BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Keyed :(

12-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
crowflies
Rep
Drives: M2

Angry Keyed :(

It was bound to happen. Parked in the back of the lot, under a light, little island thing on one side no car on the other side, Target.

I didn’t notice it till I got gas so I couldn’t tell who did it. Other than a serious douchebag.

I’m worked up about it and pissed. so now I’m trying to think how much the dealer is gonna charge me. I don’t want to risk taking it anywhere else and someone try and match the paint.

Anyone have experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Sorry man, that sucks. Not sure if I read your post correctly, but we're you parked at a Target store? Or did you mean you were a target? If at store, and probably a long shot, but just maybe they have cameras and you could ask them to check it out for you?

There is a thread here about hooking up a camera to your car if this is something you may want to do in the future.

As far as fixing it goes, shop around your area and ask allot of questions. Go to some body shops and see what they say.

Sometimes parking too isolated, although seeming the thing to do, is worse off I think? Either way, it takes all kinds as they say. Hang in there....
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Mine's been keyed three times. I park most (ridiculously?) carefully, so no way I had it coming. It costs a lot: I wish I could have those MFs charged, they'd LOVE the sum, I'm sure. Otherwise I'm reasonably glad I've no idea who did it: not looking to end up in jail and no way I would've let them go. If you don't have insurance to pay off, consider how likely it won't happen again - I skipped fixing. A comfortable way to look at it is as a kind of a challenge: don't let them get you. The car is still great nevertheless and it always can be even worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

If you were to cover the entire car in PPF would it protect it from something like this?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
If you were to cover the entire car in PPF would it protect it from something like this?
That is a good question. Guess it would depend on how much pressure and how sharp the key or damaging object is. If it broke through the PPF immediately would it continue to cut or skim back out and glide over the top? Too many variables really, but you would think it would help.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
That is a good question. Guess it would depend on how much pressure and how sharp the key or damaging object is. If it broke through the PPF immediately would it continue to cut or skim back out and glide over the top? Too many variables really, but you would think it would help.

Well there is this video

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/wha...errari-ff.html
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50
      12-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Sorry this happened, so far I've only had my car spit on. A dash cam won't help, police will just tell you to contact your insurance company.

My GF had her car keyed in a mall parking lot too, even caught the guys on camera, if you don't know who your looking for, you can't do shit.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
crowflies
Rep
Drives: M2

Sorry, yeah it was at a target store. I thought the same thing... like if you make yourself too secluded, it’s easier to have it done to you because people think you are a snob or whatever. I worked my ass off for this car. Deductible too high and I don’t think I’ll have the cash to get it fixed for awhile.

I’ve cooled down a bit since it happened earlier hopefully I can let it go till maybe summertime.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #9
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

The bastards. When I get nasty things done to me or my car, I spend hours before falling asleep imagining that I have the responsible person chained to a dentist's chair and that the room is soundproofed. I then slowly drill away his teeth with the slow reverberating drill - the one that always sends you sliding down the seat.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 2
IB M2782.00
rich8566608.50
      12-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

That really sucks, sooner or later it happens to everyone. Next time it will probably be a jerk with a shit can that intentionally parks really close to your car at the end of a wide open lot. Some people are real pieces of work. Instead of bettering themselves they just resort to being resentful pricks.

I would not rely on the dealership to have it painted. They tend to have contracts with body shops that IMO are not all that great. Best to search for a repeatable body shop near you. Search this forum, check out yelp, etc. Visit the shop and check out how clean and organized it is. Talk to the workers and get a feel if it's a place you feel comfortable with. When you do pickup your car inspect it in direct sunlight before paying for anything. I also highly recommend you do a walk around and have checklist that you sign off on pointing out the only damage to the car is where it was scratched. GL
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #11
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowflies View Post
Sorry, yeah it was at a target store.
You mean a Target store after all, don't you? You put it right initially: a name, not just a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowflies View Post
if you make yourself too secluded, it’s easier to have it done to you because people think you are a snob or whatever.
If you keep close to them they might turn out snobs themselves or expect you to appreciate their "joke" once you're so "close". It should be easier to do being covered than approaching a car for no reason where it's easily observable - they aren't too brave, I believe. "Too secluded" - perhaps: the car is just more noticeable standing alone than in a crowd.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #12
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

I can't even imagine. My condolences to you OP.

I thought that's why you guys all have guns in the US?
Appreciate 2
hz101171.00
      12-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #13
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

There are a lot of worthless POS people out there with nothing better to do than to vandalize other peoples property. Perhaps, legalizing keying other peoples cars, like legalizing pot will be the answer! NOT!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
There are a lot of worthless POS people out there with nothing better to do than to vandalize other peoples property. Perhaps, legalizing keying other peoples cars, like legalizing pot will be the answer! NOT!

Mike
Perhaps if we all just got stoned no one would be out keying cars. Not usually an activity that most potheads bother with.

Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      12-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #15
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Find out the body shop the Porsche guys and the exotic guys use. I'd keep away from the dealer shops. Check the forums. Typically there are a couple 'go to' shops in major metropolitan areas.
Appreciate 2
devo755.00
DETRoadster11462.50
      12-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #16
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

this ^
      12-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #17
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
If someone's motivated enough clear bra won't do anything. Sucks there are so many petty haters out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
Find out the body shop the Porsche guys and the exotic guys use. I'd keep away from the dealer shops. Check the forums. Typically there are a couple 'go to' shops in major metropolitan areas.
Dealer shops aren't bad. As long as the shop they use is manufactuer certified that's all that matters.
      12-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #18
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Quote:
If someone's motivated enough clear bra won't do anything. Sucks there are so many petty haters out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
Dealer shops aren't bad. As long as the shop they use is manufactuer certified that's all that matters.
Before using a dealer shop take a look at checkbook magazine, similar pubs, and the forums. A lot of certified shops get terrible reviews. Just speaking with the GEICO adjuster will get you info that some of the certified shops suck. If you really care or are OCD, find the top shops.

If it's more than a key you'll need a shop to argue they need genuine Bmw parts rather than aftermarket crap, too. I recall waiting an extra couple of days for a genuine bumper because my shop had to accept the aftermarket part, tell the insurer it didn't fit well, and then get permission for the genuine part. It was a dance he'd been through before.

If you're paying, you'll get what you want. But find a shop that gets it. I'd suggest the Porsche and exotic forums or a trusted independent BMW garage.

If it's just a car to you and it's gone in two years, this is probably more work than the trouble.

A bunch of these select shops also have significant waits. But since it's purely cosmetic, that's not a problem.

I feel your pain. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #19
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

As someone in the industry I would more then likely not use the dealer sublet.

Doing dealer work keeps the shop busy but dealers are more demanding then cutomers in terms of getting cars turned around. It also doesn't pay as well, dealers work out different deals with shops but regardless they always get a piece of the pie somehow, usually the deal is they get all the profit on the parts. Point is doing dealer work is a volume game, you get them in and out. The best shops in your area wouldn't want to bother with doing dealer work, doing good work requires time. More prep time, more time to assemble and disassemble, more spraying time and materials including test cards, remember ALL paint has to mixed there's no shortcut to getting a perfect match, even the best guys need at least one test spray to nail a match. That adds significant time in the booth, and the booth is the choke point of most shops.

If you want a perfect match research to find the higher end bodyshops, like other people said, don't go to the dealer.
      12-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #20
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post
As someone in the industry I would more then likely not use the dealer sublet.

Doing dealer work keeps the shop busy but dealers are more demanding then cutomers in terms of getting cars turned around. It also doesn't pay as well, dealers work out different deals with shops but regardless they always get a piece of the pie somehow, usually the deal is they get all the profit on the parts. Point is doing dealer work is a volume game, you get them in and out. The best shops in your area wouldn't want to bother with doing dealer work, doing good work requires time. More prep time, more time to assemble and disassemble, more spraying time and materials including test cards, remember ALL paint has to mixed there's no shortcut to getting a perfect match, even the best guys need at least one test spray to nail a match. That adds significant time in the booth, and the booth is the choke point of most shops.

If you want a perfect match research to find the higher end bodyshops, like other people said, don't go to the dealer.
I too spent some time in the industry and my experience with dealers subbing out body shop work is the same as yours. I'd recommend the OP steers clear of the dealer as well. Why insert the dealer in as a middle man who is taking a cut of the profit and lose control over the direct accountability of the shop doing the work.

OP: As others have said, find a shop that does high end production car work. It's your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #21
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post

I don't think they will know there is a clear bra. They may think they harmed the car, but didn't.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #22
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
this ^
^ X2 go to a Porsche certified joint and you will never know it happened. Check with Target if they will help you out. sorry about this and fuck the ones that did it
Appreciate 0