BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Sport Cup 2 Standard Equipement?

08-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB MT

Sport Cup 2 Standard Equipement?

My car was delivered in Munich with 4 MPSS to my delight. However one of the wheels and tire was replaced at the port due to some EU damage (TY BMW Insurance!!).

Fast forward 6 weeks later and I take re-delivery, super excited about the new wheel and didn't think twice about the tire until half way home (purchased out of state) I notice its a Pilot Sport Cup 2.

I took it in for my 1200 miles service today and advise the SA of the situation. During my service he looks into it and spent a great deal of time explaining to me that the Sport Cup 2 is the new standard tire and that MPSS are not available anymore.

Now I have to go back and forth between NA and the dealer to finally get this resolved, hopefully it doesn't rain anytime soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Yeah, then they need to replace all four...you can't have mixed compound (PSS and PSC2...especially PSC2)

I would assume the PS4S is the replacement for the PSS

But you will be fine in the rain with PSC2s...they aren't slick r-compound tires
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That's good to hear about the wet, lots of posts mention the Cup 2 as a dry only compound.

BMW NA says the dealer should have fixed it and to try the manager and my selling dealer next. If neither can resolve then to call NA back and they will facilitate.

Loving the car, but a really strange problem to have.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Do you plan to drive the car on-track occasionally? If not, the Pilot Sport Cup 2 is probably overkill (you won't benefit from the higher operating temps/durability needed for HPDE) and will be an "ok" performer in the wet, but significantly behind the Pilot Super Sports.

They certainly still make MPSS tires and I'd ask them to find a suitable replacement. Or ask for the Pilot Sport 4S all around if they can't find a local MPSS...Tire Rack has MPSS in stock, right now, for the M2, FWIW
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:12 PM   #5
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

If you get 4 new SC2s but would rather have PSS, hit me up and I will trade you. Have a set with 0 miles.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I would definitely prefer to have MPSS since this is my daily. Still waiting on the service manager to return my call, I can't wait to get the BMWNA survey for this one...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #7
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I cannot wait for the day that Tesla gets enough weight behind it to destroy the dealership model. These guys are idiots and it's a potential safety issue to mix tires on the same axle. These guys are just as bad as politicians with the crap they make up and try to feed you.
Appreciate 2
Deso119.50
No Boost4019.00
      08-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Congrats for the Cup2 upgrade for free! PSS in my opinion can not handle m2 torque even in its stock form.

Rest assure you'll be fine having just Cup2 on rear. If anything, it's a more planted rear end for you, provided tire operating temperature is reached, which isn't hard to make happen.

No need to worry about understeer when turning at car's limit, because that's a different limit than with PSS. Braking bias isn't effected either, though it's not optimal but is still better than PSS. Take it that it will just grips a little bit more.

Look at it this way - High performance car consumes rear tires much quicker than front ones. And we don't just change 4 tires at the same time. When replacing rear tires, we will have better grip with new tires, either of the same spec or different, anyway.

Though down the road you'll be changing tires much more frequently as Cup2 is much less durable than PSS.
      08-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #9
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Congrats for the Cup2 upgrade for free! PSS in my opinion can not handle m2 torque even in its stock form.

Rest assure you'll be fine having just Cup2 on rear. If anything, it's a more planted rear end for you, provided tire operating temperature is reached, which isn't hard to make happen.

No need to worry about understeer when turning at car's limit, because that's a different limit than with PSS. Braking bias isn't effected either, though it's not optimal but is still better than PSS. Take it that it will just grips a little bit more.

Look at it this way - High performance car consumes rear tires much quicker than front ones. And we don't just change 4 tires at the same time. When replacing rear tires, we will have better grip with new tires, either of the same spec or different, anyway.

Though down the road you'll be changing tires much more frequently as Cup2 is much less durable than PSS.
Yeah but they replaced just one of his two tires with a PSC2... not even the entire axle. The car is gonna pull left or right on hard braking or accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The Cup 2 is on the front left so no performance gain. Today I started noticing the car pulling to the right when breaking in the wet. I'm guess it will pull a little left dry if I pay attention.

I popped in at the dealer and caught the service manager. He agreed the tire shouldn't be on the car but wasn't sure how to fix the problem since it's not damaged or a warranty issue. He said he would call his local corporate rep for guidance on how to resolve it.

He thinks either they will just comp the new tire or ding the selling dealer for not catching it on redelivery.

He said he would call me once he knows what to do next.

I'm still curious it's to why the tire was even in inventory in that size at the port.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #11
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Yeah but they replaced just one of his two tires with a PSC2... not even the entire axle. The car is gonna pull left or right on hard braking or accelerating.
I was wondering if anyone else caught this...one tire is completely useless

Have you tried the BMW Genius line? They were pretty helpful and able to solve my problem with the M Driver's voucher
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

You don't want Cup 2 for a car that is driven regularly. It's clearly a mistake on BMWs part so I would simply call BMW NA and they will resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #13
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Service manager called today and he went ahead and ordered the MPSS to put on the car agreeing it needed to be swapped. He's still unsure how the tire will be paid for but it's great he took the initiative to make it right even though he had nothing to do with the problem.

I should be back to stock setup by mid week.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #14
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Service manager called today and he went ahead and ordered the MPSS to put on the car agreeing it needed to be swapped. He's still unsure how the tire will be paid for but it's great he took the initiative to make it right even though he had nothing to do with the problem.

I should be back to stock setup by mid week.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #15
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Do you get to keep the SC2?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #16
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Do you get to keep the SC2?
No idea, I'll let you know.
Appreciate 1
dvas515.00
      08-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #17
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

While I'm waited g for the new tire I've started to notice my car drifting to the right like the alignment is slightly off. Would the tire be causing this (stickier tire on front left) or could the tire size or being on for 1k miles cause the alignment to be off?

I'll inquire when I get the tire changed but would like extra insight incase they don't want to cover the alignment.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #18
chris719
Major General
Rep

I'd get the tire replaced and see, but it's probably the common "pulls-right" problem with all F8x cars. Ask for either a new steering knuckle or the pull drift compensation software update. Most people seem to report the software fixes it.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=22112276
Appreciate 1
Deso119.50
      09-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #19
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I received the new tire yesterday, I didn't ask to keep the Cup2 nor did they offer. The breaking doesn't pull to the side anymore so the stickier compound could have been a factor.

The car still drifts slightly to the right but seems to be less on the roads from today.

I'm not thrilled it took 2.5 weeks to get the correct tire but I doubt this is a common issue.
Appreciate 0