BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 suspension stiffness solutions

01-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #23
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Or really great - Depending on your perspective. This is a pic of Kkakonn's 513m 18" wheels - I think they rock!
Those are great-looking wheels and, no question, to me, the best-looking 18" I've seen on an M2.
      01-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #24
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Those are great-looking wheels and, no question, to me, the best-looking 18" I've seen on an M2.
They are hard to find though. Stock wheels on the M3' I believe...most upgrade so they don't make many!

Last edited by GregoryK; 01-16-2018 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 04:38 AM   #25
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Just different tastes. To me and my friends, we all unanmously like the 18s more but it's probably because we are all autocrossers and racers and function skews our tastes.

For example, if you look at the Pontiac G8, it's kinda ugly but when you learn that it has a big-ass V8 with a 6 speed manual transmission, 50-50 weight distrubution and center console window controls like old German cars it looks more attractive all of a sudden.

Example two. I live in San Diego where there are lot of pretty women and you can get jaded somewhat. One day I was walking by a decent looking girl lady putting money in a meter for her E46 330i sedan with sport package. As I walk by and glance in her car and notice it has a manual transmission, she instantly became more attractive.

So perhaps those of us that are into function and performance see them as more attractive but I can tell you that in my crowd we tend to find things are functional attractive.

Here is M3 on 18s... they look amazing to me and my cone racing friends....
What 18” tyre pressure psi do you run F&R ?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #26
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Quote:
Just different tastes. To me and my friends, we all unanmously like the 18s more but it's probably because we are all autocrossers and racers and function skews our tastes.

For example, if you look at the Pontiac G8, it's kinda ugly but when you learn that it has a big-ass V8 with a 6 speed manual transmission, 50-50 weight distrubution and center console window controls like old German cars it looks more attractive all of a sudden.

Example two. I live in San Diego where there are lot of pretty women and you can get jaded somewhat. One day I was walking by a decent looking girl lady putting money in a meter for her E46 330i sedan with sport package. As I walk by and glance in her car and notice it has a manual transmission, she instantly became more attractive.

So perhaps those of us that are into function and performance see them as more attractive but I can tell you that in my crowd we tend to find things are functional attractive.

Here is M3 on 18s... they look amazing to me and my cone racing friends....
What 18” tyre pressure psi do you run F&R ?
35-35 same as 19s
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1737.50
      02-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #27
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Smaller rim and more ratio of the tyre to the wheels will give softer riding.

If you wish to keep the stock rims go with Michelin PS4S if yours came with Contis (belive someone already have mentioned above).

Good solution would be having Dinan coilover and make rebound rate even softer. Dinan's as it comes from their recommendation is known to be softer than the stock suspension. And their price is actually pretty cheap compared to KW V3 / Ohlins R&T
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #28
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Smaller rim and more ratio of the tyre to the wheels will give softer riding.

If you wish to keep the stock rims go with Michelin PS4S if yours came with Contis (belive someone already have mentioned above).

Good solution would be having Dinan coilover and make rebound rate even softer. Dinan's as it comes from their recommendation is known to be softer than the stock suspension. And their price is actually pretty cheap compared to KW V3 / Ohlins R&T
Dinan coilovers don't come with shocks, so there is no rebound adjustability. It's odd that an adjustable spring set could make the car more comfortable. I wonder if running stiffer springs are more compatible with the shocks and that improves the ride.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #29
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

For those who swapped out for 18” wheels and 40mm profile tires, what did that do to ride height, lower or higher?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #30
tjmark
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
the simplest and best thing you can do to improve the ride on your M2 that is totally reversible is simply go with a set of 18" wheels and corresponding sized tires. You will not lose anything in performance and yet will improve ride on bad roads and if they are light enough will actually even reduce weight and improve handling. It's a no-brainer, low hanging fruit.

The 19s are there for looks for the most part. Race cars have super stiff suspensions but have sidewalls to absorb imperfections. San Diego has terrible roads and I bought a set of 18" APEX EC-7s 18x9 and 18x10 for my 1M.

I bought these to autocross and put Michelin PSS on them as I wanted to get a feel for the car on street tires at the autocross. I put them on the car to break them in and woah. The ride was better on rough roads and the car was less twitchy. The steering turn in was .001% slightly slower but the benefits easily outweighed that. I ended up leaving them on the car for a year.

It really is amazing how people disregard this and want to change the entire universally praised handling with aftermarket suspensions etc all because the 19s are not really good for bad roads. That is the real issue here. Change the 19s and you will have 99.99999% of the handling with a better ride.

You can simply buy a set 18x9 and 18x10 M3 takeoffs and try it out. You will find the ride over bad roads improved or get a set of APEX too.

Personally, I think the M3 18s are beautiful and very light.

Sadly the 18s were not offered on the M2 but you can pick a set up easily.

If you don't like it, just sell the wheels but I would do this a million times before I would start changing suspension. The car will be more forgiving not just in ride comfort but also more forgiving handling on rough roads.

Here is a pic of Antracite EC-7s with 40 sidewalls.
Love the look of these and wanting improved ride
quality. What tire size are you using here?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 03:34 AM   #31
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmark View Post
Quote:
the simplest and best thing you can do to improve the ride on your M2 that is totally reversible is simply go with a set of 18" wheels and corresponding sized tires. You will not lose anything in performance and yet will improve ride on bad roads and if they are light enough will actually even reduce weight and improve handling. It's a no-brainer, low hanging fruit.

The 19s are there for looks for the most part. Race cars have super stiff suspensions but have sidewalls to absorb imperfections. San Diego has terrible roads and I bought a set of 18" APEX EC-7s 18x9 and 18x10 for my 1M.

I bought these to autocross and put Michelin PSS on them as I wanted to get a feel for the car on street tires at the autocross. I put them on the car to break them in and woah. The ride was better on rough roads and the car was less twitchy. The steering turn in was .001% slightly slower but the benefits easily outweighed that. I ended up leaving them on the car for a year.

It really is amazing how people disregard this and want to change the entire universally praised handling with aftermarket suspensions etc all because the 19s are not really good for bad roads. That is the real issue here. Change the 19s and you will have 99.99999% of the handling with a better ride.

You can simply buy a set 18x9 and 18x10 M3 takeoffs and try it out. You will find the ride over bad roads improved or get a set of APEX too.

Personally, I think the M3 18s are beautiful and very light.

Sadly the 18s were not offered on the M2 but you can pick a set up easily.

If you don't like it, just sell the wheels but I would do this a million times before I would start changing suspension. The car will be more forgiving not just in ride comfort but also more forgiving handling on rough roads.

Here is a pic of Antracite EC-7s with 40 sidewalls.
Love the look of these and wanting improved ride
quality. What tire size are you using here?
245-40-18 in front on 18x9 rim and 265-40-18 on 18x10 rim. These would be the Correct sizes for
m2 on 18s
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #32
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Dinan coilovers don't come with shocks, so there is no rebound adjustability. It's odd that an adjustable spring set could make the car more comfortable. I wonder if running stiffer springs are more compatible with the shocks and that improves the ride.
The members who actually installed the Dinan complained that it's actually worse on broken down pavements compared to stock but on normal roads (i.e. expansion joints etc) it's better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #33
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyasha View Post
For those who swapped out for 18” wheels and 40mm profile tires, what did that do to ride height, lower or higher?
If you choose the correct width and profile, it should be identical?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:41 PM   #34
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3 View Post
live in an area with very bad roads, many of which in my city are in fact cobblestone
Then you should ask yourself if you really *need* that M2/M2C.

Sounds like you live in a city and sounds like you are shopping for a daily driver.

Half the roads where I typically drive my M2C are very nice, some are OK, and some are quite bad. I've grown used to the stiffness, and it doesn’t feel half as bad as it did the first couple of weeks. I find that the best way to deal with it is to just go fast enough over the rough stretches, if the traffic allows. That way it doesn't feel too jarring. It’s not perfect but it works. Who knows, some of my gripes may be alleviated by a nicer suspension when/if I get one.

Bad roads are not the only thing you should consider. It was my primary concern before purchase but it’s not now. If you drive in a slow bumper to bumper city traffic you may find yourself disappointed and exasperated more often than enjoying your M2/M2C. There is nothing inherently wrong with the car, it's the surroundings where you intend to use it that may not let your driving be fluent, smooth and easy.

This thing is by no means a gentle or a delicate tool. It's brutish and it wants to go. It needs nice roads AND open space. The car feels stifled, restrained and struggling in the slow city traffic. The steering is taut, a physical exercise if in constrained surroundings. Parking it gently and nicely... no, wrong car, too.

I am sure both Golf R and Audi RS3 would be more competent and pleasant daily drivers for the city, though probably not as exciting.

I do use my M2C as a daily but honestly whenever I take my m235i (my wife drives it now) out for some business around town it feels refreshing in comparison, elegant and easy to navigate. Down on power (relatively), wouldn't turn heads like M2C does, but it’s better suited for the task.

As for highway, that’s where the M2C shines but I still get aware of the stock M2C aerodynamics whenever I take it over 200 km/hr, not floaty, just pushing against the wind. In the m235i lowered on KW coilovers, and some trickery with LCAs and alignment, I get no sweaty palms all the way to the limit (granted, acceleration doesn’t feel as dramatic, and it was floaty in its stock form).

The cost of running and servicing those cars… OK, you weren’t asking about that.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2019, 02:00 AM   #35
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Can't understand why some people think it's stiff as for me the suspension is a bit soft and I would prefer a slightly harder setup...

Each to their own I guess
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 11:29 PM   #36
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

I switched to Ohlins 80/160 spring rates; then went with Michelin 4S one size up* which puts me just about back to stock firmness but the Ohlins effectively removed the bounce and gave the car a much more settled and hunkered down feel. To go softer than stock you would need to look at the Ohlins with 70/140 springs or possibly the TC Kline set up which is supposedly soft but great performance.

*Front pair = 255/35 ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Rear pair = 275/35 ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Appreciate 0