BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > TCK coilovers/camber plate

05-01-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
Dozer324
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

TCK coilovers/camber plate

So I just recently had tc Kline coilover kit installed on my 2018 m2. This also included two new adjustable sway bar links, and the tck camber plates. This is my first time upgrading suspension on a car.

The ride surprisingly to me was smoother, along with being far more responsive and planted through the turns. I’m looking forward to getting the car corner balanced and some summer rubber pit on to really see the grip level the car can produce now.

With that being said, I do have some questions regarding the kit, mainly about noises that are new to the car and setup. I’m not here to complain, if the noises are normal that’s fine by me. I have read the camber plates can introduce noise to the cabin of the car. The noise I hear is most pronounced at slow speed going over harsh bumps. It’s a click, clunk clank type noise but when I checked to see if something was loose there was nothing I noticed. When the suspension arrived the sway bar links were delayed a week. Since I needed my car I drove it without the sway bar connected on one side. Once the adjustable links were installed the noise was louder and more frequent. So I’m either thinking it’s sway bar related or the camber plates, which everyone says the noise from coilover kits comes from.

I just picked up the car yesterday so I’m definitely going to check with the shop on Monday and see what they say. My other is it could it be setup related and maybe there is too much camber or ride height to low causing the noise.

I’ll add some pictures shortly.
Thanks.

Last edited by Dozer324; 05-01-2022 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 07:48 AM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

From my research that's more of a specific type of suspension thing, as well as being caused by camber plates. I ended up going with the MPS and have no additional noise, except some clicking upon hard cornering (even though the pinch bolts were replaced and torqued properly).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #3
Dozer324
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
From my research that's more of a specific type of suspension thing, as well as being caused by camber plates. I ended up going with the MPS and have no additional noise, except some clicking upon hard cornering (even though the pinch bolts were replaced and torqued properly).
Yes, looking for others experience specific with tck. I changed the title. I guess I’m looking to see what would be considered normal noise or not.

Cabin noise from the road would be expected, but that is not what I’m referring to. Maybe I can get some video of the noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 09:26 AM   #4
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer324 View Post
Yes, looking for others experience specific with tck. I changed the title. I guess I’m looking to see what would be considered normal noise or not.

Cabin noise from the road would be expected, but that is not what I’m referring to. Maybe I can get some video of the noise.
I would give TC a call. I know low speed noise is not uncommon, but he will be able to tell you what is or isn’t normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #5
Dozer324
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I would give TC a call. I know low speed noise is not uncommon, but he will be able to tell you what is or isn’t normal.
Going to do that first thing Monday. The owner was so helpful prior to ordering.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: old: E90 335i E46 M3 new: M2C

Did you get the dual adjustable front & rear or the single adjustable front/ dual adjustable rear kit? The dual adjustable fronts tends to make more noise at low speed bumps.
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      05-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #7
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinewhiteM2C View Post
Did you get the dual adjustable front & rear or the single adjustable front/ dual adjustable rear kit? The dual adjustable fronts tends to make more noise at low speed bumps.
Wondering this as well. I have a TCK kit going in this week so I’ll report my experience here. I have the “quieter” single adjustable fronts for what it’s worth.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #8
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Putting the TCKR suspension on my M2C in the next coming weeks. Will report back about noises.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 02:03 PM   #9
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

DA fronts are known to be noisy. A common kit is to use SA front and DA rears. You will also get increase in NVH with camber plates. If you the click and slight clunk is only limited to low vehicle speeds, you are good to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:58 AM   #10
Dozer324
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
DA fronts are known to be noisy. A common kit is to use SA front and DA rears. You will also get increase in NVH with camber plates. If you the click and slight clunk is only limited to low vehicle speeds, you are good to go.
Yes, I got the SA front and DA rear. The car drives great so I’m not too worried.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:50 AM   #11
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I 've been running the SA front DA rear kit with the camber plates (no sways) for over a year and I don't recall experiencing those noises you've described at low speeds over harsh bumps. However a recording would be great if you've got one and I can tell you for sure if I've experienced similar sounds or not. However, it could be just increase of noise due to the camber plates. The worst noise is at high speeds over uneven metal expansion joints on highways. Sounds like a harsh metal on metal impact noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 08:28 AM   #12
Dozer324
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
I 've been running the SA front DA rear kit with the camber plates (no sways) for over a year and I don't recall experiencing those noises you've described at low speeds over harsh bumps. However a recording would be great if you've got one and I can tell you for sure if I've experienced similar sounds or not. However, it could be just increase of noise due to the camber plates. The worst noise is at high speeds over uneven metal expansion joints on highways. Sounds like a harsh metal on metal impact noise.
The sound I’m describing is most noticeable at low speeds but does occur at higher speeds just not as often as once I get on the main roads they are much better condition than around my neighborhood.

The harsh metal to metal type sound you hear I’m guessing is the same sound I’m hearing, but I will try to get a video.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:07 AM   #13
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
The sound I’m describing is most noticeable at low speeds but does occur at higher speeds just not as often as once I get on the main roads they are much better condition than around my neighborhood.

The harsh metal to metal type sound you hear I’m guessing is the same sound I’m hearing, but I will try to get a video.
If you are getting clunking at high speeds, check your sway bar end links and strut top nuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #14
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

I'm going to start by saying that I think its a coilover thing. Not that there are defects with the coilover but a noise as a result of just having coilovers. I have KW V3's with GC camber plates and I am experiencing the exact noise going over bumps at low speed or dips at high speed. I have taken off the camber plates and that noise goes down significantly but not completely away. Everything is solid and tight and car handles like a dream. I'm going to tinker with the dampening to see if anything helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #15
Dozer324
Private
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 06:33 AM   #16
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I do not have those noises.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #17
Dozer324
Private
Rep

Quote:
I do not have those noises.
Do you have adjustable sway bar end links? Once they were installed the noises started. Nothing seems to be loose.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 08:57 AM   #18
echoshotz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I had noises like these develop on my TCK setup some miles in. I tightened the camber/toe eccentrics, the lower shock mounting bolt, and used the correct swayer end link washers TC Kline provided all in one go, and the noises went away, forever. Not sure which of the things was the culprit but you may want to check essentially all the bolts that were touched during install. I definitely thought my noise was up front but I did more bolt checks in the rear. But since I did it all at the same time I'm not sure what fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 09:06 AM   #19
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: old: E90 335i E46 M3 new: M2C

Based on your video, sounds like you have some play/ movement in the camber plates/ strut connection areas as it sounds similar to when the strut top nuts on my Ohlins in a previous car was not torqued down properly. Perhaps strut top nuts needs to be re-torqued. It's either that or some play in the end links as HP Autosport pointed out.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 11:07 AM   #20
riko///m2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E46 M3, AW F87 M2, Model 3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [9.90]
2017 BMW m2   [9.75]
It sounds like there is some play between the front struts and camber plates. Tighten the top bolts of the Koni struts. Real tight(proper torque). Also, apply few drops of red locktite.

I added helper springs in my set up for tighter fit.
Attached Images

05-07-2022, 02:16 PM   #21
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riko///m2 View Post
It sounds like there is some play between the front struts and camber plates. Tighten the top bolts of the Koni struts. Real tight(proper torque). Also, apply few drops of red locktite.

I added helper springs in my set up for tighter fit.
Can you expound on the helper springs you added? From where? What impact do these have beyond tightening up the fit?

We’re you getting noise like this prior?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #22
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I 've been running the SA front DA rear kit with the camber plates (no sways) for over a year and I don't recall experiencing those noises you've described at low speeds over harsh bumps.
When you say no sways did you remove sway bars or are you saying no aftermarket endlinks?
Appreciate 0