BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Sun Protection Glass

08-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Sun Protection Glass

Markets outside the US (UK, Germany for example) can add an option for "Sun Protection Glass". Darkened rear and rear-side windows. This is true of most (all?) models, not just M2.

Is there a US regulation that disallows this option? I'd sure prefer that to having to tint them on my own in the aftermarket. And all the X trucks have the darkened glass by default.

Also curious for those of you in the market where you can order this -- is it tinted glass (like on the X vehicles), or a film applied on the interior surface of the glass?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 03:00 AM   #2
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' M2 LCI, 21' X4 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
Markets outside the US (UK, Germany for example) can add an option for "Sun Protection Glass". Darkened rear and rear-side windows. This is true of most (all?) models, not just M2.

Is there a US regulation that disallows this option? I'd sure prefer that to having to tint them on my own in the aftermarket. And all the X trucks have the darkened glass by default.

Also curious for those of you in the market where you can order this -- is it tinted glass (like on the X vehicles), or a film applied on the interior surface of the glass?
Based in Australia, it's avail here as an option. Haven't got my car yet, but I think it's the glass itself that's tinted, not a film applied on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Presumably the tint is too dark for some state regulations and thus isn't worth the hassle for BMW to try to offer as an option in specific states.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Presumably the tint is too dark for some state regulations and thus isn't worth the hassle for BMW to try to offer as an option in specific states.
Yes, I suspect you're right. That is my hunch too. Although my guess is that it's a US DOT regulation. But then you look at the X1/X3/X4/X5/X6 and see those standard-equipment, tinted rear side windows - and very dark rear window - and wonder why, then, don't those same regulations apply to them?

Is the answer something lame like: The X vehicles aren't subject to the same restriction because they're classified as trucks (not automobiles) by the DOT. And as such they can have tinted windows, but the automobiles can't?

I bet it is - and if it is - that is truly stupid.

Remember those "diving board" 5-mph bumpers that the DOT required in '73, '74? Trucks weren't required to have those either. Stupid. Especially considering that the number 1 best selling car in the US is a pick-up truck.

Ok - I'll stop ranting now - but I do feel better having ranted.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
Yes, I suspect you're right. That is my hunch too. Although my guess is that it's a US DOT regulation. But then you look at the X1/X3/X4/X5/X6 and see those standard-equipment, tinted rear side windows - and very dark rear window - and wonder why, then, don't those same regulations apply to them?

Is the answer something lame like: The X vehicles aren't subject to the same restriction because they're classified as trucks (not automobiles) by the DOT. And as such they can have tinted windows, but the automobiles can't?

I bet it is - and if it is - that is truly stupid.

Remember those "diving board" 5-mph bumpers that the DOT required in '73, '74? Trucks weren't required to have those either. Stupid. Especially considering that the number 1 best selling car in the US is a pick-up truck.

Ok - I'll stop ranting now - but I do feel better having ranted.
There are no DOT regulations on rear tint, it's left up to the states. Not sure about front window tint (which AFAIK is illegal everywhere, but it may just be from all states having laws about it).
This is all that the DOT / FMVSS has to say about windows on non-commercial vehicles.

Commercial trucks do have some additional rules, but they don't apply to passenger stuff.

For example, Ohio allows unlimited level of tint on all windows behind the driver. Front side windows are limited to 50% tint (which is silly since it hardly does anything).

The one that's driving me nuts is the inability to get the 40-20-40 rear seatbacks - they are standard equipment in Canada, an option in some parts of ROW, but not even an option in the US. I can't imagine it's crash related, so I suspect it's just cost cutting. I'd even pay extra for the damn things if I had to... I just don't want to have to try to track down and source the part numbers post-purchase and then also be stuck with a set of 50-50 seatbacks I don't need.

Last edited by ZPrime; 08-10-2017 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There are no DOT regulations on side/rear tint, it's left up to the states. Not sure about front window tint (which AFAIK is illegal everywhere, but it may just be from all states having laws about it).

For example, Ohio allows unlimited level of tint on all windows behind the driver. Front side windows are limited to 50% tint (which is silly since it hardly does anything).

The one that's driving me nuts is the inability to get the 40-20-40 rear seatbacks - they are standard equipment in Canada, an option in some parts of ROW, but not even an option in the US. I can't imagine it's crash related, so I suspect it's just cost cutting. I'd even pay extra for the damn things if I had to... I just don't want to have to try to track down and source the part numbers post-purchase and then also be stuck with a set of 50-50 seatbacks I don't need.
I'm with you - I'd love to have the 40-20-40 setbacks as well.

So why do you suppose the X vehicles can have the tinted windows, but the cars can't? Seems to be the case with all manufacturers in the US - the SUVs have the the tinted windows, but the cars don't. Do you think it's a "auto" vs "truck" classification thing? Drives me crazy.

The US market is restricted quite a bit by BMW NA choosing the configuarations to sell here - and as annoying as it is that we can't pick some options, and are forced to have others (like having to have lane-departure nanny just to get a heated steering wheel) - I think we should count our blessings ... as far as I can tell, the cost of the M2 in the US is, relatively, quite inexpensive as compared to markets in ROW.
Appreciate 1
Hankdoll135.50
      08-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #7
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_tint

No idea why they don't put it on cars.

OTOH, a good film can often be better than factory tint. You can get films that reject IR (heat); a lot of factory glazing, tinted or not, won't do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #8
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_tint

No idea why they don't put it on cars.

OTOH, a good film can often be better than factory tint. You can get films that reject IR (heat); a lot of factory glazing, tinted or not, won't do that.
Interesting.

The bmw.de website calls it "solar control glazing" - but doesn't offer any detail about UV protection - just says "In addition to the reduction of solar radiation and thus the reduction of the heating of the vehicle interior, the sun protection glazing sets an optical accent."

So hard to know what it really is ... I'll just resign myself to having to do the tinting myself after the car arrives.

BTW - my 2016 M235i has 60/40 rear setbacks (not 50/50) - I assume the M2 (US) will be the same. No fold down rear arm-rest - so no chance for ski-pass-through or rear cupholders. That is indeed an unfortunate limitation to the US spec-sheet.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 12:12 AM   #9
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Eh, 60/40 or 50/50, same general concept. I appreciate the info though.

No putting hockey sticks, skis, or "fish sticks" (long fiberglass rods used to help run wires in ceilings & walls) into the car without losing an entire passenger spot... and loss of two extra cupholders.
Appreciate 0