BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Litchfield Bilstein Coilover review/general thread

04-05-2022, 12:51 AM   #67
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJE Tyre Man View Post
Has anyone experienced knocking from all 4 corners when going over sunken drains or speed bumps with the Litchfield Nitron suspension kit? I have Nitron fitted to a 2020 M2 Comp which has a unpleasant knock when fully compressed or extended on any of the 4 corners. Litchfield are super helpful and will sort, however any feedback from previous Nitron installation's on M2 Comp would help

I had esactly this with Nitron that was fitted as standard on a mini Challenge car (remember the 53 cars they did, limited edition with different wheels and Cup2's ?)

After 12,000 road miles the entire Nitron suspension was junk, totally destroyed. All top mounts shot, all shocks scrap. Sounds like the start with top mounts. I ended up finally getting this covered under warranty BUT the manual says "to keep you suspension is peak condition we recommend servicing every 12,000 miles.

A service is not a service its a rebuild.

I'm not saying that's what's happened but I am saying I would not have a road car and put Nitron suspension on after my experience. I have Litchfields older AST kit and love it. I would like to fit roll bars at some point and yes that's MY ONLY experience but might help ?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 02:42 AM   #68
Kattanah
Petrol Head
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Current: F87 M2C, Jeep Wrangle

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnie37 View Post
My M2C also has the Litchfield Bilstein setup and its night and day better when compared to the stock setup. I have left mine as per Litchfields settings as not noticing any downsides to what they have setup. Not a cheap upgrade at just shy of £3k fitted and aligned, but worth the outlay in my view.
Now with pictures
I found a great deal on a standard B16 for my M2C. Have you had the chance to try both (Litchfield versions vs standard)?

"not too little, not too much"
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 04:43 PM   #69
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

I too am looking at this… I can get the standard B16 for £1700. Litchfield want £2400 for theirs! Surely it can’t be that different/better? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 01:29 AM   #70
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Hard to know. My set seems to have settled in really well, don't know if I'm tripping balls but has aged like fine wine.

Main thing Litchfield did is a softer than stock spring rate. So if the standard B16 kit has that then would probably get you 85-90% of the way there.

Edit the damper I think is tuned to their liking also. So the above might be bollocks!

Last edited by 3t3p; 05-30-2023 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:35 AM   #71
ChickenWarrior
Rep

Hello all

I have similar niggles with the suspension in my standard OG, and it is nigh-on undriveable on 50% of my commute, meaning I am really not enjoying the car.

Some of the roads have mismatched tarmac and there is this constant bouncing, jiggling and the harsh compressions etc are doing my back in as well, meaning I am constantly thinking about the car all day and how it is annoying to drive. I am seriously ocnsidering the litchfield setup, but at £2.9k I don't really want to get it done on a whim.

99% of my driving is daily driving, so on these mismatched tarmac roads am I likely to notice a difference?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 05:11 AM   #72
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Some benefit to things that would cause a thud or crash into the chassis yeh. It's slightly plusher down the road but nothing earth shattering. So if there's not lots of things like that on the road it may be a big ask of the 2.9k.
The car is more settled at all speeds esp when on it.
Bit hard to remember as I've had the setup nearly two years now. I like it more than I initially did.

You'll have more NVH coming into the car as stock uses some kind of part that reduces this so bear that in mind.

Try Ps4S 255/275 33-34 PSI?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 03:39 PM   #73
ChickenWarrior
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Some benefit to things that would cause a thud or crash into the chassis yeh. It's slightly plusher down the road but nothing earth shattering. So if there's not lots of things like that on the road it may be a big ask of the 2.9k.
The car is more settled at all speeds esp when on it.
Bit hard to remember as I've had the setup nearly two years now. I like it more than I initially did.

You'll have more NVH coming into the car as stock uses some kind of part that reduces this so bear that in mind.

Try Ps4S 255/275 33-34 PSI?
I'm currently on ps4s at those pressures, not really helped tbh.

I'm primarily concerned with the jittery bouncy nature, that is very annoying along the roads I drive down to work, where the car never really "settles" . The pure harshness is not as much of an issue

Are you running at high stiffness settings on the dampers? Are they easy to change?
I'd probably go quite soft for daily driving
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 08:34 PM   #74
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Have you considered M3/4 brace retrofit. It allows the front shocks to work a lot better. I noticed more chassis ride compliance benefit than direct steering benefits.

7 front and 4 back. Feels about stock. Can just change fronts without lifting car up, have to turn full lock. Rears I think best in a ramp thought I've not tried to adjust with car on ground.

My settings I feel are sweet. 8 at front was too firm and started shocking into the cabin again like stock.

Car Def settled better on the coilovers. Stock I found over 45 mph was ok but under a mixed bag !
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 02:44 AM   #75
ChickenWarrior
Rep

Quote:
Have you considered M3/4 brace retrofit. It allows the front shocks to work a lot better. I noticed more chassis ride compliance benefit than direct steering benefits.

7 front and 4 back. Feels about stock. Can just change fronts without lifting car up, have to turn full lock. Rears I think best in a ramp thought I've not tried to adjust with car on ground.

My settings I feel are sweet. 8 at front was too firm and started shocking into the cabin again like stock.

Car Def settled better on the coilovers. Stock I found over 45 mph was ok but under a mixed bag !
I haven't tbh, but I'm unsure whether on these couple of roads if I'd notice a big enough difference to make it acceptable, which I am hoping the Litchfield kit would
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 02:53 AM   #76
ChickenWarrior
Rep

Quote:

Have you driven a stock car since you had the coilovers installed? I can barely remember what the car drove like yesterday but you may have a better memory !
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 03:52 AM   #77
richieg888
Rep

3t3p
richie here , newbie to the forum and the Bmw m2. Im very interested with LM Bilstein Coilovers, I have been back reading all the threads about them . I use the M2 daily driver and woulds like a more pliant /comfortable ride.

Did you encounter any problems with in the two years of use? I saw that you had problems with resonance on highway speeds ? Any tips ? Any clunking noises? Im currently choosing between LM x Bilstein B16 or KW V3.

KW is cheaper and locally supported in the Philippines. LM x Bilstein will be imported from the UK.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 12:14 AM   #78
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Resonance at least here in NZ not an issue. As above more NVH than stock for sure.
No crashes into chassis Vs stock.
No issues or sounds from the kit so far. Looks good on my casual inspection when on ramps at mechanics no corrosion etc or misitng dampers mentioned by mechanics.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 12:00 AM   #79
richieg888
Rep

Quote:
Resonance at least here in NZ not an issue. As above more NVH than stock for sure.
No crashes into chassis Vs stock.
No issues or sounds from the kit so far. Looks good on my casual inspection when on ramps at mechanics no corrosion etc or misitng dampers mentioned by mechanics.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 03:53 PM   #80
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Have to say that these days I feel very positive about the kit. I really don't know if shocks settle or wear-in but they feel like they have and suit the car really well.
When you hammer down a B road with lots of undulations it just goes into this AI mode of compliance and confidence, still with tonnes of feedback, again the base car is unchanged and you've got to put in constant tiny corrections.

I'd love to drive a stock car again to compare!
Appreciate 1
Kattanah137.50
      07-14-2023, 04:17 AM   #81
Kattanah
Petrol Head
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Have to say that these days I feel very positive about the kit. I really don't know if shocks settle or wear-in but they feel like they have and suit the car really well.
When you hammer down a B road with lots of undulations it just goes into this AI mode of compliance and confidence, still with tonnes of feedback, again the base car is unchanged and you've got to put in constant tiny corrections.

I'd love to drive a stock car again to compare!
What’s your front and rear setting? And are you/did you experience any rattling or squeaky sound?

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 07:05 AM   #82
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

4 Rear 7 Front.

No rattling or squeaking
Appreciate 1
Kattanah137.50
      08-05-2023, 05:51 AM   #83
richieg888
Rep

Quote:
4 Rear 7 Front.

No rattling or squeaking
3t3p

Im really learning towards purchasing the Bilstein x Lichtfield Coilovers .
Is there a minimum drop in height ? 10mm ?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 07:37 PM   #84
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

They couldn't tell me the minimum drop. I'd estimate it's 15-20mm but don't quote me please.
At the minimum I don't think it looks too low.
Being that bit lower initially made the car feel faster hehe. Certainly a little bit more hunkered.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 05:12 PM   #85
richieg888
Rep

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 10:22 PM   #86
Kattanah
Petrol Head
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richieg888 View Post
3t3p

Im really learning towards purchasing the Bilstein x Lichtfield Coilovers .
Is there a minimum drop in height ? 10mm ?
Thanks in advance
I have set my car less that the minimum drop. No issues at all. Front is sitting at 600mm and rear at 610mm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:29 AM   #87
richieg888
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattanah View Post
I have set my car less that the minimum drop. No issues at all. Front is sitting at 600mm and rear at 610mm
thanks for the update ! You car's stance looks the part .
Appreciate 1
Kattanah137.50