BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Open Face Helmet Snell Approved

03-27-2018, 03:16 AM   #23
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Did the advanced M school at thermal and learned that they are no longer using helmets at all. Found that interesting. They said since all of the cars they use are modern with multiple safety systems that have not been tested to be proven to be compatible with helmets (airbags mostly) after lots of analysis and debate they decided to go without helmets. Pretty weird driving 140 down a straight on a race track without a helmet on but I can't say I disagree with their thinking. Of course we aren't going to see any race tracks or clubs following suit.

I recently went through the helmet shopping experience for a Snell 2015 helmet, what I learned was to pay close attention to the shape of your head and not just the size. Bell helmets for example are good for round heads (looking from the top), my head is oblong so Bell was not a good fit for me, I ended up going with the Stilo ST5 which is very light, composite and fits me incredibly well. I suggest if possible going to a shop, if not Northstar Motorsports and most others will send you a couple different helmets to compare, just measure your head and give them a call and they can guide you. Northstar has several really good videos on helmet types and fit that can help guide you.
Appreciate 1
M2guru374.50
      03-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #24
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Yikes - what’s your noggin worth???
Suppose I would ask what is a Snell SA2015 rating worth? You get that that's the actual safety certification standard in play, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #25
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
To each his/her own and it is their face/life, but despite what WRC does, I would argue that most HPDE drivers are not in a car with the same amount of safety gear as WRC even if they are running harness. Even in a fully prepped enclosed race car bad things can happen. To the best of my knowledge Dale Earnhardt's death was caused by an impact to his jaw which would have likely been less severe with a full face helmet.

I not only think everyone should wear a full face helmet, but we should all be keeping our visors down as well. I break this rule myself from time to time but the chances of an object hitting me in the face on track with the widows down or objects flying through the cockpit/windshield in an accident/incident are high enough that we shouldn't risk it.

I will put it this way, if the danger is high enough that you should wear head protection, why would you wear head protection that doesn't protect the parts of your head that you use everyday to see, smell, communicate and eat? The actual protection far outweighs the slight discomfort.
Interesting points, and I respect your choices. As for opinions....

Pretty sure a HANS would have helped Dale more than a full face helmet. Neck stretching is bad, and I run a HANS. That was a pretty compelling causality event, and one of the drivers for development and certification for mainstream autosports at all levels.

You think everyone should wear a full face helmet all the time independent of other factors - well it least that's simple to state, and glad it works for you. Following your rationale, do you consider wearing it in the shower as well? Super slippery in there, and as you pointed out, the actual protection far outweighs the slight discomfort

I'll fall back on the Snell SA rating, and the FIA rules and certifications for safety equipment decision guidance. They're fact based, and rigorously developed for racing at the highest levels.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #26
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn View Post
Suppose I would ask what is a Snell SA2015 rating worth? You get that that's the actual safety certification standard in play, right?
Yes - I've been at this a long time. As with many products, just because a helmet has a sticker doesn't mean it's a top-quality product. Your helmet may be a fine choice, but a red flag always goes off in my head when I see people talk about "inexpensive" and little-known brands. Enjoy the upcoming season!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:10 PM   #27
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn View Post
Interesting points, and I respect your choices. As for opinions....

Pretty sure a HANS would have helped Dale more than a full face helmet. Neck stretching is bad, and I run a HANS. That was a pretty compelling causality event, and one of the drivers for development and certification for mainstream autosports at all levels.

You think everyone should wear a full face helmet all the time independent of other factors - well it least that's simple to state, and glad it works for you. Following your rationale, do you consider wearing it in the shower as well? Super slippery in there, and as you pointed out, the actual protection far outweighs the slight discomfort

I'll fall back on the Snell SA rating, and the FIA rules and certifications for safety equipment decision guidance. They're fact based, and rigorously developed for racing at the highest levels.
You are correct in tht a HANS device is extremely important, and no one is questioning the Snell SA rating, but that Snell rating is only for the portion of the helmet that covers your head. If it is not covering our face, that area of your head has zero Snell rating.

Yes open face may work in the “highest levels” of racing, but I thought we were referring to HPDE which would be the lowest common denominator (least amount of belt/seat/intrusion/roll over protection), hence I still think a full face makes the most sense.
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1193.00
      03-31-2018, 10:15 PM   #28
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

just ordered a Arai GPJ3
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #29
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by babym2 View Post
just ordered a Arai GPJ3
Nice helmet , I use one and find it to be less obstructive while tracking my car.
Appreciate 0