BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Few sounds the car's developed. Any thoughts? Clutch, diff, AC, rattles

05-19-2018, 01:59 AM   #1
entaiiie
Rep
Drives: 18' 6MT MG

Few sounds the car's developed. Any thoughts? Clutch, diff, AC, rattles

hey guys. I just had my 1200 mile break in performed today. I've noticed a few sounds the car has developed and I wanted to see if I was being overly sensitive or if these are actual issues to address

1: recently, when near the engagement point of the clutch, I can hear what I'd describe as a little bit of a rattle or chatter. It still seems to engage/accelerate normally, but it's very noticeable if there are not other noises near by / musics off. it didn't do this until after having a thousand miles on it. I had an STi many years ago that started doing this same sound around 70k miles.. but this is a very new car. This one is the most concerning to me.

2: the rear differential (or maybe something in that area) has always been pretty whiny compared to my other vehicles I've had. you can hear it whirring and whining especially when 2nd gear or 1st gear and letting it engine brake. most audible is engine braking down a hill. it can kinda sound like a Jetson's car : P

3: AC Unit - if you put it on max AC, the thing whistles and screetches some. It's a little annoying, but it's easy to work around: if you put the blower one notch down, it goes away.

4: rattle - if the E-brake lever is fully downward, it creates a weird metalic rattle at some point in the car. it doesn't sound like its coming from the ebrake itself, but who knows.. if I pull up on it ever so slightly, it goes away.

5: rattle - passenger side A pillar area. mostly on rough roads. it goes away when it's smooth. it's a stiff suspension, so this one's whatever, I am sure more will come.

anyways - happy to hear your thoughts if you have any suggestions about any of these. may just have to give it back to the dealer for a bit. I am going to be putting on a louder exhaust system fairly soon and I would hate for them to try to tell me they can't hear the issues so they can't reproduce or do anything about them.. : P
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
JTPitsch
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I have the clutch chatter at times which I feel like a lot of people have. As far as the rear diff making the "Jetsons" sound I can also hear that if I am slowly creeping along in traffic in gear letting it idle me forward. I just think its the nature of the beast.

Edit: I might also add that since its a new car things take time to break in so all sorts of funny noises during the initial miles of the car. I have had strange noises for almost every new car I have had and just try and turn up the music to ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
entaiiie
Rep

thanks - that's reassuring to hear others hear it/have it too. I think I'm just being a little overly sensitive to noise since I just came from a 2018 GT that had a total engine failure after ~2300 miles.

I've had a number of cars and really only a couple of them didn't have any sort of audible drivetrain sounds. I sort of expect it at this point too, but wanted to be safe rather than sorry.

sounds like I should just keep putting miles on it and enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:26 AM   #4
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

The car just turned 5k km, also have the rear diff noise at low speed that seems normal, I just noticed a little metalic noise clincking from the exhaust (stock) when I turned on the engine after a week without use, it disappeared then
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 12:53 AM   #5
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 | LBB | MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by entaiiie View Post
hey guys. I just had my 1200 mile break in performed today. I've noticed a few sounds the car has developed and I wanted to see if I was being overly sensitive or if these are actual issues to address

1: recently, when near the engagement point of the clutch, I can hear what I'd describe as a little bit of a rattle or chatter. It still seems to engage/accelerate normally, but it's very noticeable if there are not other noises near by / musics off. it didn't do this until after having a thousand miles on it. I had an STi many years ago that started doing this same sound around 70k miles.. but this is a very new car. This one is the most concerning to me.

2: the rear differential (or maybe something in that area) has always been pretty whiny compared to my other vehicles I've had. you can hear it whirring and whining especially when 2nd gear or 1st gear and letting it engine brake. most audible is engine braking down a hill. it can kinda sound like a Jetson's car : P

3: AC Unit - if you put it on max AC, the thing whistles and screetches some. It's a little annoying, but it's easy to work around: if you put the blower one notch down, it goes away.

4: rattle - if the E-brake lever is fully downward, it creates a weird metalic rattle at some point in the car. it doesn't sound like its coming from the ebrake itself, but who knows.. if I pull up on it ever so slightly, it goes away.

5: rattle - passenger side A pillar area. mostly on rough roads. it goes away when it's smooth. it's a stiff suspension, so this one's whatever, I am sure more will come.

anyways - happy to hear your thoughts if you have any suggestions about any of these. may just have to give it back to the dealer for a bit. I am going to be putting on a louder exhaust system fairly soon and I would hate for them to try to tell me they can't hear the issues so they can't reproduce or do anything about them.. : P
On No. 2: From time to time I have a little bit of a whining noise when creeping in first gear in stop and go. Seems to be more noticeable in hot weather and when the drive train is warmed up actually, not during cold starts or shortly after. Notofied my service advisor in advance of my break-in service and he said that the new rear diff oil might be able to take care of that at the 1,200 mile service.

On No. 5: I have the same and will have that looked after next week (14-Jun-2018), together with No 2 during my 1,200 miles break-in service. Coming from somewhere top front of the driver side door/A-pillar, pretty annoying (actually not acceptable) on rough surfaces, no issue whatsoever on smooth roads. First thought it is the cover behind the door lever, which is kind of lose on both doors (you can rattle it by hand), but it is not it. I held it in place while driving and the rattle is still there. Will report on the findings after the break-in service.

Last edited by Downunder99; 06-10-2018 at 01:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
The clutch chatter happened to me a few times and when I took it to the dealer, of course we couldn't replicate the problem. It's not a common occurrence so I've kinda forgotten about it until now.

I've got other rattles and squeaks I can probably make a new thread for. I have just over 6k miles so far and while it's a blast to drive, the odd noises really make me feel like quality is not where it once was. I owned a Honda before this and never had to take it in for any noise the 35k miles I drove it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 | LBB | MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Update on No 2:
The whining noise from the rear diff I have not heard since the 1,200 mile break-in service, hoping it stays like that.
07-Jul-2018 Update: Drove the car yesterday in hot weather and I had a bit of the whining noise again, but only when slowly pulling away.

Update on No 5:
Rattle was caused by the "Speaker Trim" in the driver door. They fixed it during my 1,200 mile break-in service and has since been gone.

Last edited by Downunder99; 07-08-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
entaiiie
Rep

my break in did not help my differential sounds. I've since put on like ~3k miles total, persists. they also took two trips to perform the break in service though so who knows if they even swapped the diff fluid..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

My 2018 has 4k miles on it and recently have been noticing front suspension noise going over some harsh bumps like deep sewers, rough driveway entrances, etc.

It's like a clunky rattle.

Drivers side seat makes a creaking noise pretty often throughout driving. Doesn't really bother me, but it's there.
Appreciate 0