BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW CPO Coverage - iDrive? No more maintenance to second owner?

02-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

BMW CPO Coverage - iDrive? No more maintenance to second owner?

I've got a 335 CPO car now. I'm looking at my next vehicle and thinking Lexus GSF or maybe an M3.

The CPO program is continually getting changed with less items covered. But today I found this:
http://cpo.bmwusa.com/Content/docs/B...NotCovered.pdf

It looks like iDrive is now covered? I also like the ability to move to 6 years of coverage.

This appears to be back to being a fairly comprehensive CPO program as it was when I bought my car. One big drawback is no more transfer of the maintenance.

Any thoughts on the CPO program and the recent changes would be appreciated.
      02-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
X3andOut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The CPO coverage is the same as BMWs Platinum Extended Service Contract.

Please see the attached for coverage.

Technically, the iDrive as a system is not covered. But, Radio, Entertainment, CD Player, and Navigation are covered.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMWCoverageGuide.pdf (1.29 MB, 2555 views)
Appreciate 1
OUGrad05521.00
      02-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andOut View Post

Technically, the iDrive as a system is not covered. But, Radio, Entertainment, CD Player, and Navigation are covered.
Interesting, I found their exclusions list on Friday and iDrive was not listed as excluded.

Excellent list, thank you.
      02-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
X3andOut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Interesting, I found their exclusions list on Friday and iDrive was not listed as excluded.

Excellent list, thank you.
You're welcome. I think BMW doesn't view iDrive as a part or item, as it includes too much.

For example, the voice activation button on the steering wheel is clearly part of iDrive, but I'm aware of a couple cases that a worn and glitchy button wasn't covered as it is something subject to wear and tear.

But the attached is the best list I have come across.
Appreciate 1
OUGrad05521.00
      04-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andOut View Post

Is this a fact (that CPO = Plat)? It looks pretty good for engine and tranny.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #6
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Does anyone know if CPO coverage transfers to someone not in your family when you go to sell or trade up your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Does anyone know if CPO coverage transfers to someone not in your family when you go to sell or trade up your car?
Fully transferrable for a nominal fee pending this is private seller to private buyer. The fee is in the neighborhood of $200 or so I believe. There are a few merits you have to meet though, such as sale date in relation to application transfer and such.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
I've got a 335 CPO car now. I'm looking at my next vehicle and thinking Lexus GSF or maybe an M3.

The CPO program is continually getting changed with less items covered. But today I found this:

It looks like iDrive is now covered? I also like the ability to move to 6 years of coverage.

This appears to be back to being a fairly comprehensive CPO program as it was when I bought my car. One big drawback is no more transfer of the maintenance.

The CPO from circa 2016-mid 2017 was a 2 year CPO and VERY limited in scope. Covered less than Gold which also did not include electronics.

That was changed in mid 2017 where CPO matched Platinum in coverage but was reduced to 1 year of coverage.

Because of this, there are lists still available via search that has old info.

Last I heard (I haven’t checked lately) CPO=Platinum coverage for 1 year. You can buy longer coverage.

No idea if they “upgraded” the former policies to Platinum level in 2017 but my gut tells me no.

No idea where Transfer is at this time either as so many things changed in the last ~12 months.

Best advice it to check with BMW on your particular policy.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #9
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

The CPO from circa 2016-mid 2017 was a 2 year CPO and VERY limited in scope. Covered less than Gold which also did not include electronics.

That was changed in mid 2017 where CPO matched Platinum in coverage but was reduced to 1 year of coverage.

Last I heard (I haven't checked lately) CPO=Platinum coverage for 1 year. You can buy longer coverage.

No idea if they "upgraded" the former policies to Platinum level in 2017 but my gut tells me no.

No idea where Transfer is at this time either as so many things changed in the last ~12 months.

I know what mine covers was looking to get a new car but will probably keep BMW another 11-18 mos and use up the warranty since CPO coverage is now blah
      05-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

Last I heard (I haven’t checked lately) CPO=Platinum coverage for 1 year. You can buy longer coverage.

No idea if they “upgraded” the former policies to Platinum level in 2017 but my gut tells me no.

Interesting. I'm looking at extending the warranty on my 2015 X5 and was under the impression CPO was the same the Gold warranty option.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:

Interesting. I'm looking at extending the warranty on my 2015 X5 and was under the impression CPO was the same the Gold warranty option.
It's was actually less than Gold until they matched it with Platinum.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50