BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilover recommendations for M2 Competition

02-12-2022, 02:34 PM   #1
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4

Post Coilover recommendations for M2 Competition

Hey everyone,

I've definitely read around/searched about this, watched several YouTube videos, but still can't really pinpoint any decisions.

I have a 2020 M2 Competition (6-speed) and am thinking about putting coilovers on in the spring. The only mods I've done so far are M Perf cosmetic parts and an Akra slip-on exhaust.

I don't drive my car every day, but it's kinda my "daily" as I also own a GT4. 80% of the time if I'm going to the track it'll be in the Cayman, but the odd time I like taking the M2C, or if I'm on a trip and that's the car I have, I'll go in that (e.g. I road tripped out to BC and went to Vancouver Island Motorsports Park, so I was in the M2).

I mostly use this car for things like driving to visit family, cottages, cross-country road trips and the occasional track day as I mentioned.

The main reason I'd like coilovers is because the M2C stock suspension doesn't feel that sophisticated (especially compared to my GT4), and can be a little bouncy. I'd also like to lower the car a bit (just for looks), but am not looking to build this thing into a track warrior (otherwise I'd probably be looking at something insane like the Schirmer kit).

I'm leaning towards KW V3, just based on the fact that so many people seem to get this suspension for a variety of vehicles, but I've personally never owned a car with them. The last time I swapped suspension on one of my cars was over 10 years ago on my Nissan S14, so I don't even really remember what the difference feels like.

Should I go with the KW V3? Any suggestions? Some people seem to also mention Bilstein or Ohlins, but I have no idea what the differences would really be or what to go with.

Lastly, here's a pic, to make this not look entirely like an essay.

'20 BMW M2 Competition (6spd, Euro-delivered July '19)
Appreciate 7
      02-12-2022, 03:32 PM   #2
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition DCT

Garage List
I have KW V3 on my M2C. Loving the ride quality/handling so far. It reduces some of that bounciness of the stock suspension.

IG: @porky_m2c
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
pt8o
Rep
Drives: M2C

I can also second the KW V3, I've heard Ohlin's is superb for road/track use, but if track use if not your priority, perhaps the KW will be better value for you.

I personally find the KW to be more compliant than stock suspension with small undulations in the road and extremely planted around corners. I also get better power delivery and less wheel spin with coils too
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

No personal experience yet because I am also wanting to install coilovers later this year. I think I will be going dor Ohlind road and track as I plan to track the car a few times a year
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 05:46 PM   #5
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Also doing my research and would suggest these two things that are high on my list of considerations:

1. Competent local shop with experience on the specific brand, and willing to support any need to fine tune after the sale, and
2. Shape of springs and how they may impact wheel/tire fitment. See https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...rclearance.jpg
Appreciate 1
blkonblk195.00
      02-12-2022, 06:24 PM   #6
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Sachs coilover for sale in the members classified section are good and it's a good deal

Bilstein pss10 are good too ( best price i found was tire rack at just uner 2000$)
Same setup for f80 m3, f82 m4 and f87 m2 and m2c

Both will be perfect for your goals

I personally have mcs 1wnr and i absolutely love them. But since you already have a gt4. The mcs are a bit overkill and expensive for nothing

I would personally avoid the ohlins, i read a lot and the spring rate are very high, there is always something wrong with ohlins on the f80/f82/ f87 review
Nobody seems to be really happy with them

I initially wanted ohlins but quickly change my mind with all the reviews that i've read
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 08:07 PM   #7
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
What about the coils Chris Harris designed? Anyone have any experience with them?

Also, which coils would be the best for a comfort set up?

I'm currently on the M performance coils. I wouldn't mind a set that's more comfortable for daily driving
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 08:14 PM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I'd recommend the M Performance Suspension because it's less expensive than the KWV3, and nearly the same thing. What you're going to get with the KWV3 is the ability to make the car lower, and a bit higher spring rate.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2022, 08:14 PM   #9
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

My 2 dream cars, i'm jealous.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 10:19 PM   #10
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

Been very happy with the M performance and like the fact they are genuine a Bmw part. Which I like to do where possible
Appreciate 1
Brandt51887.50
      02-12-2022, 11:50 PM   #11
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Following
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 05:14 AM   #12
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

You really cannot go wrong with any of the coils you mentioned. I currently have PSS10s on my M2 and ran KW V3s on my 1M. You might as well throw the BMW Performance coils in the mix too as they are essentially KW V2s.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 05:15 AM   #13
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post
Sachs coilover for sale in the members classified section are good and it's a good deal

Bilstein pss10 are good too ( best price i found was tire rack at just uner 2000$)

I personally have mcs 1wnr and i absolutely love them. But since you already have a gt4. The mcs are a bit overkill and expensive for nothing

I would personally avoid the ohlins, i read a lot and the spring rate are very high, there is always something wrong with ohlins on the f80/f82/ f87 review

I initially wanted ohlins but quickly change my mind with all the reviews that i've read
Interesting, What bad reviews have you read? I feel like everything I have read was positive and the Ohlins were the best setup if you want to also track.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 10:57 AM   #14
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

TC Kline
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #15
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks everyone! I'm now regretting now going for a ride in a bunch of M2s at the track last year as there was a whole squad and I think everyone had a different brand...oh well, not sure I could have deciphered anything from the passenger seat anyways.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 12:10 PM   #16
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
Quote:

Interesting, What bad reviews have you read? I feel like everything I have read was positive and the Ohlins were the best setup if you want to also track.
Spring rates are high like very very high
Some people change the spring to lower spring rates and then, revalving the shock to match the lower spring rate become an option to do since the shocks are not initially designed to run so much lower spring rate....

Read and make your own conclusions, to me it was not an option. Ohlins are not cheap, doesn't come with camber plates. I didn't want install and not being sure I'll be happy.

For just under 3000$, tc kline a very good setup too, very complete with camber plates and you'll have linear spring.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #17
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2abbit View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm now regretting now going for a ride in a bunch of M2s at the track last year as there was a whole squad and I think everyone had a different brand...oh well, not sure I could have deciphered anything from the passenger seat anyways.
Softest to hardest:

- MPS
- KWV3
- Ohlins

This is a big reason why a lot of guys choose the MPS. It's track-worthy, but also a great ride to and from the track. The KWV3 isn't much harder, but it can be felt if you spend some time in both cars back to back (with the same settings).
Appreciate 2
prompt292.00
///M TOWN16539.00
      02-13-2022, 01:24 PM   #18
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Softest to hardest:

- MPS
- KWV3
- Ohlins

This is a big reason why a lot of guys choose the MPS. It's track-worthy, but also a great ride to and from the track. The KWV3 isn't much harder, but it can be felt if you spend some time in both cars back to back (with the same settings).
Thanks, that's very helpful! How would you factor in the OEM suspension in the above ranking?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 01:39 PM   #19
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that's very helpful! How would you factor in the OEM suspension in the above ranking?
That's a hard thing to do, and I'll tell you why.

The stock spring rate is softer than all of those I listed, by quite a bit in fact, but the damping is so terrible that it feels "crashy."

With ANY aftermarket suspension you're going to have more bounce, ie more movement, and that's because all of them have higher spring rates. BUT, they can all feel SOFTER than the OEM suspension because of much better damping.

OEM - less movement (softer spring rate), but much harsher on every road imperfection
AFTERMARKET - more movement (higher spring rate), but much softer on every road imperfection

If you're mostly going to be on the road with the car, MPS no question IMO. If you're going to be road/track 50/50, then KWV3. If you're going to use the car just for the track, Ohlins.

And by movement I mean up and down (bounce), not leaving the road. All the aftermarket suspensions are vastly better at keeping the car on the road.
Appreciate 8
munja57.50
chris7197334.00
drp087233.00
x233284.00
Swish77380.00
      02-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #20
munja
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:
That's a hard thing to do, and I'll tell you why.

The stock spring rate is softer than all of those I listed, by quite a bit in fact, but the damping is so terrible that it feels "crashy."

With ANY aftermarket suspension you're going to have more bounce, ie more movement, and that's because all of them have higher spring rates. BUT, they can all feel SOFTER than the OEM suspension because of much better damping.

OEM - less movement (softer spring rate), but much harsher on every road imperfection
AFTERMARKET - more movement (higher spring rate), but much softer on every road imperfection

If you're mostly going to be on the road with the car, MPS no question IMO. If you're going to be road/track 50/50, then KWV3. If you're going to use the car just for the track, Ohlins.

And by movement I mean up and down (bounce), not leaving the road. All the aftermarket suspensions are vastly better at keeping the car on the road.
This is super helpful, thank you!

are there any disadvantages to aftermarket suspension, like maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #21
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by munja View Post
This is super helpful, thank you!

are there any disadvantages to aftermarket suspension, like maintenance?
You'll have the odd leaking strut, which you'll here about here and there, but buy and large you won't have any issues, especially if you're not pulling 80+% track duty.
Appreciate 1
munja57.50
      02-13-2022, 05:19 PM   #22
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Spring rates are high like very very high
Some people change the spring to lower spring rates and then, revalving the shock to match the lower spring rate become an option to do since the shocks are not initially designed to run so much lower spring rate....

Read and make your own conclusions, to me it was not an option. Ohlins are not cheap, doesn't come with camber plates. I didn't want install and not being sure I'll be happy.

For just under 3000$, tc kline a very good setup too, very complete with camber plates and you'll have linear spring.
yeah I did see a lot of people going with a different spring rate as oppose to what ohlin recommends.

I will look at tv kline (I see them for about $3200 with the camber plates so still about $800 less than Ohlins + camber plates)
Appreciate 0