit of power this time around though too

Bit more on the Nitron's in here: 223 - M2C Street/Track Build
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 09:47 PM   #39
Xspeedracer
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [10.00]
Anyone using these https://www.motioncontrolsuspension.com I've heard good things about them but they are a little pricey
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:41 AM   #40
Yadadameans
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

If you want track orientated coilovers then go for MCS, AST/Moton, Nitron, Penske.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 01:04 PM   #41
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4

I ended up going with KW V3, just getting them on today actually! Thanks for all the feedback ya'll.
'20 BMW M2 Competition (6spd, Euro-delivered July '19)
Appreciate 1
x233284.00
      04-13-2022, 02:03 PM   #42
Syed///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6Mt

Quote:
I ended up going with KW V3, just getting them on today actually! Thanks for all the feedback ya'll.
Same boat, also leaning towards V3s. Please provide update on initial thoughts after install.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #43
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Man, BMW M tax is a thing. Nearly $3K for coilovers is insane. Then again, I suppose I haven't bought coilovers in over a decade so who's to say what the norm is anymore. Is that really the going rate on suspension these days?
      04-13-2022, 05:39 PM   #44
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Man, BMW M tax is a thing. Nearly $3K for coilovers is insane. Then again, I suppose I haven't bought coilovers in over a decade so who's to say what the norm is anymore. Is that really the going rate on suspension these days?
Coming from the VW world, prices appear to be similar for brake and suspension kits.
Appreciate 0