BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > New and am about to Order - Thoughts

12-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

New and am about to Order - Thoughts

At present I drive a 2016 Mini Cooper JCW - Stick shift - Tweaked to 290HP.
Hard to put the power down until you are in 4th! It's Quick and super fun in the big city and on the highway.
Drove a M240i Xdrive and M2 Both auto. Liked the M240i better but just drove a brand new 6 speed around the parking lot of my local BMW dealer and completely fell in love! I know the arm rest gets in the way of the shifts but you can really feel the engine with a stick and it feels really nice.
The M2 is a different beast than the JCW but they both seen to have the fun thing going.
Do you guys enjoy the daily drive in the M2? Anyone doe the ED thing? Are they just an easy way to loose your licence?
Also have seen all the colors and was thinking white till today. The grey is super cool but too much of a statement for me - is it boring to go blue like most people?
Can not wait to get the car and fire up the E-Sys and hack that software....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
At present I drive a 2016 Mini Cooper JCW - Stick shift - Tweaked to 290HP.
Hard to put the power down until you are in 4th! It's Quick and super fun in the big city and on the highway.
Drove a M240i Xdrive and M2 Both auto. Liked the M240i better but just drove a brand new 6 speed around the parking lot of my local BMW dealer and completely fell in love! I know the arm rest gets in the way of the shifts but you can really feel the engine with a stick and it feels really nice.
The M2 is a different beast than the JCW but they both seen to have the fun thing going.
Do you guys enjoy the daily drive in the M2? Anyone doe the ED thing? Are they just an easy way to loose your licence?
Also have seen all the colors and was thinking white till today. The grey is super cool but too much of a statement for me - is it boring to go blue like most people?
Can not wait to get the car and fire up the E-Sys and hack that software....

You're the only person who thinks Mineral Gray is a statement and the LBB is under the radar. The LBB is going to get you attention, Mingeral Gray you will blend in.
Appreciate 5
      12-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

I'm a little confused on some parts of your post. You liked the 240i better then drove a 6 speed around the parking lot. Was that a 6 speed M2 or a 240i? I'd say, if you liked the 240i better, why not just get that? It's a very good car and will save you some $$.

Arm rest doesn't bother me on my shifts but if you're taller than me and have the lowest setting on your seat, I could possibly see this happening.

I daily drive my M2 and enjoy it as do many on this forum. I've also done ED with it and highly recommend it. As for loosing your license, you're breaking a new car in and I highly doubt that you could go too fast on the autobahn in Germany In other countries, yes need to watch your speed limit.

LBBlue is boring?? You're the first I've ever seen, write that in this forum. I've got that color and you won't believe that amount of people that will compliment you on it.

Your mini sounds like a go kart on steroids, so the 240i & M2 might feel calmer & less nimble at first due to it's size & weight. Good luck on your choice and show us pics of whatever you get!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
seetohey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB, 6MT. Future: CTR

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You're the only person who thinks Mineral Gray is a statement and the LBB is under the radar. The LBB is going to get you attention, Mingeral Gray you will blend in.
Agree with this. My LBB seems to only get thumbs ups and waves from pimply faced 16yo kids.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Totally confused how you could like the 240i better. I'm barely 5'9" but I'm mostly torso so I have the seat in the lowest setting, and I've never found the armrest to be in the way of shifting - that's a new 'problem' to me. Also did ED like Joe and it was an awesome experience, though it's depressing to come back to the US with our crappy roads, suburban sprawl, and terrible drivers.
      12-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks to you for the advice. I guess I did not make it clear. The 2 cars I test drove the M240i Xdrive and the M2 were both automatics. I have never owed an auto. I had trouble with the paddle changes and this showed up more on the M2 as it was rear wheel drive. On the brief drive in both the M240i XDrive was easier to throw around the corners. I felt slightly disconnected with the auto on the M2. The drive in the manual completely changed that perspective.....although it was not on the open road I could really feel that I could be one with the car.
The comment on the tickets was meant for here. As pointed out I would not be expecting tickets in Europe.
The armrest in the way comment. Totally stand by that. The armrest is clearly not designed for a manual shift. Mini had the same problem and most of us pulled the arm rest. That does not seem possible on the M2. The salesman (who was British) point out this fact and says he drives with the armrest open.... Call me ADD but I hate things near my elbow when changing gear.
My comments on the colors are as follows:
Grey - Very hard core, bad boy and cool
Blue - Beautiful but everyone has one this color so seems common
Have to wait another week before I put in my order. Probably go with the common color!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Recommend the xdrive 240. Sounds like you're looking for a daily driver that's fun and will have to work well in snow since you're in Canada. Also sounds like you're quite satisfied and maybe even prefer the feel of the xdrive over the M2. Go for the xdrive. You have more color options too. I know others here use their M2 with snow tires in the winter. That's great and will do the job but for me I have a dedicated winter 4 wheel drive.
      12-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
The comment on the tickets was meant for here. As pointed out I would not be expecting tickets in Europe.

The armrest in the way comment. Totally stand by that. The armrest is clearly not designed for a manual shift. Mini had the same problem and most of us pulled the arm rest. That does not seem possible on the M2. The salesman (who was British) point out this fact and says he drives with the armrest open.... Call me ADD but I hate things near my elbow when changing gear.

Have to wait another week before I put in my order. Probably go with the common color!

Don't fool yourself here. Not so much on the autobahn, but be careful in cities as the amount of cameras that have been added is crazy. I just got a ticket mailed to me for 6 km/h over in a 50 km/h zone in a downtown area in Germany.

Not doubting you here, but maybe you are not designed for the arm rest
Have you tried the forward position or is it a matter of your shifting arm being vertical?...or you have really long arms? I have my arm rest forward and use it all the time when shifting. I am 5'8" tall and the whole position feels perfect to me. Just a matter of style and size I guess.

You could call Blue common, but how many other M2's are you going to have living next to you?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Recommend the xdrive 240. Sounds like you're looking for a daily driver that's fun and will have to work well in snow since you're in Canada. Also sounds like you're quite satisfied and maybe even prefer the feel of the xdrive over the M2. Go for the xdrive. You have more color options too. I know others here use their M2 with snow tires in the winter. That's great and will do the job but for me I have a dedicated winter 4 wheel drive.
Thanks for the Recco. I have this thought in my head that I can't shake and it is this. Please don't take it the wrong way BTW.
"If I buy an automatic why not just buy an electric car".
I've owned an S4 back when you could get a stick and it was really great in winter. I would be happy with the M240i XDrive but it is the fact that it changes gear for me changes the whole experience. The M240i also is quieter (which I like), cheaper and as you point out way more options.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hi there. Yes I enjoy the DD in the M2, I also made a switch from a Mini JCW 6MT (mine had the JCW Works Pro suspension too) and with DCT the M2 is a much more redlined DD.

I might change again soon as my work mikes are racking up fast but time will tell.
      12-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #11
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Hi there. Yes I enjoy the DD in the M2, I also made a switch from a Mini JCW 6MT (mine had the JCW Works Pro suspension too) and with DCT the M2 is a much more redlined DD.

I might change again soon as my work mikes are racking up fast but time will tell.
I hear you on the DD. The JCW's lack the rush from hitting the gas, although mine makes people squeal with the extra power. I would say that there are few cars that you can throw around at slow speeds and have a constant smile though.
I am pretty excited to use the M2. Is it more refined as a DD than the MINI?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #12
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Don't fool yourself here. Not so much on the autobahn, but be careful in cities as the amount of cameras that have been added is crazy. I just got a ticket mailed to me for 6 km/h over in a 50 km/h zone in a downtown area in Germany.
Do the ED it is awesome!

This said, don’t be surprised when you get nailed on the autobahn too, they have dynamic speed signs that will change on you. It can go from everybody’s favorite two black lines, to a much lower number very quickly.

In the US it’s not a reciprocal ticket, so you just pay your fine and move on. That may not be the case in Canada.

Nothing quite approaches the sense of panic when opening a letter from Germany and seeing your own smiling face, 250 kph as your speed, and 80 kph as the limit.
      12-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #13
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
M2 with 6MT is probably the most fun daily driver currently available from BMW. Enjoy!

Oh and don't forget to consider Alpine White.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 02:30 AM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

I hear you on the DD. The JCW's lack the rush from hitting the gas, although mine makes people squeal with the extra power. I would say that there are few cars that you can throw around at slow speeds and have a constant smile though.
I am pretty excited to use the M2. Is it more refined as a DD than the MINI?
Yes much much more refined IMO. I think I typed redlined in my original message, I meant refined oops!
      12-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #15
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

I pulled the trigger 2 days ago but don't have a slot yet as I have not committed to a delivery method. Still thinking about the real cost of the ED. I could not pick up the car till May in Europe.
1 - Which means I have to wait till then.
2 - I have to wait another 2 months after that for the car to get to me. Which puts me into August. Could get a 2019 then (almost).
3 - There is no discount on Canadian cars for ED.
4 - I order it now I'll get a January build and have the car at the end of March or early April

I love the idea of the ED but it would be a really long wait. For those that have been there what are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #16
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
I agree with you on the armrest comment. When test driving the 6MT I couldn't put my finger on just a slight level of non-perfectness to the position of my arm to the shifter and now that you've mentioned this, I think this is it.

I'm hoping I'll just get used to it... I'm also thinking it's because I've moved from a right hand drive market to a left hand drive market in the last year... shifting with my right hand is EXTREMELY weird. But again, hoping I'll get used to it with time.

All that said, none of these nitpicks stopped me from ordering a 6MT Mineral Grey.. It's currently waiting at port in Germany

And I didn't think my colour was "hardcore" but hey I'll take it lol
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy729.00
      12-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
I pulled the trigger 2 days ago but don't have a slot yet as I have not committed to a delivery method. Still thinking about the real cost of the ED. I could not pick up the car till May in Europe.
2 - I have to wait another 2 months after that for the car to get to me. Which puts me into August. Could get a 2019 then (almost).
4 - I order it now I'll get a January build and have the car at the end of March or early April

I love the idea of the ED but it would be a really long wait. For those that have been there what are your thoughts?
My thoughts are wait until May and do the ED - it will be worth it. I wasn't going to have it any other way after being unable to do ED on my first new bimmer & the trip exceeded my lofty expectations. If I hadn't been lucky to find another allocation for early October after my original CA dropped the ball, I'd have waited until May, which was my original plan anyway until I calculated back in Jan that I could pull it off in Oct. Of course expenses on the trip vary wildly, but I spent less than I saved by getting the 5% ED discount (not that I cared - oops, just rem that you said Canada...). It took me a day short of 7 weeks to get my car (I'm on the east coast).
      12-14-2017, 11:16 PM   #18
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:

Order the car and skip the European delivery. If there is no discount then you may as well order the car and get it early in the year so you can drive it. If you don't get until August then you are right up on winter in Canada. Go on vacation in Europe as a reward for getting your car early and avoiding ED.
      12-15-2017, 02:49 AM   #19
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Quote:
I agree with you on the armrest comment. When test driving the 6MT I couldn't put my finger on just a slight level of non-perfectness to the position of my arm to the shifter and now that you've mentioned this, I think this is it.

I'm hoping I'll just get used to it... I'm also thinking it's because I've moved from a right hand drive market to a left hand drive market in the last year... shifting with my right hand is EXTREMELY weird. But again, hoping I'll get used to it with time.

All that said, none of these nitpicks stopped me from ordering a 6MT Mineral Grey.. It's currently waiting at port in Germany

I think the grey is more of a badass color in an understated way. classy but will punch ya in the mouth if needed
mg 6mt is how I would order.
      12-15-2017, 03:51 AM   #20
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Thanks to you for the advice. I guess I did not make it clear. The 2 cars I test drove the M240i Xdrive and the M2 were both automatics. I have never owed an auto. I had trouble with the paddle changes and this showed up more on the M2 as it was rear wheel drive. On the brief drive in both the M240i XDrive was easier to throw around the corners. I felt slightly disconnected with the auto on the M2. The drive in the manual completely changed that perspective.....although it was not on the open road I could really feel that I could be one with the car.
Quote:
I agree there are a lot more LBB been sold. I'm in the UK and I think there are a lot more M2s sold in the UK than other countries, I have a LBB and I have only seen one approx 100 miles away from where I live. To be honest I would go for the colour you love.
      12-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #21
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Quote:

I just ordered my M2, DCT in Mineral Grey two days ago! I'm supposed to get it around February... can't wait!

In the meantime, I rented a white M2 to check it out for two days, prior to making my final decision to order it! It took about three hours with the rented M2 before I called my BMW salesman, and told him I'm coming in to order it! (Rented from Turo! Great company!)

Great car!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #22
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
Quote:

I just ordered my M2, DCT in Mineral Grey two days ago! I'm supposed to get it around February... can't wait!

In the meantime, I rented a white M2 to check it out for two days, prior to making my final decision to order it! It took about three hours with the rented M2 before I called my BMW salesman, and told him I'm coming in to order it! (Rented from Turo! Great company!)

Great car!
Before you order ask if there are any cars available where people have ordered and cancelled the order. My dealer found the exact spec I wanted with but with CarPlay, I didn't want CarPlay. I ordered on the Thursday and pick up the next Wednesday and it only cost me the extra for CarPlay. And to be honest, I have used CarPlay a number of times. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images