BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Sidelights coming on randomly with unattended car

01-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Sidelights coming on randomly with unattended car

Hi all

First BMW and only had it less than a week.

Twice now my Dad has gone out to the garage about 2 hours after I've got home... And the front and rear side lights (daytime running lights) have been on.

Light switch in auto position, and when I lock the car and leave it - all lights are off, so they're coming on afterwards for some reason.

Anyone had this before?

The only thing I can think of is that the two times this has happened, as best as I can remember, I have shut the engine AFTER getting out of the car. So I opened door, got out to check my parking position, closed it, then shut the engine through the open window and closed the window with comfort locking (holding the lock button).

Seems strange that situation would cause it to put the lights on after an hour or so though... But that's all I can think that I've done differently on those two days.

Any thoughts anyone?

When I'm off work I'll test and try to recreate it and see if the above is indeed causing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I tried again shutting the engine through the open window and locking the car - the lights remained on and never went off. I think it is simply a case of the car getting confused as it is an unusual order of events.

I got in then and the radio screen was still on (as I think it thought that I hadn't yet really got out of the car since the engine went off) - hence the lights being on.

I'll try and avoid that strange sequence of events and see if the problem goes away
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post
Hi all

First BMW and only had it less than a week.

Twice now my Dad has gone out to the garage about 2 hours after I've got home... And the front and rear side lights (daytime running lights) have been on.

Light switch in auto position, and when I lock the car and leave it - all lights are off, so they're coming on afterwards for some reason.

Anyone had this before?

The only thing I can think of is that the two times this has happened, as best as I can remember, I have shut the engine AFTER getting out of the car. So I opened door, got out to check my parking position, closed it, then shut the engine through the open window and closed the window with comfort locking (holding the lock button).

Seems strange that situation would cause it to put the lights on after an hour or so though... But that's all I can think that I've done differently on those two days.

Any thoughts anyone?

When I'm off work I'll test and try to recreate it and see if the above is indeed causing it.
I push the button once to turn off the engine and once to turn off the radio, lights, etc. or once to turn off the engine, get out of the car, and lock it which turns off the radio, lights, etc. If I don't do two steps, they stay on until they time out.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
LinkF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' MG F87 M2

Sounds like you are not turning the car off all the way. In my car, with foot off of the brake, I press the on/off button once to turn off the engine and a second time to turn off the accessory power.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I think it is just something strange like that. Strange it would allow me to lock the car though if that's the case if it is still 'on' in some way.

What I'm doing is pressing it (usually twice is required) with foot off the brake until it goes into Park on the DCT and then everything seems off.

I think what is / was confusing it was me turning it off through the window on the two days I've had the issue - as it doesn't think I've got 'out' of the car yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post
Yeah I think it is just something strange like that. Strange it would allow me to lock the car though if that's the case if it is still 'on' in some way.

What I'm doing is pressing it (usually twice is required) with foot off the brake until it goes into Park on the DCT and then everything seems off.

I think what is / was confusing it was me turning it off through the window on the two days I've had the issue - as it doesn't think I've got 'out' of the car yet.
For me it's once with foot on brake, once with foot off brake. If I do twice with foot on brake the engine will start again.

Also I coded it so if the engine is off and I open the door it turns the car off, so I really only have to hit the button once.
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Is ur turn signal stalk on? We have a roadside parking feature I think . Check ur manual on this
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
Is ur turn signal stalk on? We have a roadside parking feature I think . Check ur manual on this
No not intentionally.

I will keep an eye on it.

Parking feature is usually one side only, this is both front and rear lights on (front is side/angel eyes only)
Appreciate 0