BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Discontinuing BMW Assist Renewals

09-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #67
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

So I've got E-Call, Remote Services, and Tele Services which all expire 5/14/2023.

These utilize the bmw assist hardware, correct? So I would need a retrofit? E-Call anyway, right? That's the SOS button? One of these included the stolen vehicle tracking, not sure which one.

just trying to get a better handle on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 06:36 PM   #68
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc647 View Post
So I've got E-Call, Remote Services, and Tele Services which all expire 5/14/2023.

These utilize the bmw assist hardware, correct? So I would need a retrofit? E-Call anyway, right? That's the SOS button? One of these included the stolen vehicle tracking, not sure which one.

just trying to get a better handle on this.
Check your map version on your vehicle.

If it says "North America Next" you have the NBT and need nothing (NBT's are 3G equipped).

If is says "North America Premium" you have the CIC and need a replacement of the Combox with a 3G version when BMW has them available.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #69
kite81
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i xDrive

I have a 2013 528i with NBT that is 3G equipped and was recently told by BMW Genius that: "As of July 1, 2017, BMW will no longer be able to support the BMW Assist services in vehicles with CDMA-based (Code Division Multiple Access) cellular technology. Therefore, BMW Assist Safety and Convenience Services will no longer function in your vehicle at that time. BMW Assist discontinued its renewal notice activities for these vehicles as of August 10, 2015.

At this time, we regret to confirm that BMW is unable to offer a retrofit option to upgrade the hardware to newer hardware. We apologize that, as a result, your vehicle will be unable to receive the Safety and Convenience Services offered by BMW Assist and we sincerely appreciate your previously subscribing to these services.
"

I then called them to ask about the information recently posted in this forum, and they claimed no knowledge of it. I plan to keep calling periodically in hopes that that changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:13 PM   #70
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite81 View Post
I have a 2013 528i with NBT that is 3G equipped and was recently told by BMW Genius that: "As of July 1, 2017, BMW will no longer be able to support the BMW Assist services in vehicles with CDMA-based (Code Division Multiple Access) cellular technology. Therefore, BMW Assist Safety and Convenience Services will no longer function in your vehicle at that time. BMW Assist discontinued its renewal notice activities for these vehicles as of August 10, 2015.

At this time, we regret to confirm that BMW is unable to offer a retrofit option to upgrade the hardware to newer hardware. We apologize that, as a result, your vehicle will be unable to receive the Safety and Convenience Services offered by BMW Assist and we sincerely appreciate your previously subscribing to these services.
"

I then called them to ask about the information recently posted in this forum, and they claimed no knowledge of it. I plan to keep calling periodically in hopes that that changes.
But your car is 3G, and not CDMA, so it does not affect you.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 11:59 PM   #71
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

So I bought my CPO and BMW assist expired sometime shortly after (July 2016)

I saw one post mentioning the dealer not even giving the option to buy the retrofit.

Does anyone have any info on if we could purchase the retrofit and how much it would cost?
      09-22-2016, 05:46 AM   #72
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite81 View Post

"

BMW Geniuses are woefully under informed about anything relating to BMW Assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbread View Post
So I bought my CPO and BMW assist expired sometime shortly after (July 2016)

I saw one post mentioning the dealer not even giving the option to buy the retrofit.

Does anyone have any info on if we could purchase the retrofit and how much it would cost?
BMW hasn't published any of the technical documentation on the retrofit such as part numbers and the like. So there's no information as of yet.

However, even if you managed to swap the physical hardware, you'd still have to convince the BMW Assist people to activate the cellular modem and update their system with the IMEI for your vehicle. Which might be a difficult task.
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50
      10-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #73
opticspen
Rep
Drives: '14 328i base - need mod

Folks, I was notified about the recall when I bring my car in for service, mine is F30 328i 2014 MY (built in 2014 Feb) with telematics

I have CIC with Combox in the trunk, just curious that if this is just swap the combox communication module, or it will change the head unit to NBT.
I would be interested if they change it to NBT, but anyone can shed some light? any TSB out there yet?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #74
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticspen View Post
Folks, I was notified about the recall when I bring my car in for service, mine is F30 328i 2014 MY (built in 2014 Feb) with telematics

I have CIC with Combox in the trunk, just curious that if this is just swap the combox communication module, or it will change the head unit to NBT.
I would be interested if they change it to NBT, but anyone can shed some light? any TSB out there yet?

thanks
Based on this thread ( http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1310884 ), it sounds like just an updated combox retrofit while retaining the CIC but I'm not 100% sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #75
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Based on this thread ( http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1310884 ), it sounds like just an updated combox retrofit while retaining the CIC but I'm not 100% sure.
It's just a replacement Combox. They are *not* replacing the navigation unit itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #76
ChasInMN
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive MSport

Update notification in iDrive

Just an update, because I hadn't heard any news lately, and my dealer was also waiting for updates. I just got a service message this morning that popped up on my iDrive that officially states my car's Assist will be unsupported as of 1/1/2017. It directed me to visit bmwassistoffer.com for details. Visiting that page, it offered four options: 1) a $300 BMW lifestyle/accessories voucher for in-center purchases AND deactivation of existing technology; 2) $200 BMW visa gift card AND deactivation; 3) RETROFIT VEHICLE WITH UPDATED CELLULAR TECHNOLOGY; 4) I no longer own the vehicle. I selected the retrofit option, and it walked me through several pages to send them personal details, and the final page said I'd receive an email with further directions. Not sure what happens next, but at least something is happening. Hope to have this done soon. I've attached screenshots of the pages.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #77
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (comp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasInMN View Post
Just an update, because I hadn't heard any news lately, and my dealer was also waiting for updates. I just got a service message this morning that popped up on my iDrive that officially states my car's Assist will be unsupported as of 1/1/2017. It directed me to visit bmwassistoffer.com for details. Visiting that page, it offered four options: 1) a $300 BMW lifestyle/accessories voucher for in-center purchases AND deactivation of existing technology; 2) $200 BMW visa gift card AND deactivation; 3) RETROFIT VEHICLE WITH UPDATED CELLULAR TECHNOLOGY; 4) I no longer own the vehicle. I selected the retrofit option, and it walked me through several pages to send them personal details, and the final page said I'd receive an email with further directions. Not sure what happens next, but at least something is happening. Hope to have this done soon. I've attached screenshots of the pages.
I own a 2013 135is, and got the same message this morning. I selected the retrofit option too, and I emailed customer service since I wasn't sure what the cost would be (I saw that the renewed subscription costs $200, but it didn't mention anything about hardware upgrade). Hopefully the cost isn't too prohibitive -- I still need to pony up some cash to buy an extended warranty!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #78
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Just filled out the form. Now its a waiting game!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #79
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Got this email from BMW in response to my retrofit request. I've forwarded it to my CA at my local dealership, but have not yet heard back from him...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:29 AM   #80
opticspen
Rep
Drives: '14 328i base - need mod

so really for me I'm almost inclined to take the $200 and call it done

doesn't seems like I need such service at all.

if it's changing everything to NBT head unit, then it's worth it for me.
Anyone complete the retrofit please post some information, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
It's just a replacement Combox. They are *not* replacing the navigation unit itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 08:28 AM   #81
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticspen
so really for me I'm almost inclined to take the $200 and call it done

doesn't seems like I need such service at all.

if it's changing everything to NBT head unit, then it's worth it for me.
Anyone complete the retrofit please post some information, thanks!

Quote:
I have the service bulletin. They are only replacing the combox, not the entire navigation system.

You won't get an NBT at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #82
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCoverRoll View Post
Got this email from BMW in response to my retrofit request. I've forwarded it to my CA at my local dealership, but have not yet heard back from him...
How long did it take to receive the confirmation email after you submitted the form?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #83
angcd3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 xdrive

I got the same email this morning.. trying to decide what to do. I also might take the $200 and call it a day. I don't think i need that service anyway. When I first read it I thought my phone bluetooth wasnt going to work anymore. So this doesnt seem that bad to not have? Unless I'm missing something
      10-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #84
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by angcd3 View Post
I got the same email this morning.. trying to decide what to do. I also might take the $200 and call it a day. I don't think i need that service anyway. When I first read it I thought my phone bluetooth wasnt going to work anymore. So this doesnt seem that bad to not have? Unless I'm missing something
Just means the online services stuff will stop working, won't effect the bluetooth functionality.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #85
angcd3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 xdrive

Quote:
Just means the online services stuff will stop working, won't effect the bluetooth functionality.
Thanks. yeah thats what i thought. I never use any of it anyway. It just came with my CPO when i bought it so i wont even notice it being gone.
      10-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #86
Sydd
Misses His 335iS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Let's say you're an owner with an active subscription, so you're offered the free retrofit, but you decline and opt for the $200 or $300 offers.

Do you think when it comes time to sell/trade that the value will be negatively affected in an appreciable way?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #87
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwaggy View Post
Let's say you're an owner with an active subscription, so you're offered the free retrofit, but you decline and opt for the $200 or $300 offers.

Do you think when it comes time to sell/trade that the value will be negatively affected in an appreciable way?
I guess it depends on the buyer and how important online services are to them.

If you don't accept the retrofit, BMW will not retrofit later. So if the buyer wants online services for the vehicle, they won't be able to get BMW to retrofit it for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #88
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
How long did it take to receive the confirmation email after you submitted the form?
Within a few hours -- I emailed my CA to confirm and he's not yet responded as of this morning. I'll try to give him a call later this afternoon and will update everyone here...
Appreciate 0