BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Downpipe Install?

05-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #67
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessetaylor1 View Post
1. Do I need any special things to jack the car up and use jack stands?
I went through this in my post, but to be more clear...

You'll likely need a low profile jack, and one that will be able to pump with very little movement on the handle. I used this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...ump-62326.html.

Even with low profile and rapid pump, you still need to get the whole body of the jack under the front bumper because the center jack point is so far back. I did this by jacking the car on one side, as normal, with a shaped hockey puck that I made, and then put 2 inches of wood under one of the front wheels. That was enough to raise the car to put the whole jack body under and raise the car up.

For the jack stands, I modified a standard set of these jack stands: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-Ton-...nds-69597.html.

All jack stands that I'm aware of, have a cupped shaped head, which I guess would be used to support a rear axle or similar, and are almost entirely useless for most modern cars.

I used a diamond grit blade in a reciprocating saw to cut the sides off the head, and then hot glued a section of a hockey puck into the cup to provide some support. This modified head now fits into the factory plastic cup jacking points.

I'll go and take some photos to show what I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessetaylor1 View Post
2. What female star socket sizes do I need for the install?
E10, and it's just for the centre exhaust hanger. Unbolt it to move the exhaust to the side.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #68
Nezil
Major
Rep

So some photos:

Modified vs Standard Jack Stand Head

Modified Hockey Pack Jack Pad

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2018, 12:11 AM   #69
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

I have some low-profile ramps, no jacking required. I also don’t remember using any special sockets in the 3 times I’ve done the DP install.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 02:13 AM   #70
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

any recommendations on a torquing tool for it? my torque wrench is about 40cm long lol..
      05-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #71
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I fitted my FabSpeed Saturday morning. I noticed they changed the top part of the DP to a cast Aluminium piece now, which doesn't have the 'dent' in it to clear the pipe that's close by.

The other issue I had was that the bottom mount that bolts the DP to the engine, didn't line up really at all. I ended up bending both the DP bracket and the original bracket so that I was able to bolt everything together, but I was a bit disappointed that it was so far off to begin with.

I was also surprised that I got no leaks once installed. I had awful trouble in previous cars getting no leaks between tapered flanges, but this was fine.
We've got a M235 owner with the same apparent alignment/fitment issue with his new gen catted FS downpipe. Look familiar?

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488578

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1524357259

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1524357259
      05-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #72
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Hey Everyone,

We are aware of both of these issues.

We are currently gathering as much information as we can on these incidents, including everything and everyone that was involved the fabrication process.

Even after we updated the cone on this product, we have had a perfect fit reported on a majority of the installs, so we still currently believe that most of individual products themselves have not been compromised.

If your unit does not fit properly, please contact us immediately so we can rectify the issue and find out more information that will help us ensure each and every one of our customers achieves a perfect fit with their product.
Appreciate 1
McGary911467.00
      05-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #73
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
We've got a M235 owner with the same apparent alignment/fitment issue with his new gen catted FS downpipe. Look familiar?
Yes... very! My fitment was EXACTLY the same as that.

I ended up doing the same thing that the OP in that thread did, but I'm not happy about it either. I'm also concerned that I had every intention of re-fitting the stock DP before servicing, and I now have a bent stock bracket as a result of trying to get the Fabspeed Cat to fit.

I DIY installed mine, and would be happy to change it out with one that fits correctly once Fabspeed has got to the bottom of the problem.

There are some minor costs associated with doing this however, because you're supposed to replace the bolts on the bottom stiffening plate every time you take it off (per BMW torque specs), and you're also supposed to replace the exhaust brackets and gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
Hey Everyone,

We are aware of both of these issues.

We are currently gathering as much information as we can on these incidents, including everything and everyone that was involved the fabrication process.

Even after we updated the cone on this product, we have had a perfect fit reported on a majority of the installs, so we still currently believe that most of individual products themselves have not been compromised.

If your unit does not fit properly, please contact us immediately so we can rectify the issue and find out more information that will help us ensure each and every one of our customers achieves a perfect fit with their product.
I appreciate you being involved in this Fabspeed Motorsport; please do let me know what you need from me to work out a solution. My cat is fitted, but I too am not happy with the bending of the brackets required to get it to fit.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #74
Nezil
Major
Rep

As you all know, I experienced the fitment issue with the FabSpeed Sport Cat, and I'd like to give my perspective on the way that FabSpeed have handled the issue.

My attitude is that accidents like this happen, and FabSpeed reached out to me directly (via PM) before I had a chance to reach them, which in my mind is fantastic customer service.

They've looked into the problem quickly and efficiently; discovered the issue, and admitted publicly to their mistake, which is ownership of the problem as well.

I've been in touch with FabSpeed via PM, and I'm confident that they will 'make it right' with every customer affected.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #75
diesekte
Rep
Drives: E30

Any tips on getting this fitted easily? It is a royal ball ache to get the front vband flange on...basically it will NOT go on, and I can't get everything to line up. I think I have one of the "bad" ones as I don't have a dent in the top and the bracket doesn't line up either. I've done way more ambitious projects way easier...I hate to just blame the product but this straight up does not fit well at all.

I seem to have a different but additional issue where the forward flange on the fabspeed pipe is too thick - visibly much thicker than the stock pipe. This results in it being impossible to get the front vband back on.

Last edited by diesekte; 05-24-2018 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #76
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesekte View Post
Any tips on getting this fitted easily? It is a royal ball ache to get the front vband flange on...basically it will NOT go on, and I can't get everything to line up. I think I have one of the "bad" ones as I don't have a dent in the top and the bracket doesn't line up either. I've done way more ambitious projects way easier...I hate to just blame the product but this straight up does not fit well at all
I found that it was important to get the left side on first, and then the right, sort of starting at the top. When you've got it on correctly, you probably won't be able to put the bolt through the bottom because it will be too far apart. You'll need to use something like channel lock pliers to pull the two sides together and then the bolt should slide through.

I don't deny that it's annoying, because you're effectively doing this with one hand, and supporting the DP with the other.

Don't screw the bracket on until you've got the clamps on loosely top and bottom. It's tempting to do that to take the weight, but I wouldn't do that even if it did line up perfectly.

Can you post a picture of the top of the DP. If it's cast aluminium, then you might be affected. If it's not a cast piece, then you're probably have one that's new old stock.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #77
diesekte
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #78
Nezil
Major
Rep

That's cast... You may be affected, get in touch with Fabspeed Motorsport if they haven't contacted you already. They'll sort you out, but as has already been discussed, it is still possible, and safe to fit, if you don't want to wait.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #79
diesekte
Rep

Yeah I'm not sure....the fitment on this is atrocious. The thing that really gets me is I just ordered this as well, 2 weeks ago, after they identified and knew about the problem
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:07 PM   #80
Nezil
Major
Rep

I'm not sure that's fair.... Their investigation was only concluded a day or two ago.

It's probably true that they knew there was an ongoing investigation, but it wasn't clear at that point if there actually was an issue or not. Had it turned out that there wasn't an issue, you'd have been annoyed that there was a delay in shipping it.

There was obviously a tough decision to be made, and they made one that with the benefit of hind legs may look like the wrong one, but given the available knowledge at the time, would have seemed logical.

Last edited by Nezil; 05-24-2018 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #81
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

So its all sorted now?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:19 PM   #82
diesekte
Rep

Nah, I've waited months for parts and been fine. What has got me more annoyed is I have now wasted a day and my arm is all rubbed raw from the plastic under the car trying to fit a part that was either poorly designed or is the wrong one for this application.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #83
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
So its all sorted now?
The current situation is that it's safe to install, though it will result in some bending of the bracket. If the bracket were ever to fail, it would be covered by the lifetime warranty that FabSpeed offers.

It's not appropriate for FabSpeed to talk publicly about what they are going to do to 'make it right' with their customers, because every customer has different situation / needs. I have spoken with FabSpeed about my situation, and I'm happy, and I'm sure that they will do the right thing with others.

So... to summarise, you can stick with what you've got and I'm 99% sure that everything will be fine, and in the unlikely event that it's not you've got the warranty. If you prefer to sort out something else, get in touch with FabSpeed and they'll work out a solution.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 11:29 PM   #84
diesekte
Rep

I messaged them. It actually is not possible to fit. If I could get it on there with slight modification, it would still imo be unacceptable but at least another option. The flange is too thick and will not bolt down whatsoever. The stock pipe went back on in less than 5 mins and the vband closed with just hand pressure. This is absolutely an additional design flaw, unrelated to the fact the dent is missing (not sure how important that is tbh), and the fact the brackets don't line up. If you rotate the stock pipe you can find kind of a sweet spot, where everything lined up and the mating surfaces are flat as well. The fabspeed pipe does not have that spot. Even at best it seems like part of the mating surface doesn't sit flat, or the O2 sensors are banging into something, or the brackets are a mile apart - at no point do things seem harmonious.

I'm sure things will get sorted but I would strongly advise anyone against ordering until fabspeed is able to definitely state they have fixed the supply chain/design/whatever problem and can absolutely guarantee it won't happen again, and/or have removed all effected product.

Again, I'm less peeved about waiting 2 weeks to get the part and more about wasting an entire evening/night on something that never should've passed QC in the first place.

Last edited by diesekte; 05-24-2018 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
Who?484.50
      05-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #85
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Wow. Sorry to hear about the recent issues. I’m kind of glad I got one of the early ones with the dent. It went on great. Top clamp was still a PITA, but that’s the way it is.

When i installed mine, the dent wasn’t posted anywhere. All I could do was use the fabspeed email form to ask if it was damage. I’m always a little iffy with those email forms but fabspeed got back to me within an hour. Pretty good service.

If it was REAL damage, I’d have to settle it through the vendor. That could be hit or miss, I guess. I told the fabspeed guy I bought from x ph. He said you’ll be fine with Mike.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #86
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I read the 235 thread on this as well. The mistake was trying to troubleshoot it via pics and over the internet. The process should be:

1. I think there is a problem with the part so I'll pay to have it shipped back to FS
2. FS inspects it, compares to what they have on hand and sends me report of what they find
3. If part is bad, FS sends me a new part and pays for shipping
4. If part is not bad, FS sends me back original part and I pay for shipping
5. If we can't agree on doing #3 or #4 they keep the part and refund me the cost of the part (or arrange the return through the vendor).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #87
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

All I want to say is be safe. Jack it up properly. I’ve dropped a car or 2 in my day. None of the times on myself. THe actual downpipe install is relatively easy. If u can get inder the car safely.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #88
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
The current situation is that it's safe to install, though it will result in some bending of the bracket. If the bracket were ever to fail, it would be covered by the lifetime warranty that FabSpeed offers.

It's not appropriate for FabSpeed to talk publicly about what they are going to do to 'make it right' with their customers, because every customer has different situation / needs. I have spoken with FabSpeed about my situation, and I'm happy, and I'm sure that they will do the right thing with others.

So... to summarise, you can stick with what you've got and I'm 99% sure that everything will be fine, and in the unlikely event that it's not you've got the warranty. If you prefer to sort out something else, get in touch with FabSpeed and they'll work out a solution.
No im not referring to making it right by the customers, but the part themselves.

Im waiting for fabspeed to say they have identified the problem, and it has been with customers reporting the same. So far, they said for the majority, it fits fine, which to me is not really good enough of an answer
Appreciate 0