BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > New addition

08-15-2022, 08:26 PM   #1
Rob495
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 Manual M3

New addition

Hey guys, the last 3 years have been an epic journey in my automotive life. Started out with a 2019 Civic Type R, moved to a manual 2020 M2 Comp (Sunset Orange), then to a 2021 manual base G80, and now I managed to pick up this little beast below:

Sorry for the water mark. The M2 Comp was an incredible car, wish I still had it! Just needed more rear room for the kids.

Now on to Atom. I was completely SHOCKED at the Atom's rawness! The constant squeaks, rattles, vibrations, and ringing results in a cacophony that is unrivaled in any of my transportation experiences, which includes all manners of trains, cars (Shelby Cobra), a farm tractor, an old school 18 wheeler (no air suspension), boats, aircraft (Cessna), steam and diesel powered locomotives, and falling down a mountain in a human sized tin can filled with pennies. If you can get past that (usually with hearing protection), the Atom 3 (Supercharged Honda K Motor) is automotive nirvana. Zero layers of isolation. There is just you and the road. No safety nannies, no airbags, no ABS, just a screaming engine, a great 6 speed gearbox, and an LSD. Acceleration is violent and immediate. If you are at 4K and up, the car just explodes as you hit the throttle. I cant keep up with the tach because it revs so damn fast. I have to shift on sound because I don't dare take my eyes off the road. I'm shocked at the extremely low center of gravity. Cornering is unlike any other car I've driven, primarily because of the extreme light weight (I think 1200 lbs?) and grippy tires (R888). Braking is scary, its sooooo easy to lock up the tires. Highway driving = huge pucker factor!! Higher speeds results in alot of steering correction, I attribute this to the short wheelbase. Speaking of steering, I LOVE no power/electric steering. It's crazy how much the road talks to you, how much information you are missing out by having modern steering. Another surprising CON is the turning radius. It's abysmal, comparable to a small pickup truck! I'll report later when I get more seat time!

Last edited by Rob495; 08-15-2022 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 4
Davil6524.50
///M TOWN16536.00
GjXray111.50
      09-12-2022, 12:59 PM   #2
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Sounds like some hilariously fun motoring. Any vids?!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 06:41 AM   #3
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

You got the F1 style Atom kit, looks amazing
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16536.00