BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Euro Delivery - Questions for previous ED or German/Austrian members

12-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
empowered_one
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP Mineral White

Euro Delivery - Questions for previous ED or German/Austrian members

Hello all, LONG time lurker on these forums, been waiting on allocation for a while for my M2 (since August) and my order slot comes up next month. Build date is supposed to be in March...so it will be a late spring Euro Delivery.

Deciding to take my father with me as he is almost 70 and has never been out of the U.S. Since I have the ability to take him it will be a really special experience for him.

Below are my plans, but I would love some insight from anyone that had done ED before or lives in the regions I would like to visit.

Day 1:
My plan is to take delivery in Munich and spend an extra night in Munich and take in the sights. Any must see places in Munich you can recommend? I don't want tourist places, but places locals would recommend.

Day 2:
From Munich, I intend to head to Stuttgart for a day, visit some friends, and take my father to the Mercedes and Porsche Museums. We will probably finish the day off in Schwabisch-Gmuend, a village i've had probably 30 trips to in the last decade to show him where my company is headquartered.

Day 3:
Then, the FUN begins...Will head toward the Black Forest and drive route 500 Hochstrasse, starting outside Baden-Baden and headed south to Hornisgrind. I intend to continue south to Friedrichshafen and spend the night near the Bodensee with dinner and some beers.

Day 4:
From Friedrichshafen, I then want to head to Austria and spend a day of spirited driving through the Alps. There are a few roads I would love to hit, including but not limited to the Grosslockner Pass, Hahntennjoch Pass, and Silverettastrasse. Linking all of these roads will take me some work. Any recommendations on where to stay in Austria??

Day 5:
I would love to hit up Zugspitze and take the gondola up to the peak to see the Alps from the highest point in Germany as we head back to Munich to drop off the car and head back to the airport Hotel before heading home.

Day 6 to infinity:
wait patiently for my car to arrive....

Anything anyone can recommend in any of these areas? Lodging, restaurants, sight seeing?

Thanks everyone, can't wait to share epic photographs from this journey!

Last edited by empowered_one; 12-16-2017 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Very similar situation for me - my father will be 70 in June and had never been to mainland Europe before (he had previously only been outside the US once before - a short visit to England and Scotland 13 years ago for my sister's wedding), so I had been planning on making this trip with him for the past five years, as he's always wanted to visit Germany.

I didn't spent much time in Munich, but I recommend you take him to the castle tours near Fussen, which is only about 80 miles south (also recommend Hotel Waldmann if you go there). I had the Grossglockner Pass on my itinerary for a long time but it ended up being the last thing I cut out before we left due to time constraints (we did do Stelvio, however). Also had the M-B and Porsche museums on my itinerary specifically for pops but we missed that when he fell ill!

You should also consider taking him to visit Rothenburg. See my ED trip link below - may get some ideas there. One other recommendation from my experience: stay longer!
      12-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
empowered_one
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP Mineral White

Thanks for the feedback, Bobert. Rothensburgh is another good place to visit, been there a few times during past trips to Germany and I am sure he would enjoy that. I will add that to the list for sure, gonna check out your ED trip now!
      12-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Near Munich, I would suggest visiting Dachau. I've seen memorials and museums in other places but being on the site of an actual KZ feels very different.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

In Munich you must go to Hofbräuhaus, and yes it's going to have tourists but so what It's the original one. In Austria you should stay in Salzburg and check out the old city.
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Interalpen Hotel in Tyrol Austria - bucket-list worthy!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
diavliyo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128TI

Zzzzzzz
Appreciate 0