BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > New BMW M2 vs Used Porsche 991

03-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #23
Click821
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 Long beach Blue MT

As much as I lust for a 911, Id need to go for an M2 here. For around 60k, I feel like you'd get a base bones car with quite a few miles on it and no warranty.

Side note, a 991 GT3 of any type is magical, a car of legend and belongs on a podium.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #24
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
I had the same predicament almost a year ago. It was a cpo '15 911 (base) with every option I wanted. I opted for the M2 since it was still 10k cheaper. It's a nice car but it just doesn't have the same appeal as the 991 does for me. The M2 is a perfect DD though. I would feel bad putting these kind of miles on the Porsche.

I would only consider a cpo though.
      03-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #25
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

I would like to see comments by owners on the cost of owning/maintaining an out of warranty 911. My perception is that the purchase price is less than half the battle.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #26
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

i will chime in...

i'm a former owner of a 997.2 GT3. yes, former. and i am still pretty sad about letting her go. if you think non 911s are swell, 911 GT cars are a significant level above, in terms of pure driving pleasure.

there is alot of emotive bias with a 911 GT3. objectively, it makes little sense. as a daily, the shocks are valved pretty stiff; makes for flat cornering but, you can feel the undulations in driving over an expansion joint. small gas tank, 12 avg mpg driven spiritedly, and obstructive rear wing. not to mention, being mindful of front lip scrapes over inclines and declines.

subjectively, it's otherworldly. the visceral connectivity with the car and the pavement borders on telepathy. the howl and pull of the engine from 5500 to 8500 redline (in the 997.2 mezger) is sensational. i've never turned the radio on during my ownership. it's clear that while behind the wheel, objectivity takes a backseat (but there's none)

so why did I get rid of it?

i will preface all of what i am about to say is 1st world problems...
i think i got caught up in the valuation, GT cars as collector value. i'm lucky to have a job that pays well, but it was (and still is) alot of money tied up into A car. i was always, to the point of withering levels of, stressed about "something" happening to it. either getting dinged while parked, getting dinged while driving. i don't have a garage (my HOA doesn't allow them, another story), so i was always keeping it covered. had to be super on top of paint maintenance. all being mindful of valuation. while i had great insurance, and if damaged, could be made whole, the valuation of the car would take a dump.

those aspects really took a chunk out of the joys of ownership. while, i have a kiddie hauler 4-door truck for my kids, i missed having a backseat so i could bring them with me to cars&coffee and share my love of motorsports.

i decided it wasn't the right time in my life for a 911 GT car. so i decided to step out while the used market was still favorable, and "step down" to a M2. and i personally don't mean that in a negative way, but a car with a high fun level and low(er) stress.

along the same lines, i've hung on doggedly to my E36 M3. i think, because it all fun and zero stress.

hope this made some semblance of sense.

i will own a Porsche GT-car again someday, but when the time is right, and it will be an RS.

Last edited by chillindrdude; 03-07-2017 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 4
      03-07-2017, 10:25 PM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
i will own a Porsche GT-car again someday, but when the time is right, and it will be an RS.
Or get the new GT3.

03-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #28
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
I would like to see comments by owners on the cost of owning/maintaining an out of warranty 911. My perception is that the purchase price is less than half the battle.
I know the PDK is a non-serviceable part and it's over 17k plus freight. And that's sitting on a pallet.

Still want one.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #29
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Or get the new GT3.
I'm like #5 at premier dealer. Maybe no chance before the new platform.

9000RPM Finally a N/A engine that smokes the S2k hp/cc. Been too long
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #30
thereisnoSub
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 911TurboS

Hands down - buy the Porsche
Its a Porsche
It is better
There is no substitute

If you cant afford the 911 borrow more money, sell another car, roll your quarters, stop drinking Starbucks, dont go on vacation this year...make it work!!
Appreciate 4
scoale682.00
termigni1081.00
      03-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #31
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

I was having the same debate. My 1M being very rare cause me a lot of headache on day to day driving. In Canada the price difference is even greater between the M2 and the 911 an M2 is more or less 64000$ when a cpo 2012 991 base carrera is 85-90000$ I wanted something new so I was leaning toward the 911 but it is getting harder and harder to justify the price difference.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #32
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
I had the same predicament almost a year ago. It was a cpo '15 911 (base) with every option I wanted. I opted for the M2 since it was still 10k cheaper. It's a nice car but it just doesn't have the same appeal as the 991 does for me. The M2 is a perfect DD though. I would feel bad putting these kind of miles on the Porsche.

I would only consider a cpo though.

Porsche dreams BMW reality !

+1 on CPO.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #33
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I recommend both . Seriously, though, I do understand the valuation issue. My 930's value has gone through the roof over the last 5 years. It seems to be well over 100 grand now, from what I've read, and been told by car dealers. One dealer in rare cars actually stopped me at a traffic light, pulled over, asked questions about the car and offered me 100 grand on the spot. I bought it in the early 90's for under 30. Of course, I've since dumped more money into the thing than could possibly be rational to hop it up right, but at least I know now that I could make that money back.

Still, it is a weird feeling sometimes to drive that car. I have to make myself forget its "value" and enjoy it for what it is. That is not an effort with the M2, bless its heart.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #34
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I've been a BMW guy the past 7-8 years and have had multiple N55 vehicles, among others, in my garage during that time span. Love that motor but have yet to experience it in the M2.

That being said, I just made the shift from a loaded 335i rwd Msport to a lightly used 997.2 S Coupe. Won't go into why I went with a 997.2 vs a 991.1 but at the end of the day I felt the 997.2 was the perfect Porsche for my needs.

What makes the Porsche feel special compared to M235 or 335i (again, haven't driven an M2) is the entire driving experience and quality that does not exist in a 2 or 3 series. My 335i, while quick, was so clinical and lacked emotion. The interior is no where near the quality of the Porsche, especially in full leather trim like I was fortunate enough to find. Then there is that unique feeling of having the motor in the rear, the mechanical sounds from the gear changes, and then oversteering into a tree ;-).

I don't DD the 911 so I think that plays into the decision as well. If I was going to DD the M2 would be attractive I suppose. Other thing to consider is I see 2 series on the road like 10-15 times a day, even see M2's around my area. They all look pretty much the same to the untrained eye. The Porsche draws attention every where I drive it, that is something I hadn't considered or was prepared for. I've had the 911 for a couple months now, hardly driven it and have gotten compliments from strangers on a regular basis. I never had that in any of the BMWs I've owned. The M2 is a good performance coupe if you want to blend in with the crowd.

The last thing to consider is depreciation if you are buying. The 'base' M2s will drop like a rock in the price department over the next couple years as BMW introduces other M2 variants while the lightly used 911's have already been slapped with the depreciation.
Appreciate 1
mau0.00
      03-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #35
soco352
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (On Order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post

I don't DD the 911 so I think that plays into the decision as well. If I was going to DD the M2 would be attractive I suppose. Other thing to consider is I see 2 series on the road like 10-15 times a day, even see M2's around my area. They all look pretty much the same to the untrained eye. The Porsche draws attention every where I drive it, that is something I hadn't considered or was prepared for. I've had the 911 for a couple months now, hardly driven it and have gotten compliments from strangers on a regular basis. I never had that in any of the BMWs I've owned. The M2 is a good performance coupe if you want to blend in with the crowd.

The last thing to consider is depreciation if you are buying. The 'base' M2s will drop like a rock in the price department over the next couple years as BMW introduces other M2 variants while the lightly used 911's have already been slapped with the depreciation.

Interesting opinion. In my area porsches are everywhere and I have yet to see an m2 on the road here. While I agree I would buy any 911C2S above a m2 I think the lbb m2 has more pop than a Porsche that's had the same overall shape for how years now?

As far as depreciation you're right there. Porsches are the hot cars right now with many models actually slowly appreciating.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:46 PM   #36
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
I was having the same debate. My 1M being very rare cause me a lot of headache on day to day driving. In Canada the price difference is even greater between the M2 and the 911 an M2 is more or less 64000$ when a cpo 2012 991 base carrera is 85-90000$ I wanted something new so I was leaning toward the 911 but it is getting harder and harder to justify the price difference.
No way I could drive mine daily. I definitely am a little concerned when driving it.

1M Tex does daily ...

I sometimes wish I would daily drive my car aside from driving events , I'm mostly happy when it's home safe !
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #37
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by soco352 View Post
Interesting opinion. In my area porsches are everywhere and I have yet to see an m2 on the road here. While I agree I would buy any 911C2S above a m2 I think the lbb m2 has more pop than a Porsche that's had the same overall shape for how years now?

As far as depreciation you're right there. Porsches are the hot cars right now with many models actually slowly appreciating.
Good point / clarification on location. I kept a close eye on the 911 used car market and CA, FL, CHI, Denver were definitely the hot spots. I bet in those locations you'd see 911's frequently. Here in SW Ohio I get excited when I see another 911 on the road!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #38
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
No way I could drive mine daily. I definitely am a little concerned when driving it.

1M Tex does daily ...

I sometimes wish I would daily drive my car aside from driving events , I'm mostly happy when it's home safe !
I feel pretty much the same about the 1M, that's why my 328d is doing the dirty work.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #39
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
i will chime in...

i'm a former owner of a 997.2 GT3. yes, former. and i am still pretty sad about letting her go. if you think non 911s are swell, 911 GT cars are a significant level above, in terms of pure driving pleasure.

there is alot of emotive bias with a 911 GT3. objectively, it makes little sense. as a daily, the shocks are valved pretty stiff; makes for flat cornering but, you can feel the undulations in driving over an expansion joint. small gas tank, 12 avg mpg driven spiritedly, and obstructive rear wing. not to mention, being mindful of front lip scrapes over inclines and declines.

subjectively, it's otherworldly. the visceral connectivity with the car and the pavement borders on telepathy. the howl and pull of the engine from 5500 to 8500 redline (in the 997.2 mezger) is sensational. i've never turned the radio on during my ownership. it's clear that while behind the wheel, objectivity takes a backseat (but there's none)

so why did I get rid of it?

i will preface all of what i am about to say is 1st world problems...
i think i got caught up in the valuation, GT cars as collector value. i'm lucky to have a job that pays well, but it was (and still is) alot of money tied up into A car. i was always, to the point of withering levels of, stressed about "something" happening to it. either getting dinged while parked, getting dinged while driving. i don't have a garage (my HOA doesn't allow them, another story), so i was always keeping it covered. had to be super on top of paint maintenance. all being mindful of valuation. while i had great insurance, and if damaged, could be made whole, the valuation of the car would take a dump.

those aspects really took a chunk out of the joys of ownership. while, i have a kiddie hauler 4-door truck for my kids, i missed having a backseat so i could bring them with me to cars&coffee and share my love of motorsports.

i decided it wasn't the right time in my life for a 911 GT car. so i decided to step out while the used market was still favorable, and "step down" to a M2. and i personally don't mean that in a negative way, but a car with a high fun level and low(er) stress.

along the same lines, i've hung on doggedly to my E36 M3. i think, because it all fun and zero stress.

hope this made some semblance of sense.

That's too bad. At least you came out ahead financially, since resale will likely be affected by the return of the 6MT GT3. It's a bucket list car for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 12:16 AM   #40
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soco352 View Post

Good point / clarification on location. I kept a close eye on the 911 used car market and CA, FL, CHI, Denver were definitely the hot spots. I bet in those locations you'd see 911's frequently. Here in SW Ohio I get excited when I see another 911 on the road!
It seems that the number of 911s on Pacific Coast Highway from Santa Monica north seems to have dwindled as the number of Teslas seems to have proportionally increased. :
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #41
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
That's too bad. At least you came out ahead financially, since resale will likely be affected by the return of the 6MT GT3. It's a bucket list car for sure.
Nope, not quite that lucky. Lost money.

But better to have loved than not loved at all.
      03-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #42
Lacroix1
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MG

I had the same dilemma as I had a budget of about $60K to spend. I ended up with the M2 and don't regret it at all. For me, the M2 proved to be a phenomenal car both performance and uniqueness. I have so much love for the 911 and I'll get one someday but with my current budget, I didn't want to settle for a used, base 991.1 so the M2 made perfect sense to me. Also, after I did a lot of research on the 991, I found that to change an air filter, you need to remove the entire rear bumper, I thought this was a odd, hence, cost to operate will be much higher.

Simply put, economically speaking, your situation maybe different than mine so if $$$ is not an object, go for the LEGEND of all sports cars, the 911.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #43
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Interesting thread, and a subject I wrestle with regularly. I'm by no means a Porsche fan, and for me to actually starting to consider one, after being a BMW enthusiast for all my life is saying something. It is like stepping over to the dark side. I have to admit the new 991 stirs something in me like no other 911 in a long time. It finally looks the part again and with the engine having continuously been moved fwd over the years, it appears that these cars finally have lost their throttle off over steer characteristic.

Yes, practicality and value go to the M2. However, for me neither car would be my daily driver and more of a track/weekend car, so the practicality is not a factor.

Over the years I have come to realize that the price is not the only factor in value. What's more important is depreciation. Since very few of us own these cars for more than 3-5 years, you have to really look at it from that perspective. How much does it cost you to own it for that time period? In theory a new M2 would depreciate more than a used 991, but in reality the M2 is pretty limited, for now, and might do a lot better than your average new car. Just look at the 1M. Yes, they are very limited, but unless they start building the M2 in higher numbers over the years, you can expect above average values, even on 3-4 year old cars.

For me the 991 gets the nod on looks and status. I'm not really in love with the M2 looks wise and the 991 is gorgeous in that regard. And a Porsche is a Porsche, no comparison to a 2-series in status.....if that sort of thing is important to you.

Performance wise the 991 should also have an edge. Lower CG, more hp and fatter tires.

Last edited by norMcal; 05-13-2017 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #44
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

It really depends on budget and what you use the car for

The 911 is undoubtedly the better car to drive if you track, or put a priority on sound, feel and handling. The dedicated sports car chassis and light weight cannot be matched by the m2.

That said, the 911 is small as hell and is not practical at all. It would be a horrible dd unless you are single and even then...

The m2 is cheapwr and a great value, just like the 1m.

I considered the m2, but am now making the transition to a daily driver and separate fun car and could afford the 991.1s, so I went with the 911.

Both cars have their place depending on needs. But the even the 991.1 911 cannot be beaten by the m2 for true sports car performance.
Appreciate 0