BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Keyed :(

12-10-2017, 12:27 AM   #23
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Had a car keyed at Christmas time several years ago.

Had the entire car repainted, took months.

I'm installing cameras soon.

I hate vandalism.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:39 AM   #24
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry to hear that. I don't know if I could buy a brand new m2 and deal with someone messing with it. I'd be worried about the pristine condition all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #25
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
The bastards. When I get nasty things done to me or my car, I spend hours before falling asleep imagining that I have the responsible person chained to a dentist's chair and that the room is soundproofed. I then slowly drill away his teeth with the slow reverberating drill - the one that always sends you sliding down the seat.
]

[IMG]https://i.imgflip.com/1u9mbu.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #26
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
Find out the body shop the Porsche guys and the exotic guys use. I'd keep away from the dealer shops. Check the forums. Typically there are a couple 'go to' shops in major metropolitan areas.
This ^^^ or in some cases call the local Ferrari dealer and ask them. That’s what I did. Also report this to the insurance even if you aren’t making a claim. They have contracts with places like Target and can get the tapes. The guy that door dinged my F80 got caught on tape and it cost me nothing to get it PERFECTLY fixed.
      12-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #27
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowflies View Post
It was bound to happen. Parked in the back of the lot, under a light, little island thing on one side no car on the other side, Target.

I didn’t notice it till I got gas so I couldn’t tell who did it. Other than a serious douchebag.

I’m worked up about it and pissed. so now I’m trying to think how much the dealer is gonna charge me. I don’t want to risk taking it anywhere else and someone try and match the paint.

Anyone have experience with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Mine's been keyed three times. I park most (ridiculously?) carefully, so no way I had it coming. It costs a lot: I wish I could have those MFs charged, they'd LOVE the sum, I'm sure. Otherwise I'm reasonably glad I've no idea who did it: not looking to end up in jail and no way I would've let them go. If you don't have insurance to pay off, consider how likely it won't happen again - I skipped fixing. A comfortable way to look at it is as a kind of a challenge: don't let them get you. The car is still great nevertheless and it always can be even worse.
Where are you guys located?

I ask because in Miami there are so many M3/4's (amongst supercar after super car) that I'm hoping no one pays attention to an M2.
Appreciate 1
Aronis2267.00
      12-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #28
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

1 word: Dashcam

Sorry to hear OP
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #29
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Think about what happens in Singapore or Saudi Arabia if you get caught keying a car. I say cane his ass until it's Imola Red.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #30
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
The bastards. When I get nasty things done to me or my car, I spend hours before falling asleep imagining that I have the responsible person chained to a dentist's chair and that the room is soundproofed. I then slowly drill away his teeth with the slow reverberating drill - the one that always sends you sliding down the seat.
Sounds like you got inspired by the notorious "Is it safe?" scene of "Marathon Man" with Laurence Olivier torturing Dustin Hoffman.

12-11-2017, 05:06 AM   #31
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Where are you guys located?

I ask because in Miami there are so many M3/4's (amongst supercar after super car) that I'm hoping no one pays attention to an M2.
I'm overseas. Not many M/supercars around and their owners store them in guarded/private garages. Mine just stands out visually (you can put your cursor on the '1' in the "forums" row atop for an idea). I knew it would but couldn't compromise. No way I'd store an M2 (with it's extensive cocky look) on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Sounds like you got inspired by the notorious "Is it safe?" scene of "Marathon Man" with Laurence Olivier torturing Dustin Hoffman.
Sounds like she's a no joke dentist.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #32
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
1 word: Dashcam

Sorry to hear OP
I have an Anker DC but it doesn't run 24/7, only when the car is on and maybe another few minutes once I turn the car off. Also, that would only catch someone if they approach from the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #33
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

I am so sorry to hear that.

Given the fact those trashes plan to key cars that are looking nice.
This will probably reduce the chance...

I know it could be very incovenient to do the job everytime you are parking somewhere outside of your house garage. But could be a cheap prevention
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #34
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Sorry, yeah it was at a target store. I thought the same thing... like if you make yourself too secluded, it’s easier to have it done to you because people think you are a snob or whatever. I worked my ass off for this car. Deductible too high and I don’t think I’ll have the cash to get it fixed for awhile.

I’ve cooled down a bit since it happened earlier hopefully I can let it go till maybe summertime.
If you cannot afford your deductible, you have the wrong plan. Same with health insurance, same with auto insurance. You are literally paying for nothing if you don't use it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #35
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
It was bound to happen. Parked in the back of the lot, under a light, little island thing on one side no car on the other side, Target.

I didn’t notice it till I got gas so I couldn’t tell who did it. Other than a serious douchebag.

I’m worked up about it and pissed. so now I’m trying to think how much the dealer is gonna charge me. I don’t want to risk taking it anywhere else and someone try and match the paint.

Use a BMW certified collision repair shop. They abide by strict factory collision repair techniques. As I recall there are only about 69 of these across the USA. Be careful as many BMW dealers will claim they can do the repair, but all they do is outsource the work to a local body shop. Make sure the BMW dealer owns a "certified" BMW collision repair shop.

See here for more details: IMG]https://bmwusaservice.com/ccrc[/IMG]
      12-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #36
alexc93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have an Anker DC but it doesn't run 24/7, only when the car is on and maybe another few minutes once I turn the car off. Also, that would only catch someone if they approach from the front of the car.
I have a Blackvue DR650S 2 channel so it runs front and rear, and I run it using a power magic pro from blackboxmycar.com which allows it to run for about 3 days until the battery reaches 12v and shuts off the power to the dashcam. I highly recommend getting one and wiring up that way! Still a better chance of catching someone than if it's not running at all..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #37
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
Quote:
I have a Blackvue DR650S 2 channel so it runs front and rear, and I run it using a power magic pro from blackboxmycar.com which allows it to run for about 3 days until the battery reaches 12v and shuts off the power to the dashcam. I highly recommend getting one and wiring up that way! Still a better chance of catching someone than if it's not running at all..
Is your rear window tinted? If so, how badly does it affect the rear camera recording?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #38
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
I am so sorry to hear that.

Given the fact those trashes plan to key cars that are looking nice.
This will probably reduce the chance...

I know it could be very incovenient to do the job everytime you are parking somewhere outside of your house garage. But could be a cheap prevention

This would attract even more attention. Imagine a car at the back of a parking lot with a car cover over it. Curiosity will strike just about everyone and you'll have people sneak a peak of what's underneath. And once they find out well... you've accomplished absolutely nothing then.

I've had my car keyed before. Honestly there's really nothing you can do about it except to follow a few simple rules to decrease the likelihood of it occurring. In general always park furthest in the back, but don't park over lines taking up two spaces like a douche. Avoid high foot traffic areas (like sidewalks where someone could just walk by and throw their Dr Pepper on your car). It's usually the hoodlums or some young degenerate that engages in these activities. So if you know you are going somewhere where you're likely to encounter this species (e.g. the mall), avoid taking your M and take your beater or someone else's less flashy car.
Appreciate 3
bobert858.50
Ian ///M491.00
rich8566608.50
      12-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #39
alexc93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is your rear window tinted? If so, how badly does it affect the rear camera recording?
Apologies for the delay, haven't had a chance to get on the forum recently. My rear window is tinted 30%, but doesn't affect camera visibility at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #40
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Keying and door dinging are the worst...fuck those assholes
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      12-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #41
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:

Man, this is one of those things that really grinds my gears. Feel terrible for OP and it really sucks that we live in a society that if you drive a nice car, you have to kind of expect it to get keyed or messed with at some point.

The people that does these type of things are just plain pathetic. Maybe they justify it to themselves by thinking that if you drive a nice car, you must be a cocky snob. NO, we are just nice people who work harder than you and don't hate others for their success.

OP, maybe post some pics of the damage. Depending on how deep the scratch is and how big the affected area is, you would have different options. I'm sure we can offer better advice then. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      12-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #42
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
Maybe they justify it to themselves by thinking that if you drive a nice car, you must be a cocky snob.
And even if you are, what's their fucking business? Who are they for you to please (any further than non-violating their legal rights) on any mandatory basis? Any pleasant ones, indeed? They don't appreciate they are allowed to live. That's their point.

Last edited by No one; 01-01-2018 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: Added a link.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #43
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
hence why I don't leave my M2 alone more than 1 minute when I'm out and about. our cars stand out too much. there are too many low lives out there.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #44
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18MY M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
hence why I don't leave my M2 alone more than 1 minute when I'm out and about. our cars stand out too much. there are too many low lives out there.
On the other hand, we are dependent on living in a society, which is imperfect by nature.

once you buy into this game. The risk of something like this will happen. same thing goes with like crimes, man made disasters, politics, etc. to name a few.

if you think of it as if a branch falls on it, or a deer hits it, or hail damage. it might make you feel better.
Appreciate 0