BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Heads up! TPMS disabled turning off DSC

02-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #23
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Can you still turn off traction control completely when it senses no TPMS and defaults to comfort mode?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #24
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Anyone knows what happens if we use wheels without TPMS sensors? Will the car throw a code and DSC cannot be turned off?
So, I learned that with the factory wheels I have to reset the TPMS after my warm up lap to run without being stuck in comfort mode. Just put on TR 18 square wheels with no TPMS.....when warning displays I go to reset and it tries to reset , so while it processes I can run in any mode.....it will stay at 0% complete because there are no sensors but I think it will allow me to fool it as long as it is in reset. This worked on the street....this weekend I will be at the track to see if this works on track.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #25
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
" no way of knowing " other than the 5 senses that you were born with...
Lol... That's exactly what I was thinking.... Years ago, I ran paper thin Hoosier slicks and locked a wheel (no abs on race cars of course) - and you didn't get a pass on full race tires. Pop - RF tire was out and I was off mid-corner at full load; scared the crap out of me! Didn't need TPMS to let me know lol. If you can't tell a meaningful pressure change on track due to changes in balance, you aren't driving hard enough to matter anyway.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #26
rgo4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6spd MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
My 2017 M2 gave me all kinds of TPMS fits on my first track weekend. Everything worked fine until Saturday afternoon when I got a high pressure warning, which stuck around the rest of the afternoon despite bleeding some air out before each session. I was able to reset the system on the way home. On Sunday I started at 27psi, got the low pressure warning after a couple laps and was forced into comfort mode. Not sure that made a big impact in my novice lap times! From there I was able to initiate the reset and get back into sport mode for later sessions but finally I got a TPMS malfunction warning and the system still won’t reset. I have even tried a hard reboot of iDrive. Any suggestions for just shutting the damn thing off permanently?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #27
rgo4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6spd MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I was looking into coding and noticed that TPMS can be disabled ( #16), this might be the easiest way to track the car.....as for street use, I drove for 30 years without it and used my right foot and a tire gauge instead.
How do you disable TPMS? Not sure what you mean by #16. Had my first weekend at the track and TPMS was not my friend. I also think I managed to break a sensor as I get the malfunction warning now and can’t get a reset to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #28
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgo4 View Post
How do you disable TPMS? Not sure what you mean by #16. Had my first weekend at the track and TPMS was not my friend. I also think I managed to break a sensor as I get the malfunction warning now and can’t get a reset to work.
Simplest solution is to just take the TPMS sensors out of your wheels if running dedicated track wheels.
      04-30-2021, 01:29 PM   #29
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Hasn't anyone come up with a fake TPMS transponder that will just make the system think all wheels are at 35?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 07:16 AM   #30
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I just reset TPMS at 25psi and never have to worry about it. It no longer complains about lower pressures for track days.
Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      05-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #31
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Reset at 25psi? Didn’t know you could do that. Maybe I will try that next time. The tpms has been finicky, but the last 3 years I’ve been able to figure it out and make it work without the sensor going crazy 2 laps into a session. All while maintaining a 35-36psi hot pressures.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #32
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by booya_45 View Post
Reset at 25psi? Didn’t know you could do that. Maybe I will try that next time. The tpms has been finicky, but the last 3 years I’ve been able to figure it out and make it work without the sensor going crazy 2 laps into a session. All while maintaining a 35-36psi hot pressures.
Yup, the key is you need to warm the tires up quickly so your pressures are above the 27-28psi threshold before the TPMS reset is complete.

Otherwise, the car will drop back into comfort and not allow you to turn DSC off.

Not sure why some guys have so many issues with TPMS. Been doing the reset trick since 2017, and the upside is you get to see tire temp & pressure while you’re on track.
Appreciate 1
Megator517.50
      05-03-2021, 06:55 AM   #33
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Yup, the key is you need to warm the tires up quickly so your pressures are above the 27-28psi threshold before the TPMS reset is complete.

Otherwise, the car will drop back into comfort and not allow you to turn DSC off.

Not sure why some guys have so many issues with TPMS. Been doing the reset trick since 2017, and the upside is you get to see tire temp & pressure while you’re on track.
Same never had issues. Just reset the TPMS before going on track and itll stay in sport+ and DSC off.

I had a blow out and the sensors didnt help since they are always bleeting anyways. The vibration at 100MPH tipped eme off haha.
      05-18-2021, 08:59 PM   #34
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

I code out tpms from my M2c very happy

Pretty sure any professional coder can do it, it's not a diy...

Codemycar.com was able to code it out remotely when i asked too. So it can be an easy and fast option to get tid of the problem

They replace the tpms with the abs method like any other bmw without tpms
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #35
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Like ZM2 and Megator said, reset the TPMS after you've set your cold pressures. If you changed wheels on track, start the reset before going out into the hot pits and let it reset while you drive on track. DSC will stay off. My cold pressures are usually 29-31psi depending on tire, and I've not had an issue so far.

I personally love the tire pressure and temp display as a learning tool while on track. For example, if the fronts are getting too hot (and have a high psi) abs the rears not close enough, I know I need to drive/turn more with the throttle and rear tires. And when the car starts to get greasy, I know exactly what pressure and temp are the limit for those tires, for the next time around. Never had this display in any car, and I like having it on track.
Appreciate 2
ZM22783.50
      05-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #36
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Like ZM2 and Megator said, reset the TPMS after you've set your cold pressures. If you changed wheels on track, start the reset before going out into the hot pits and let it reset while you drive on track. DSC will stay off. My cold pressures are usually 29-31psi depending on tire, and I've not had an issue so far.

I personally love the tire pressure and temp display as a learning tool while on track. For example, if the fronts are getting too hot (and have a high psi) abs the rears not close enough, I know I need to drive/turn more with the throttle and rear tires. And when the car starts to get greasy, I know exactly what pressure and temp are the limit for those tires, for the next time around. Never had this display in any car, and I like having it on track.
And a lot of guys think adjusting pressures once you get back to the paddock is fine. By then your tires have either cooled off from cool down laps or heat soaked from the brakes by the time you park and make it around to all four tires.

Using the iDrive temp/pressure display to note when a particular set of tires is gripping best for the current conditions lets you determine exactly how much to adjust each tire once you come back and park.

There's a reason race cars have tire & temp displays in them...
Appreciate 1
pal433.00
      05-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #37
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

This weekend, I had no issues starting at 31-32 psi in the cool morning but had to drop the cold pressure in the afternoon to 28 due to the left front hitting mid 40s one session. At that point, I got the TPMS warning in the paddock and did a reset before going out on track. No issues from then on.

I agree to use the on-screen TPMS display while on track to monitor pressures. As soon as the tire would get over 40 psi or so, they'd get greasy and I'd have to back off a lap or 2. Most of the time that was the end of the session anyways.
Appreciate 1
pal433.00
      05-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #38
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Would be helpful to include your car year in this thread too. Saw earlier that 2017+ behavior with no TPMS might be different than other years. In my 2018 I've twice had issues where the the traction control intervened (despite having everything turned off) and gave me a low pressure warning on a warm up lap before the reset was complete. I didn't think that was possible.

The electronic nannies on this car are killing me. Would rather have no TPMS data and do it the old fashioned way if I could just guarantee the car will not intervene in ways I don't need/want. Bummer apparently only comfort mode is available in a 2018 when you run no TPMS. I like the better feedback in comfort steering but I think the sport throttle setting does quite a bit behind the scenes to actively mitigate lag etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #39
JustAWhisper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_Clevername View Post
Would be helpful to include your car year in this thread too. Saw earlier that 2017+ behavior with no TPMS might be different than other years. In my 2018 I've twice had issues where the the traction control intervened (despite having everything turned off) and gave me a low pressure warning on a warm up lap before the reset was complete. I didn't think that was possible.

The electronic nannies on this car are killing me. Would rather have no TPMS data and do it the old fashioned way if I could just guarantee the car will not intervene in ways I don't need/want. Bummer apparently only comfort mode is available in a 2018 when you run no TPMS. I like the better feedback in comfort steering but I think the sport throttle setting does quite a bit behind the scenes to actively mitigate lag etc.
If you just remove the TPMS sensors then you won't have any interventions. I have a 2018 and I run a separate set of wheels for autocross with no TPMS sensors and have zero problems. The car activates a warning when no sensors are detected but it does nothing to prevent you from going into DSC OFF mode. Put the street wheels back on and the warning goes away after a couple minutes, no reset required.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #40
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAWhisper View Post
If you just remove the TPMS sensors then you won't have any interventions. I have a 2018 and I run a separate set of wheels for autocross with no TPMS sensors and have zero problems. The car activates a warning when no sensors are detected but it does nothing to prevent you from going into DSC OFF mode. Put the street wheels back on and the warning goes away after a couple minutes, no reset required.
Good to know. What driver mode does the car enter with no TPMS and DSC/Traction full off? With TMPS it is Sport. I've read that it's Comfort with no TMPS. Can you confirm? I like sport throttle, I find it easier to be smooth. Which is counterintuitive and probably down to how the car is keeping boost levels up for you behind the scenes.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #41
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
This weekend, I had no issues starting at 31-32 psi in the cool morning but had to drop the cold pressure in the afternoon to 28 due to the left front hitting mid 40s one session. At that point, I got the TPMS warning in the paddock and did a reset before going out on track. No issues from then on.

I agree to use the on-screen TPMS display while on track to monitor pressures. As soon as the tire would get over 40 psi or so, they'd get greasy and I'd have to back off a lap or 2. Most of the time that was the end of the session anyways.
So, it would appear that 28psi is the threashold??

So happy to have found this thread and thanks everyone for your contribution.
I get my car next week and will be tracking it soon.
I would definitely have been caught out by this.

I think I'll program a shortcut button for the reset.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:37 PM   #42
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Anyone running track wheels w/o TPMS sensors & TPMS not coded out??

Is it possible to still run TPMS with street wheels & not on track wheels.
Would this have the same issue of kicking you back to comfort?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:31 PM   #43
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Yes. I, and many others run track wheels without TPMS coded out.

Yes. It is possible to swap back and forth. When the system sees the sensors again, it will dismiss the warning indicators.

No. It will not kick you back into comfort. Neither my M2 Competition nor my old LCI M2 would do this.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50
      12-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #44
blacksh33p
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Adding to this as well and can confirm my 18 LCI with track/winter wheels and no tpms sensors AND tpms NOT coded out work fine in all modes, just the annoying reminders present that TPMS malfunctioned.
Appreciate 0