BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Second trackday went a bit wrong!

02-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
Maximoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Second trackday went a bit wrong!

so today I did my second trackday in the M2 at abingdon airfield..... the car was absolutely tremendous.... Standard brakes were not an issue and I was pushing.... so much so that I span pretty badly (1st black flag). Then had a very near miss with a lancer evo I was chasing down.... my day ended there.

First session Started off pretty nervous just finding my way around.

Second session was really starting to push the car in sport plus getting a bit sideways at times, but controlled

Third session was blisteringly quick and catching up to caterhams etc.

Fourth session just got a bit too cocky!

The general consensus on the car from friends (one of whom has 200 plus trackdays under his belt and currently tracks a Mclaren 650s previously a GT3) he wants one as his daily. The other guys (also serious trackdayers) were astonished at the balance, the brakes (did they change these with the LCI???) and the looks of it in the metal.... one other has shortlisted one for his next car aswell.

To sum up a fantastic and fun riot of a trackday car (just don't get too cocky!!!)
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
S1monQc223.50
DOMs335D220.50
      02-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Nice write up. I am going to a pretrack meeting tomorrow with our first track day scheduled May 11th. Haven’t decided whether I am going to take her out or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
Maximoosh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Nice write up. I am going to a pretrack meeting tomorrow with our first track day scheduled May 11th. Haven’t decided whether I am going to take her out or not.
Do it mate! You'll love it even more.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Is it your first ever track time ?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Is it your first ever track time ?
No. I have been a member of the Puget Sound BMW club since 1973. Too many track days to count.

My E46 M3 was a monster on the track.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
imolam3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Imola M3, 2017 AW M2 PE

Quote:
No. I have been a member of the Puget Sound BMW club since 1973. Too many track days to count.

My E46 M3 was a monster on the track.
I used to frequent Pacific Raceway all the time when we lived in WA 2002-2007. Is that track still in operation? Left before the Ridge was built.

My track car back then was a 97 Dakar sedan M3. If you see Jim Millet, my first instructor please tell him I said *Hello*

Tony V.
2017 Alpine White M2 Performance Edition
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I found Sport/Sport+ way too twitchy and unpredictable on track...totally threw the balance off in the car a couple of times. After bedding the new brake pads and getting my first few laps with the car, I switched of DSC and the car behaves normally. Very easy to rotate and slide and recover

Crested Phil's Hill corner at Buttonwillow (13CW) and the tail got a little lose but was easy to bring it back into shape
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I found Sport/Sport+ way too twitchy and unpredictable on track...totally threw the balance off in the car a couple of times. After bedding the new brake pads and getting my first few laps with the car, I switched of DSC and the car behaves normally. Very easy to rotate and slide and recover

Crested Phil's Hill corner at Buttonwillow (13CW) and the tail got a little lose but was easy to bring it back into shape
Agreed.

Once you get used to the car, even Euro MDM upsets the balance too much. This car is so easy to drive at the limit with DSC off you can almost fall asleep when you’re in that zen zone.

Love it.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #9
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The brakes on the M2 are not bad for novice track drivers, the M Performance School uses stock brake pads on their M2's and during advanced M school we pounded on them pretty hard and didn't have any brake issues, having said that upgrading to a track pad is well worth doing. The M2 is a lot of fun on track, very easy car to drive fast with great balance, it is the only car that the M school will allow to be driven with DSC off because the balance is so good. I will be tracking my car soon here in AZ
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2018, 02:10 AM   #10
Maximoosh
Private
Rep

Thanks guys, very much appreciated. I guess dsc off needs to be investigated further soon, I was just in sport/ sport+
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
The brakes on the M2 are not bad for novice track drivers, the M Performance School uses stock brake pads on their M2's and during advanced M school we pounded on them pretty hard and didn't have any brake issues, having said that upgrading to a track pad is well worth doing. The M2 is a lot of fun on track, very easy car to drive fast with great balance, it is the only car that the M school will allow to be driven with DSC off because the balance is so good. I will be tracking my car soon here in AZ

M performance schools use the upgraded OE pad, not the stock pads that the car is shipped with.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #12
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximoosh View Post
The other guys (also serious trackdayers) were astonished at the balance, the brakes (did they change these with the LCI???)
Brakes are identical between LCI and pre LCI...I must say with different pads they work really great!
      02-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #13
Maximoosh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Quote:
The other guys (also serious trackdayers) were astonished at the balance, the brakes (did they change these with the LCI???)
Brakes are identical between LCI and pre LCI...I must say with different pads they work really great!
I found that the standard pads were fine, not sure what everyone's on about them being terrible.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
I found that the standard pads were fine, not sure what everyone's on about them being terrible.
The pads are fine for 98% of M2 owners on the street and new track drivers. Once your driving skill increases so will the demands on your brakes, etc. as well. Switching to a pad that is made specifically for track driving will benefit you in a number of ways. For now, just have fun and learn.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      03-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #15
Maximoosh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjoey View Post
Quote:
The pads are fine for 98% of M2 owners on the street and new track drivers. Once your driving skill increases so will the demands on your brakes, etc. as well. Switching to a pad that is made specifically for track driving will benefit you in a number of ways. For now, just have fun and learn.
Im not exactly a novice. Been doing trackdays for a few years... had a track prepped jcw mini, and then a cayman S. done a fair few, including Spa, nurburgring, oulton park (few times my home circuit), bedford twice. Had a few tuition sessions aswell.... But maybe more novice than I think as I thought the brakes were fine and I was really pushing.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #16
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
M performance schools use the upgraded OE pad, not the stock pads that the car is shipped with.
Asked the tech that works on the car, he said they stopped doing that a couple of years ago. Says all of the cars now run as they are delivered except they are switched to the new Conti tires because of sponsorship.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #17
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Im not exactly a novice. Been doing trackdays for a few years... had a track prepped jcw mini, and then a cayman S. done a fair few, including Spa, nurburgring, oulton park (few times my home circuit), bedford twice. Had a few tuition sessions aswell.... But maybe more novice than I think as I thought the brakes were fine and I was really pushing.
I did my first weekend on stock pads and then this past weekend swapped to Pagid RS29, the Pagid wouldn't be fun to live with day to day but they are a nice upgrade for the track, great initial bite, no fade.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      04-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #18
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Don't get me started on M2 brakes. The bottom line is they are not satisfactory for advanced track drivers. They overheat and leave uneven deposits on the rotors which causes brake judder. Ask me how I know. Nonetheless, adding the Pagid RS129s solves the problem for track days. Oh, and one more thing, the BMW drivers schools don't get anywhere near real track speeds and track conditions, so a comparison of brake performance at a BMWs school cannot be compared to a typical track day for an advanced driver.
      04-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #19
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Don't get me started on M2 brakes. The bottom line is they are not satisfactory for advanced track drivers. They overheat and leave uneven deposits on the rotors which causes brake judder. Ask me how I know. Nonetheless, adding the Pagid RS129s solves the problem for track days. Oh, and one more thing, the BMW drivers schools don't get anywhere near real track speeds and track conditions, so a comparison of brake perform at a BMWs school cannot be compared to a typical track day for an advanced driver.
cosign the brake judder with oem pads, but goes away after a while of normal driving
Appreciate 0