BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW prices and value

08-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #45
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
People who buy BMWs because of how "pure" they drive, or how it's a "drivers" car or however else you want to describe it, are in the absolute minority.
Definitely realize that. They're going for ultimate sales growth and profit margins now, and care more about the appearance of being the Ultimate Driving Machine than actually being one.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      08-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #46
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

What is brand new car? I rather drive E30 M3..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #47
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
We don't really have any lemons laws in Canada AFAIK.

But are CPO cars not like, good used cars checkd by dealer and everything?
CPO cars are indeed checked out. But if one turns out to be a lemon in California (and from what I know in other states) you're out of luck.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:32 PM   #48
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Definitely realize that. They're going for ultimate sales growth and profit margins now, and care more about the appearance of being the Ultimate Driving Machine than actually being one.
You, sir, are correct!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #49
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
BMW prices are a complete joke now, I have no idea why somebody would spend $85k+ plus on an M4 when you can get a Z06 which absolutely and positively destroys the car (not to mention a myriad of other American cars in the $50k range which still put a beating on the M4).

I just don't know who the hell is buying BMWs these days at these prices. They have to be badge whores who just don't care they're being taken for a ride. I went to the dealer the other day and they had a 235i on the lot for $59k. $59k for a 2 series that wasn't even an ///M. Absolutely nuts! You can get a nice base Corvette for that, and still have money left over!

*Also just fyi, I was a bit confused at first but this post was in response to something in another thread. It must have been moved to a thread all its own here. I didn't create a thread just to complain about BMW pricing hah. ;P *
Can only speak for myself here but there would be reasons (ie..brand/classiness, 2vs4 seats) I'd take an M3/4 over a corvette and I'd assume many others would as well one of which being most of us dont even spend time enough on the track to be able to tell the difference

Regarding the prices and as far as how people can afford (or really not) all this
you can thank the marvels of modern financial engineering
everythign is monthly payments
aka how to rip off (or allow people to get ripped off) with all parties still smiling (like leeches extracting blood unnoticed)
does anyone have any $$$ in the bank anymore?
not that it would be doing anything in there anyway what yields < 1%

I think the world is crazy and getting crazier and people calling me crazy for saying this because they are getting used to all the craziness

CRAZY
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #50
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'm not really sure my head can fully wrap around the idea of directly comparing an M4 and a corvette. I know they both generate performance numbers, but SO different. I'm thinking that if one appeals to you, the other is a bit offputting, no (and how about that brand new Civic-R, eh? more wings and slats than a fleet of Lambos - surely a better deal than a boring old 2 series)?

And FWIW, I felt that my 228 was a real bargain - expensive, but something I could not find elsewhere without nearly doubling the price. BMW does still make drivers cars, just not a lot of them - and fewer every day if you all keep bitching that they don't include free wifi, nav, cameras, etc. etc. etc. Nobody ever wrote about the radio reception in a Cobra.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #51
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

M4 and Corvette are not in the same segment. While I really dig the new 'vettes and Mustangs, these cars only appeal to certain folks in US. RoW kinda view them as uncouth curiosity liken to an annual circus parade.

Someone earlier touched on something that is true in the global market of new money. It's called brand bling. It's not about 1/4 or 0-60 to these people, it's about what you roll into a party with the brandiest of brands. Like handbags and shoes. People want to be associated to the brand's lifestyle. That is why folks buy Porsche, Ferrari, Benz, BMW, Jag... that GM or Hyundai does not necessarily resonate with their lifestyle. It's all psychological man.

It's like the guys that buy the most powerful of Android phones and laugh at the guys that buys an iphone that produces weak Antutu scores. NO ONE GIVES A SHIT about our your OnePlus-whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #52
MSups6
Banned
Rep
Drives: Supra, Former Msport 435

Price wise and bang for your buck, they are the worst of the worst by far.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17338.50
      08-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #53
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSups6 View Post
Price wise and bang for your buck, they are the worst of the worst by far.
It didn't used to be like this, by the way. BACK IN THE DAYS, when BMWs used to be all about the driver, i.e. when the dash was oriented toward the driver in their interior design, BMWs were a tremendous bang for your buck. The E36 M3 used to be considered to have the best steering rack IN THE WORLD, on par with super cars and superior to the Porsches of the day. All for mid $40K for a car that can carve canyon and run circles around a majority of cars on the road then. In fact, the E39 M5 sedan was considered the best sport sedan in the world, bar none, and it wasn't so far out of the average upper middle class income that you can't afford it unless you're made of money.

To the OP's point, those days are long gone. Today a 6 figure salary and some moderate disposable income is required to own a bottom of the barrel 3 series, unless you rent. And even then, a $400+ lease payment just so you can drive a car that can barely keep up with your run of the mill driving appliance, in both a straight line and in the corners, is frankly, a stupid proposition. So yes, if you HAVE to have the BMW brand, and have the supporting income or lack of sense to lease one, more power to you.

For someone who's bought, owned, leased, and driven at least a dozen BMW in my adult driving career, I have to admit, it is very unlikely that I will buy another new BMW in my lifetime. Not when I consider all the other options available. Frankly, if I want performance, I can have performance that rivals or beat the best BMW has to offer, both in a straight line and in the corners, for a fraction of what a base model new BMW cost.

If I want brand and prestige, and have the means to do so to own a BMW, I'd rather buy a Porsche.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
MSups693.50