BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rim protection???

05-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Rim protection???

Okay.

Never had scratched or dinged my wheels/rims including all my life of driving experience. (except tracking wheels) Believe me I am very OCD about car wash and will be able to spot any imperfection as I clean mine every weekend.

Just swapped HREs for summer and was washing my car last Sunday as spotted small damage (about less than 1.5 mm) (not scratched or curbed) possibly by a stone on a street hitting on the surface.
Beautiful satin black paint was damaged and was showing the bare metal.
I know it is small but still driving me nuts!! Thinking about purchasing a touch up to cover it up.

No one in normal situation will be able to spot it but as a fanatic, cant stand it and it is my pretty much first experience.

While I was surfing on internet. I found something interesting.
https://www.rimringz.com/product/rim...BoCWhAQAvD_BwE

I know it is fugly, but looks like this will be sort of "permanent solution" for any possible damage that could be caused any freaking road hazard unless you really curbing very hard.

Anyone have something like this???? Any reviews??
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
M2CompKenny
Rep
Drives: M2C LBB

I have not seen that brand before, but a friend fitted AlloyGator's to his Merc. They looked terrible and things got worse when one of the fronts dislocated whilst driving and managed to do quite a bit of damage to the wing of his car.

I'd save your money for a refurb once they get worse with unavoidable stone chips.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Kenny View Post
I have not seen that brand before, but a friend fitted AlloyGator's to his Merc. They looked terrible and things got worse when one of the fronts dislocated whilst driving and managed to do quite a bit of damage to the wing of his car.

I'd save your money for a refurb once they get worse with unavoidable stone chips.
Yeah make sense.
If somehow it gets dislocated from proper mount on the wheel. Damage could be catastrophic if it hits any painted surface.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
M2CompKenny
Rep
Drives: M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Yeah make sense.
If somehow it gets dislocated from proper mount on the wheel. Damage could be catastrophic if it hits any painted surface.

Thank you!
You're welcome, it was something that I had considered for a previous car, but after my friend's experience, I soon forgot about it
Appreciate 1