BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Street Pad Recommendation

07-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #67
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

I purchased and have been running Porterfield R4-S's for about 3.5k miles and they clunk like hell too. Didn't for the first 1k but do now, every time, forward, reverse, slow traffic etc..pisses me off big time as they are way way better than oem for pure stopping power and dust but they just sound poo clincking and clunking in the calipers all day long. Think I'm going to swap them back out for oems.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #68
E36toF87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 MG MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
I have just removed the Z26, clunky as hell. The tolerances are off compared to OEM pads.

Do you get and clunk/movement from yours when going from a stop to reverse? The Z26 clunk like crazy.
My Z23 fit well, with maybe a tiny shift in reverse. Doesn't rise to the level of clunk. I've also seen posts of some people requiring 1609B (with modified weights) to fit, but standard 1609 work for me.

My PFC08 track do pads clunk heavily.

Last edited by E36toF87; 07-05-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #69
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

I installed the Z23 pads front and rear the day after I bought the car and theyve been great. Ive even been able to fit my 18"winter wheels over the slightly larger ears no problem.. Would definitely recommend them.

Last edited by boostm3; 07-05-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #70
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Installed the Z26 pads yesterday, install went smoothly. Bedded them in per instructions, so far no noise, clunks, etc. Seem to work well, car stops smoothly. Like others said, doesnt have that initial bite of OEM pads but work good enough for street use. Looking forward to having less dust on the wheels! Thanks to those that recommended them on this thread! And if any issues creep up, I'll come back and provide an update. So far good to go though.
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      06-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #71
mdriverSD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Meh, why worry? I wouldn't track these pads but for typical street driving these are on the spendy side. If you were throwing pads in your Honda Accord would you think twice about an $80 set of pads? I doubt it. Fact of the matter is that most of us put the same amount of stress on our pads as any other driver in any other car because we are all driving on the same city streets and highways. If I ever do a track day i'll swap them out for a track focused set.

The install/uninstall is so freakin' easy I cant see living with a noisy, dusty, expensive set of track pads 99% of the time so that I can use them 1% of the time on the track.

How are the Powerstop's holding up now? did u get the Z23 or Z26's ?? I am having a tough time deciding which are best for the M2. No track use but I do some canyon carving drives with friends. Also looking for way less dust that the stock M2 pads create on a daily basis!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 12:37 AM   #72
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriverSD View Post
Quote:
Meh, why worry? I wouldn't track these pads but for typical street driving these are on the spendy side. If you were throwing pads in your Honda Accord would you think twice about an $80 set of pads? I doubt it. Fact of the matter is that most of us put the same amount of stress on our pads as any other driver in any other car because we are all driving on the same city streets and highways. If I ever do a track day i'll swap them out for a track focused set.

The install/uninstall is so freakin' easy I cant see living with a noisy, dusty, expensive set of track pads 99% of the time so that I can use them 1% of the time on the track.

How are the Powerstop's holding up now? did u get the Z23 or Z26's ?? I am having a tough time deciding which are best for the M2. No track use but I do some canyon carving drives with friends. Also looking for way less dust that the stock M2 pads create on a daily basis!!!
I think I got the z23. I love them. They are holding up just fine. Very little dust. No squealing except for maybe one out of every 10 time I back out of the garage I'll get a small squeal as I brake at the end of my driveway. After that nothing and never when going forward. Only in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #73
mdriverSD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think I got the z23. I love them. They are holding up just fine. Very little dust. No squealing except for maybe one out of every 10 time I back out of the garage I'll get a small squeal as I brake at the end of my driveway. After that nothing and never when going forward. Only in reverse.

hmmm ok just curious as to the comparison for the Z23 & Z26 and which ones are the best replacement for the stock wicked overly dusty M2 pads lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 06:50 PM   #74
DCrew
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
hmmm ok just curious as to the comparison for the Z23 & Z26 and which ones are the best replacement for the stock wicked overly dusty M2 pads lol
I can't tell you about the Z26, but for my normal street use the Z23 is excellent. I haven't noticed any less bite and they feel the same for all I can tell. I've experienced some squawk when backing out, and a clunking on first application, but once I'm moving forward they're great. Dust: about 20% of the nasty stock pads, if that. So happy I made the change.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #75
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thats exactly my experience! When cold or wet, backing out of garage, a little squeal.. Thats all. Then its done.. Stop great, dust little, overall, really like the pads.
      07-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #76
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I want to get a set of Z23's but I definitely don't want the clunk. Is there not a way to ensure this doesn't happen? From my understanding it's coming from the pads clicking against the pins/calipers?
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #77
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

It's been roughly 1 year since I've started using the Z23's (got them for $80-90 on amazon), and they've been awesome on the street. No noise/clunk, decent stopping power and very little dust. I do swap out to RS29's for track though. The Z23's have plenty of life left.

One thing I did notice is that it made the brake pedal feel a bit spongey - I do my brake fluids myself so I thought I screwed up and got air in my lines, but when I put my track pads on the pedal is solid. Perhaps that's just the difference in the compound. Overall, I'm not too worried because I'm still able to engage ABS just fine with the street pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #78
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiStR StEvO View Post
I want to get a set of Z23's but I definitely don't want the clunk. Is there not a way to ensure this doesn't happen? From my understanding it's coming from the pads clicking against the pins/calipers?
Clunk? What clunk? I dont hear no steenkin' clunk. Seriously, only noise is light squeel sometimes on first backup stop of the day out of the garage if its been cold or wet.. Nothing after that. I find they are great on the first stop or the last; not spongy at all (in reference to the post just before this one)
      07-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #79
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
It's been roughly 1 year since I've started using the Z23's (got them for $80-90 on amazon), and they've been awesome on the street. No noise/clunk, decent stopping power and very little dust. I do swap out to RS29's for track though. The Z23's have plenty of life left.

One thing I did notice is that it made the brake pedal feel a bit spongey - I do my brake fluids myself so I thought I screwed up and got air in my lines, but when I put my track pads on the pedal is solid. Perhaps that's just the difference in the compound. Overall, I'm not too worried because I'm still able to engage ABS just fine with the street pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Quote:
Clunk? What clunk? I dont hear no steenkin' clunk. Seriously, only noise is light squeel sometimes on first backup stop of the day out of the garage if its been cold or wet.. Nothing after that. I find they are great on the first stop or the last; not spongy at all (in reference to the post just before this one)
I just ended up ordering a set of the Z26's from RockAuto. My fingers crossed I don't get the clunk. I definitely am looking forward to less dust though
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #80
mdriverSD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I just ended up ordering a set of the Z26's from RockAuto. My fingers crossed I don't get the clunk. I definitely am looking forward to less dust though
I'm still undecided on the Z23 or Z26's will be good to hear your initial reviews of these pads for the M2. The stock brake dust is truly horrific!!! But will the Z26's be too harsh on the rotors??

Last edited by mdriverSD; 07-13-2019 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #81
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Eh, the Powerstops don't seem like really high quality pads. I'm sure they work fine, but I probably wouldn't run them on an M car. There are so many options that also produce less dust than OEM, but know that there are always trade-offs.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:05 AM   #82
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Eh, the Powerstops don't seem like really high quality pads. I'm sure they work fine, but I probably wouldn't run them on an M car. There are so many options that also produce less dust than OEM, but know that there are always trade-offs.
Lol. And you say this because? These Z23s are carbon ceramic pads that made me forget all about the stock ones, except for the constant reminder that the wheels are clean. i can't vouch for them on the track but for the street they're an excellent replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #83
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm still undecided on the Z23 or Z26's will be good to hear your initial reviews of these pads for the M2. The stock brake dust is truly horrific!!! But will the Z26's be too harsh on the rotors??
I installed the Z26's last night and here are my initial thoughts

Pros - very quiet; less initial bite which I much prefer;
easy install; looking forward to less brake dust

Cons - I don't get the "clunk" but more of a quiet
"click" when pressing on the brake the first
time; quick squeal which goes away after the
first brake on a cold pad;

Overall very good first impressions. The brakes were properly bedded in and are very smooth. I've had Hawk HPS on my GTR and these were identical quality and performance at a fraction of the cost so don't let the price deter you. I hope to have the car long enough for a more long term review.
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0