BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Anyone run with NASA for HPDE? Looking for feedback.

01-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Anyone run with NASA for HPDE? Looking for feedback.

Looking for feedback based upon actual personal experience. I'm starting to plan out my 2017 events and am considering an event with them. As context I've been track driving for 10+ years and have run with several BMWCCA chapters, LAPS, and MVP. Never with NASA. Looking for some thoughts on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I have run HPDE for the past 8 years with virtually every group....NASA is one of my least favorite. The problem is that NASA is primarily for racing and the DE group times get squeezed short to make sure the racers get full access to the track. Also, is the top 2 run groups a bunch of the racers use it for test and tune , which creates a much more aggressive DE environment. I have been spoiled by Chin, so that is always my go to HPDE event....always on schedule, great cars and safe/fast driving.
Appreciate 3
Pyrat 21417.50
redpriest2145.50
      01-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I have run HPDE for the past 8 years with virtually every group....NASA is one of my least favorite. The problem is that NASA is primarily for racing and the DE group times get squeezed short to make sure the racers get full access to the track. Also, is the top 2 run groups a bunch of the racers use it for test and tune , which creates a much more aggressive DE environment. I have been spoiled by Chin, so that is always my go to HPDE event....always on schedule, great cars and safe/fast driving.
Just the type of feedback I'm looking for! I've looked at Chin but they don't have much in the midwest.

Anyone else with feedback on them?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
MayorAdamWest
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

At least in NorCal, NASA is literally the worst for HPDE. Crowded track, expensive, and super super unsafe drivers.

Past: 991 GT3, 991S, F10 550i, 987 Cayman
Appreciate 5
      01-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest View Post
At least in NorCal, NASA is literally the worst for HPDE. Crowded track, expensive, and super super unsafe drivers.
Ok. Sounds like I should write them off. Thanks.
      01-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Just the type of feedback I'm looking for! I've looked at Chin but they don't have much in the midwest.

Anyone else with feedback on them?
You should look at the new NCM track in Bowling Green....probably about 6 hours away , but worth the drive.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest View Post
Was at Sonoma when a bunch of kids (literally - young teens, couldn't have been older than 15) in NASCAR stock cars were divebombing people in turn 11, in the advanced HPDE-4 group.

In a foreshadowing of the race that was happening the next week, where Tony Stewart forced Denny Hamlin into the wall at the same corner to win the race, I was forced to basically hug the wall at turn 11 to avoid hitting one of these kids as my turn in disappeared.

Fortunately I saw it coming, but for a few people who were brand new to HPDE-4, it unnerved them quite a bit. I'd never seen any one as pissed off as the gentleman in charge of that HPDE-4 group. The kids were using the session for obvious testing, as they had professional spotters in the grand stands, a crew chief, etc.

Was an interesting introduction to doing HPDE in a NASA event for sure. My first experience at NASA, lol.

Was also so crowded there was a Conga line going into turn 10, a high speed corner that people were doing 20 mph in the advanced group when the TT drivers shared it with us for two sessions. Bizarre experience all around.

Fastest lap I was able to pull during this two day circus was 1:59. I ran a 1:53 a couple weeks later in a less crowded HPDE.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
trackm4125.00
      01-11-2017, 06:28 AM   #8
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Seems like overwhelming negative feedback from people here. Nothing positive. I'll stay clear. Thanks everyone.
      01-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Direct quote from Bryan, who drives the tow truck at VIR, when I asked about NASA, "Wild West!".
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
iBoosted
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars

Garage List
2012 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
Unless you're trying to get licensed and drive competitively, stay clear from NASA. Run groups are just too crowded.
      01-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
Twt
Captain
Rep

I recall that if you try to get track insurance from Lockton they will not cover any NASA HPDE group 4 ....that says it all!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt
I recall that if you try to get track insurance from Lockton they will not cover any NASA HPDE group 4 ....that says it all!!
Amazing that these guys are still around with all this bad press on them. Sounds like the equivalent to Comcast. The devil. I'll stick with my tried and true BMWCCA, Laps, and MVP. Each has their pros and cons but none come even close to the bad experience portrayed by yourselves on NASA.
      01-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Amazing that these guys are still around with all this bad press on them. Sounds like the equivalent to Comcast. The devil. I'll stick with my tried and true BMWCCA, Laps, and MVP. Each has their pros and cons but none come even close to the bad experience portrayed by yourselves on NASA.
The Lockton thing is a relatively new thing too - I don't recall ever seeing that exclusion on events until recently.

I switched from Lockton to RLI specifically because RLI will insure time trial events + cover you for damages to the track.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #14
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I have a NASA comp and instructor lisc. The focus is racing before hpde. The hpde exists to pay for some track time and hopefully get some more people into racing. If your interested in going racing or seeing what's involved it would be OK. If there is a scheduling conflict for a race the hpde will get bumped.

Most advanced drivers from other hpde (pca, chin, ext) would not be comfortable running in hpde 4. It is more or less open passing with no point bys anywhere on track in my region. Most people in that group have comp. Liscs. And are in track only cars. It may look a bit agressive but it's not really, more like open practice. Plus side is you don't get held up, and don't have to listen to excuses from everyone on how they got slowed down by car x.

So like others have said, there are not many people who come to NASA for hpde for life, they move into racing or they go to other more hpde oriented groups.
Appreciate 2
PrimeBMW661.50
      01-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #15
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
I have a NASA comp and instructor lisc. The focus is racing before hpde. The hpde exists to pay for some track time and hopefully get some more people into racing. If your interested in going racing or seeing what's involved it would be OK. If there is a scheduling conflict for a race the hpde will get bumped.

Most advanced drivers from other hpde (pca, chin, ext) would not be comfortable running in hpde 4. It is more or less open passing with no point bys anywhere on track in my region. Most people in that group have comp. Liscs. And are in track only cars. It may look a bit agressive but it's not really, more like open practice. Plus side is you don't get held up, and don't have to listen to excuses from everyone on how they got slowed down by car x.

So like others have said, there are not many people who come to NASA for hpde for life, they move into racing or they go to other more hpde oriented groups.
David Murry Track days is probably the best for hpde. Open track all day and very good drivers. The detailer guy from ammo on youtube did a nice video on one of his events. He runs a few events through the country and I make them a priority to go to a few a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #16
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
David Murry Track days is probably the best for hpde. Open track all day and very good drivers. The detailer guy from ammo on youtube did a nice video on one of his events. He runs a few events through the country and I make them a priority to go to a few a year.
Checked this one out. Only event in the midwest is at my 'home' track of Road America but it's in the middle of the week which doesn't work for me. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #17
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Good to hear the other side of the story. While I wasn't looking to become an HPDE lifer with them I am comfortable that my 'racing' career will be HPDE as I'm already in 10 years and have no desire to get licensed. They happened to have a convenient date at a track I haven't been to so wanted to get feedback. I'm going to pass based upon the collective feedback including yours.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #18
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear the other side of the story. While I wasn't looking to become an HPDE lifer with them I am comfortable that my 'racing' career will be HPDE as I'm already in 10 years and have no desire to get licensed. They happened to have a convenient date at a track I haven't been to so wanted to get feedback. I'm going to pass based upon the collective feedback including yours.
Yes, nothing worse than spending the time and money on a event and not being happy with it

NASA is really not a good fit for advanced hpde drivers as the 1 and 2 groups are beginner and intermediate, and then advanced is mostly race cars.

This really does not leave room for the person who wants to just do some fast open lapping without someone a few inches off his bumper, or passing him offline at speed. These are things that would get you punted from most hpde groups.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #19
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

I love NASA HPDE 4/ Time trial! First your gridded by time, you all go out without a gap, therefore get 6-7 laps without coming up on a slower car. No point / pass anywhere equals everyone has to watch their mirrors. But I enjoy passing everywhere and being close to other cars doesn't bother me.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #20
MayorAdamWest
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
I love NASA HPDE 4/ Time trial! First your gridded by time, you all go out without a gap, therefore get 6-7 laps without coming up on a slower car. No point / pass anywhere equals everyone has to watch their mirrors. But I enjoy passing everywhere and being close to other cars doesn't bother me.
Trackmasters and HOD generally do that out here and they don't have to deal with the shenanigans of NASA. I really don't know why anyone would do HPDE with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 12:56 AM   #21
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Trackmasters and HOD generally do that out here and they don't have to deal with the shenanigans of NASA. I really don't know why anyone would do HPDE with them.
A person definitely wants to run with a safe organization. I personally avoid any org that does not or can not control wild and unsafe behavior.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 03:25 AM   #22
Twt
Captain
Rep

I think my first experience instructing with NASA sums it up. A guy shows up in a Spec e30 with slicks and tells me he needs me to instruct him at Road Atlanta so he can "race".....problem was, he had never been on a road coarse before,let alone RA , and he just bought the car the week prior and had never driven it!! That was my last time with NASA....and I haven't looked back.
Appreciate 0