BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 911 or M2?

08-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #89
JimmyS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

I've gone from a 08 M5 -> 13 991 4S -> 15 991 GTS -> just acquired 17 M2 performance edition.

All have been very fun to date and looking forward to the adventures in the M2. The 991's are incredible machines and make you feel comfortable in any driving condition. Mine went to the grocery store, the race track, the drag strip, and on 4000 mile road trips.
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
DrtyJrze707.00
      08-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #90
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
I've gone from a 08 M5 -> 13 991 4S -> 15 991 GTS -> just acquired 17 M2 performance edition.

All have been very fun to date and looking forward to the adventures in the M2. The 991's are incredible machines and make you feel comfortable in any driving condition. Mine went to the grocery store, the race track, the drag strip, and on 4000 mile road trips.
why did you get rid of your 991 GTS?
Time for a change/desire to scratch the M2 itch? or other reasons?
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #91
JimmyS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
why did you get rid of your 991 GTS?
Time for a change/desire to scratch the M2 itch? or other reasons?
Lease was coming to end of term. Test drove a number of cars including a new 17 GTS and 17 Cayman S. While the new turbo motors are fast I was not emotionally connected to the car like my GTS.

Dealer had the M2 on the used lot, so we took it for a ride and I was all smiles.

Longer term, a GT3 or GT4 will likely find its way into the garage. The M2 has significantly reduced the urgency to find one .
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #92
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
Lease was coming to end of term. Test drove a number of cars including a new 17 GTS and 17 Cayman S. While the new turbo motors are fast I was not emotionally connected to the car like my GTS.

Dealer had the M2 on the used lot, so we took it for a ride and I was all smiles.

Longer term, a GT3 or GT4 will likely find its way into the garage. The M2 has significantly reduced the urgency to find one .
In terms of driving experience, there is nothing on the BMW line up that compares to the 911. It's a pure sports car and it feels like it. It feels tight, it sits low, and the noise comes from the back. However, it could not be a DD for me. I miss iDrive everyday. PCM is terrible and VW's infortainment isn't great either. BMW make the best interface imo and when combined with the fun of the M2, it makes the M2 my pick for "if I could only have one car..."

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      08-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #93
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
funny that I just picked up an M2 manual recently and my brother will be picking up a base low mileage manual 997.2 this weekend. I'm very interested to compare. My M2 was about $63k OTD new, and his will be about $57k used, which is pretty similar.

Design:
As I mentioned in this post earlier, I prefer the look of M2 which is more "in your face" than Porsche's never ending classic round lines.

Value:
Most definitely 997.2 will depreciate slower at this point and won't be surprised to see the value go up in 10 years, not as crazy like the 993 but I can see this 997 appreciate fairly well. Definitely will be a popular car for 911 fans.

M2 will somewhat hold its value better than any of the current new M car line up due to high demand and low supply. To add, historically the small old M cars have been very popular among the enthusiasts.

Performance:
This is totally my prediction since I haven't driven the 997 yet.
M2 obviously has higher output both hp/tq. M2 is easier to drive faster and I think it will be the faster car between the 2. But as always faster doesn't mean "funner" or engaging. I'm betting 911 will be much more engaging, needs more attention to go fast and you will feel like you actually drove your car instead the car's help. I'm pulling these thoughts from my experience with some of the older sports cars such as E30M, s2000, RX7, MR2, 300zx, and some brand new exotics like 570s, 650s..

Practicality:
M2 wins hands down. just look at the size of that back seat vs. 911's. look at all the nannies the car comes with. look at the TQ figure. This segment is what gets people buying the M cars. M3's have been compared to 911's for generations and this has been something M cars are really better at.

Will report after this weekend

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #94
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
funny that I just picked up an M2 manual recently and my brother will be picking up a base low mileage manual 997.2 this weekend. I'm very interested to compare. My M2 was about $63k OTD new, and his will be about $57k used, which is pretty similar.

Design:
As I mentioned in this post earlier, I prefer the look of M2 which is more "in your face" than Porsche's never ending classic round lines.

Value:
Most definitely 997.2 will depreciate slower at this point and won't be surprised to see the value go up in 10 years, not as crazy like the 993 but I can see this 997 appreciate fairly well. Definitely will be a popular car for 911 fans.

M2 will somewhat hold its value better than any of the current new M car line up due to high demand and low supply. To add, historically the small old M cars have been very popular among the enthusiasts.

Performance:
This is totally my prediction since I haven't driven the 997 yet.
M2 obviously has higher output both hp/tq. M2 is easier to drive faster and I think it will be the faster car between the 2. But as always faster doesn't mean "funner" or engaging. I'm betting 911 will be much more engaging, needs more attention to go fast and you will feel like you actually drove your car instead the car's help. I'm pulling these thoughts from my experience with some of the older sports cars such as E30M, s2000, RX7, MR2, 300zx, and some brand new exotics like 570s, 650s..

Practicality:
M2 wins hands down. just look at the size of that back seat vs. 911's. look at all the nannies the car comes with. look at the TQ figure. This segment is what gets people buying the M cars. M3's have been compared to 911's for generations and this has been something M cars are really better at.

Will report after this weekend
I want to hear what you think after driving both.
Did your brother get a base 997.2 or the S?

I sold my 997.2 GTS with PDK last year and miss it on many a day. The 997.2 is IMHO the best modern day water cooled 911 Porsche has ever made. And it's also the last hydraulic steering 911 ever made, so I'm guessing you will find it to be a far more 'connected' experience relative to your M2.

Having said that. the 997.2 isn't for everyone. I really only enjoyed that car on well paved roads and the track, and since I live in an area with terrible roads, it didn't make for the best DD.
I've read the stories about the M2 driving a bit 'rough'. I lol when I read those and I had the chance to drive my friend's M2 in Atlanta on some less than perfect roads. It was night and day 'smoother' than the 997.2 for daily driving. Granted, much of that has to do with the differences in electrical steering of the M2, combined with the suspension differences in their respective 'normal' settings-- and of course sitting up higher on the M2 makes a difference as well.

To me, they are apples and oranges -- the two cars have such different set ups as noted above, which lends the 997.2 to being the last 'pure' 911, and more of a weekend car/part time DD (unless you have great roads), while the M2 is the ultimate DD that can be just enough of a hooligan when you need it to be.

Again, I'll be curious to read what you think.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #95
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

I sold my 997.2 GTS with PDK last year and miss it on many a day. The 997.2 is IMHO the best modern day water cooled 911 Porsche has ever made. And it's also the last hydraulic steering 911 ever made, so I'm guessing you will find it to be a far more 'connected' experience relative to your M2.

Having said that. the 997.2 isn't for everyone. I really only enjoyed that car on well paved roads and the track, and since I live in an area with terrible roads, it didn't make for the best DD.
I've read the stories about the M2 driving a bit 'rough'. I lol when I read those and I had the chance to drive my friend's M2 in Atlanta on some less than perfect roads. It was night and day 'smoother' than the 997.2 for daily driving. Granted, much of that has to do with the differences in electrical steering of the M2, combined with the suspension differences in their respective 'normal' settings-- and of course sitting up higher on the M2 makes a difference as well.

To me, they are apples and oranges -- the two cars have such different set ups as noted above, which lends the 997.2 to being the last 'pure' 911, and more of a weekend car/part time DD (unless you have great roads), while the M2 is the ultimate DD that can be just enough of a hooligan when you need it to be.

It will be a Base model 997.2 with MT, with very low miles. He's got a couple McLaren's at his stable so I don't think he is missing out too much on the S. He test drove the Porsche last Saturday and fell in love with the car because it was so basic.

This Porsche will not be his daily, it will probably be his weekend car with his 2 kids since he can't load up the family in the McLaren, and for those days when he doesn't feel like being in his wife's SUV with the kids. Me and my brother are sports car lovers so we appreciate the roughness of a car, in which I voted M2's ride is just perfect in another thread in this forum. If you want something plush go get a Lexus. haha. To add another variable, I'm in my mid 30s now and I used to daily Cooper S, E46 M3 and S2000 and never thought those cars were harsh in North New Jersey metro area with good amount of road cracks, bumps and pot holes.

Yes I agree the 997.2 is the Porsche to get. It is really the last proper 911.

can't wait until the weekend because i'll finally finish wrapping my M2 and finally get to really drive it.

Last edited by termigni; 08-30-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #96
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:

The M2 has only one suspension setting. Its suspension is passive.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #97
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
It was a very positive experience driving a Porsche for the first time. I concur that there is no substitute.

M2 is a better daily car. Smooth (compared to a 911) and very easy to drive and more room in the back and trunk.

This specific 997.2 base model was stickered at $85k and it shows every penny of it. Everything was higher quality than the M2 and it loves to be driven fast. Due to the positioning of the engine, the Porsche felt so neutral in the turns like it was in its natural habitat. No drama what so ever, and it makes you realize why they are so successful in motorsport business. Loved that boxer 6 engine sound and how every components of the car is in harmony.

Prior to driving this base 997.2, I was expecting low torque at low RPM just like the E46M or a S2000 since this is a N/A "base" 911 engine. I was totally wrong. It has enough power to push you into the seat even at low RPM and it keeps accelerating all the way to the redline silky smooth.

After driving it I had to look up the figures and these numbers proved that I was underestimating this car big time.

3.6L Flat 6
340HP
0-60 4.7s
top speed 180mph

Basically an M2 is top of the line hooked up econo/base car from BMW. A 997.2 is base model of the top of the line Porsche sports car.

A 997.2 was indeed in my short list of cars to buy when I was shopping for a fun car and I'm glad my brother got it because we can always swap cars whenever we want.
Attached Images

Last edited by termigni; 09-11-2017 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 3
Benzima1322.00
kj71109188.50
      09-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #98
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
It was a very positive experience driving a Porsche for the first time. I concur that there is no substitute.

M2 is a better daily car. Smooth (compared to a 911) and very easy to drive and more room in the back and trunk.

This specific 997.2 base model was stickered at $85k and it shows every penny of it. Everything was higher quality than the M2 and it loves to be driven fast. Due to the positioning of the engine, the Porsche felt so neutral in the turns like it was in its natural habitat. No drama what so ever, and it makes you realize why they are so successful in motorsport business. Loved that boxer 6 engine sound and how every components of the car is in harmony.

Prior to driving this base 997.2, I was expecting low torque at low RPM just like the E46M or a S2000 since this is a N/A "base" 911 engine. I was totally wrong. It has enough power to push you into the seat even at low RPM and it keeps accelerating all the way to the redline silky smooth.

After driving it I had to look up the figures and these numbers proved that I was underestimating this car big time.

3.6L Flat 6
340HP
0-60 4.7s
top speed 180mph

Basically an M2 is top of the line hooked up econo/base car from BMW. A 997.2 is base model of the top of the line Porsche sports car.

A 997.2 was indeed in my short list of cars to buy when I was shopping for a fun car and I'm glad my brother got it because we can always swap cars whenever we want.
Glad you got to experience the drive on the last (and best of the water cooled) pure 911's Porsche has produced. While I miss my 997.2 GTS often, it made for a pretty lousy DD where I live. Your M2 will be a far better all around car that can still get rowdy enough when called upon.

I can't wait for my M2 to be delivered.
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      09-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #99
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Glad you got to experience the drive on the last (and best of the water cooled) pure 911's Porsche has produced. While I miss my 997.2 GTS often, it made for a pretty lousy DD where I live. Your M2 will be a far better all around car that can still get rowdy enough when called upon.

I can't wait for my M2 to be delivered.
You'll love the M2. it's the best of the both world.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #100
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I went to the BMW ultimate driving experience this last weekend and got drive the m2 around and it is definitely fun! Its not as stable as the 991 but that's not a bad thing per se. I do find it a bit soft. Like Bruin mentioned, it rides very soft compared to any 911. Since I live in an area with pretty good roads, I prefer the stiffer suspension. It's seats a plush, arm rest is comfortable, and it has cup holders. I definitely think it is the best all around car on the market at this point, especially when a similarly spec'd m240i is the same price. From a styling perspective I don't like it as much because it looks bulky to me, I don't think that I could ever really love the styling. It doesn't look sorty too me since it is so tall. However, I will reiterate that the M2 is a terrifically fun car to drive. It's not as deliberate and precise as the 991 but that gives it character. Best performance doesn't always lend itself to the most fun. It's the only new BMW id consider buying at this point.

Oh, and the i8 was fantastically disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #101
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
I went to the BMW ultimate driving experience this last weekend and got drive the m2 around and it is definitely fun! Its not as stable as the 991 but that's not a bad thing per se. I do find it a bit soft. Like Bruin mentioned, it rides very soft compared to any 911. Since I live in an area with pretty good roads, I prefer the stiffer suspension. It's seats a plush, arm rest is comfortable, and it has cup holders. I definitely think it is the best all around car on the market at this point, especially when a similarly spec'd m240i is the same price. From a styling perspective I don't like it as much because it looks bulky to me, I don't think that I could ever really love the styling. It doesn't look sorty too me since it is so tall. However, I will reiterate that the M2 is a terrifically fun car to drive. It's not as deliberate and precise as the 991 but that gives it character. Best performance doesn't always lend itself to the most fun. It's the only new BMW id consider buying at this point.

Oh, and the i8 was fantastically disappointing.
Interesting. I drove my friends 911 vert and it was much softer than the M2. Actually, more "compliant" - the M2 was a bit harsh compared to the 911. But in no way was it "softer". In fact, I just drove a 911S4 and it was nothing close to the M2 in terms of being stiff. Maybe you are thinking in terms of the the overall structure?

And wow about the i8!

Last edited by doug_999; 09-12-2017 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #102
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Interesting. I drove my friends 911 vert and it was much softer than the M2. Actually, more "compliant" - the M2 was a bit harsh compared to the 911.

And wow about the i8!
That actually doesn't surprise me. I've ridden in, but not driven a 991, and it's SUCH a different animal than any 911 before it......it's far more of a GT than the 997.1 or .2, so I'm not all that taken aback to hear someone say it's actually a more compliant car than the M2.

But compared to the 997 911, the M2 feels much 'softer'......... besides the suspension differences, some of that is also due to the somewhat muted feedback c/o electronic steering. The 997.2 is the last hydraulic steering 911 Porsche made.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #103
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
That actually doesn't surprise me. I've ridden in, but not driven a 991, and it's SUCH a different animal than any 911 before it......it's far more of a GT than the 997.1 or .2, so I'm not all that taken aback to hear someone say it's actually a more compliant car than the M2.

But compared to the 997 911, the M2 feels much 'softer'......... besides the suspension differences, some of that is also due to the somewhat muted feedback c/o electronic steering. The 997.2 is the last hydraulic steering 911 Porsche made.
I'm still learning all these models - Porsche sure does make it tricky!

And yes, it was a 991.. I think? Crap, what is the latest 911?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #104
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm still learning all these models - Porsche sure does make it tricky!

And yes, it was a 991.. I think? Crap, what is the latest 911?
lol. All good...... yeah, the latest model is a 991.2-- meaning the 2nd generation 991 (recently released).
The first generation 991 (the 991.1) came out in 2012 with the base model and S.
Various other iterations of the 991 came out over the next couple of the years after that (the GT3 and GTS for example).
Porsche made its last 997.2 in 2012 with the GTS. I had one of the last of them made-- a year end produced 2011.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 06:55 AM   #105
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I drove my friends 911 vert and it was much softer than the M2. Actually, more "compliant" - the M2 was a bit harsh compared to the 911. But in no way was it "softer". In fact, I just drove a 911S4 and it was nothing close to the M2 in terms of being stiff. Maybe you are thinking in terms of the the overall structure?

And wow about the i8!
I took my 991 back through the same route as the M2 and my 991 was quite a bit firmer. It could be the tires too. MPSS rides softer than PZero tires. The seats in the M2 are significantly cushier, like sitting on a couch compared to the 991. The M2 is also a it quieter both in engine and exhaust sound and road noise.

Yes th i8, it is forgetful in every way except for one, watching my wife getting out of the back seat. She said that it felt even smaller than my 991 and for those that know about the 991 back seat, it's basically a place for luggage or groceries.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #106
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
I took my 991 back through the same route as the M2 and my 991 was quite a bit firmer. It could be the tires too. MPSS rides softer than PZero tires. The seats in the M2 are significantly cushier, like sitting on a couch compared to the 991. The M2 is also a it quieter both in engine and exhaust sound and road noise.

Yes th i8, it is forgetful in every way except for one, watching my wife getting out of the back seat. She said that it felt even smaller than my 991 and for those that know about the 991 back seat, it's basically a place for luggage or groceries.
did you end up getting the blue C4S?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #107
horsie
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mk VII Golf R

Hi guys OP here

I just picked up my LBB LCI 6MT M2 in Munich last week on the BMW Canada M Euro Tour.

The car is just mind boggling good. Superb.

Fast, comfortable, refined.

No crooked seat, didnt even notice it.

Cruises at 120 - 150 kph around 2600 to 3200 rpm.

Its quiet, nimble, and simply a beautiful drive.

In the city on rough roads it still rides nice and is a joy to row through the gears and listen to the exhaust note.

So far it's been an awesome car and well worrh all the accolades.

Can say a lot more about the details of the car but this is one well-executed car!

Buy one now!

I think the 911 has to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #108
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
did you end up getting the blue C4S?
Yes I did. The biggest visual change I've done is swapping the Carrera Classics to the 50th anniversary wheels. Game changer IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsie View Post
Hi guys OP here

I just picked up my LBB LCI 6MT M2 in Munich last week on the BMW Canada M Euro Tour.

In the city on rough roads it still rides nice and is a joy to row through the gears and listen to the exhaust note.

Can say a lot more about the details of the car but this is one well-executed car!

Buy one now!

I'm glad you like it! It is definitely the best DD out there right now. I couldn't/wouldn't drive the 911 as a DD, seats aren't comfortable, the PCM is terrible vs idrive, no cupholder, nowhere to put the phone, etc etc.
Attached Images

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #109
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsie View Post
Hi guys OP here

Buy one now!

Wow. Given that you already have a DD in your VW, I'm a bit blown away that the M2 made enough of an impression that you're getting rid of the 991.2.

That says a lot, and it makes me that much more excited for the M2 to get here.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #110
Drtsk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80C,GT4,C4GTS,CT4-BW,MK8

Quote:
Like Transcon, I too sold my 997.2-- a GTS cab that I owned for 3 1/2 years.

Lots of thoughts, but not sure they would be relevant to your decision, because the 997.2 and 991 are TOTALLY different 911's, which is something that hasn't really been emphasized enough in this thread. IMHO, the 997.2 is the last of the true 'driver's car' 911's that Porsche produced.

In short, the 997.2 worked out all the kinks from the 996 and 997.1 and was the most reliable, water cooled, hydraulic steering 911 ever made.
Had my GTS been a 6MT, I wouldn't have ever sold it-- it will likely appreciate in value in the next 10 years if I had to guess.
The problem is that the 997.2 --especially the GTS-- is a bit of a harsh ride if you live in an area with rough roads, like I do. Consequently, I didn't feel like I really could enjoy the car the way it was meant to be enjoyed. The most fun I had was one track weekend in 2015.
That segues into the 991, which is a more 'civilized' ride than the 997.2, model for model (base, S, GTS, and even the GT3).
The 991 is far more of a GT car than the 997.2 was, which has its pros and cons. It's definitely more suited to be a DD, even on questionable roads like mine.

Much like Transcon, I too am of the opinion that I would like to own and drive as many great cars in my life as I can. Consequently, when I sold my porsche, I bought a new 6th gen Camaro 2SS-- yes a camaro-- after I read the rave reviews on Motor trend and Car and Driver, when it beat out the M4 in multiple tests on the road and track. I didn't give a fu*k what any friend of mine thought about it or how I would like, etc, and that's my best advice to anyone else on here contemplating what they should get next.

I've owned 2 porsches and I'm very blessed/fortunate that I will be able to own several more if I so desire. In fact, the next generation GT4 will be in my near future for 2019.
But in the meantime, I'm pulling the trigger on the M2. I have a week 38 build and placed my deposit last week, which means I will be selling my camaro after only a year. Why you ask? Because while I'm glad I took the plunge with my first american muscle car, I like but don't love my camaro, and I've been semi obsessed with the M2 since last year when Jeremy Clarkson declared his favorite M car in over 20 years.

I want to go back to a car that feels tossable, but still has plenty of torque. Having recently driven the M2 in the rain in Atlanta on less than stellar roads, I really really liked it. It didn't feel harsh at all, but then again I'm coming from a Camaro, and before that a 997.2 GTS. The clutch is far more linear than my Camaro, and the car felt so nimble and responsive.
I also really liked sitting up a bit higher c/w my previous Porsches or the Camaro. Not everyone cares about that, but for me, it's more confidence inspiring to sit a bit higher, especially when you're surrounded by rednecks in pick ups.
Your assessment between 997.2 and 991 is spot on.
I currently have 11’ 997.2 gts 6mt and 991.1 c2s cab 7mt.
I think the difference between the two are like the difference between M2 and M4 (even though I have no seat time in the M2)
You drive a 911 because you want to go for a drive. You drive a BMW because you have to get somewhere. Who cares about infotainment system in a 911. I’ve had to change out my PCM on the 991.1 under warranty. The idrive is much better system. And if u buy car for the infotainment then get the BMW (That is why my wife drives X6M and not the cayenne turbo s)
There is something magical about a 911 NA. And I think it has to be a 3.8 and not the base 3.4 when it comes to 997 and 991. The cab on the 991.1 is better executed than the past 911 cab due to the magnesium top. The rigidity is almost similar to the coupe. The driving dynamics suffers slightly due to the extra weight and not the rigidity. The 7mt is a waste. I guess Porsche just wanted to be the 1st to have a 7mt. In almost 4 years of ownership, I’ve been in 7th gear maybe hand full of time. GT4 short shifter kit is a must for 991.1 manual. I drive 991.1 a lot more because the wife prefers the ride over the 997.
With that being said, I think the 997.2 gts coupe is the perfect 911 that is not a GT 911. The 6mt is perfect. The hydraulic steering is somewhat similar to my son’s 335is, which is great. When I go out just for a drive on my own, I always get in my Carrera White GTS. This is one car I will keep until I die. Anyone looking for their 1st 911 should look into 997.2 GTS 6MT (they are difficult to find but worth searching and waiting). And it has to be a manual.
With all that, I’m seriously considering a M2 for DD. The WRX I got 10 months ago is not doing it for me. The lesson is; never listen to your college student son.
Appreciate 0