M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Steering Wheel Cover

03-29-2018, 12:26 AM   #23
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh_kross View Post
Well, wish me luck. I placed my order today, should be here in a couple of weeks probably. Went with perforated leather, blue marker and tri-color stitching which is exactly what I wanted. Hopefully not too bad to install once it gets here.
How do you like it? I’m curious what yours looks like.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #24
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercase View Post
How do you like it? I’m curious what yours looks like.
I haven't received the shipment yet .

I'll post about my experience once I do and have the time to install it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #25
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Whoo! Just finished installing it! Well, still need to tie off some loose thread ends and I'm done.

Definitely glad I DIY'd, but it's not as straightforward as one would think from pictures and videos. I'll do a proper post probably tomorrow or Monday once I get some road time with it, and get a feel for it. Post some pictures too, so soon!
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #26
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
So, like I mentioned in an earlier post. I finished installing the steering wheel cover on Saturday. Been driving with it to get my impressions. Here's my take so far:

Quality & Feel (4/5): Good quality leather so far, feels very nice to the touch and breathes well. Compared to the stock leather, it's a little softer and helps keep my hands dry. I went with the perforated leather myself, so other materials may vary. The fit is good, but it takes some doing to install. Although it makes the steering wheel a slight thicker, it does not feel thick at all. Very comfortable. The only thing I could improve is that there seems to be a bit more extra material that you have to hide in the trim of the wheel, would be perfect if it were a more close fit, but it might be harder to install.

Difficulty (3/5): This really isn't a negative thing, but more something to be aware of. I think the difficulty in installing is a bit misleading from both sides of the argument. First impression is that it will be really hard... then after a bit of research it seems fairly straightforward. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for most people with decent skill and patience, but it definitely takes some practice, so you might need a couple of do-overs. Fortunately the product is forgiving enough to allow for it. If you haven't done something like this before, set apart a weekend to take it slow and easy.

Customer Service (3/5): It's a Chinese company, so it's a bit expected. Still, they seem to have been around for a while, so they should at least invest in a good translator or two and probably a decent programmer to make them a better website. Expect replies on the next day, and Google translate English to read through. Their communication isn't too bad, it's at least fairly understandable.

Price (5/5): Unbeatable for the quality of the product and the amount of customization options they have available. At roughly $50, it's an amazing mod that is affordable to everybody, and not just to M2 fans.

Overall (4/5): Overall, it's a great product and an awesome and affordable mod for everyone. Even if the install is fairly time consuming, I'm sure those who aren't up for it could get it done at some local shop for not much more money. The personal touch it adds to the car is really worth it, especially if you DIY. Not to mention the improved feeling of the wheel, and protection of the original leather (if you don't use the tape). Definitely gets my recommendation.

Installation Tips:
  • Do the smaller sections first.
  • Keep the leather tight in the path that you are currently stitching, holding it with your other hand.
  • Keep the thread fairly tight as you stitch and use the original stitching as a guide for your stitches.
  • Pay special attention to the seams. I followed the OEM style and stopped skipping a loop around the seams to keep things tight.
  • If you're ok with it, you can "cheat" the seams. If you're slightly ahead on one side, only skip loops on the other to catch up.
  • The leather will tighten up a lot at the end of a stitch, especially if you follow the instructions and stitch back a few loops.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask, I thought about making this it's own thread as a DIY, but felt it better to keep the conversation going.

Thanks to JeffM2PRDallas for making the thread on this product! Super pleased with the result!

Now, here's some pictures of the install attached. I could get more if there are any details anyone wants me to focus on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      05-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #27
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

How are your wheel covers holding up? I’m especially curious about the leather / suede / alcantara and stitching. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2018, 05:34 AM   #28
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercase View Post
How are your wheel covers holding up? I’m especially curious about the leather / suede / alcantara and stitching. Thanks!
Still looks just as good as the day I put it on. Mine's all leather without any suede, so I don't know about that material, but the leather and stitching is holding up without issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #29
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Looks loose... I think steaming it might shrink it a bit to look better..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #30
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Looks loose... I think steaming it might shrink it a bit to look better..
Which one? Mine is pretty tight on the wheel, I have no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #31
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Which one? Mine is pretty tight on the wheel, I have no complaints.
Sorry, the first one. Yours looks great. Why does it look odd near the bottom though, almost like not tucked in ? does it stick up a little?

Do you think removing the wheel and sitting on the couch with it would make it easier?
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #32
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Dallas custom redid my wheel - shipping out today. Not cheap but from photos work looks top notch.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #33
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
So, like I mentioned in an earlier post. I finished installing the steering wheel cover on Saturday. Been driving with it to get my impressions. Here's my take so far:

Quality & Feel (4/5): Good quality leather so far, feels very nice to the touch and breathes well. Compared to the stock leather, it's a little softer and helps keep my hands dry. I went with the perforated leather myself, so other materials may vary. The fit is good, but it takes some doing to install. Although it makes the steering wheel a slight thicker, it does not feel thick at all. Very comfortable. The only thing I could improve is that there seems to be a bit more extra material that you have to hide in the trim of the wheel, would be perfect if it were a more close fit, but it might be harder to install.

Difficulty (3/5): This really isn't a negative thing, but more something to be aware of. I think the difficulty in installing is a bit misleading from both sides of the argument. First impression is that it will be really hard... then after a bit of research it seems fairly straightforward. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for most people with decent skill and patience, but it definitely takes some practice, so you might need a couple of do-overs. Fortunately the product is forgiving enough to allow for it. If you haven't done something like this before, set apart a weekend to take it slow and easy.

Customer Service (3/5): It's a Chinese company, so it's a bit expected. Still, they seem to have been around for a while, so they should at least invest in a good translator or two and probably a decent programmer to make them a better website. Expect replies on the next day, and Google translate English to read through. Their communication isn't too bad, it's at least fairly understandable.

Price (5/5): Unbeatable for the quality of the product and the amount of customization options they have available. At roughly $50, it's an amazing mod that is affordable to everybody, and not just to M2 fans.

Overall (4/5): Overall, it's a great product and an awesome and affordable mod for everyone. Even if the install is fairly time consuming, I'm sure those who aren't up for it could get it done at some local shop for not much more money. The personal touch it adds to the car is really worth it, especially if you DIY. Not to mention the improved feeling of the wheel, and protection of the original leather (if you don't use the tape). Definitely gets my recommendation.

Installation Tips:
  • Do the smaller sections first.
  • Keep the leather tight in the path that you are currently stitching, holding it with your other hand.
  • Keep the thread fairly tight as you stitch and use the original stitching as a guide for your stitches.
  • Pay special attention to the seams. I followed the OEM style and stopped skipping a loop around the seams to keep things tight.
  • If you're ok with it, you can "cheat" the seams. If you're slightly ahead on one side, only skip loops on the other to catch up.
  • The leather will tighten up a lot at the end of a stitch, especially if you follow the instructions and stitch back a few loops.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask, I thought about making this it's own thread as a DIY, but felt it better to keep the conversation going.

Thanks to JeffM2PRDallas for making the thread on this product! Super pleased with the result!

Now, here's some pictures of the install attached. I could get more if there are any details anyone wants me to focus on.
I want this EXACT cover for my M235...can you point me in the right direction with customization options, seller, etc?
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #34
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Sorry, the first one. Yours looks great. Why does it look odd near the bottom though, almost like not tucked in ? does it stick up a little?

Do you think removing the wheel and sitting on the couch with it would make it easier?
The bottom part wraps around the center spoke, it doesn't actually tuck in. That might have saved me now, I want to change the trim piece and I think I can remove it without removing the cover.
Appreciate 1
McPurrs290.00
      05-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #35
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
I want this EXACT cover for my M235...can you point me in the right direction with customization options, seller, etc?
I ordered it through ebay, using this seller:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/mooventsteven

I ordered the coverby messaging the selller through the item's listing here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Black-L...72.m2749.l2649

Just ask for the options that you want. If you want it exactly like mine, I asked for these specific options:

- All Black Perforated Leather
- Light Blue Marker
- Red and Blue stitches
Appreciate 1
crbalch472.50
      05-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #36
jtcsifl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X7/22 Bronco/23 EQS

I'm interested and appreciate the review and installation tips. I'm assuming that you remove the wheel and all trim pieces to install? TY.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 06:08 AM   #37
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcsifl View Post
I'm interested and appreciate the review and installation tips. I'm assuming that you remove the wheel and all trim pieces to install? TY.
There's no need to remove the wheel if you don't want to. You can do it, though. I think it might help if you really wanted to take your time, I had to make do by leaving the car running for a while or dealing with the mosquitoes...

If you go on Youtube to find installation videos you'll see both approaches. Ultimately, I chose to leave the wheel on, and just work around everything, and still came out great, your choice, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #38
jtcsifl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X7/22 Bronco/23 EQS

TY for the knowledge/guidance.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #39
jetbill
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
You can try this one, http://cobywheel.com/alcantara-produ...-products.html

I did a bit more research on the MEWANT product and seems like it's quality leather and product, despite the looks of their site. So I went with that for the money. Plus I kinda like the idea of stitching it myself.
Great results from Mike at Coby Wheel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #40
Soccerbimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bmw 535i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM2PRDallas View Post
It took me 3 hour. These are some of the things that I recommend to do in order to make your installation easy.

Do not use the tape if you what to preserve your OM stirring.
Remove the airbag and the stirring front cover. (Super Easy)
First align the blue trip with the center and tide with a string
Im new to this forum. I have a a f10 m sport, same steering wheel. How did you remove the airbag and the plastic cover?? Did you you tucked in the bottom of the cover by the M bottom logo??
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #41
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerbimmer View Post
Im new to this forum. I have a a f10 m sport, same steering wheel. How did you remove the airbag and the plastic cover?? Did you you tucked in the bottom of the cover by the M bottom logo??
You can follow this to remove that stuff.

I can't answer the other question as I don't have this wheel cover.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #42
Soccerbimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bmw 535i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerbimmer View Post
You can follow this to remove that stuff.

I can't answer the other question as I don't have this wheel cover.
Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:27 AM   #43
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

The link for the amazon cover. Will this fit the f15 x5 msport wheel as well or is the wheel different from mine? Thanks
Appreciate 0